Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Menzoberranzan City of Intrigue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 16 Aug 2012 : 03:44:51
Picked up the book today from the FLGS this afternoon.

The book is set up to support multiple era's of play. So if you play before the Lady Penitant novels, the E and V and the rest of the Drow pantheon are still alive.

I find Lolth's Demon Weave interesting.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shere Khan Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 06:21:06
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

@Shere Khan - Multiple families can have the same name. The drow house names are supposed to derived from prefixes and suffixes. So house Despana means "Victors of the - Night" (Desp-ana) Most names are also made by this prefix-suffix system. Hence why there are many drow named Viconia. There are probably multiple Drizzt Do'Urdens in the world and certainly through the many planes of existence. Just as there are many John Smiths, Mohommed Abullahs and Wei Changs in the real world.

Unlike later sources, the 2e Menzo boxed set contained entirely original house names for Menzo that weren't taken from Greyhawk.

quote:
House Vandree jumped ahead because its Matron Mother was resourceful as described in the 4e campaign setting.

That's useless hand-waving. A house advances because they've gained POWER, and because the ruling council (ie House Baenre) is willing to advance them, as was done with House Barrison Del'Armgo in the past. Otherwise they have to systematically destroy the higher ranked houses one by one without leaving a single surviving witness of sufficient stature to complain to the ruling council. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that Vandree could have somehow gained both the power required and the willingness of the ruling council to advance them. The feeling I got however was that the authors simply decided to advance a few of their favorite houses with little thought to why or how, just for the sake of change. That's nice, but that's not worth buying a book for. I can do that myself, and come up with far better explanations that build on the old lore instead of trampling it.

quote:
Most of what happens is not explained, but why does it need to be? Fill in the blanks yourself.

Dude, I buy books for great story ideas, not for shallow fluff.

quote:
A house being weak at one point does not mean it will stay that. An error or victory can change fortunes.

I don't need to buy a new book to know any of that.

quote:
Think of the real world where nations rise and fall, why would noble families (led by priestesses of a capricious deity no less) not do the same?

I enjoy reading histories on how those nations were built, why they became powerful, how they maintained their power, and why they later fell. That is why I buy books, for a thoughtfully developed background that I can plug and play to create wondrous stories, not for shallow and highly arbitrary fluff that I can create myself in a matter of seconds.

quote:
House Vandree is not the first house to leapfrog over many others, House Del'Armgo did the same as you can read in the 2e Menzo Box Set.

And the 2e Menzo Boxed Set did an excellent job of explaining these advances giving the reader insight into the mechinations of the Drow. The new book doesn't even try to explain the arbitrary changes it presents.

quote:
House Millithor was house #25 in 2e and now is 14, and House Ousttyl was rank like #52 (or something?) in the War of the Spider Queen, for example. (Perhaps refugees from the Ched Nasad House Oustyl merged with Menzo's...there are many possibilities)

If I have to figure it all out for myself then I see no point in buying the book. I can create very good stories myself thank you very much. I can even more easily create an arbitrary list of winners and losers just as the new book does It's both more useful and time consuming to come up with why they're winners and losers, and that's where the book falls far short.

quote:
Halisstra Melarn is probably not known to have failed. She was transformed into a powerful being by Lolth is all people would know. In the Lady Penitent Series all those drow who followed her and learned her bardic magic obviously thought highly of her. Naming a house after her seems appropriate. (Just as you might name a University or City "St. John's") Obviously the more powerful potential matron thought it more prudent to let the other person become Matron for political reasons. (There is more to power than being the figure head, and she probably calculated that was the best move)

I will be highly surprised if WotC will ever state or even imply such a thing. I've grown so used to them trampling carelessly over their own IP that I've lost interest in attempting to rationalize the countless inconsistencies they generate, or in following the numerous arbitrary changes they make for no logical reason. Hopefully Ed can bring some sanity back to the realms, and that includes the Drow. Bob Salvatore however was the primary author of the book on the noble houses in the Menzo boxed set, and nothing even remotely close to its equal has been produced by WoTC on the noble houses of Menzo since.

quote:
The power level number mechanics is an easy thing to answer..... they don't know what number people are using in a game. They don't know how powerful another house is? One house could have more powerful members but a weaker fortress, etc.

All this knowledge was handed to us on a platter in 2e Menzo. It not only gave us insight and made complete sense. Now with the new book you get a a large slice of well-written info from the old 2 e boxed set, mostly from the old city book by Greenwood, along with a bunch of random changes that you're better off making yourself than buying a book for. More than half of the new book is in fact a word for word regurgitation of Greenwood's old City Book. The description of the noble houses on the other hand is downright pathetic in comparison to Salvatore's old masterwork on them from the boxed set.

quote:
If you were to rate yourself in power on 1-15 versus another person, how would you do that? We get these numbers because we are omniscient spectators, the actual people involved are not.

The numbers are arbitrary and useless. In the 2e boxed set I had a real sense of where the houses stood in comparison to each other from their detailed explanations, and the complicated relationship between them generated an endless number of great stories with minimal effort on my part. On the other hand the new book contains a little bit of shallow fluff that leaves all the heavy lifting to me as the DM. Bah.

That said, I don't blame the authors. Published D&D works have become shallower over the years, even as the combat splats got bigger, the page counts dropped, the fonts got larger, and the only thing that improved from my perspective was the artwork. Personally I think D&D has lost its way. There's more to a good adventure than killing monsters and collecting loot. The story matters too, and those have grown shallower over the years.

quote:
It is unfortunate they couldn't record all new material but they are a company trying to make money. When did the 2e box set come out? Can it still be bought other than through something like paizo? I bought it at a second hand books store, not everyone is so lucky or necessarily interested in doing that. This product seems very good to me and accessible to new audiences. Obviously other people agree with me since it was nominated for an award!

The book may be of some significant value to someone totally new to Menzo who can't get a hold of the older boxed set. The parts lifted verbatim from the original boxed set -are- excellently written. Greenwood, Salvatore, and the other authors who assisted them did a masterful job writing that set. For those who have that original boxed set from which 80% of the material in the new book comes, the new book just doesn't measure up. It didn't need to be entirely, or even mostly comprised of new material, but it presents the small bit of new material it contains so shallowly that imho it is a major disappointment.

quote:
EDIT: I see why the canon matters to those of us attached to us. But these things are meant to be used by us in our own stories and worlds we create (hence the list of alternate histories, also included) I just started (I bought this book yesterday) planning out my own interpretation of the new information in 1490 with levels of the characters such as "First Daughter: Myerynyl (CE female drow Cleric [Lolth] 8)" and "Matron Mother: Quenthel CE female Drow Cleric [Lolth] 15 Divine Disciple 5 Hierophant 3)" If you don't like something, change it. I'm not planning on having a House Melarn in my own Menzo, for example.

Likewise, there is a lot that was published in late 3e and 4e that I'm totally ignoring because I consider it hacked together without much thought, and I'm perfectly capable of coming up with better myself.

quote:
BUT

I am confused about the part where it says sisters of nobles lose their noble status when a new matron mother is named. If that is the case, why did Quenthel etc. never seem to have this fear when Triel was Matron Mother? It seemed like the Baenre family members were planning on being around each other for quite a while not lose their noble status. It says Sos'Umpta is going to start a new house because of this when the daughter of Quenthel becomes a High Priestess. if everyone gets booted out of the family with every matron mother how are any left? That doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't seem to follow previous canon unless previous canon was contadictory. I got the impression new families were started by family members who didn't get what they wanted in the current hierarchy not that they were booted out. Sos'Umpta should certainly be able to kill Quenthel's daughters if it was a matter like that, shouldn't she? Also then why are their cousins and extended family part of their family now?

From what I recall, Salvatore, in Homeland, stated that only the matron's direct children, the house wizard, the weapon master and the matron's patron were considered noble, although this was soon expanded to include grandchildren, surviving sisters and brothers, as well as houseless Drow refugees whom the matron has accepted into her house. A matron could adopt another talented Drow into her house and advance that drow above all of her own sons or daughters if she chooses just as Matron Malice did in one of Salvatore's stories. Basically a matron had full power to accept any Drow she desired into her house for any reason, and she's just as free to dispose of them at any time on a whim. I was ok with this expansion. It made sense given the way Lolthian Drow matrons operate. It also made sense from a societal perspective. This change you mention sounds like a regression back to Salvatore's original concept in Homeland, which even Salvatore didn't stick to for the entire trilogy. Drow matrons are too chaotic and individualistic to stick to a rule like "only your own children can be nobles" when it is detrimental to their house's survival and/or their own advancement. Some of them might despise or fear their sisters and want them out of their hair, while others may get along passingly well with them and see clear advantage in keeping them in the family. Sos'Umpta has always been one of the cooler and more diplomatic heads in House Baenre with a good sense of her limitations, ie. she doesn't stupidly and pointlessly antagonize her more powerful sisters. It makes no sense to toss her out since one of the measures of a house's power is the number and power of its priestesses, especially when matrons have the authority to adopt new members into their house. Although it may be necessary for her to swallow her pride and act like she's her younger sister's daughter, and that might be hard for a lot of prideful drow high priestesses to swallow.

That said, quite a few matrons would no doubt even be willing to promote a deep gnome above all of their own daughters if that deep gnome could give them the power to become the first house of the city. And as you mentioned, regressing back to a more limited definition of Drow nobility contradicts years of previously established realms lore which in this case was codified in the 2e boxed set.

I've long since grown tired of WoTC authors who know less about the lore than we do trampling the world and creating inconsistencies in the process. It's made me jaded.
MrHedgehog Posted - 05 Jun 2013 : 04:11:14
@Shere Khan - Multiple families can have the same name. The drow house names are supposed to derived from prefixes and suffixes. So house Despana means "Victors of the - Night" (Desp-ana) Most names are also made by this prefix-suffix system. Hence why there are many drow named Viconia. There are probably multiple Drizzt Do'Urdens in the world and certainly through the many planes of existence. Just as there are many John Smiths, Mohommed Abullahs and Wei Changs in the real world.

House Vandree jumped ahead because its Matron Mother was resourceful as described in the 4e campaign setting. Most of what happens is not explained, but why does it need to be? Fill in the blanks yourself. A house being weak at one point does not mean it will stay that. An error or victory can change fortunes. Think of the real world where nations rise and fall, why would noble families (led by priestesses of a capricious deity no less) not do the same? House Vandree is not the first house to leapfrog over many others, House Del'Armgo did the same as you can read in the 2e Menzo Box Set. House Millithor was house #25 in 2e and now is 14, and House Ousttyl was rank like #52 (or something?) in the War of the Spider Queen, for example. (Perhaps refugees from the Ched Nasad House Oustyl merged with Menzo's...there are many possibilities)

Halisstra Melarn is probably not known to have failed. She was transformed into a powerful being by Lolth is all people would know. In the Lady Penitent Series all those drow who followed her and learned her bardic magic obviously thought highly of her. Naming a house after her seems appropriate. (Just as you might name a University or City "St. John's") Obviously the more powerful potential matron thought it more prudent to let the other person become Matron for political reasons. (There is more to power than being the figure head, and she probably calculated that was the best move)

The power level number mechanics is an easy thing to answer..... they don't know what number people are using in a game. They don't know how powerful another house is? One house could have more powerful members but a weaker fortress, etc. If you were to rate yourself in power on 1-15 versus another person, how would you do that? We get these numbers because we are omniscient spectators, the actual people involved are not.

It is unfortunate they couldn't record all new material but they are a company trying to make money. When did the 2e box set come out? Can it still be bought other than through something like paizo? I bought it at a second hand books store, not everyone is so lucky or necessarily interested in doing that. This product seems very good to me and accessible to new audiences. Obviously other people agree with me since it was nominated for an award!

EDIT: I see why the canon matters to those of us attached to us. But these things are meant to be used by us in our own stories and worlds we create (hence the list of alternate histories, also included) I just started (I bought this book yesterday) planning out my own interpretation of the new information in 1490 with levels of the characters such as "First Daughter: Myerynyl (CE female drow Cleric [Lolth] 8)" and "Matron Mother: Quenthel CE female Drow Cleric [Lolth] 15 Divine Disciple 5 Hierophant 3)" If you don't like something, change it. I'm not planning on having a House Melarn in my own Menzo, for example.

BUT

I am confused about the part where it says sisters of nobles lose their noble status when a new matron mother is named. If that is the case, why did Quenthel etc. never seem to have this fear when Triel was Matron Mother? It seemed like the Baenre family members were planning on being around each other for quite a while not lose their noble status. It says Sos'Umpta is going to start a new house because of this when the daughter of Quenthel becomes a High Priestess. if everyone gets booted out of the family with every matron mother how are any left? That doesn't make sense to me, and it doesn't seem to follow previous canon unless previous canon was contadictory. I got the impression new families were started by family members who didn't get what they wanted in the current hierarchy not that they were booted out. Sos'Umpta should certainly be able to kill Quenthel's daughters if it was a matter like that, shouldn't she? Also then why are their cousins and extended family part of their family now?
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 06:36:29
Congrats Brian!
Delwa Posted - 05 Apr 2013 : 03:25:48
Saw your post about that on Facebook, Mr. James. I've throughly enjoyed the book, myself, and the poster map is beautiful. Not having access to the Menzo boxed set that others have mentioned, I personally loved the level of detail. It leaves enough stuff vague so I as a DM can "flesh it out" to taste, and yet provides plenty of detail so that I have the bulk of my work finished if I'm whipping things together on the fly. Combined with the copy of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark a friend got me, it's all I could ever need. Best of luck to you, thank you for your work, and I hope your nomination wins.
Brian R. James Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 18:41:27
Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue has been nominated for a 2013 Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Supplement.
http://davethegame.tumblr.com/post/47021035329/the-academy-of-adventure-gaming-arts-and-design

Much thanks to those that supported the project. It means a lot.
Shere Khan Posted - 12 Nov 2012 : 23:21:49
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Well, I don't mind the inclusion of old lore as such, but the fact it's 80% old lore, 20% new lore and the new is practically unnoticeable.

Yup, I should also add that if we subtract out the demonweave material that's also found in Council of Spiders, we're down to less than 10% original material, nearly all of which is oversimplified and lacking in depth, which is what I think makes it so unnoticeable.
Zireael Posted - 12 Nov 2012 : 10:56:44
Well, I don't mind the inclusion of old lore as such, but the fact it's 80% old lore, 20% new lore and the new is practically unnoticeable.
Shere Khan Posted - 08 Nov 2012 : 17:44:57
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As much as I dislike defending WotC, I think it is unreasonable to expect that a sourcebook, covering an already covered area, is going to be all new lore.

I don't believe anyone said it should be "all" new lore.

quote:
Much of the old lore -- like history, geography, and in many case prominent NPCs -- is still going to be accurate.

True. Nevertheless the older boxed set did a much more thorough job of covering all that.

quote:
With many people not having ready access to older information, including it in the newer sourcebook is a good way of getting it into the hands of the customer. Even if you do have access to the older lore, it's nice to have it all (or at least mostly) in one place, instead of having to look thru a boxed set and multiple prior sourcebooks, in addition to the newest one.

But it's still not mostly in one place, there are tons of things that were left out of the new sourcebook. If I want to know something about Menzoberranzan, the city itself, the city book from the boxed set is still the best source. If I want to know something about its noble houses, the noble house book from the boxed set is still by far the best source. And if I want to know about Drow in the realms in general, the 2e version of Drow of the Underdark by Ed Greenwood is still the best source. The new sourcebook is a jack of all trades, and a master of none. Unfortunately it doesn't even do a good job of describing post-spellplague Menzobarranzan, the one thing I most wanted from it, except at the most shallow level. It all too often left me scratching my head when the original sources did not.

quote:
I'm not going to comment on the quality of the new lore -- I'm simply addressing the issue of the inclusion of older lore.

If the quality of the new material were higher, I'd be more inclined to forgive the rest.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Nov 2012 : 17:04:12
As much as I dislike defending WotC, I think it is unreasonable to expect that a sourcebook, covering an already covered area, is going to be all new lore. Much of the old lore -- like history, geography, and in many case prominent NPCs -- is still going to be accurate.

With many people not having ready access to older information, including it in the newer sourcebook is a good way of getting it into the hands of the customer. Even if you do have access to the older lore, it's nice to have it all (or at least mostly) in one place, instead of having to look thru a boxed set and multiple prior sourcebooks, in addition to the newest one.

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the new lore -- I'm simply addressing the issue of the inclusion of older lore.
Shere Khan Posted - 08 Nov 2012 : 16:03:48
quote:
Originally posted by Laeknir

quote:
Originally posted by Shere Khan

quote:

Well, I have to agree with Shere Khan.

(snip) And I do think I was being too generous when I said 2/3 of the material was a rehash, it's more like 80%. Much of the book is just copy and pasted from the older books.

I think the same thing can be said of almost every 3.5 hardback setting book. Not much in the way of new content, and when it was there the quality wasn't up to the same level.

Very disappointing, but it seems to be a core practice of WotC that hasn't yet changed.

Sadly, I agree.
Laeknir Posted - 05 Nov 2012 : 15:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by Shere Khan

quote:

(snip) And I do think I was being too generous when I said 2/3 of the material was a rehash, it's more like 80%. Much of the book is just copy and pasted from the older books.

I think the same thing can be said of almost every 3.5 hardback setting book. Not much in the way of new content, and when it was there the quality wasn't up to the same level.

Very disappointing, but it seems to be a core practice of WotC that hasn't yet changed.

Shere Khan Posted - 04 Nov 2012 : 05:01:35
quote:

I ran an "evil" campaign in Menzo during the 90's based on the 2e boxed set. The book on the noble houses in the 2nd edition boxed set was a masterpiece. The city book was most excellent too. Neither of those has been matched since. The adventure book was the weakest link in the chain, as it had enough large plot holes to float an aircraft carrier through, but it did have quite a quite a few interesting ideas, characters, and locations that a DM could run with. Mantol-Derith quickly comes to mind!

We have lots of fun memories playing wickedly evil drow. MCoI just doesn't measure up to the old boxed set. I recognize that they had a lot less space to work with, so it's not entirely the authors fault, but to those of us who have the old products this latest product does come as a slap in the face.

And I do think I was being too generous when I said 2/3 of the material was a rehash, it's more like 80%. Much of the book is just copy and pasted from the older books. I suppose new players may find it a decent buy, but if someone really wants to learn more about the drow, then both the 2e and 3.5e versions of Drow of the Underdark go into considerably more detail (the 2e version is more realmsy, the 3.5e version is more greyhawky), and nothing tops the old 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set when it comes to knowledge of Menzoberranzan as a setting, both the city itself, and the noble house intrigue that makes it so compelling.
Zireael Posted - 03 Nov 2012 : 20:15:12
Shere Khan Posted - 03 Nov 2012 : 03:54:18
I finally got around to reading this, and I have to say that I feel a bit disappointed. Two-thirds of the material in the book was just a rehash of material found in other books. The one-third that was original was dealt with in a very cursory and shallow manner.

The house ranking changes also seem rather arbitrary and poorly thought out, or at least in dire need of a good explanation. How the heck did a weak, pathetic House like Vandree jump a dozen rankings past extremely formidable houses like Duskryn? Why did Faen Tlabbar, a house that was never dependent on wizardry power, lose it's #3 ranking after the spellplague to Xorlarrin, a house that was totally dependent on wizardry?

Why is Menzoberranzan suddenly recycling house names from Ched Nasad (Melarn) and Greyhawk's Erelhei-Cinlu (Godeep, Despana)? Ok, Melarn got a little bit of an explanation, but I have real trouble buying into it. Why would the experienced matron mother, of what according to the chart on page 31 is the stronger house in 1372, give up control to the inexperienced, young former 2nd daughter of the weaker house? especially when that weaker house is tainted by the heresy of Eilstraee worship? Why would she agree to rename her house because of some pathetic refugees from a failed city?

The house/organization power metric is also rather questionable. Xorlarrin and Faen Tlabbar both have power rankings of 12, while Barrison Del'Armgo has a power ranking of 11. Yet while Xorlarrin has inexplicably surpassed Faen Tlabbar to become the 3rd ranked house, it has not surpassed 2nd ranked Barrison Del'Armgo (and neither has Faen Tlabbar).

The biggest let down to me was the lack of detail, particularly with regard to the current political situation between all the important houses, not just the authors' favorites. I was hoping for a post-spellplague update of a much-loved campaign setting of old. In the end this book feels like a short, overly simplified, dumbed down version of its antecedents. It attempts to cover too many different time periods and thus ends up covering none of them adequately.
Zireael Posted - 24 Oct 2012 : 18:14:33
Finally got my review copy.

I'm a little disappointed, I hoped for more new info, while most of it is known to me, as I'm a major drow fan. But I agree it's great for newcomers.

The map and the art are indeed brilliant, I especially loved the House art.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Oct 2012 : 17:26:11
Because of the buzz over Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I started paging through this as the FLGS. It looked pretty interesting, and I may end up picking it up. It also mad a lot of my fellow gamers scratch their heads, since I've not purchased a D&D book from the store in years.
Zireael Posted - 20 Oct 2012 : 15:43:21
I'm still waiting for my review copy to arrive. I heard mostly positive reviews.
Irennan Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 10:28:45
It's not the same thing: the Maiden of the Moon dances at the moon and wields a bastard sword, but it's not what makes Eilistraee. She should be fighting for the freedom of her people, to give them their lives and choices back, and as archfey she could do it even more 'side to side' with them (so to speak), than when she was a deity with craptons of rules to respect. I see the Dark Maiden as a 'romantic' and passionate rebel rather than a huntress, and even tho she is one, it's not what defines her and what she stands for (but just my take here: naturally, people can do whatever they wish in their campaigns).
Derulbaskul Posted - 07 Oct 2012 : 07:50:31
The Demon Weave is the first RSE that I have actually liked and will use in my games ([heresy]actually, second: I'm rather enamoured with the Spellplague now[/heresy]).

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

You know the loremasters have got to stretch whatever limits are imposed upon them by cramming rough drafts/manuscripts chock full of tidbits of info, only to have to wait and see what the editors and managers will hold onto and keep for the final copy. Page count limits are rough!

It's even worse with 4E books because the fonts are very large and there is a lot of white space. In other words, there is a lot of room for extra content even if the font size was reduced by a solitary point.

I've had Eilistraee as an archfey IMC since 4E's Manual of the Planes mentioned a lycanthrope-hunting archfey that simply seemed to me to be a certain drow deity in disguise....
Eilserus Posted - 06 Oct 2012 : 01:59:30
It was pretty good. I wish it would have been another hundred pages long or so. The detailed businesses and map key at the end of the book was pretty sweet. Nice little list of places a DM can import to any drow or underdark city. Now what I would really like, would be to see the 2E Menzoberranzan supplement released with any and all files that may have been cut with the original (Director's Cut etc). More info, maps of compounds and other places etc. Heck maybe they could even add the stuff that was cut in this one too.

It's a good book. This one, plus the 2E Menzoberranzan and the Drow of the Underdark 2E are pretty much all a person needs to reference for drow centric info. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark 2E is another really good one I should add too.

I just hope Salvatore or 5E destroys House Melarn, it just doesn't belong there in my opinion. A house created in honor of a heretic doesn't seem like something that would last long in Menzo with the Baenre's in charge. The Do'Urden clan was destroyed for a far less offense. I'd expect the same of the Melarn, sooner than later.
farinal Posted - 06 Oct 2012 : 00:49:55
I bought mine a week ago. I liked it. The map is really cool. I also liked the art. There are some good ideas and hooks for Drow campaign. Sometimes it is hard to maintain a drow party but the ideas and information in the book is a great help for any drow campaign DM. Mostly I bought the book to support the Wizards, because I want more books like this. Edition-free and full of lore. I already knew nearly all the things in the book about Menzoberranzan but enjoyed it anyway. There are also some new stuff that hasn't been written before. I recommend it.
Vaeldroth Posted - 16 Sep 2012 : 08:47:37
Sad that this book has only seen 2 pages of dicussion. It really has so much to offer. Has anyone else bought it yet?
Gustaveren Posted - 01 Sep 2012 : 17:08:31
Hmm, sounds as if I will actually have to go and buy this source book even though it has been written after 4e was released.
Matt James Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 02:16:15
I try not to abuse my arcane supremacy.
The Sage Posted - 31 Aug 2012 : 01:52:08
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

PM me your address. I'll send you a copy.

While I appreciate the offer, Matt, it's more than likely that your shipping it from the US to Australia will take about 4-to-6 weeks, which is about the same time I'll have to wait anyway.

What? I bet Matt had a portal or planar sending spell all set up to go for you. But nooo . . . you had to go and turn him down. Tsk, tsk, Sage.

No--it's too late, now. You've squandered a most excellent opportunity!

Ha! If Matt really conceived of such magicks, surely he would have ferried me all the way to Gen Con 2012.
BEAST Posted - 30 Aug 2012 : 04:19:41
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

While I appreciate the offer, Matt, it's more than likely that your shipping it from the US to Australia will take about 4-to-6 weeks, which is about the same time I'll have to wait anyway.

What? I bet Matt had a portal or planar sending spell all set up to go for you. But nooo . . . you had to go and turn him down. Tsk, tsk, Sage.

No--it's too late, now. You've squandered a most excellent opportunity!
The Sage Posted - 30 Aug 2012 : 02:07:36
quote:

Besides, I just re-instated my pre-order late last evening from an Australian distributor.

Thanks again, though. I'm humbled by your effort to hook me up with this new source.
Matt James Posted - 29 Aug 2012 : 20:16:00
The Sage Posted - 29 Aug 2012 : 16:31:50
Unfortunately, it's having something of a delayed release here in Australia, so it looks like I'll have to wait until next month to get my copy.
Matt James Posted - 29 Aug 2012 : 13:17:59
When I designed the Drow Treachery cards, it was clear from the start that I wanted them to be usable in any edition. The book supported this and it came together very nicely.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000