Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [1e-2e] Savage Frontier modules and references
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  02:58:56  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, folks,

On a related note to this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16262

I'm working on a sandbox of my own, and I'm looking to pull together any AD&D-era material for the Savage Frontier. What I've got, so far:

FR0 (Old Grey Box)
FR1 Waterdeep and the North
FR5 The Savage Frontier
N5 Under Illefarn
"The Inheritance" from Dungeon #26

I've got the PDF of the "The North" box set, haven't scoured it for references, yet - I'm leaning towards 1e information where there's a conflict, though. I've also got The Silver Marches on pdf, although I haven't found much to recommend it over the previous versions of that work.

I'm mainly looking for location info - I'm putting together a 5-mile-per-hex Wilderlands-style map based on the FR5 map. In particular, any additional Dungeon mag adventures would be helpful. Am I missing anything obvious, here?

-DYA

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 30 Mar 2012 23:21:44

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  03:50:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If by "AD&D-era" you mean circa 1E and 2E, then you've already listed the best references. (Truthfully, aside from FR0 and FR5 there's nothing else available in 1E for this area, it remained largely untouched until 2E.)

The North pdf/boxset you haven't yet examined is probably the most useful and exhaustive source overall, it basically has everything about the North (outside of Waterdeep) that you'll find in all the other products.

Also check:

Volo's Guide to the North
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep

(You may have heard of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II but it's not what you'd expect. It should be named Volo's Guide to Bars, Pubs, & Drinking Establishments throughout the Lands of Intrigue. And there is no Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate I.)

This dusty old scroll lists adventure modules known to be set in the region.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Mar 2012 04:03:47
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  04:26:52  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha - somehow I'd forgotten about the Volo's stuff. (Last time I was running the Realms, it was Cormyr, and I leaned on that VG pretty heavily.) Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  12:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Atlas (the book version) could also be of some use. BTW, "The Inheritance" is a great adventure, one of the classics from Dungeon.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  20:56:56  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

The Forgotten Realms Atlas (the book version) could also be of some use. BTW, "The Inheritance" is a great adventure, one of the classics from Dungeon.

I've actually been looking at the FR Atlas to work in the river/cavern system under Dragonspear Castle/the High Moor (from the "Waterdeep" novel/module).

And I'm definitely excited about "The Inheritance" - I figure to use it (beefed up, if necessary) as a follow-up to "Illefarn", and as a gateway to further adventures in the Savage Frontier. ("Gateway?" Get it? ;) )

I figure at that point they'll be ready to start exploring Undermountain, and then maybe on to the Mere of Dead men stuff.
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  16:25:47  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh.

Well, I sat down and went over my "The North" PDF. Honestly, it doesn't look like they added anything of substance.

As near as I can tell, they

A) inserted Salvatore novel references

B) put in margin art and padded the wordcount out some from a FR5 copy-paste

and C) rolled a d6 to add random levels to NPCs.

The Daggerford booklet's the same, just copied out of N5. I'll probably print out the merchant tables and the encounter tables, but other than that, this seems totally superfluous. Think I'll just stick with FR5, it's the same data, and it'll require less backdating.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  17:11:50  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you there. The thing that really irritated me about the North box was that the Arcane brotherhood entry used Salvatores characters, not the (more interesting in my opinion) leaders presented in the Volo guide.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000