Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Return the Avariel!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  03:20:28  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Granted I know little about this subrace of elves, but After noticing that the Avariel are near extinction on Faerun... (when was the last time any Avariel really played a part of Faerunian history?.
While my faith in the Drow is well known (much to the disdain of others I'd wager a guess), I figure that the Avariel should be Saved from falling off the face of Faerun (much like a Deity of Old).From records kept in the Library, it seems there is only one known place where Avariel are known to exists. I ask my fellow Scribes, what other places do the Avariel gather, and is there a way to save this race from falling to extinction?!?!

* Drops several large books on Abjuration, Necromancy, Enchantment, and Evocation on his desk. Lighting a single Candle, he begins feverently looking through the books...*

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 05 Jan 2004 04:00:56

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  13:36:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun has detailed that "Avariel from the Aerie of the Snow Eagles have recently sent diplomats to neighboring kingdoms (Narfell, Rashemen, Damara, and the Great Dale in particular)" (p. 34).

Thus, I don't see why a DM or player can't use that tidbit to start a campaign that begins to show a stronger presence of Avariel outside of the Aerie.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  16:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Aerie a Avariel? I would like some more information about this race? I would could maybe like to play as a Avariel in NWN?

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  18:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If ya mean Aerie from BG2, i believe she was an Avariel that had been tortured by having her wings cut off... and then i also believe there was an Avariel in a novel... i think it was one of the Sembia novels, the one about the maid that was half-elf... if i recall right... she helped one escape from some bandits or some such... might be getting novels confused but i recall that much..

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  21:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one in the Sembia series was a half "wood" elf, not an avariel, IIRC. Do let me know if I'm wrong. And Deimos
Quote:

While my faith in the Drow is well known (much to the disdain of others I'd wager a guess), I figure that the Avariel should be Saved from falling off the face of Faerun

Come come, we drow enthusiasts are very misunderstood, however, I too will agree that other elf subraces deserve to be saved. After all, if all the elves are killed, who will be on the recieving end of the drow's revenge?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  21:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who indeed!

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  22:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, a bit sensitive are we, Ezindir?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2004 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep is a mighty place indeed. After searching through several tomes, I have found (within Alaundo's bookshelves) the 3rd ed. racial write up, on the Avariel themselves. I am merely afraid (however) as they seem to be a more free race of elves (gasp, dare I say I may give up the drow?!?), I am afraid they will go the way of Amunator and simply fade into the Legends of the Past. As we already see, the place of the Avariel is almost nearly a foot note. other than Aerie (from the BG series), How close to dying out from neglect they have come. Some of us (myself included) never even heard of the winged folk. I repeat the Avariel Must be saved!
Many thanks to the scribes of Candlekeep who came before me, for the racial traits of the Avariel. I begging ye fellows of the scrolls, there must be a way to save the Avariel from falling to ruin!

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  00:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*SPOILER* of sorts :P but most people have probably read the sembia series...

well i remember some novel that had an avariel that had badly broken mangled or cut off wings... and i could swear it was the one maid from the sembia series, where the MAID girl was the halfelf... but she went out and told some bandits that the avariel went the other way... and then used sune and the one elven goddess's powers to heal the avariel's wings, and in return the avariel flew her to some hilltop where she met back up with her half-bro... :P please don't make me search back in that book to prove it :P i'm too lazy

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  00:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IT WASN'T AN AVARIEL, IT WAS A WINGED CAT!!!!!! lol, but i can understand your confusion, lol

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  00:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... no... There was an avariel Larajin rescued... the avariel's name was kith... and now that you're making me get up and check the book... go back to Heirs of prophecy and check pages 179-197 :P and beg me to not smack you upside the head :P hehe

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooops, lol, sry, ur right , what i was looking at was when she snuck in through the sewers into the Hulorn's palace, home, building thingee. Earlier novel, and you are right, it was named kith, lol, I concede to your wisdom Zacas. THis is the first time, and probably the last time, I will do so. lol. I'm quite prideful. A fault to be sure, but at least it keeps me happy

also, please refrain from the headsmacking, I'm still recovering from alaundo's staff of the irritated moderator +3, lol

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 06 Jan 2004 01:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

i also believe there was an Avariel in a novel... i think it was one of the Sembia novels, the one about the maid that was half-elf... if i recall right... she helped one escape from some bandits or some such...

actually that was Aerie as well, she was captured by bandits n then caged n had her wings cut off...come 2 think of it, couldnt they be restored with magics??? regeneration of a sort???

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::grins and gloats over Shadowlord:: Begon Sinner! you have broken the 567th commandment "Thou shall not doubt Zacas! (at least when his memory works)"

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, now you are going too far, Zacas. I merely conceded to your wisdom in "one" instance. Do not gloat overly much, for the drow have a long memory, mine longer than most. Nor do we forgive......

Though I must admit, I thought I breached the 587th commandment, not the 567th.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::snickers:: Hmm... one such as myself (someone too lazy) cannot be bothered or expected to remember them ALL... there are so many commandments after all... just be glad you are allowed to leave without getting smacked upside the head...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  01:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, in my experience, the arrogant are the first to fall, though I'm sure you'll prove to be the exception. Hmm, I had an idea I was thinking of presenting to alaundo, or maybe Bookwyrm or the sage, would you be willing to listen?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  08:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

hmmm, in my experience, the arrogant are the first to fall, though I'm sure you'll prove to be the exception. Hmm, I had an idea I was thinking of presenting to alaundo, or maybe Bookwyrm or the sage, would you be willing to listen?

Well met

Indeed Shadowlord, tell me of your idea.....im all ears

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  15:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

ooops, lol, sry, ur right , what i was looking at was when she snuck in through the sewers into the Hulorn's palace, home, building thingee. Earlier novel, and you are right, it was named kith, lol, I concede to your wisdom Zacas. THis is the first time, and probably the last time, I will do so. lol. I'm quite prideful. A fault to be sure, but at least it keeps me happy

also, please refrain from the headsmacking, I'm still recovering from alaundo's staff of the irritated moderator +3, lol

You did!! Good job, I have had some days in bed after a smack in my head from it !!

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  15:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Candlekeep is a mighty place indeed. After searching through several tomes, I have found (within Alaundo's bookshelves) the 3rd ed. racial write up, on the Avariel themselves. I am merely afraid (however) as they seem to be a more free race of elves (gasp, dare I say I may give up the drow?!?), I am afraid they will go the way of Amunator and simply fade into the Legends of the Past. As we already see, the place of the Avariel is almost nearly a foot note. other than Aerie (from the BG series), How close to dying out from neglect they have come. Some of us (myself included) never even heard of the winged folk. I repeat the Avariel Must be saved!
Many thanks to the scribes of Candlekeep who came before me, for the racial traits of the Avariel. I begging ye fellows of the scrolls, there must be a way to save the Avariel from falling to ruin!

Yes, leave your old and evil drows and see the light !!

- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 06 Jan 2004 15:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  16:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The onley way if they embrace the whorship of Cyric the one then The one wil save them i think.And no god or race deserves to fade away it is just sad
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  20:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote by Alaundo

Well met

Indeed Shadowlord, tell me of your idea.....im all ears

Thank you for listening Alaundo. I was wondering if we could create a Candlekeep basement, Kind of like the Candlekeep Inn, where the darker aspects of the realms can be discussed (drow, shades, Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, the City of Shade, etc.) Granted, I know we can just open forums for these types of things, but I was thinking of a more permanent area. Do get back to me if you are interested, or even if you are not. I find that criticism merely helps improve (unless I'm in a bad mood, then its backstabbing time!!!).

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  20:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Shrugger::

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  20:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank you for your suggestion Shadowlord, not a bad thought at all, but I dont think a seperate area dedicated to such topics is required as they can openly be discussed within other parts of the library.

The "basement" idea has got me thinking though

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  21:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No thanks required Alaundo. I'm merely doing my duty as a scribe of Candlekeep. Maybe next time my idea will be even better, Oooh, how about a shrine to Vhaeraun in the basement???? One can never have too many hostile drow in his basement!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  06:09:39  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I may have to give Lolth up. It's just not.... effective to be praising one, who would go against the very core of the thought. So after preforming a careful checklist I was able to limit the list of potential patrons (who I'd grant little more than lip service to) are as Follows (In Order): Tiamat, Set, and Savras.

Anyways I need a deity that may take more intrest in the Salvation and Preservation of the Avariel... For it is their continued existence that matters. It breaks my stone heart to know that they are so close to falling into oblivion... (The only race that deserves that fate be Humans )

But for once I am in agreement with Cyric, To go out with a bang is honorable (still sad, but they made a stand in their final moments) But to simply fade from existence... There is no worse fate as it is not with a mighty roar, nor even a whimper... but a sad sigh.... Heart wrenching....

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2004 :  12:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could not agree more expept with the human part it is like Amantura it is just not right
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  00:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
too true, and if you give up lolth, Vhaeraun is always interested in new worshipers........

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2004 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I don't have the Avariel!

Sorry, it was what popped in my head when I saw the topic title.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  03:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord chuckles heartily Nice jest, Bookwyrm....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  04:06:39  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't Lie Bookwyrm! I KNOW you have the Avariel locked in one of your old treasure caverns!

As for the title... Well I could think of nothing eles

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000