Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 After "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" comes out
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  05:46:42  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I've been thinking, after WotC publishes "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" with Greenwood's version of the Realms, what will be the long-term effects on the IP?

No doubt about it, it WILL be an alternate reality from the current canon Realms. If people embrace it, will it effectively replace the current canon world?

Think about this, really think about it. Once it's out, it means that there will effectively be two canon Realms. Which will be the "right" one, if either? The "canon-1" world, with flaws aplenty? Or the "canon-2" world with "everything as intended" by the creator?

Generally, customers like to know what, how, and if future products fit with a given "line" or setting. Is this a well-intentioned idea that they haven't fully thought through? Will they label future products as generic, canon-1 and canon-2?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  07:04:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to know when the start date is. 1356ish or later?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  07:34:16  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless someone has seen the full manuscript says otherwise (in that case they're probably bound by a sturdy NDA), I don't think we should automatically conclude Elminster's Forgotten Realms is an alternate timeline or version of the Realms.

I think it will more likely be Ed emphasizing pieces of Realmslore he used in his games and maybe offer more elaboration on those areas with some new lore thrown in.

If they so choose, a group can probably reconstruct a good representation of a Realms setting with Ed's notes (that's what WotC called the book essentially) and existing information from all the editions released.

I think this will not be enough to constitute a whole standalone setting by itself or offer the knockout blow of a full alternate timeline, version, or reboot. I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  09:38:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think WotC will simply say it's not FR canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  12:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think WotC will simply say it's not FR canon.

If it is set in the OGB era (or before), it will be canon to me. I will take Ed's vision of the Realms before I ever accept what the hacks over at WoTC have put out recently.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  12:36:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Ed is a swell guy and I'm interesting to see what changes he made but l'll look at them just like anyone elses "homebrew" ideas. Its not canon, its not really 'official'. But I too feel WotC wont be making it Canon.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  12:58:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Elminster's Forgotten Realms will have any long term effects on the IP in the sense of splitting the timeline--why should it?

I'm hoping it's like a Volo's Guide and that it gives long-time fans a great big taste of something they haven't gotten in awhile.

quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I will take Ed's vision of the Realms before I ever accept what the hacks over at WoTC have put out recently.
Why is it necessary to insult people in order to get your point across?

You can not like something--and say as much--without also going after the people creating it.

Also, Ed's published some great Realmslore lately in his Eye on the Realms articles. Does he count as a "hack" too since he's not precisely writing his vision of the Realms when he pens these articles?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 12 Mar 2012 13:00:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  14:02:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm content enough to believe that this product will simply fall under the "idea of the truth" about the Forgotten Realms as was indicated in the 'Introduction' of the Ol' Grey Box.

Specifically:-
quote:
The information presented herein is as known to myself, those about me in the lands north and west of the Sea of Fallen Stars, and those I have encountered in my travels. On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. All stories presented are as I have heard them and had them recorded, all information is checked as best as possible given the limited resources of an old man in a small town (even if that old man has the power to flatten mountains, mind you). As you adventure in this fantasy world, be warned that not all things are as they appear, and trust to your wits, your weapons, and your common sense in surviving and profiting from the Forgotten Realms.
In other words, it's only canon, or not, if you, as the DM, deem it as such.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  14:51:28  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the way it's been advertised, it's been made to sound like the Realms as run by Ed in his own campaign. In that sense, yes, you could think of it as an 'alternate reality', but I would be exceedingly surprised if it gets any additional support beyond the initial publication.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

I will take Ed's vision of the Realms before I ever accept what the hacks over at WoTC have put out recently.

You can not like something--and say as much--without also going after the people creating it.

Also, Ed's published some great Realmslore lately in his Eye on the Realms articles. Does he count as a "hack" too since he's not precisely writing his vision of the Realms when he pens these articles?

While I agree that using the term 'hacks' was unnecessary on Apex's part, you are making an erupting volcano out of a mudpie. He made a bad call, you are trying to pick a fight. I realize that any criticism of the Shattered Realms is something you find absolutely intolerable, but you could have simply said 'knock it off' and left it at that. So please...knock it off.
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

From the way it's been advertised, it's been made to sound like the Realms as run by Ed in his own campaign. In that sense, yes, you could think of it as an 'alternate reality', but I would be exceedingly surprised if it gets any additional support beyond the initial publication.

It is debatable as to the era. The synopsis out now talks about adding information on "its visible and clandestine rulers, various merchant and trade princes, the churches and mercenary companies of the Realms, renown magic-users and secret societies, adventuring companies, and the web of alliances and enmities that connect them"

Is that info on the rulers/groups/etc of 1350DR Realms or of the Shattered Realms. If it is the latter, they can county my money out.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:48:30  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that Greenwood has told us (at least here) of a few "big things" that are very different in his world vs. the published one. IIRC, I don't think his world had the "Time of Troubles" or the Spellplague/Abeir/4Echanges. Am I totally wrong about this? I could be, I don't visit the forums regularly.

If I'm right, though, that kinda says "alternate reality Realms" to me. Maybe the differences will not be mentioned, however. Or they might be minimized.

But even if that's the case, the blurb does say it will have new information on rulers, merchant costers, churches, and mercenaries, among other things. As such, if names are named, they'll have to be put somewhere and with specific dates.

Or do people see this effort as being just another supplement that will be compatible with 4E? Or generic enough that it'll fit with any edition?

Personally, I think it's being advertised as an alternate reality. It's "Ed's Realms", right? What I want and would expect to see is at least a basic accounting of how his world differs from the canon-published Realms. If not, if it's just more lore that has been made extremely generic to fit any era/edition, I'm not sure it would be nearly as interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I like new lore. Especially when it's penned directly by Greenwood. But I see this as being quite different than supplements that have come before.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 12 Mar 2012 15:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  16:02:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess is that since this material will be from Ed’s home notes, we’re going to get Realmslore that was designed for the era his campaign is set in.

But much like the Volo’s Guides and most of Ed’s Eye on the Realms articles, I think this latest book will contain information that’s usable by DMs in any era of the Realms.

I’m really excited to see the information on churches, mercenaries and merchant cabals. That seems like it will be the kind of stuff that you can insert into a Realms game and have it fit pretty seamlessly.

I recall Ed mentioning somewhere that his group voted not to play through the Time of Troubles. Going to go out on a limb here and say they probably haven’t played through the return of Shade either.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  16:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that you have the wrong idea about the product. I think that the sole purpose of this product is to allow a "window" for players, readers, and DMs as to what Ed has done with the Realms in his home campaign. It is not to start an alternate timeline. It is a standalone product (though I would not mind there being multiple volumes of it). Canon is what WotC, the IP holder, deems it to be, and nothing else. Ed knew this when he sold the IP. And in the end, I do not think that it will be anything more than they intended, a non-canonical look at what Ed has done with the Realms in his home game.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  16:14:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be canon for me. I hope there are multiple volumes and it sells like hotcakes.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  16:35:13  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, if it ends up just being more lore that's generic, I'll probably have to see it and read it before buying.

Just from the title alone, I had the strong impression that it's intended to imply "Ed's World" (which to me says "different timeline and all"). But if it's not that at all, then it's not going to be a compelling purchase.

Thing is, I'd be VERY interested in seeing Ed's alternate reality Realms. I'd even pre-order it. If it's advertised as such and ends up being just a collection of plug-n-play lore items, I don't really need or want that. Granted, Ed has and can come up with some amazing plug-n-play lore-bites. But I'd much rather see HIS Realms, and it is being advertised that way IMO.

I hope I'm not disappointed. Again.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 12 Mar 2012 16:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  16:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We really don't know what Ed's piece is going to be, and whether it will have the seal of "official canon" or not. Ultimately, I think it really shouldn't matter to the vast majority of people connected to the Realms--your DM is the arbiter of what goes in your game. Whether it's official canon or not affects the designers and authors more than the players, as we're the ones who take it all into account, just like any other sourcebook.

Also, you better believe I will incorporate as much of it as I can, in my games and my design work. Ed is the Realms, and what he designs should always be our guiding light.

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:
quote:

While I agree that using the term 'hacks' was unnecessary on Apex's part, you are making an erupting volcano out of a mudpie. He made a bad call, you are trying to pick a fight. I realize that any criticism of the Shattered Realms is something you find absolutely intolerable, but you could have simply said 'knock it off' and left it at that. So please...knock it off.
Indeed. It takes two (or more) to argue (OMH, be careful that's not what you're doing too by ascribing motives to Jeremy's post), so let's just not argue.

This does not, however, mean one shouldn't call people out who insult you or others. In that case, "knock it off" is a suitable reply. (This is maybe actually a "helpful" reply, as generally people tend not to listen to those who insult them.)

Personally, I respond with a big "meh": We're all hacks to one extent or another. Whether you consider me (or any of my colleagues) a particularly egregious hack doesn't really matter to my work. I'm just going to keep doing it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  17:54:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

So I've been thinking, after WotC publishes "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" with Greenwood's version of the Realms, what will be the long-term effects on the IP?

Just wondering, since I quit following things after 4E and just occasionally pick up novels now, when did this get announced and when is it being released? With 5th edition "around the corner", I would wonder if this weren't a generic type supplement meant to support the path they're proposing there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  17:54:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-If it is an alternate take on the official setting, likely, it will have little-to-no impact on the official setting, regardless of how good it does. Look at Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights, two games that, by all accounts, sold very well, made WotC and the other companies involved in developing the game plenty of money, and are beloved by a large amount of people years and years after they were produced (especially Baldur's Gate). Despite being successes, they're deemed non-canon and they've been relatively ignored, in terms of having their content implemented in the official setting, and in terms of being revisited and whatnot. I mean, they're now remaking Baldur's Gate in some capacity, and that game came out fifteen years ago or so?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Personally, I respond with a big "meh": We're all hacks to one extent or another. Whether you consider me (or any of my colleagues) a particularly egregious hack doesn't really matter to my work. I'm just going to keep doing it.

Any writer who accepts a commission may be accurately described as a hack, unless he has the audacity to maintain that his work exists in a class of its own, set apart from the ordinary by some unique quality.

In a world where Burroughs, Haggard, Lovecraft, Vance, Howard, Conan Doyle, Leiber, Heinlein and Poe may be accurately described as 'hacks', being men who wrote on commission (or to sell piece-meal), with short deadlines and in order to earn a living, with all of them writing for the pulps or their era's equivalent ('penny-dreadfuls', etc.), I think that it would be the height of arrogance for any modern author to take offence to the term. Indeed, Shakespeare and Marlowe lived of their writing and directing and could both be tagged as prime 'hacks', producing a stream of commercial works and being paid by the line in many cases.

Pretty much the only way to escape 'hackdom' is to be independently wealthy, pursue writing only as a hobby or to be such a towering genius that even work you do in three sleepness nights to pay overdue bills is considered transcendental literature. Which doesn't happen much. I mean, Shakespeare wrote Hamlet and Henry V, but he also wrote Coriolanus and Henry VIII, not to mention plays like a Winter's Tale and Timons of Athens, neither of which makes any sense at all without being essentially re-written by the director/artistic director/theatrical producer.

And if it's good enough for the Bard, it's plenty good enough for any of us. Remember, being a 'hack' means that your creative work is good enough for other people to pay you to do it, unlike the staggering sums of nothing we are getting for our posts here.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:17:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and the term is also a pejorative. It would be shortsighted to presume the term is only ever used in a complimentary way.

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:22:38  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and the term is also a pejorative. It would be shortsighted to presume the term is only ever used in a complimentary way.

Jeremy, please stop. Your tendency to take over a thread based on your personal response to someone's offhand comment is not acceptable in this thread.

If you can't stay on-topic in my thread, get out. You may think you're doing something noble, but you're just fanning the flames. SO STOP IT OR GET OUT.

Capice?

Let's get back on TOPIC please.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Almost anything can be meant in a pejorative way. You can call someone a great hero and beloved leader, while admiringly praising his wonderful kindness and affection for all children, in a way that leaves no doubt that you think he's a cowardly tyrant pedophile.

But why do you go around looking for ways to be offended on behalf of someone else? Isn't there enough offence in the world without inventing more out of every throw-away statement that could possibly be interpreted in a negative light?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:43:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

Almost anything can be meant in a pejorative way. You can call someone a great hero and beloved leader, while admiringly praising his wonderful kindness and affection for all children, in a way that leaves no doubt that you think he's a cowardly tyrant pedophile.

But why do you go around looking for ways to be offended on behalf of someone else? Isn't there enough offence in the world without inventing more out of every throw-away statement that could possibly be interpreted in a negative light?

Please drop this, it's extremely off topic.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:56:50  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Just wondering, since I quit following things after 4E and just occasionally pick up novels now, when did this get announced and when is it being released? With 5th edition "around the corner", I would wonder if this weren't a generic type supplement meant to support the path they're proposing there.

My understanding, which is really just from reading the Amazon.com page for the book, is that it's coming out this October 2012.

So, just in time for the holidays. Usually Amazon's dates are spot-on.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-If it is an alternate take on the official setting, likely, it will have little-to-no impact on the official setting, regardless of how good it does. Look at Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights, two games that, by all accounts, sold very well, made WotC and the other companies involved in developing the game plenty of money, and are beloved by a large amount of people years and years after they were produced (especially Baldur's Gate). Despite being successes, they're deemed non-canon and they've been relatively ignored, in terms of having their content implemented in the official setting, and in terms of being revisited and whatnot. I mean, they're now remaking Baldur's Gate in some capacity, and that game came out fifteen years ago or so?

My impression, and this isn't to say I'm right, is that computer games never really have been taken as canon. Could be wrong, though. I do think that printed supplements are viewed in a very different light, and this one seems to be an entirely new and different type of supplement altogether.

Could be wrong about that, though. It may be that it's just a regular supplement afterall, and not something "new" in the sense of a different type of product. It's just that when I first heard about it and read of it, it really did seem like they were going to do "Ed's World" rather than just making a supplement with newish lore.

Not that one is better than the other, it's just that it seemed different in nature than what's been done before.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 12 Mar 2012 19:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:16:34  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" will resemble any era of the published realms that closely. Ed on multiple occasions has mentioned that his home setting is different then the published realms. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Ed had complete creative control and did not actually sell his home setting to WotC. I think this will be a one shot product, very cool but I do not think that it will become a supplemented alternate realms setting. The only effect on the cannon realms that I could see is a change in tone of cannon realms to be more thematically like Ed's Realms if the product sells exceptionally well.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:20:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

The only effect on the cannon realms that I could see is a change in tone of cannon realms to be more thematically like Ed's Realms if the product sells exceptionally well.
That would actually be pretty cool.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see on this book to determine just what those themes are (considering here that some of those themes may be as yet unknown) but with Ed, it's usually all good.

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I don't think that the "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" will resemble any era of the published realms that closely. Ed on multiple occasions has mentioned that his home setting is different then the published realms. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Ed had complete creative control and did not actually sell his home setting to WotC. I think this will be a one shot product, very cool but I do not think that it will become a supplemented alternate realms setting. The only effect on the cannon realms that I could see is a change in tone of cannon realms to be more thematically like Ed's Realms if the product sells exceptionally well.

Yeah, one could see WoTC using the sales of this as a "feeler" for a potential reset back towards the OGB. After spending the last 10 years or so catering to younger gamers, maybe they finally realized that it is us older gamers that have the disposable income to drop on their products.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:41:29  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, one could see WoTC using the sales of this as a "feeler" for a potential reset back towards the OGB. After spending the last 10 years or so catering to younger gamers, maybe they finally realized that it is us older gamers that have the disposable income to drop on their products.

I did not mean to imply that I felt this product was a test as to whether a reset would occur. I certainly do not think that only targeting older games is a wise plan. However, appealing to more customers is always a good plan. I think that how the current published realms is presented would change. More a change in perspective like looking at the same image with sun glasses on, rather than rebooting in response to good sales. Also, I think it would have to sell very well to make any significant impact, because (rightly so) the current design team seems proud of the tones and themes they have developed.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 12 Mar 2012 19:41:53
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:42:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My impression, and this isn't to say I'm right, is that computer games never really have been taken as canon. Could be wrong, though. I do think that printed supplements are viewed in a very different light, and this one seems to be an entirely new and different type of supplement altogether.

Could be wrong about that, though. It may be that it's just a regular supplement afterall, and not something "new" in the sense of a different type of product. It's just that when I first heard about it and read of it, it really did seem like they were going to do "Ed's World" rather than just making a supplement with newish lore.

Not that one is better than the other, it's just that it seemed different in nature than what's been done before.

-No, the video games aren't canon. I brought them up because, for all intents and purposes, the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games have been pretty big hits- decent sales and support over the years, a large enough fanbases, and whatever else- but never had any kind of impact on the setting despite that. If this book is a compilation of how things were first envisioned by Ed Greenwood when he wrote up the world- and I don't know if it is; I'd never heard of this book until now- we know that it isn't going to be canon. Looking at the video games, if it isn't canon, it isn't likely to have much of an impact on the plotlines and stories and everything else going on in the canon setting.

-Obviously, if it's just a regular run-of-the-mill, official sourcebook, that won't apply.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 12 Mar 2012 19:44:23
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  20:11:35  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-No, the video games aren't canon. I brought them up because, for all intents and purposes, the Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights games have been pretty big hits- decent sales and support over the years, a large enough fanbases, and whatever else- but never had any kind of impact on the setting despite that. If this book is a compilation of how things were first envisioned by Ed Greenwood when he wrote up the world- and I don't know if it is; I'd never heard of this book until now- we know that it isn't going to be canon. Looking at the video games, if it isn't canon, it isn't likely to have much of an impact on the plotlines and stories and everything else going on in the canon setting.

-Obviously, if it's just a regular run-of-the-mill, official sourcebook, that won't apply.

Indeed, probably too early to tell. I went into this thinking it was definitely "Ed's World" and now after reading peoples' responses I'm much more just wondering what it actually will turn out to be.

It might even be fairly generic. He could show us the direction of one or more of his big campaigns. Or more than one, like they did a while back in Dungeon magazine with their adventure paths.

No telling until it actually hits the stands, I guess.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  21:03:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I expect that this will be pure Realmslore, in the vein of the Volo's Guides books. I'm just thinking it won't be canon -- it will be something like the old (and mis-named) PG2 Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms. Something that gives flavor, with no rules and nothing affecting the setting.

I, personally, have high hopes.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000