Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dark Three? (and Cormyr)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  16:39:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know this has been discussed numerous times, and I know in at least a few threads a 'target date' of when the Dark Three ascended to godhood has been estimated.

However, I can't find any threads with 'Dark Three' in the title (which is very strange), and if I search for that in the body of a thread I get too many responses to be useful ('needle in a haystack' thing).

So, my question is, When is that 'window' when they could have ascended? I am actually interested in Myrkul in particular, but since I know the ascended together, I guess that doesn't matter.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2012 17:45:50

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  17:04:42  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after -350 DR,

from Ironfang Keep by Brian James
Then in the late winter months of the Year of Craven Words (-350 DR), a goblinoid horde one-hundred-thousand strong marched against Grong-Haap from the Tortured Lands in the icy north. ... Inside, the priest-king was stunned to discover two grim looking humans sitting nonchalantly upon his giant-crafted throne.
Before Haask could react, a third assassin appeared behind the priest-king, driving a simple iron blade through his back and into his heart. As his life energy pumped into the enchanted dagger, Haask’s form began to shift revealing his true nature as a batrachi-doppelganger. The mysterious trio later exited the keep heading upriver toward the Glacier of the White Wyrm and beyond.

before -88 DR

from Lands of Intrigue:
Rumors flew fast and furious during the Year of Hostile Hails (-88 DR) about the blasphemous activities of Alaric, one of Clan Fyrson's young nobles, and his cohorts, blamed for piracy, theft, fraud, and the worship of dark gods such as Bane and Myrkul.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 18 Sep 2012 17:28:03
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  17:31:30  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Year of Boiling Moats (-359DR) is the date where Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud was defeated.
The adventure Monument of the Ancient in Dungeon 170 States that in the Year of Sycophants (-357 DR) the Dark Three moved against Maram of the Great Spear.

Grand History of the Realms mentions the Church of Myrkul in the Year of the Adamantine Spiral (106 DR).

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 18 Sep 2012 17:35:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  17:45:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph. Thanks for the info, guys.

I am in the middle of reading Ring of Winter, and it explicitly states that Myrkul was worshiped in Cormyr in 159 DR.

Then again, I noticed a few other continuity glitches in regards to Cormyr in that novel - hopefully Garen Thal would care to share his thoughts on the matter (along with Brian James, Ed, and anyone else for that matter).

EDIT: Methinks that those three may have already started the ball rolling by getting their followers to worship them, long before they actually acquired enough power to ascend. There may have been a fairly long period of self-induced exarchood (demi-power status) where they weren't that well known beyond the Eastern Heartlands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2012 17:50:43
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  02:29:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe these scrolls will be of use:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7426

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9249

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10224

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8431

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  09:47:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that - 1st one was really short, but the second one was a good read (lots of interesting things being discussed there, not just the Dark Three).

Silly me - I hadn't even considered doing a search of the individual names.

I'll get to the last two tomorrow, although I pretty-much already decided that my theory in my EDIT above holds some water (in other words, its a good way to fix the glitches). They could have easily been local demi-powers for a time before ascending to true godhood (Bane may have even arrived on Toril already a demigod... perhaps he came over during the Orcgate wars?)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  13:39:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for that - 1st one was really short, but the second one was a good read (lots of interesting things being discussed there, not just the Dark Three).

Silly me - I hadn't even considered doing a search of the individual names.

I'll get to the last two tomorrow, although I pretty-much already decided that my theory in my EDIT above holds some water (in other words, its a good way to fix the glitches). They could have easily been local demi-powers for a time before ascending to true godhood (Bane may have even arrived on Toril already a demigod... perhaps he came over during the Orcgate wars?)

Yeah Iv'e read through that second one more than once....whenever I getr a bit bored in current realms (which is rare) I look around for any new tidbits on Jergal. He might be my first choice for any novel set in the past.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  14:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hmph. Thanks for the info, guys.

I am in the middle of reading Ring of Winter, and it explicitly states that Myrkul was worshiped in Cormyr in 159 DR.

Then again, I noticed a few other continuity glitches in regards to Cormyr in that novel - hopefully Garen Thal would care to share his thoughts on the matter (along with Brian James, Ed, and anyone else for that matter).

EDIT: Methinks that those three may have already started the ball rolling by getting their followers to worship them, long before they actually acquired enough power to ascend. There may have been a fairly long period of self-induced exarchood (demi-power status) where they weren't that well known beyond the Eastern Heartlands.
I'd have to dig up an old copy to offer any meaningful insight on Ring of Winter, considering how long ago I read that book.

Generally speaking, it's best to place the ascension of the Dark Three sometime after the fall of Netheril but before the Dalereckoning. Most estimates I've come up with have them as full gods by around -200 DR, but it's been so long since I bothered to "do the math" on that and a number of other things (Torm's ascension, etc.) that I couldn't really tell you why off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2012 :  18:38:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay - that would place them earlier enough for that novel's back-story. Thanks for the response.

What of you think of my explanation? (if there even is a continuity glitch at this point?)

Anyhow, it just seems that the 'Cormyr' Rayburton remembers living in (1200 years earlier) was just like modern Cormyr... and that doesn't really truck well. Obviously RoW was written before the Cormyr series (in which we got a fairly detailed history). Rayburton had to have been born right around 100 DR or so (because he is fifty-ish in the novel, I assume prior to his immortality), and it shouldn't have been much more then a tiny coastal realm at that point (although its been awhile since I re-read the Cormyr novels, so maybe I'm mistaken?)

Anyhow, I find it interesting that Rayburton is older then Elminster - he should remember Athalantar! (No spoilers, please, I still have a couple of chapters to go).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000