Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2012: 25 Years of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  19:12:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To all who are attending: there is a major Keynote Address going on immediately prior to the 25 Years of the Realms event, and I have it on good authority that things are going to be announced that we are going to want to talk about. [...]

If I may ask, are those things bad or good?

I rather doubt that anyone associated with this is going to say "Yeah, you're going to hate what's coming up next..."

Why should they lie about this? I mean, it's not that people are going to buy their books without checking what's in them first.
Besides, if they did something that has the potential to turn the majority of people here away (once again), then it'd mean that their target audience isn't going to include such kind of customer. So, as I see it, there's no real reason to lie (unless they want to have some laughs).

I wasn't saying anyone would lie... I was saying that I wouldn't expect anyone to flat-out say "you're going to hate this," even if they expected it. Saying "there are big changes coming!" isn't positive or negative, but if they were planning a more dramatic RSE than the Sellplague, it would still be a factual statement.

As I've said before, telling the truth and not lying are not necessarily the same thing. There's a reason you swear to tell "the whole truth" when taking the witness stand in court.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  19:21:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, then it looks like I misunderstood you. My apologies.

And -talking of RSEs- ''The Sundering'' does indeed sound like a big one. We'll see...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Jul 2012 19:25:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  02:08:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes, let's try to move beyond the whole "reading between the lines of Wizards proposals" for the time being, eh?

I'd rather we just wait and see. Both Ed and Erik have hinted at some fantastic stuff coming for the Realms at GenCon this year. That should be enough to get even the most jaded folk at least peripherally excited about the future of the setting once again.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2012 02:10:53
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  15:47:49  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No specific insight, just whispers. It sounds like some good stuff is coming.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2012 :  16:33:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all. I've decided to drive down for GenCon on thursday thru saturday. Hope to see some of you there!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  00:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I await news about 5e with hope, let's hope it doesn't turn out to be a false hope.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  03:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I said, it seems worthy of optimism to me. And no, no one will lie or deceive you about this. Simply understand we can only provide tiny teasers. You want to be the first to hear what's going down? Come to the keynote on Thursday at GenCon.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  04:16:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know whats going on... a little bird told me.

Care Bears are going to kill the Drow and take their stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  08:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT, spoiler alert! For serious.

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  10:53:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I know whats going on... a little bird told me.

Care Bears are going to kill the Drow and take their stuff.

Oh? My sources tell me that it's the pony who are going to kill the Drow.

You know, one doesn't simply mess with ponies...

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Jul 2012 10:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  11:25:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they are going to re-boot the setting using the Sundering?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 30 Jul 2012 11:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  13:04:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I'm not going to be able to do the Keynote since I'm who- *ahem* volunteering myself to CGL at the time.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  16:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So they are going to re-boot the setting using the Sundering?

Man, that's a lot of smileys.

Come and find out!|

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  05:17:19  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite any past misgivings, I'm determined to do my level best to be quietly hopeful about the changes to the Realms underway with 5E. I figure if they are supported by so many fans, authors, and Realms lore contributors (including the primes inter pares himself) then they simply must be a good thing. I look forward to hearing about them, and meeting many of you, at the event.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  18:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Future of Dungeons & Dragons Keynote

Company: Wizards of the Coast
Description: This unprecedented look into the future of Dungeons & Dragons includes the evolution of the game, the re-birth of a fantasy setting and the next generation of art. Wizards of the Coast is proud to host the first-ever keynote address at Gen Con on Thursday, August 16th to share with D&D fans what’s in store for the game that has changed gaming forever. Speakers include President and CEO of Wizards Greg Leeds, Senior Manager for D&D Research and Design Mike Mearls and some of the greatest creative minds in the industry. The keynote begins at 7:00 PM in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, located at 140 W. Washington Street (note that this is a location change) and will be live-streamed at DungeonsandDragons.com/events.

Reboot here we come.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  19:03:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

quote:

Description: This unprecedented look into the future of Dungeons & Dragons includes the evolution of the game, the re-birth of a fantasy setting and the next generation of art. Wizards of the Coast is proud to host the first-ever keynote address at Gen Con on Thursday, August 16th to share with D&D fans what’s in store for the game that has changed gaming forever. Speakers include President and CEO of Wizards Greg Leeds, Senior Manager for D&D Research and Design Mike Mearls and some of the greatest creative minds in the industry. The keynote begins at 7:00 PM in the Indiana Roof Ballroom, located at 140 W. Washington Street (note that this is a location change) and will be live-streamed at DungeonsandDragons.com/events.

Reboot here we come.

It could be read that way, and I'd not complain if it was rebooted to an earlier era... But that said, until they actually flat-out say they're rebooting the Realms, I'm withholding judgement and comment. Rebirth of a fantasy setting could be just another FRCS, or it could be the relaunch of a currently defunct setting, or something else.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  19:27:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would be the 'soft reboot' approach, judging by certain things I am aware of.

In other words, reset the clock (they've already said this, pretty much, with their "support for all eras" mantra), but accept that all past lore is STILL canon unless over-written (read: corrected) by new lore.

At the same time, they will still be able to provide info for games set 'in the past' with history fluff (a'la Arcane Age and articles like Ed's wonderful Athalantar Campaign), AND provide info on running a game in the post-plague era, so as to still support the 4e fans moving forward (which is a good idea, no matter how we personally feel about it).

This will not please everyone, and certainly no one 100%, but I think this approach will please the greatest cross-section of people, which is what a company needs to do with a re-launch.

Just my own take, is all. YMMV

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2012 23:44:28
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  20:09:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reboot here we come.
My money's on a Realms-wide MMO.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  23:48:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know - there are plenty of those around, and I think D&D fans are the very folks looking for something else (otherwise, they would have left P&P RPGs behind already).

Besides, does anyone know how well Eberron Online (Stormreach) did? I see its called "Eberron: Unlimited" now... hmmmm...

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  02:55:31  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess is the rebirth is just a comment on returning to a more classic tone without actually rebooting the setting. I think the "Sundering" event will be used to remove pieces of Aber that did not go over as well as WotC had hoped. I imagine that Tymanther and the gensai nation will stay, but other areas that did not receive much love in 4e might be "sundered" away along with the giant scars of nothing that were added in.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  03:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've pretty much sat out the entirety of 4e as far as FR was concerned, and WotC has a hard sell for me in order to get my attention back with 5e. It also has competition from other settings and other editions of the game to contend with that it never really had before.

But, I'll give them a fair shot and I'll listen to what they've got in the works when they're ready to go public with it fully.

We'll see what they do with the Realms. I'm hoping for the best. :)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  04:59:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have high hopes...much higher than I might should have...but I can't help myself.

It is getting sorely tempting for me to be there now...school doesn't start until the 27th...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  05:41:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Hope" is the thing with feathers—
That perches in the soul—
And sings the tune without the words—
And never stops—at all—

And sweetest—in the Gale—is heard—
And sore must be the storm—
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm—

I've heard it in the chillest land—
And on the strangest Sea—
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb—of Me

------ Emily Dickinson

Hope cost you nothing, and oftimes is all you have.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2012 05:41:32
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  06:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One would be right to withhold judgment until all the facts are in. Trust me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  07:53:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

One would be right to withhold judgment until all the facts are in. Trust me.

Cheers

That's my policy.

I love GenCon announcements of this type. It's really the only way I can ever enjoy both the hype and anticipation of the events without actually being able to attend.

So bring on the facts, I say!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  09:18:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Reboot here we come.

It could be read that way, and I'd not complain if it was rebooted to an earlier era... But that said, until they actually flat-out say they're rebooting the Realms, I'm withholding judgement and comment. Rebirth of a fantasy setting could be just another FRCS, or it could be the relaunch of a currently defunct setting, or something else.

Judging by the huge amount of articles about the planes in this month e-zines (and by the editorial), it may very well be that Planescape (some articles are definitely about this setting) is going to be resurrected...

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Aug 2012 09:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  12:17:39  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape would be a cool core setting. It would provide an easy away to link all of the future settings right out of the gate. Plus, every PC race out there fits in well in Sigil, not to mention any new ones can easily be explained without causing any disruption to the existing setting.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  13:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to offer a gentle reminder to folks that this thread isn't about the D&D Keynote, but the Candlekeep Presents seminar being held the same night.

Would anyone like to talk about that? Seeing as this is Candlekeep, and all that...
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  15:19:38  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Brian.

*Steers Ship back on Topic*

What would everyone like to talk about? We'll try our best to herd the cats and focus on something fun, enjoyable, and informational.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  15:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard a rumor there might be surprises waiting for people who come to the seminar. How about that?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000