Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 MTV-era Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 19 Jul 2012 : 21:50:51
So I was working on a map earlier, and I was placing the terrain where Warlock's Crypt is going, and mentally I said to myself "Warlock's Crib".

Which immediately launched my ADHD-fueled imagination into an amalgam world of Faerūn and that of America circa 1970's-80's. Larloch, head of the west coast underworld, with his Maztican drug-lord connections, just chillin' in his Warlock's Crib. Polyester suits and funky hairdo's are all the rage in big cities like Waterdeep. Bards have embraced the new Anbaric Lute and play loud, provocative music called 'heavy magic'.

'The Chosen' are an elite gov't sponsored strike-force, which is overseen by a super-computer called Mystra-9000 (a combination of Hal {2001} and Ziggy from Qunatum leap). They have been bio-enhanced to be able to perform incredible feats, using a combination of tech and mutagetic formulas.

You'd have Mirt the Loan Shark, Craulnober the Elvish Pimp (he borrowed Jarlaxle's hat), a reality show about Alusair called "Killer Princesses" (that might be too advanced for a 70-80's world). 'Blackstaff' is a designer label, and he uses his nephew Danilo as a male-model (a'la Zoolander). Real-Estate Mogul Szass-Tam ("The Szastam") would also have his own show called 'The Apprentice', but when he says "you're fired", he sends an actual fireball at you.

Anyone else? This could be fun.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 02:13:01
Hmmm...sounds like these would be interesting places to eat, if one doesn't mind a little magic sprinkled into every meal...
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 21:49:53
Also in competition with Wendonai's, whose cute succubus mascot sports red pig-tails......
Markustay Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 19:22:36
Its called McHalaster's in the Realms, and every 'happy meal' comes with a mini automaton.

They are in competition with Shadowking, who's famous The Chopper burger features special shadow-maters (anyone who used to frequent the WotC boards a few years back will get the reference).
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 10 Aug 2012 : 09:12:32
Other shows from the eastern realm of Kozakura: "Sailor Selune", "Transfigurines", and the one which runs the longest (and most hate to admit they were once avid fans) "Bag-of-Tricks Monsters", which shortened to "Bagmon" when it hits Faerun.

Sadly, my best ideas come after I've spent a week at work and sit at McDonald's waiting for stores and other business to open just so I don't spend gas going home and sitting around for a few hours then going back to the city to run my errands.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 02:53:09
Hmm, is something wrong with the boards today? The post went through, but it didn't register on the threads page. It still has my last post dated July 30, instead of today.....
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Aug 2012 : 02:51:00
Just thought of anotherone yesterday. A rogue Helmite knight who rides around Cormyr on a talking, neutral-aligned nightmare and works for a secret branch of a merchant company as a "trouble-shooter" who helps people being threatened by evil organizations or local bullies and such. He goes by "Mikal", and his steed has a slightly warped sense of humor. to the people he helps, he is simply known as "the Knight Rider"....
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 30 Jul 2012 : 03:34:38
A-Team, lol.... Yes, Jandar Springer is a (elven) vampire...
The Red Walker Posted - 29 Jul 2012 : 03:09:27
I'd never miss an episode of Harkle and Son....with all that family's hijinx in their magical junk yard.
Brimstone Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 21:04:22
The Realms World Season 4 was with the 12 Princes of Shade.

The Realms World Season 5 Staring the Seven Sister's.

Elminster: Night at the Museum.
Brimstone Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 21:01:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A group of adventurers-for-hire in the Forgotten Realms? no one will believe it....

Markustay Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 19:34:12
Yes, but they all have various degrees of Gnomish ancestry, given their penchant to create bizarre and over-the-top wagons for storming fortresses and what-not.

Then there is the TV program about an airship captain who crashes on an island and discovers a young woman trapped in a giant bottle. She tells him she's a genie, but in reality she's just a scam-artist who's used to be a magician's assistant in Baldur's Gate (so she knows a few tricks is all). Its called "I dream of a regular girl". Almost as bad as the other show where an ad-agent marries a woman who says she is a witch... but turns out shes just a living *itch.... and now he's stuck with a nasty mother-in-law and her wacko family.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 18:07:43
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What about that crack Cormyrian Purple Dragon group known as "The A-Team"? They broke of of Vangey's special prison and are currenty on the lose in Tilverton.

Do they travel in a black wagon, owned by the jewelry-covered dwarf B.A. Barockis?
Markustay Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 15:00:14
A group of adventurers-for-hire in the Forgotten Realms? no one will believe it....

Brimstone Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 10:56:48
What about that crack Cormyrian Purple Dragon group known as "The A-Team"? They broke out of one of Vangey's special prisons and are currenty on the lose in Tilverton.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 27 Jul 2012 : 04:43:21
This is why I love these types of threads. I just about sprayed diet coke out of my nose while trying not to fall on the floor from laughing too hard.

And what about the hit TV series from the islands of Kozakura "Dragonorb Z"?
The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 21:41:48
quote:

A vampire dwarf then - we have to get-in the 'greed' angle.

Jander, Jander , Jander.....

and his body guard Wulfgar(with a newly shaved pate) to knock some heads together......

Ayrik Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 21:18:57
I rather liked the "dwarf vampire" variant from 2E Ravenloft. Approximately the same as any human vampire, but meld into stone instead of turning into mist, a few different details about putting one to rest, different sorts of appetites, stuff like that. Very well done, IMO. To be fair, Jander and elven vamps in general were done pretty well too.

Alas, the usual D&D "one of everything" mentality which then sprouted into gnomy vamps, halfling vamps, goblin vamps, lizardman vamps, giant vamps, etc etc managed to carry things to the usual unbelievably ridiculous extremes. This is one instance where logic might suggest representative populations of vampires for any species, but my personal preference would overwhelmingly favour "plain vanilla" vamps and only use the others as rare and interesting treats.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 16:00:22
A vampire dwarf then - we have to get-in the 'greed' angle.
idilippy Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 15:57:04
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Is Jander Springer a dwarf?

No he is a vampire, just like the real world Jerry Springer

Ouch, kinda harsh there eh? I mean, calling someone a soulless, life sucking creature of darkness and pure, unrelenting evil that feeds on humanity as a worthless parasite and leaves death, ruin, and horror in its wake... Don't you think you're maybe being unfair to vampires?
The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 15:21:59
quote:

No he is a vampire, just like the real world Jerry Springer
Markustay Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 14:58:09

Then there is the Maury Gnovitch show, which features many "who the half-orc baby daddy?" episodes.

Famous fashion designer Blackstaff hosts a TV talent show called 'Faerunian Idol" - he becomes known for saying such things as "that was bloody awful" and "you should just kill yourself now you talentless slob". His female co-host - an air-headed Elven Diva - simply likes to comment on their clothing and how nice they look. Their werewolf companion just calls everyone 'dawg'. The ratings go through the roof and surpass that of another hit reality series, 'Big Mother' (where they make matron mothers from various drow houses live together). A third show - Survivor state - slips from the number one spot.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 03:07:14
Welcome, Sage! And on THAT note....

The most popular scrying-ball production is The Jandar Springer Show, a "talk" show which features severely dysfunctional guests who frequently get into fights for the viewers' entertainment. Also popular are "Guiding Lathander", a "soap" drama for bored housewives, and a "prime-time" production called "Damara" about a family of wealthy tycoons who live in a place called "Northfrok Ranch". During the second season, the big question on everyone's lips is "Who shot LR?"
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2012 : 01:56:26
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

The most popular theater productions are "Starjammer Wars" and "Back From the Future".
Oooo! I like these two titles. In fact, I think I'll be able to incorporate "Starjammer Wars" somewhere in one of my currently many ongoing campaigns.

Thanks Alystra.
Markustay Posted - 25 Jul 2012 : 17:07:17
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Cheers would have to be in Waterdeep.
"Torm!!!"

The League of Kingdoms has denounced both Tu'Lung and Mulhorand for not doing anything about 'human trafficking' in their countries. The stream of unwilling coin-lasses coming through the Old Empires are being used across the Realms by unscrupulous 'Drow Daddies' (in their purple suits and 'Jarlaxle hats').

Polygamy begins to really catch-on in The North, with priests of Sune preaching the ways of 'Big Love'. Although not against polygamy per se', most other 'good' religions take a dim view of her adherents' methods.

Riots break-out in the Vilhon Reach when operation Red Peace tries to forcibly stop televised gladiatorial combats. Locals attack the demonstrators and much blood is spilled. On a side note, the live show gets it highest ratings ever, and producers invite the protestors back next year.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Jul 2012 : 05:54:50
Wow, I . . . I can't stop reading this.

Cheers
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 06:28:22
In the wake of a Zhent take-over and subsequent crash of a gnomish airship over Cormyr, all gnomish air-ship security is increased, subjecting passengers to metal-detecting spells, long delays for luggage searches, and worst of all, the restriction of certain races from flying. This leads to riots, criticism from Waterdhavian chapbook journalists, and portests.
Markustay Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 04:24:44
Nice.

Folk-rock bard Olive Ruskettle comes out with her smash hit, "Weave of Destruction" (based on the Shadow-Weave, of course). She follows this up with "Hey, Mr. Finder-man" (play a song for me). The day after the Spellplague she performs her final composition, "The Times, they are a Changin", just before she boards her personal airship, which crashes, killing her and her entire band.

In the wake of this era, many halfling bards are found dead from cheeeeeeese over-doses.

Hollywood heart-throb Drizzt Du'Urden signs-on for a role as a vampire hunter, based on the comic book character "Blades".

Famous fantasy author Elminster begins writing stories set in a bizarre world where he visits a strange mage named 'Greenwood'. The world is full of odd, quasi-human beings who spend most of their time trying to earn enough money to have more free time (obviously a planet of the insane). The basic premise is that Greenwood visits him by coming up through his toilet....
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 23 Jul 2012 : 23:53:13
And a music group called "Malik's Midnight Runners" has a huge hit with "Come On Arilyn". It's their only hit ever.

The most popular theater productions are "Starjammer Wars" and "Back From the Future".

The elves of the High Forest start a fire-safety campaifgn using an awakened dire bear nicknamed Smokey.
Markustay Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 00:14:53
Its kind of a mish-mosh at this point. I still want the chessy disco/80's vibe, though. Drow with afros and 'wizards' in leisure suits.

Baldur's Gate becomes the gambling capital of the Swordcoast - "What happens at the Gate stays at the Gate". The Seven Sisters open a 'ranch' outside of town. 'The Harpells' - a troupe of magicians - open at Shoon's Palace.

Angtsy teens (and drow) - who dress in black and use makeup to look pale - are know as 'Shades' (some think they are pretending to be vampires, but they are actually just trying to look somewhat interesting).
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 20 Jul 2012 : 23:15:11
Wait- I thought we were going 70's-80's here? That's a bit more modern....

And Danilo would start a boy-band with Drizzt, Eliath, and Jarlaxle, called "The Back-Alley Boys".

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000