Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 TV series of Interest to Realms Fans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  13:57:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Tomorrow PeopleJumper, X-Men, and Heroes rolled into one, save it’s low budget (and the title sounds lame). It has potential though.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  14:03:11  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well but ordering form Amazon almost doubles the price so its actually cheaper to have a friend buy it for me. Still I have built up a decent collection of anime and my movie collection is extremely vast.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  10:05:27  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The Tomorrow PeopleJumper, X-Men, and Heroes rolled into one, save it’s low budget (and the title sounds lame). It has potential though.

lol

have you watched this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  12:29:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The trailer, yes. The movie, no. And I do not intend to. I hate films that use handheld cameras to give a ludicrous impersonation of reality. Cloverfield is the first and the last movie of that type that I saw.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2013 :  08:24:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode 85 of Hunter X Hunter: Neferpitou is bad, bad “kitty.” Sayonara, Kite. May you rest in pieces, er, peace.

Finally, Chairman Netero is coming to the rescue . . .

One of the things I like about this episode is the dynamics of Gon and Kilua. Their differences seem to complement rather than drive them apart. Though for a moment there, when Kilua is looking strangely at Gon (who’s bathed in sunlight), I thought he’s going to kiss him.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  12:44:57  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started watching Firefly. I dont think it ever really came to India so nobody I know has seen it but I was really curious about it after seeing a lot of praise on the Internet.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:08:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the US, and I still haven't seen it... its on my 'to do' list.

I draw inspiration for my games from so many diverse sources, I think just about every TV program is 'of interest' to me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  16:27:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Started watching Firefly. I dont think it ever really came to India so nobody I know has seen it but I was really curious about it after seeing a lot of praise on the Internet.

I'd barely even heard of it before the movie Serenity came out. The previews for Serenity made me want to see it, and I enjoyed the movie enough to want the DVDs of the TV series -- without watching them, first. When I got the DVDs, for either Christmas or my birthday, I wound up watching the entire series in 2 days -- and they were workdays, too. It's still a particular fave, and it's how my wife was introduced to Nathan Fillion, who is on her list.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  11:37:28  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am about done with one third of the series so far and am enjoying it immensely.
In fact I pretty much forced the rest of my family to watch it as well and they are all fans now .
But there are only 14 episodes overall and no second season so thats a bit of a disappointment.

Edited by - Thauranil on 08 Jul 2013 11:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  15:42:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Episode 95 of Hunter X Hunter: So sad to see the present state of Kite. Though it’s more heart-wrenching to see Gon’s reaction. Neferpitou, watch out!

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  12:30:59  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont worry she gets her just deserts. Looks like the anime will soon catch up to the manga. But unfortunately the manga has been on hiatus for years now.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  13:30:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watched the pilot episode of Sleepy Hollow last night - it was a LOT more involved then I assumed it would be (No 'headless Zhent', this).

They've tied the legend to that of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, which is interesting. The pilot was pretty good (although they immediately killed-off all the actors I recognized ). Not sure if its going to get better or worse, but for now I would say its 'one to watch' (both figuratively and physically). I was pleasantly surprised how Once Upon a Time turned out (I had ignored the first season, to my shame), and this has a similar vibe (based on folklore, but with so much more tacked-on). Its also a whole lot grittier then OUaT (the coming attractions look like a cross between Buffy and The Walking dead).

George Washington had a mystical map... c'mon, how cool is that?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  13:43:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Watched the pilot episode of Sleepy Hollow last night - it was a LOT more involved then I assumed it would be (No 'headless Zhent', this).

They've tied the legend to that of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, which is interesting. The pilot was pretty good (although they immediately killed-off all the actors I recognized ). Not sure if its going to get better or worse, but for now I would say its 'one to watch' (both figuratively and physically). I was pleasantly surprised how Once Upon a Time turned out (I had ignored the first season, to my shame), and this has a similar vibe (based on folklore, but with so much more tacked-on). Its also a whole lot grittier then OUaT (the coming attractions look like a cross between Buffy and The Walking dead).

George Washington had a mystical map... c'mon, how cool is that?

I was impressed as well. And, from the fact that no one mentioned it, I'm assuming they are writing it that their universe never had the original story of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman (since they weren't going "Really?" every time he introduced himself).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  14:08:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know something, that didn't even bother me, which is weird, because it bothers me like Hell when I watch Elementary (and I like that show).

The first couple of episodes, I was like, "why isn't anyone pointing-out the coincidences?"

In Sleepy Hollow, I also like the 'secret societies' thing they've alluded to - hope they develop that further (without getting silly).

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2013 :  14:53:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Dont worry she gets her just deserts. Looks like the anime will soon catch up to the manga. But unfortunately the manga has been on hiatus for years now.
Most unfortunate indeed. What I'm hoping is that the anime creators would continue writing the story based on the where manga artist left off and that the artist would approve.

On a happy note, I was really thrilled to see episode 96 last Sunday. The ambitious Chimera Ants chose the wrong city to invade--Meteor City, home of the Spiders. And now the Spiders (most of them, anyway) have gathered to do some "fumigation." Oh, and I liked Bonolenov's power, specially "Jupiter," and the crater it left upon hitting the poor Ant was of equal size to that created by Ovugin's fist. Shalnark's Autopilot mode, while impressive, kinda reminded me of Goku's Supersaiyan state. I must say I also liked the "Queen's" reaction when Feitan asked her where the queen was, and she said she was it, and he said, "You must be joking." Insolent boy.

Anyone watched the first two episodes of Korra, Book II: Spirits? I wasn't even aware they already aired it last week; it was one of my friends who just told me so. Anyway, it felt underwhelming. Perhaps I expected too much. The whole "stuck in Republic City" plot is proving to be tiring, so I'm slightly happy they moved on to the Southern Water Tribe, and there's a promise of more going around the globe with Korra's airbending training. The creators must understand that a large part of what made the original Avatar series a worldwide hit is its focus on adventure--on nearly endless, fun journey from one nation, one village, one dot in a map to another. Korra, on the contrary, felt "stuck."

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  18:28:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agents of Shield......watched it on dvr, wow......I really hoped for more. It is nowhere near as week done as Arrow is. I can't imagine any non marvel fans sticking around and keeping the ratings where they were. Special effects were bad, even considering tv budget vs movie budget.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  23:38:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Agents of Shield......watched it on dvr, wow......I really hoped for more. It is nowhere near as week done as Arrow is. I can't imagine any non marvel fans sticking around and keeping the ratings where they were. Special effects were bad, even considering tv budget vs movie budget.

I didn't think the special effects were bad... I've certainly seen far worse. And my wife is not a Marvel (or even a comics fan in general) fan, but she quite enjoyed the show.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  01:55:31  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Urgh! I've seen so many mixed reviews on the SHIELD series that it makes me want to beat up my TV for being so temperamental. I can get all the the major networks EXCEPT ABC, for some reason. So I didn't get to watch it. I'm going to be checking it out on the net, though, as soon as I get a chance.

Sleepy Hollow- WOW! I have been anticipating this one ever since I heard about it, and it does NOT disappoint! The story so far has been amazing, with everything one might expect from such a tale- witches, demons, undead, and lots of spooky locales and gruesome deaths. But adding in the whole Four Horsemen spin? And Washington fighting to stop the Apocalypse was such a great idea! I love it so far!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  05:58:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Watched the pilot for The Blacklist. Quite enjoyobale, with interesting ground work / promises that (hopefully) would make the future episodes quite as good or better. Spader nails it. (And yes, he does have the right "voice" for a villain--so casting him to do the voice of Ultron is, I believe, a good choice.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  11:07:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Watched the pilot for The Blacklist. Quite enjoyobale, with interesting ground work / promises that (hopefully) would make the future episodes quite as good or better. Spader nails it. (And yes, he does have the right "voice" for a villain--so casting him to do the voice of Ultron is, I believe, a good choice.)

I'm thinking Spader's going to be providing more than just the "voice" for Ultron. In fact, given the success of the Hulk's CGI motion-capture in The Avengers, I'd expect that Spader's visage may also find itself shaped onto some interpretation of Ultron's adamantium face during the film.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  03:56:21  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight's Korra was pretty good. I liked the pacing, the Bolin/Eska gags, and Korra's development. The animation during the prison fight was great, but elsewhere it felt more lifeless than season one's animation.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  13:48:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I didn't think the special effects were bad... I've certainly seen far worse. And my wife is not a Marvel (or even a comics fan in general) fan, but she quite enjoyed the show.

ehhh...the whole punching his fists and feet into the brick to climb that building looked like it was done by amatures......but if the stories get better, I can overlook things like that........usually, but maybe not by Marvel.

It's their own fault, they set the bar so high with the movies, to me the pilot of this show cheapened the brand. But why should Marvel care about me? Well....I have never and most likely will never buy their comics, their only way to increase $$$ flow is to get guys/people like me to buy into their new properties. And since I have already canceled future recordings(and will now only watch live, if I have time and not set aside valuble time to watch a recording) I wont show up as a viewer anymore. Unless I come back here next week and you guys are all saying it was improved and a much better episode.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Sep 2013 13:52:29
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2013 :  06:17:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Tonight's Korra was pretty good. I liked the pacing, the Bolin/Eska gags, and Korra's development. The animation during the prison fight was great, but elsewhere it felt more lifeless than season one's animation.
Hmm. I'm finding each episode rather . . . boring. Tired of seeing almost the same plot. And Korra's personality sometimes tends to grate on the nerves.

Really miss Ang.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2013 :  06:21:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm thinking Spader's going to be providing more than just the "voice" for Ultron. In fact, given the success of the Hulk's CGI motion-capture in The Avengers, I'd expect that Spader's visage may also find itself shaped onto some interpretation of Ultron's adamantium face during the film.
That would be tough, schedule-wise. He's a main cast in The Blacklist, and they'll be shooting for the all the episodes for the first season year round. If Avengers starts shooting later this year, I don't know how he'd juggle that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2013 :  07:05:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That would be tough, schedule-wise. He's a main cast in The Blacklist, and they'll be shooting for the all the episodes for the first season year round. If Avengers starts shooting later this year, I don't know how he'd juggle that.

Well, last I heard/read on the subject... the next Avengers film wasn't entering pre-production until late 2013/early 2014.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2013 :  07:26:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Given the good reviews and outstanding ratings of the pilot, and if the trend continues, they'd probably shoot for the series nonstop. So the producers likely have two options: replace Spader or put the series in hiatus until Spader finishes Avengers. Which are hardly ideal, IMO.

Or they can simply have Spader do just the voice-over for Ultron, which takes considerably less time.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  17:49:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given the good reviews and outstanding ratings of the pilot, and if the trend continues, they'd probably shoot for the series nonstop. So the producers likely have two options: replace Spader or put the series in hiatus until Spader finishes Avengers. Which are hardly ideal, IMO.

Or they can simply have Spader do just the voice-over for Ultron, which takes considerably less time.

I read a recent interview withSpader where he discusses this. He is going to be able to Finish the full 22 episodes of the blacklist and he said he would have to pack his last two nights there so he can leave immediately for the avengers movie work, which he sounded like was more than voice work.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 10 Oct 2013 17:51:04
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  17:52:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw episode 1 of The Arrow season two......really good.....it is by far my favorite tv adaptation of a comic book story.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  03:36:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I read a recent interview withSpader where he discusses this. He is going to be able to Finish the full 22 episodes of the blacklist and he said he would have to pack his last two nights there so he can leave immediately for the avengers movie work, which he sounded like was more than voice work.

If it's the Geeks of Doom interview you're referring to... he also mentions that he'll likely be doing some motion-capture for Ultron -- although whether that's just visage or whole body motion-capture, remains to be defined.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  12:45:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I read a recent interview with Spader where he discusses this. He is going to be able to Finish the full 22 episodes of the blacklist and he said he would have to pack his last two nights there so he can leave immediately for the avengers movie work, which he sounded like was more than voice work.
Oh no, that might be a bad sign for the series. Shooting for a major character in a movie would usually take a year. So they'll either be forced to put the series in hiatus for a year, give and take, or, worse, kill off Spader's character (Red) and end the show entirely--which would be a shame.

Here is James Spader's statement to Collider:

quote:
I’m hoping that it’s gonna be a fairly smooth transition, but I don’t know. We’ll wait and see how long The Blacklist plays, and whether it plays a full season or not. If it plays a full season, then I’m sure I will be packing my bags on the last few days of our production on The Blacklist, in preparation to get over to London to start shooting The Avengers.

The viewers of each of the first three episodes never fall below ten million, and if some series out there that average only with one million viewers (and even less) get to stay on air for a couple of seasons, then it's very likely this show is going to extend to season 2, 3, 4 . . .

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Spader that he's given a huge break in Avengers. I just wish things would also work out well for The Blacklist.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000