Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon Indy 2012: 25 Years of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  03:29:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If my schedule doesn't change, I'll be in France and Mexico this coming August to September, which, given where I am now, aren't that far from the US. So, perhaps, I can grab a day or two and join the fun.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  17:08:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did everyone get GenCon Indy event tickets? They're on sale this morning. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  17:12:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more of a 'just wing-it' kind of guy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  18:37:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, preliminary calculation shows that this event is approximately 3,077km distant from my home. I shall not be attending.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  21:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that tickets are required to come to the seminar. I'm just reminding everyone that tickets are now available for all kinds of GenCon events.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  12:07:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun.. but unfortunately its on the other side of the planet. D'oh.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  00:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should be at GenCon this year since it is about 90 miles from my house. Hopefully I won't miss the meeting like I did last year. I will have to check the map to see where it is though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  05:09:33  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything Realms anniversary related on the menu for DragonCon in Atlanta this year?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  04:23:12  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll start a new thread for the purpose of asking the question: who will actually be attending GenCon this year?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  16:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though tickets are not "required" to attend the Realms Anniversary event, if you *do* plan on coming please sign up. Knowing how many of you folks may show up will help us plan

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  17:43:15  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're working on goodies for those who attend.
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  18:29:56  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I am going to be there with my family, I was wondering if this event would be reasonable for a kid to attend. In other words, is it PG-13? Or would I have to explain to my kid what all those strange words Matt is using are, and why she shouldn't use them at school? :-)
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  18:32:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, you should be fine, Shawn. It's not exactly my rodeo, so I would ask Erik Scott de Bie, just to be safe.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  17:56:44  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed usually behaves himself around kids :)

I would love to come to this, but I'm helping to run an event for AEG at the time.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to see all of you, though I would have liked to be able to make this.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  02:49:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of last minute, but I am going! So, as soon as I get the badge business straightened out (I'm schilling myself to CGL for Badge & perks), this is the first ticket I'm buying.

See ya there!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  03:47:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and just because it's become somewhat of a tradition for myself:

GenCon by the numbers:

Total D&D/Pathfinder games @ GenCon - 675

Pathfinder games - 27.3%
RPGA 4th Edition (official) games - 24.9%
Pathfinder Society (official) games - 23.0%
3.0/3.5 games - 8.9%
4th Edition games - 6.1%
RPGA/D&D Next (official) games - 5.2%
1st Edition games - 2.5%
2nd Edition games - 2.1%
BEMI games - 0.1%

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  05:00:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smerwin29

Since I am going to be there with my family, I was wondering if this event would be reasonable for a kid to attend. In other words, is it PG-13? Or would I have to explain to my kid what all those strange words Matt is using are, and why she shouldn't use them at school? :-)

Oh #$%& Great! I guess I'm not &*$#@*! going.

Its a Nue Yawk ding....

As of right now, I won't know until the very last minute, because I won't go alone, and my son won't know if he has off from work until the day before. So its a crap shoot for me... oops... I mean 'doody'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  05:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To all who are attending: there is a major Keynote Address going on immediately prior to the 25 Years of the Realms event, and I have it on good authority that things are going to be announced that we are going to want to talk about.

If you don't go to the Keynote Address, bear with us at the actual Candlekeep Event. People might be showing up a little late. But we also don't have an event in the room after us, so we can stay as late as we want to answer all your questions that we can.

In other news: get excited!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  06:00:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man! Wish I could go. I'd love to meet everybody and hob-nob. Sadly, I've neither the funds nor the time away from work. Also, August happens to already have an event that I will be attending- the Iron Maiden concert in Dallas. Sooo, guess I'll miss all you guys.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  12:02:38  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw Iron Maiden here in DC. It was a great show, they did a wonderful job. You'll enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  23:47:37  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than spin a yarn with Ed and the 25 year party, are there any other realms events at Indy?

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  00:09:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To all who are attending: there is a major Keynote Address going on immediately prior to the 25 Years of the Realms event, and I have it on good authority that things are going to be announced that we are going to want to talk about. [...]

If I may ask, are those things bad or good?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Jul 2012 00:10:07
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  03:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not partial to all the details, so I can't comment. You'll have to wait and see.

But I can assure you there is reason to be optimistic, and plenty of it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  03:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Other than spin a yarn with Ed and the 25 year party, are there any other realms events at Indy?
Yes.

Go to the Keynote address and/or come to the Candlekeep seminar for more detail.

Maybe/maybe not tangentially, I also highly suggest you attend at least one of the "What is the Sundering?" events. It might be pertinent.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  03:44:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

To all who are attending: there is a major Keynote Address going on immediately prior to the 25 Years of the Realms event, and I have it on good authority that things are going to be announced that we are going to want to talk about. [...]

I rather doubt that anyone associated with this is going to say "Yeah, you're going to hate what's coming up next..."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  13:25:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I rather doubt that anyone associated with this is going to say "Yeah, you're going to hate what's coming up next..."

does sound like something Fox at Twilight would say though....

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  17:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fox-at-Twilight is currently spying on the powers that be, and her reports are favorable. And teasing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know me. I call 'en how I see 'em, and this one is promising. Seriously.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  17:56:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You know me. I call 'en how I see 'em, and this one is promising. Seriously.

Cheers

And I'll take this moment to reiterate that in a private email exchange, Ed also expressed enthusiasm for the future of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  19:05:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Why should they lie about this? I mean, it's not that people are going to buy their books without checking what's in them first.
Besides, if they did something that has the potential to turn the majority of people here away (once again), then it'd mean that their target audience isn't going to include such kind of customer. So, as I see it, there's no real reason to lie (unless they want to have some laughs).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Jul 2012 19:08:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000