Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sundering #1: Storm Over Baldur's Gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  18:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A twitter user spotted this FR adventure on Amazon.com last night.

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Over-Baldurs-Gate-Sundering/dp/0786964634

Coming August 2013

Edit: Link fixed. Thanks!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 27 Nov 2012 20:37:44

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  18:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a new link; the one you posted doesn't go anywhere.

I think it's interesting that they're running adventures along with this Sundering. That's more in line with the ToT than the 3e or 4e transitions.

honkin' big link

edit: Oh, and good catch of the good catch! (and if a mod wants to shrink that link down to something manageable, I'd be grateful; I can't seem to get the coding to work properly today)

Mod edit: Cast shrinky links.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Nov 2012 19:53:02
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  20:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  20:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And on actually having a chance to read the link, it looks like a smaller version of Mysteries of the Moonsea. 64 pages on Baldur's Gate, and a 32 page adventure. That's... a worrying ratio. Though there's always the hope that it could turn out like the Shadowdale book in the 2e FR boxed set, which has one of my favorite 2e adventures on top of an in-depth look of Shadowdale.

The Gate's a whole lot bigger than the dale, though. Hmm. Well, we'll see. It's actually a hybrid, not a full sourcebook or adventure.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  21:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And on actually having a chance to read the link, it looks like a smaller version of Mysteries of the Moonsea. 64 pages on Baldur's Gate, and a 32 page adventure. That's... a worrying ratio. Though there's always the hope that it could turn out like the Shadowdale book in the 2e FR boxed set, which has one of my favorite 2e adventures on top of an in-depth look of Shadowdale.

The Gate's a whole lot bigger than the dale, though. Hmm. Well, we'll see. It's actually a hybrid, not a full sourcebook or adventure.

64 pages on one city is a goodly amount, and it's certainly a lot more than any one specific location -- other than Waterdeep -- got in 3E or 4E.

I know there was a lot of commotion when the Mysteries of the Moonsea book came out, and I'll agree that it wasn't the ideal mix. But I'll also note that there was still some good lore in there, and in fact the book gave me the hook I needed for one of my Lords of Waterdeep. I wasn't keen on the hybrid approach, but it was better than nothing...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  23:30:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they go mouse-type, it'll be great. Big fat 4E font and ... well ... ick. Back to scratching the surface if they don't go small.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  01:59:56  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds neat, I wonder how WotC plans on collecting feedback from groups running it. Also, rumor has that this is going to be an edition neutral product, anyone know if that is accurate? That sounds pretty cool.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  04:42:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

64 pages on one city is a goodly amount, and it's certainly a lot more than any one specific location -- other than Waterdeep -- got in 3E or 4E.

I know there was a lot of commotion when the Mysteries of the Moonsea book came out, and I'll agree that it wasn't the ideal mix. But I'll also note that there was still some good lore in there, and in fact the book gave me the hook I needed for one of my Lords of Waterdeep. I wasn't keen on the hybrid approach, but it was better than nothing...

And, to be fair, the rules-related information and campaign tidbits supporting the various sections of the book tended to offer up some useful lore as well. Or at least I thought so.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  09:44:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter... Menzo... Baldur's Gate. Not a big fan of 'city books' (I rarely run anything urban). Plus $35 for 96 pages sounds a bit pricey to me. I'll pass.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  15:29:38  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Neverwinter... Menzo... Baldur's Gate. Not a big fan of 'city books' (I rarely run anything urban). Plus $35 for 96 pages sounds a bit pricey to me. I'll pass.

It doesn't seem pricy to me. The 2008 Scepter Tower of Spellgard adventure (96 pages) cost 25 dollars. And it was just an adventure. While this product alone comes with a city book (64 pages), an adventure (32 pages), a fold-out DM screen, and some type of folder (???)

Too bad it is soft bound.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  15:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that there's going to be an adventure, but I worry about the quality. How many pages was CotSQ again?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  16:33:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Support the ship, bail it before it sinks! Ed is an author...so it can't be not worth considering!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2012 :  18:31:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a longer post here, but decided this is not the time or place for negativity. Suffice it to say its just not my 'cup of tea'. For someone wanting to run something in Baldur's Gate (myself included), then I would say "go for it".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  02:25:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the "Adventure" is going to be published with a specific edition or a multi-platform approach? As far as I know, D&D:Next isn't scheduled unti a 2014 start. That might be interesting though, having an adventure loose enough to incorporate varying editions.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  05:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But they're also tying it to the Sundering, which we still don't know what is, except that it's bringing the 4e era to a close. Which would seem to make it hard to make it edition neutral.

Also, there just aren't as many pages for them to do that in than there were in, say Menzo. Hard enough to squeeze a major city into that page count in any age, let alone all. Ah well, I'll at least track it down in a bookstore and thumb through it, but it'd have to be really special for me to buy it.

Go to Top of Page

Vaeldroth
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  19:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Vaeldroth's Homepage Send Vaeldroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping this is edition neutral, though wasn't there something in the BG2 era that covered the city in that much depth? Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II? I'm more interested in this as a new adventure I can run for my group, as they'll probably be making their way to the Sword Coast at some point. The problem with adapting 4e adventures is that they lack the story description present in prior editions as far as outcomes and generic detail not tied to a combat scenario.

Do we have any new information on this?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  23:21:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II doesn't even touch the city of Baldur's Gate. As I understand it, the name was to tie it to the computer game.

(And Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate is part of the game manual for the game Baldur's Gate, and doesn't go into the same depth of lore as the other Volo's Guides. I don't own the game, but I did find a legal download of the manual online somewhere, several years ago.)

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Vaeldroth
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  05:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Vaeldroth's Homepage Send Vaeldroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh right, I had forgotten the BGII book was about Amn, not BG - which makes sense as it covered Athkatla iirc.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  11:52:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am I the only one that noticed they're encouraging buying it with the "original" dungeons & dragons roleplaying game? So, I'm thinking rules prior to 1st edition AD&D (and not basic). It shows thin, little handbooks that say "blackmoor" and "eldritch wizardry" and "Gods, Demigods, and Heroes".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  17:34:55  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

am I the only one that noticed they're encouraging buying it with the "original" dungeons & dragons roleplaying game? So, I'm thinking rules prior to 1st edition AD&D (and not basic). It shows thin, little handbooks that say "blackmoor" and "eldritch wizardry" and "Gods, Demigods, and Heroes".

That is an Amazon thing not WotC.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  02:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I wonder... <wild speculation><spoiler>at the end of the second Dark Alliance video game there's a cutscene to an unidentified yet distinctly Mulhorandi god with his sights firmly set on Baldur's Gate. Given that this game's story arc was never completed and Mulhorand and it's pantheon disappeared with the advent of the Spellplague (&4E) I'm wondering if someone somewhere thought it a good opportunity to complete the story and 'return' the pantheon?</wild speculation></spoiler> Obviously I have a vested interest here as it's always irked me that story was never completed ;) and of course it depends on how important WotC consider the pantheon and the land to the Realms Setting given they're a 'borrowed' set of gods.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2013 :  16:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . Storm over Baldur's Gate, Storm over Neverwinter . . . coincidence?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  06:34:32  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO your saying its going to be like an encounter adventure...and we can either use it for 4e or use the playtest conversion rules to play it with Next? >.>;
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  14:32:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So rather then a spellplague, we now get spellstorms?

Will they be changing any other words come 5e? {insert snarky smiley}

I guess someone in advertising finally realized there is absolutely nothing positive about the word 'plague'. Sadly, they could have just asked any ignorant medieval peasant.

Now STORM... thats evocative. Its a elemental fury that creates both negative and positive side-effects. It brings both energy and life-giving rains, it destroys and it renews. Its a much better 'buzz word'... I approve.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  22:47:03  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took them long enough to upgrade their fantasy terms to something "cooler" sounding.

From the product page on Wizards.com: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000

It's a similar gazetteer + adventure format as the Daggerford/Dragonspear Castle adventure exclusive to GenCon, possibly minus the DnD Next preview.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 12 Jun 2013 22:49:11
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2013 :  23:02:13  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, so Murder in Baldur's Gate features the Lord of Murder on its cover.
I must admit that I had totally missed that reference.
Still, it does make sense, being BG. And it might help to rake up some late BG Enhanced Edition fans, you never know...

Help me guys, please - my knowledge of 4E is very limited, but Bhaal is not officially back yet, or is he? I've seen obscure references to the Bhaalspawn here and there in late canon, but I don't remember a proper comeback yet, right?
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  13:02:53  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

Still, it does make sense, being BG. And it might help to rake up some late BG Enhanced Edition fans, you never know...

Help me guys, please - my knowledge of 4E is very limited, but Bhaal is not officially back yet, or is he? I've seen obscure references to the Bhaalspawn here and there in late canon, but I don't remember a proper comeback yet, right?

No proper comeback YET, he has still been dead since 1358. But the sundering is supposed to be a big reset reviving several gods...we wont know until everything begins in august.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  14:38:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

The cover depicts the symbol used for the deceased Lord of Murder. It doesn't show the actual deity in physical form. There may be a Cult of Murder in the city causing mischief or someone using the symbol to throw off the authorities. I can't enlarge the cover to get a better view of it. Somehow the symbol looks slightly different to me.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  14:33:22  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was excited to hear from Ed Greenwood's liason, The Hooded One, that the lore material in this book was edition neutral.

Unfortunately, from the description of the book I see now, it has me concerned. It says the city as it stands in the Sundering era. Which is not edition neutral. The adventure should be Sundering era, but I wanted the lore to be edition neutral (with sprinklings of THIS was around pre-Spellplague and this is around post-Spellplague) but now I will have to flip through it when it comes out before supporting this with my wallet.

A download, or a one to two page spread, on what lore material is in which edition would be recommended to them if they continue doing supplements like this.

I have a group currently in Baldur's Gate and more lore is always welcome. I just hope it is still useful to me being set in the Sundering (whereas mine is set in 1359 D.R. right after the Time of Troubles)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:16:48  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am liking the direction the artwork is taking.

The cover artwork for this adventure/sourcebook and for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle are awesome.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000