Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Silver Marches Hex Crawl - how would I start this?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Started a new Silver Marches campaign and would like to turn the SIlver Marches map from the 3e book into a hexmap and start filling it in.

Who has done something liket his in the realms and can lend some advice? Thanks : )

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:57:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have Photoshop, I found THIS very helpful.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  02:50:47  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think what you're looking for is right here:

http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-make-fantasy-sandbox.html

'Course, with a pre-existing region like the North, half that work's already done for you. (I'll be doing something similar soon-ish, only for 1e with FR5 The Savage Frontier.) You'll probably want to round up any modules you want to use, and mine them for locations: For the sandbox campaign I'm working on currently (in the southern Keoland area, in Greyhawk), I used locations from the U series (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh and its sequels), N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God and I7 Baltron's Beacon. You've got to be prepared, of course, for the eventuality that the players will encounter these areas "out of sequence" - embrace this, don't shy away from it. That's the beauty of a sandbox - you get to be surprised as a DM as much as your players do.

For the North, off the top of my head, there's N5 Under Illefarn, and The Inheritance from Dungeon #26. I'm actually posting a thread asking for SF references (AD&D-centric, but should be some use to you if folks post).

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 30 Mar 2012 23:22:05
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  03:23:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll append this to Markus's suggestion about hex maps.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  03:52:04  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give me a ten day and I'll have all you need as far as fluff and on-goings in the Marches.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  05:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'll append this to Markus's suggestion about hex maps.

Both the OGB and the 2E FRCS had clear plastic hex overlays to use on the included maps.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  08:45:10  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Copper Elven Vampire: I'd be interested in stuff about the marches, too. Pre-Spellplague, of course. ;)
Thanks!

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  10:57:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is a 20 post and counting guide to hex mapping starting here

http://trollsmyth.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/hex-mapping-part-1-whys-and-wherefores.html

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  00:48:01  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice post here about how many 'things' need to be put into a hex

http://monstersandmanuals.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/contents-of-hexes.html

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1095 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  15:00:55  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Give me a ten day and I'll have all you need as far as fluff and on-goings in the Marches.

Would love to see what you have to share and by my count, it has passed a tenday. Unless we are counting in game to real time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000