Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Most Influential Netherese Archwizard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  12:31:53  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His brother Brennus would also try to stop him i think...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  14:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bringing an entity of darkness and secrets into the light (ala 3e-4e) should almost by definition be exposing Shar to weakness.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  15:14:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Bringing an entity of darkness and secrets into the light (ala 3e-4e) should almost by definition be exposing Shar to weakness.

Them putting a deity of darkness into the spotlight is an irony that has been commented on, more than once.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:06:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note the Drow tactics - Lolth plans to envelop much of the world 'in shadows' so the light won't effect them. Don't you think the shades would like that very much?

I think Lolth is going to replace Shar (which isn't bad - one female 'goddess of darkness' is enough). Not sure who is going to replace Mystra.

I have my suspicions about The Simbul, but they are not what you might think. Consider her namesake...

Lolth is an ELVEN power.

Anyhow, Telemont* is not the type to put all his eggs in one basket (as the Netherese once did with Mystry's Weave), so I can definitely see him 'playing all ends against the middle', and not wanting any one deity to become the "end-all, be-all" of magic (a 'magical monopoly' would be a bad thing for consumers).

* Despite YEARS of reservations, I am finding myself enjoying the RotAW.... dammit...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 May 2012 18:07:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:01:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

His brother Brennus would also try to stop him i think...

He would, certainly. But given the scene from the excerpt of Godborn which Paul kindly shared to us, Brennus would likely need a very powerful ally. [His most powerful spell was easily swatted by his brother, as if it were a mere insect.]

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have my suspicions about The Simbul, but they are not what you might think. Consider her namesake...

It was hinted in The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey that The Simbul, the goddess, not Alassra, would one day return...

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Anyhow, Telemont* is not the type to put all his eggs in one basket (as the Netherese once did with Mystry's Weave), so I can definitely see him 'playing all ends against the middle', and not wanting any one deity to become the "end-all, be-all" of magic (a 'magical monopoly' would be a bad thing for consumers).

He's proven that a lot of times. I even theorized that the reason he was confident in binding Mephistopheles using all the magic from the mythallar is because should it eventually fail (as the Lord of the Eight gloatingly said), his backup power-sources would automatically be activated. I don't think he'd risk the safety of the entire city for an information he would get out of an archdevil (which he can get from other sources, anyway) without having the right contingencies.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 May 2012 19:03:03
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:04:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Right. And this makes me think that likely, should Shade find it necessary to conquer Evareska and tries to weaken its mythal by casting a Shadowshell around it, Galaeron's share of shadow magic might either delay or cancel the effects of the Shadowshell.

-Outside of occupying the property and having control of the mythal- which doesn't literally mean they'd know how to tamper and manipulate it, but that they'd just control the territory it encompasses- I don't see much that they'd gain by bothering. After the war with the Phaerimm, and then the Fey'ri, Evereska is pretty down and out, and so much of the stuff that made it attractive- magical knowledge, artifacts, items, etc.- have been moved.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  05:44:20  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They certainly would have hidden many of Evereska's treasures. Still the possibility of using another shadowshell on Evereska would be useless. Galaeron helped with reconstructing the mythal so now it bears a part of the shadow weave, if they used a shadowshell, the mythal would probably keep on chugging since it can presumable draw shadow energy too...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  20:00:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Given all that happened to Evereska's mythal- in the past 104 years, Phaerimm, Shadovar, tampering, Fey'ri, tampering, Spellplague- who knows anymore. I never liked the concept of a 'shadow' mythal too much, but at this point, with most other mythals we know about corrupted, destroyed, or somehow otherwise not working properly, I'd take a working model, even if it is tinged with shadows.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  05:37:10  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one in myth drannor is working just fine again thanks to Araevin Teshurr. By the way do you think the ritual that he performed the telmikarra neshyrr(ritual of transformation) made him immortal?
Saelethil Dlardrageth said that by binding some magical essence into his soul, he could wield high magic spells, some of the examples he cited good,evil,chaos,law...etc. Does that mean being a lich or being a shade could also have helped him??(just want to know)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2012 :  17:02:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The one in myth drannor is working just fine again thanks to Araevin Teshurr. By the way do you think the ritual that he performed the telmikarra neshyrr(ritual of transformation) made him immortal?

-Seemingly, it transformed him into an Eladree, created by Sean Reynolds on his website, that I touched up a bit for 3e in Elves of Faerūn.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2012 :  18:38:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Seemingly, it transformed him into an Eladree, created by Sean Reynolds on his website, that I touched up a bit for 3e in Elves of Faerūn.

Or a celadrin, from Dragon 350. Similar idea, but not quite the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  04:08:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or a celadrin, from Dragon 350. Similar idea, but not quite the same thing.

-Given that Hanali Celanil was not involved (as far as we know), I personally think that that's the less likely of the two, but given that it's up in the air, that's as likely as something completely different.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 16 May 2012 04:09:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  05:51:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They certainly would have hidden many of Evereska's treasures. Still the possibility of using another shadowshell on Evereska would be useless. Galaeron helped with reconstructing the mythal so now it bears a part of the shadow weave, if they used a shadowshell, the mythal would probably keep on chugging since it can presumable draw shadow energy too...

It's a possibility, as I said in my above post. However, Galearon is just one. And a Shadowshell is constructed by several archwizards. The Shadowsell might as well weaken the Weave-based magic of the Evareskan mythal while at the same time picking the shreds of shadow magic that Galaeron cast on the mythal and have it join/link to the shell itself.

On the other hand, I recall that Galaeron saw for himself how the Shadover created the Shadowshell, so maybe he'd learned a way or two about its weakness, and applied that knowledge when he helped reconstruct their mythal.

Edited by - Dennis on 31 May 2012 05:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  06:08:51  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True and perhaps with whatever knowledge he has of shadow magic thanks to Melegaunt, he could have help shore up the defenses of the mythal

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  07:22:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Has there been any reference to Galaeron's "small" contribution in rebuilding their mythal in any recent elfish novels? Does the Evareskan mythal now function as good as it did before the phaerimm attack, or better? [You see, I don't normally read elfish stuff, so...]

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  11:23:33  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well in the Last Mythal series all that is mentioned is that their mythal is still weak from the phaerimm and shades, but other than that im not so sure what has happen since the Spellplague...maybe its much more healthier now?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  01:48:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Looking back, shouldn't have Khelben, as a token of friendship, shared even a dollop of his silverfire during the reconstruction of Evareska's mythal?

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:03:21  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't such a gift insault the one being given to, as it says that you can't do it on your own. I'm not sure, I've never sure on how much of a near eastern feel they are going for here. They've captured it in some senses but not in others.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:18:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He's proven himself a good friend to the elves so many times the elves have lost count. Besides, he has elven blood in him. So, no, I wouldn't think it an insult. What they should have considered an insult is Galaeron's shadow magic---the very type of magic that partly caused the collapse of their mythal.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  04:02:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looking back, shouldn't have Khelben, as a token of friendship, shared even a dollop of his silverfire during the reconstruction of Evareska's mythal?

Do we even know how silverfire and a mythal would interact? The two may not interact well with each other... If I want a drink of water, a water fountain gives me exactly what I need. A firehose would also give me water, but it's not in a format I can readily use.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  04:11:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah, but hadn't he and Elminster used silverfire in rebuilding the City of Hope? They blended their magic with several other people's Weave-based magic, including those who once were their foes. Granted it's not a mythal...But the mythal itself mainly taps magic filtered from the Weave. So if other Weave-based magic can blend with silverfire, why can't the mythal?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  04:45:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah, but hadn't he and Elminster used silverfire in rebuilding the City of Hope? They blended their magic with several other people's Weave-based magic, including those who once were their foes. Granted it's not a mythal...But the mythal itself mainly taps magic filtered from the Weave. So if other Weave-based magic can blend with silverfire, why can't the mythal?

My point is that perhaps a mythal requires delicate magics, not the flood of raw power represented by silverfire.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  13:45:54  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what they did in Evereskas, Khelben, Storm and hmm was there also Alustriel(this one i am not so sure) unleashed their silver fire everytime it recharged and directed it into the Mythal, which provided it with a magical boost and helped to shore up its defenses, mainly allowing it to fire meteor swarms at Phaerimm still in Evereska.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  14:30:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is exactly what they did in Evereskas, Khelben, Storm and hmm was there also Alustriel(this one i am not so sure) unleashed their silver fire everytime it recharged and directed it into the Mythal, which provided it with a magical boost and helped to shore up its defenses, mainly allowing it to fire meteor swarms at Phaerimm still in Evereska.

My mistake, then. I've not read those books in quite some time, because I rather dislike them.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  07:41:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops, I must have missed that part. Well, in that series, I tend to forget the parts where the Shadovar and the phaerimm were not featured.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  15:28:40  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iolaum, honestly, is there anyone else on the list that even comes close to his influence? Through him we actually get the rise of magic all over the Realms for millennia to come.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  04:05:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the published sources, I would agree with you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  12:17:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps a tie between Ioulaum and Karsus. While Ioulaum is the man who "started it all," Karsus considerably set the bars so high for any archwizards. He was (arguably) the most powerful archwizard, and the most brilliant. He provided external motivation for any archwizards to keep improving on their spellcraft--to outdo him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  14:29:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps a tie between Ioulaum and Karsus. While Ioulaum is the man who "started it all," Karsus considerably set the bars so high for any archwizards. He was (arguably) the most powerful archwizard, and the most brilliant. He provided external motivation for any archwizards to keep improving on their spellcraft--to outdo him.

And destroyed all of Netheril, which no other archwizard did, and certainly influenced the nation.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  23:21:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telamont. The rest or dead or undead molding in thier tombs, while Telmont rules all of Netheril except Selunarra, and guides the research of that entire Empire. He's reasonable directly or indirectly for all Post Spellplague Post Netherese wizardly magic. An entire art redefined. And he's one of the ones whose adapting Netherese wizardy to the weave rewoven post Sundering.

He is a master of the Arcane and Shadow magic, probably the single most powerful current politician in Faerun running Shade, the Netherese ground cities, Sembia, a couple of dales, Gloomwrought and who knows how many other places, in multiple planes.

Also the City of Shade survived, the rest, except Selunnara did not.

The others were of great influence, in the distant past, only Telamont is a current player.

I just don't see any real competition for Telamont here, Telamont wins on staying power, politics, multiple magical power sources, keeping his people and culture alive, for current influence on the current Netherese magical tradition, and so much more.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000