Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 MTV-era Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  21:50:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was working on a map earlier, and I was placing the terrain where Warlock's Crypt is going, and mentally I said to myself "Warlock's Crib".

Which immediately launched my ADHD-fueled imagination into an amalgam world of Faerūn and that of America circa 1970's-80's. Larloch, head of the west coast underworld, with his Maztican drug-lord connections, just chillin' in his Warlock's Crib. Polyester suits and funky hairdo's are all the rage in big cities like Waterdeep. Bards have embraced the new Anbaric Lute and play loud, provocative music called 'heavy magic'.

'The Chosen' are an elite gov't sponsored strike-force, which is overseen by a super-computer called Mystra-9000 (a combination of Hal {2001} and Ziggy from Qunatum leap). They have been bio-enhanced to be able to perform incredible feats, using a combination of tech and mutagetic formulas.

You'd have Mirt the Loan Shark, Craulnober the Elvish Pimp (he borrowed Jarlaxle's hat), a reality show about Alusair called "Killer Princesses" (that might be too advanced for a 70-80's world). 'Blackstaff' is a designer label, and he uses his nephew Danilo as a male-model (a'la Zoolander). Real-Estate Mogul Szass-Tam ("The Szastam") would also have his own show called 'The Apprentice', but when he says "you're fired", he sends an actual fireball at you.

Anyone else? This could be fun.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2012 21:51:43

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  23:47:16  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a winner, MT, LOL!!!! would we also have "Azoun-omics" and "Khelban's Angels"? Just off the top of my head, of course.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of Aluzair featuring on "Cormyr Shore".

and

Danactar the High Artificer pimping chariots with his Gond-Temple-Crew on Lantan on "West Coast Island Customs".

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  07:24:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm Silverhand as Debbie Gibson or Tiffany?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  10:05:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers would have to be in Waterdeep.

Who would Manshoon be?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  13:53:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Storm Silverhand as Debbie Gibson or Tiffany?

Storm would be more along the lines of the Debbie from the "Debbie Does..." movies.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  15:35:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Who would Manshoon be?
With that mask, a pro wrestler course!

Teams of Zhents (called 'Teamsters') run protection rackets and other nefarious crime in major cities, and also take a big cut from guilds. You could always hire the Pinkerton Harpers to break-up their picket-lines. Pasta Fzoul runs the organization (the Zhentifia).

CSI: Suzail, with Vagerdehast and his 'warmages' (a nickname for lab-nerds). Law & Chaos: Special Victims unit to handle non-human crimes.

Cadderly and his '700 club'.... Chuck Norris (as himself) figures out a new workout routine for Elves called 'bow-flex'. A new play featuring a drider opens on Broadway called 'arachnidman'.

On a darker note, Cult of the Dragon extremists have been bombing various civilian sites - Torillian Governments are organizing strikes against countries harboring their agents.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  15:57:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon as the Jimmy Hoffa of the Realms!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  23:15:11  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait- I thought we were going 70's-80's here? That's a bit more modern....

And Danilo would start a boy-band with Drizzt, Eliath, and Jarlaxle, called "The Back-Alley Boys".

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  00:14:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its kind of a mish-mosh at this point. I still want the chessy disco/80's vibe, though. Drow with afros and 'wizards' in leisure suits.

Baldur's Gate becomes the gambling capital of the Swordcoast - "What happens at the Gate stays at the Gate". The Seven Sisters open a 'ranch' outside of town. 'The Harpells' - a troupe of magicians - open at Shoon's Palace.

Angtsy teens (and drow) - who dress in black and use makeup to look pale - are know as 'Shades' (some think they are pretending to be vampires, but they are actually just trying to look somewhat interesting).

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 00:17:15
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2012 :  23:53:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a music group called "Malik's Midnight Runners" has a huge hit with "Come On Arilyn". It's their only hit ever.

The most popular theater productions are "Starjammer Wars" and "Back From the Future".

The elves of the High Forest start a fire-safety campaifgn using an awakened dire bear nicknamed Smokey.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  04:24:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice.

Folk-rock bard Olive Ruskettle comes out with her smash hit, "Weave of Destruction" (based on the Shadow-Weave, of course). She follows this up with "Hey, Mr. Finder-man" (play a song for me). The day after the Spellplague she performs her final composition, "The Times, they are a Changin", just before she boards her personal airship, which crashes, killing her and her entire band.

In the wake of this era, many halfling bards are found dead from cheeeeeeese over-doses.

Hollywood heart-throb Drizzt Du'Urden signs-on for a role as a vampire hunter, based on the comic book character "Blades".

Famous fantasy author Elminster begins writing stories set in a bizarre world where he visits a strange mage named 'Greenwood'. The world is full of odd, quasi-human beings who spend most of their time trying to earn enough money to have more free time (obviously a planet of the insane). The basic premise is that Greenwood visits him by coming up through his toilet....

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jul 2012 04:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  06:28:22  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the wake of a Zhent take-over and subsequent crash of a gnomish airship over Cormyr, all gnomish air-ship security is increased, subjecting passengers to metal-detecting spells, long delays for luggage searches, and worst of all, the restriction of certain races from flying. This leads to riots, criticism from Waterdhavian chapbook journalists, and portests.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  05:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I . . . I can't stop reading this.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  17:07:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Torm!!!"

The League of Kingdoms has denounced both Tu'Lung and Mulhorand for not doing anything about 'human trafficking' in their countries. The stream of unwilling coin-lasses coming through the Old Empires are being used across the Realms by unscrupulous 'Drow Daddies' (in their purple suits and 'Jarlaxle hats').

Polygamy begins to really catch-on in The North, with priests of Sune preaching the ways of 'Big Love'. Although not against polygamy per se', most other 'good' religions take a dim view of her adherents' methods.

Riots break-out in the Vilhon Reach when operation Red Peace tries to forcibly stop televised gladiatorial combats. Locals attack the demonstrators and much blood is spilled. On a side note, the live show gets it highest ratings ever, and producers invite the protestors back next year.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jul 2012 17:09:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  01:56:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

The most popular theater productions are "Starjammer Wars" and "Back From the Future".
Oooo! I like these two titles. In fact, I think I'll be able to incorporate "Starjammer Wars" somewhere in one of my currently many ongoing campaigns.

Thanks Alystra.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  03:07:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Sage! And on THAT note....

The most popular scrying-ball production is The Jandar Springer Show, a "talk" show which features severely dysfunctional guests who frequently get into fights for the viewers' entertainment. Also popular are "Guiding Lathander", a "soap" drama for bored housewives, and a "prime-time" production called "Damara" about a family of wealthy tycoons who live in a place called "Northfrok Ranch". During the second season, the big question on everyone's lips is "Who shot LR?"

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  14:58:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Jander Springer a dwarf?

Then there is the Maury Gnovitch show, which features many "who the half-orc baby daddy?" episodes.

Famous fashion designer Blackstaff hosts a TV talent show called 'Faerunian Idol" - he becomes known for saying such things as "that was bloody awful" and "you should just kill yourself now you talentless slob". His female co-host - an air-headed Elven Diva - simply likes to comment on their clothing and how nice they look. Their werewolf companion just calls everyone 'dawg'. The ratings go through the roof and surpass that of another hit reality series, 'Big Mother' (where they make matron mothers from various drow houses live together). A third show - Survivor state - slips from the number one spot.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jul 2012 14:59:36
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  15:21:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No he is a vampire, just like the real world Jerry Springer

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  15:57:04  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

No he is a vampire, just like the real world Jerry Springer

Ouch, kinda harsh there eh? I mean, calling someone a soulless, life sucking creature of darkness and pure, unrelenting evil that feeds on humanity as a worthless parasite and leaves death, ruin, and horror in its wake... Don't you think you're maybe being unfair to vampires?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  16:00:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A vampire dwarf then - we have to get-in the 'greed' angle.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  21:18:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather liked the "dwarf vampire" variant from 2E Ravenloft. Approximately the same as any human vampire, but meld into stone instead of turning into mist, a few different details about putting one to rest, different sorts of appetites, stuff like that. Very well done, IMO. To be fair, Jander and elven vamps in general were done pretty well too.

Alas, the usual D&D "one of everything" mentality which then sprouted into gnomy vamps, halfling vamps, goblin vamps, lizardman vamps, giant vamps, etc etc managed to carry things to the usual unbelievably ridiculous extremes. This is one instance where logic might suggest representative populations of vampires for any species, but my personal preference would overwhelmingly favour "plain vanilla" vamps and only use the others as rare and interesting treats.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  21:41:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A vampire dwarf then - we have to get-in the 'greed' angle.

Jander, Jander , Jander.....

and his body guard Wulfgar(with a newly shaved pate) to knock some heads together......

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  04:43:21  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why I love these types of threads. I just about sprayed diet coke out of my nose while trying not to fall on the floor from laughing too hard.

And what about the hit TV series from the islands of Kozakura "Dragonorb Z"?

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  10:56:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about that crack Cormyrian Purple Dragon group known as "The A-Team"? They broke out of one of Vangey's special prisons and are currenty on the lose in Tilverton.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 27 Jul 2012 20:59:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  15:00:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A group of adventurers-for-hire in the Forgotten Realms? no one will believe it....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  18:07:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about that crack Cormyrian Purple Dragon group known as "The A-Team"? They broke of of Vangey's special prison and are currenty on the lose in Tilverton.

Do they travel in a black wagon, owned by the jewelry-covered dwarf B.A. Barockis?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  19:34:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but they all have various degrees of Gnomish ancestry, given their penchant to create bizarre and over-the-top wagons for storming fortresses and what-not.

Then there is the TV program about an airship captain who crashes on an island and discovers a young woman trapped in a giant bottle. She tells him she's a genie, but in reality she's just a scam-artist who's used to be a magician's assistant in Baldur's Gate (so she knows a few tricks is all). Its called "I dream of a regular girl". Almost as bad as the other show where an ad-agent marries a woman who says she is a witch... but turns out shes just a living *itch.... and now he's stuck with a nasty mother-in-law and her wacko family.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jul 2012 19:34:51
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  21:01:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A group of adventurers-for-hire in the Forgotten Realms? no one will believe it....

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  21:04:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms World Season 4 was with the 12 Princes of Shade.

The Realms World Season 5 Staring the Seven Sister's.

Elminster: Night at the Museum.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 27 Jul 2012 21:05:46
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  03:09:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd never miss an episode of Harkle and Son....with all that family's hijinx in their magical junk yard.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000