Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What’s with the Eyes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  08:14:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Below are some of the characters and creatures from books, movies and animated series whose strength, primary or special powers come from their eyes. Is there something that brought about the proliferation (not necessarily meant negatively) of this type of characters? Could it be the myths about Cyclops (the monster, not the X-Man) and/or Medusa?

There’s some folklore in the Philippines (and Malaysia, if memory serves) about a giant with four eyes that could blind anyone who dares look at them---and it arguably predates Greek mythology… Though I doubt it’s the reason for the proliferation I meant above.

Is it simply some coincidence, or random inspiration that made the writers and artists create these characters? Or is there someone or something that started it all?

Aoth Fezim – the main character in The Brotherhood of the Griffon series by Richard Lee Byers. The Spellplague granted him incredible vision and ‘truesight,’ enabling him to see the truth about someone.

Professor Mad-Eye Moody – an Auror in the Harry Potter series whose eye could roll in 360 degrees, thereby allowing him to see everything from all sides.

Kurapika – one of the four main cast in the newly rebooted Hunter x Hunter. He is a member of the Kurota Clan, whose eyes turn red when they feel strong emotions. When he became a Hunter, he was able to use all types of Nen (like D&D’s Eight Schools of Magic) at maximum level. Which was rare in their world, for a Hunter normally could use only one type of Nen at 100%.

Beholder – a monster in the Dungeons & Dragons universe whose eyes could shoot disintegration rays.

Liches – Some of them could cripple targets with a miasma of fear exuding from their eyes.

Vincent (Hei) – one of the main cast in Yu Yu Hakusho (Ghosffighter/ Ghost Files) whose third eye enables him to gather more demonic power that ultimately makes possible the conjuration of a Black Dragon.

Ryner Lute– the main character in The Legend of Legendary Heroes. He possesses the Stigma called Demon Eye, which, when awakened, usually by force, literally destroys everything in its field of vision.

Cyclops – an X-Man who can fire laser beams through his eyes.

Teito Klein– the prince of the Raggs Kingdom in 07 Ghost who inherits the Eye of Mikhael, a powerful sentient artifact embedded inside his right hand which contains their kingdom’s history and which augments his power to a considerable degree.

Tien Shinhan - a minor human character with three eyes in the animated series Dragon Ball.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 29 Mar 2012 16:49:46

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  08:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the eyes are the "windows to the soul," and they're often one of the most memorable/unique things about a person. Which lends to their literary power as a means of metaphorically portraying aspects of a character.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  14:26:50  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well, the eyes are the "windows to the soul," and they're often one of the most memorable/unique things about a person. Which lends to their literary power as a means of metaphorically portraying aspects of a character.

The eyes aren't the windows to the soul. They're the doors.

Don't blink.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  14:45:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Professor Mad-Eye Moody – an Auror in the Harry Potter series whose eyes could roll in 360 degrees, thereby allowing him to see everything from all sides.

Actually, he only had one eye that could do that -- the artificial one he'd made when he lost the real one. And his paranoia is why he added that ability.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  14:46:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

I quite agree.

Besides, some of the described abilities would be really silly coming from the nose or mouth or ear.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  14:54:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Erik beat me to it

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  17:07:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things from the most ancient, pre-historic folklore - the 'evil eye' (the ability to bring misfortune upon someone just by looking at them), and 'The Sight' (the ability to see the unseen, and to see the truth in all things).

Just about everything you mention is built off those two things (or some combination of them). Its not so much the eyes themselves, but rather, and inner ability that manifests through the eyes (because you have to look-at what you are hurting/examining).

The 'evil eye' may have come from primitive man noting how certain predators (snakes, etc) can 'mesmerize' their prey into immobility (seems plausible for a Medusa-scenario, at any rate). 'True Sight' may have just been an ancient (druidic?) way of describing what people today call 'cold reading' and 'powers of observation' (several TV shows use this as a premise for super-detectives these days).

Odin, for example, was granted 'great wisdom', and had true sight. Ergo, it may have just been this super-wisdom that allowed him to see past lies and deception (and interestingly, the 'blinded' aspect of him losing his eye is also repeated in many mythologies: One must lose site of the real-world, before one can peer into the other... very Zen).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2012 17:08:29
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  20:18:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Professor Mad-Eye Moody – an Auror in the Harry Potter series whose eyes could roll in 360 degrees, thereby allowing him to see everything from all sides.

Actually, he only had one eye that could do that -- the artificial one he'd made when he lost the real one. And his paranoia is why he added that ability.

Indeed. I already edited it.

quote:

Besides, some of the described abilities would be really silly coming from the nose or mouth or ear.

Well, the hands are good alternative. For one, liches don't need to exude an aura of fear through their eyes; such aura could easily be coming from their entire body (or rather, bones). Also, one doesn't really need a 'third eye' to amass more demonic power. Aro (from Meyer's Twilight Saga) and Pakunoda (a member of the Genei Ryodan, aka Spider, from Hunter x Hunter) do not use their eyes to cull out the truth from someone, but do so by mere touch. And Havoc (Cyclops's brother) used his hands to shoot laser beams.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Two things from the most ancient, pre-historic folklore - the 'evil eye' (the ability to bring misfortune upon someone just by looking at them), and 'The Sight' (the ability to see the unseen, and to see the truth in all things).

Most likely.

Conversely, the loss of sight is often associated with 'greater vision.' Those who don't see the immediate physical world see the world beyond.

Edited by - Dennis on 11 Mar 2012 20:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  23:51:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Sight is the most powerful sense, so...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  00:25:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Sight is the most powerful sense, so...

Some say it's hearing... Though I don't think my (OP) question has anything to do with sight being the most powerful sense or not. As I indicated above, some who lost their sight could 'see' more clearly than those whose eyes are still good. Divination, far-reaching wisdom, augmented hearing (sounds acting as 'musical pictures' from which the blind draw their understanding of the physical world), druidic powers, and many more.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  02:49:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-You can live a relatively normal life without being able to hear, without being able to smell, without being able to talk (not sure how not being able to 'feel' would be quantified). If you can't hear, there are other means of communicating and interacting with the rest of the world without much problem. If you can't smell, there are other means of interacting with the rest of the world without much problem. If you can't talk, there are other means of communicating and interacting with the rest of the world without much problem. If you can't see, it's extremely difficult to live a relatively normal life without much problem. Other senses compensate to some degree, but losing your sight leaves one with an extreme disability, while losing those other senses leaves one with a mild-to-moderate disability. In plenty of myths, those without physical sight are sometimes gifted with magical sight- how often are those who are deaf, or mute, given magical hearing/speaking abilities? This seems to reinforce the notion.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  03:06:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is an old saying

believe none of what you see and half of what you hear.

funny thing is, that we are heavily to reliant on our eyes, wee look but do not see.

the other night on some channel they were discussing this where they had a lady saying one word visually and virbally saying something else.
played together on the program and watching it they were explaining what you saw or thought you saw was not what happened and that the brain hardwires your other senses to override to match what your eyes saw.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  03:39:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roughly half of the human brain is dedicated towards processing visual sensoria. Most of our cognitive and memory functions are based on "visual" imagery generated within the mind. We spend many months as infants just learning how to program our own brains through sight. We're just hardwired to verify all other sensory information with visual confirmation.

And we have symbolism, metaphor, spirituality, and myths about eyes dating back to the dawn of recorded history and beyond. Horus, Odin, the Norns/Fates, Cyclopes, Sauron, D&D beholders, the list goes on forever. Eyes symbolize perception, lack of eyes symbolizes blindness (to distractions?) and superior perception of other things.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  13:06:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Roughly half of the human brain is dedicated towards processing visual sensoria.

Roughly half of my brain is dedicated towards processing olfactory information....which is why i had such a difficult time in college when my roommate would eat chili, cheerios, or lentils.

*The after-effects of said foods was traumatic

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 23 Mar 2012 13:06:58
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  13:49:39  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Boo..

GO FOR THE EYES BOO.. FOR THE EYES!

Minsc rlz.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  01:15:37  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that has been said, AND to add icing on the cake, there are various Legend of Zelda games (namely many of the 3D types) that have bosses (and occasional monsters) that have one or more eyes as a weakness. The latest release, Skyward Sword, is rife with such.

On a more Realmsian note, let's not forget deities who are missing an eye, like Gruumsh, Talos (who supposedly was just an alias for He Who Never Sleeps), and Labelas Enoreth, at least.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  01:47:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

All that has been said, AND to add icing on the cake, there are various Legend of Zelda games (namely many of the 3D types) that have bosses (and occasional monsters) that have one or more eyes as a weakness. The latest release, Skyward Sword, is rife with such.

Aim at the eyes of Gohma...

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  01:53:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

EXCELLENT

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  04:11:23  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and Morpha, Bongo Bongo, Ganon (Ocarina of Time), Diababa, Fyrus, Morpheel, Armogohma (Twilight Princess), Scaldera, Moldarach, and Tentalus (Skyward Sword).

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  13:30:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daemon primarch Magnus the Red use his single eye to great effect as focus for his formidable psychic powers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2012 :  18:23:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

and Morpha, Bongo Bongo, Ganon (Ocarina of Time), Diababa, Fyrus, Morpheel, Armogohma (Twilight Princess), Scaldera, Moldarach, and Tentalus (Skyward Sword).

Don't know most of those, I only played the first couple of Zelda games. But that was a line from the first Zelda.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  00:13:48  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't know most of those, I only played the first couple of Zelda games. But that was a line from the first Zelda.

Well, I knew that much. I've played every Zelda game to date save for the DS games and The Wind Waker.

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 02 Apr 2012 04:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  03:51:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What's the greatest or deadliest power that's associated with the eyes?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  22:19:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Completely subjective, but in what? In D&D? In fantasy in general?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  22:45:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Darkseid's (DC comics) Omega Beams trumps Cyclop's (Marvel comics) blasts.

On the other hand, Medusa's ability to turn anyone to stone is pretty damn awesome (mythology, D&D version not so much). Ditto for a basilisk & cockatrice.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  00:10:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the context of D&D, a beholder can trump a medusa, possessing petrify among a dozen other gaze powers. Our pre-Gygax mythologies don't really describe anything like beholders, for which legendary Perseus should consider himself fortunate, his mirrored shield tactics wouldn't fare so well against a monster who could suspend him with telekinesis or simply blast him with a glance. We, in turn, are fortunate that beholders weren't named Tzunken-orbs or Eye-graxes or Spectacles or somesuch.

It's interesting that the Princes Shade all have glimmering glowing eyes which appear as various metallic shades related to their personal occupation and station. It's really the only characteristic, aside from their individual choices of weapon and behaviour, which visually sets them apart to an observer.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  01:29:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Completely subjective, but in what? In D&D? In fantasy in general?

In fantasy in general.

I'm nominating Ryner Lute. His Demon Stigma is too destructive and grants him invincibility to almost all forms of attacks.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  01:32:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It's interesting that the Princes Shade all have glimmering glowing eyes which appear as various metallic shades related to their personal occupation and station.

It's a simple outside manifestation of their powers, and not in way the source or outlet of their powers.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  03:19:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the cosmetic appearance of their eyes is of little import, perhaps Telamont picked their eye colours as easily as he chose their birth names, perhaps they each employ minor eye-colouring magics as part of their daily (nightly) grooming. Glowing eyes look sinister, cool, dangerous.

What I meant to suggest as interesting is that this conflicts with the traditional trope of eyes being the windows to the inner soul. Shades have no souls, they traded their souls for dark shadowstuff. Dark shadow things usually do not glow, self-illuminating shades are a bit paradoxical, no? So, aside from producing more visually stimulating eye-candy artwork to appeal to the younglings, what could these glowing eyes really symbolize?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  04:32:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To inspire fear, I suppose. As for Telamont's case, well, it would be too weird for someone who's purely made of shadowsfuff to have 'regular' eyes, wouldn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  04:43:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To inspire fear, I suppose. As for Telamont's case, well, it would be too weird for someone who's purely made of shadowsfuff to have 'regular' eyes, wouldn't it?

No weirder than having someone made of shadow emitting light.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000