Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Menzoberranzan City of Intrigue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  03:44:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Picked up the book today from the FLGS this afternoon.

The book is set up to support multiple era's of play. So if you play before the Lady Penitant novels, the E and V and the rest of the Drow pantheon are still alive.

I find Lolth's Demon Weave interesting.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  05:04:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You tease! Spill already!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  10:46:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
[...]So if you play before the Lady Penitant novels, the E and V and the rest of the Drow pantheon are still alive. [...]

In my country they say something that translates along the lines of ''they discovered the warm water''. It is obvious that if you play before 1375 DR Eilistraee and Vhaeraun will be still in canon, as it is obvious that you can have them in your Realms in any era you play, no matter what canon says. Fact is that in the canonical (not in mine, or in many others') Realms their story concluded in such a wasteful way, and this is a shame because they and what they stand for can add much to the setting (not to mention that they're widely popular). Whatever...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Aug 2012 11:28:30
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  10:57:17  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
please tell what is the Daemonweave?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  11:16:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Lolth trying to become the new Mystra (by crafting her own Weave).

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Aug 2012 11:28:40
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  13:44:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

It's Lolth trying to become the new Mystra (by crafting her own Weave).

Pretty much, and some of her priestess are none to pleased. Equality with mages! Heresy!

Pure CHAOS!

Shar had the Shadow Weave, Lolth seeks to create her own Demon Weave. She is a spider, and some spiders weave webs. She is having mages seek out magic items to absorb so she can gain the energy to create her Demon Weave.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  13:49:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to run a game during the founding of Menzo, it gives you enough lore to run it. DM has alot of freedom to create and add all that they want.

There is really no crunch in this book. It is edition neutral. It gives the DM rules on how to create a bare bones Drow House.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  17:01:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the book wasn't out until the 21st! Lucky dog!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  19:39:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I thought the book wasn't out until the 21st! Lucky dog!

I went to one of the "Premium Stores" that get stuff a week early.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  07:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Irennan: "Ended" is such a strong word. I'd reserve judgment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:02:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^As they say: ''hope dies last''...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:26:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, do you know something we don't? Spill1!! And I'm dying to know if there is info on the siblings in this book.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  00:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Erik, do you know something we don't? Spill1!! And I'm dying to know if there is info on the siblings in this book.

unfortunately the content with Elistraee and Vhaerun didn't make the final cut. The best way you can voice your support for the siblings would be to contact Wizards directly. who knows, if enough people show interest there a possibility that it could be released online sometime in the future.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  00:36:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:

unfortunately the content with Elistraee and Vhaerun didn't make the final cut. The best way you can voice your support for the siblings would be to contact Wizards directly. who knows, if enough people show interest there a possibility that it could be released online sometime in the future.

How to contact them? Would a simple request to the customer service suffice, or is something else required?

Btw (if you are allowed to explain that), why did they cut the content related to them? As I said, they're widely popular and valid characters that can add much to the FR. With 5e coming and all the stuff I really can't see any real reason behind that...

EDIT: I've contacted the customer service, and waiting their response. Hopefully they'll consider putting the content about Eilistraee and Vhaeraun online in a DDI article, or something...

EDIT2: The response I received was that my letter will be passed along to the competent team. Now I can only keep my fingers crossed...

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Aug 2012 03:02:51
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know the loremasters have got to stretch whatever limits are imposed upon them by cramming rough drafts/manuscripts chock full of tidbits of info, only to have to wait and see what the editors and managers will hold onto and keep for the final copy. Page count limits are rough!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  02:43:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering whether it was a matter of page count, or design choice. If it was the former, then there would be a non neglectable chance for the material to be published as -say- a DDI article. If it was the latter, then ''what a waste'' would be the only thing to say IMO.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Aug 2012 02:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  04:12:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So Brian all that I am gonna ask is, was it good stuff?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  08:26:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

quote:

So Brian all that I am gonna ask is, was it good stuff?

As far as I can tell, they were going to be brought back as archfeys. I'm not sure about how it'd have happened, but I'm willing to bet that what the ML (E. merged with V.) sacrificed at the end of the LP isn't her life, but her divine status, making the two siblings become archfeys (as it is the most reasonable route to take to bring the two of them back IMO).

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Aug 2012 10:16:25
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  17:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That description is pretty much spot on Irennan. I would love to share the specific details, but Wizards owns the content of my turnover even if it is not published.

I'd also like to thank BEAST for his invaluable feedback while working on the sourcebook. Sadly, the acknowledgement of his contribution did not make it into the credits as I had intended.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 20 Aug 2012 17:28:50
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  17:40:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a good solution. It brings back two meaningful, valid (and cool, ofc) characters who were unjustly removed from the published Realms, while not lessening their efforts, and while keeping their influence low enough to let the drow still be a feared threat and true to their roots (even tho I deeply dislike their roots...).

Why they cut this content is beyond me, but I hope that the e-mail I sent them won't be ignored and your work will be released as a DDI article. I want Eilistraee and Vhaeraun back in canon in a bad sort of way, as what they stand for adds much depth and flavor (and possibilities for storytelling...) to the Realms. They and their quest totally deserve a place in the new iteration of the FR, a small one maybe, but their own.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Aug 2012 18:17:11
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  21:30:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd also like to thank BEAST for his invaluable feedback while working on the sourcebook. Sadly, the acknowledgement of his contribution did not make it into the credits as I had intended.

Well! We'll just have to consider this our own little WE to that effect, then! Thanks for the nod, Brian.

Honestly, I don't know even know how much of my information made the final cut, yet. The main thing for me will be to see how much the official timeline has been adjusted, or clarified. The other stuff was just gravy.

Looking forward to doing it again, if e'er it concerns my corner of the Realms . . .

Go to Top of Page

Vaeldroth
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  04:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Vaeldroth's Homepage Send Vaeldroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must feel pretty cool to have written the first D&D book for all editions since probably the 1977 Monster Manual. Ever since the AD&D PHB came out, there's been a division in the ranks. Here's hoping it does well! :)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  04:56:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Well! We'll just have to consider this our own little WE to that effect, then! Thanks for the nod, Brian.

Honestly, I don't know even know how much of my information made the final cut, yet. The main thing for me will be to see how much the official timeline has been adjusted, or clarified. The other stuff was just gravy.

Looking forward to doing it again, if e'er it concerns my corner of the Realms . . .

I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to help on products like this!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  06:51:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm jealous. I'd love to be able to help on products like this!

'Twas an honor to be asked.

I finally got to see how this NDA stuff works. You know, when applicants to reality TV shows get accepted, they're told to keep it a secret until after they actually get there where the show will be filmed and the program's producers make the announcements. But you're only talking about a month or two, there. It was a year ago when I first started with this, and I had to keep my mouth shut all that time.

But like I said, it remains to be seen how much of my stuff made it in. It's all such a complicated process, and I just made some suggestions from the sidelines. Brain Brian was obviously the heavy-lifter behind this one.

I think it would be really cool if there were some sort of directory of the resident fan-experts of the various parts of the Realms, here at the 'Keep. That would help not only the designers with future projects, but also whenever we fellow scribes wanted to consult with each other. Over time, certain fellows (and ladies) develop a bit of a reputation for their chosen areas of specialization, but that's still fairly imprecise and unreliable. A handy-dandy chart would surely come in handy.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  08:20:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least you were giving input on a published product. Some of us slave away, creating realmslore for other people's kids' campaign ... @Ericlboyd

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  20:46:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bleh total fail. Not a single bookstore in Bismarck ND ordered this! Ordered from Amazon so I have to wait until Thursday. Can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  20:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vaeldroth

It must feel pretty cool to have written the first D&D book for all editions since probably the 1977 Monster Manual. Ever since the AD&D PHB came out, there's been a division in the ranks. Here's hoping it does well! :)

It was incredible when we learned they wanted a book the focused completely on story and setting. However, we had to look at everything very carefully. Even alignment is edition dependent.

-Eric Menge, Brian's junior assistant lackey

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  22:41:07  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, at least you were giving input on a published product. Some of us slave away, creating realmslore for other people's kids' campaign ... @Ericlboyd

-- George Krashos

Bwahaha!

Never in a million years did I imagine I'd be comparing consultant battle scars with the Krash.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  04:57:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got this baby in the mail today. Really dig the optional rules for house ranking and personal station within a house. I'd love to see the art for this book released on the wizards website. Lots of great stuff in here a DM can plunder for underdark adventures, not just Menzo centric ones. Love the fact that it was a no mechanics, solid book of lore and info! My only regret is that it didn't have another 70 pages of information to push that page count up to 200.

If anyone from wizards reads this, please release the art on the website. It'd be great to have as visual aids for adventures and city writeup stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  10:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the house ranking and personal ranking rules any good? What about house creation? I'm hoping to get my review copy in a few weeks...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  18:38:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bleh total fail. Not a single bookstore in Bismarck ND ordered this! Ordered from Amazon so I have to wait until Thursday. Can't wait!

Apparently there was a snafu with the game distributors. I did not get mine until thursday. My store was supposed to have it tuesday, but the distributor had troublt getting it together here in the Northeast USA.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000