Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What’s with the Eyes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  05:10:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think something along these lines were discussed awhile back on the WotC boards (Rich baker, if I recall, was even involved), but it was in regards to the confusion caused by the different artistic depictions of Eladrin (and since Eladrin were already new - or 'reimagined' - these things tended to snowball).

Some were shown with pupils, and others were depicted pupiless (occasionally even 'glowing'). It was decided (by consensus) that they have pupils normally, but when they are channeling magical energies their eyes 'go white', and then as they are about to unleash that magic (they've become fully charged/spell-ready), their eyes glow with a color associated with the type of magic they are using.

IIRC, Rich Baker or some other official or semi-official (freelancer) said that sounded good, and thats what they would go with (since it explained-away the conflicting artwork). It may have even been george or Brian - I forget now, it was so long ago.

Anyhow, my point is, if that works for Eladrin, why not for anyone? I would assume its a 'power level' thing - lower level mages would not be channeling the kind of power that would create this physical side-effect to the caster. Now Karsus, on the other hand - when he cast his epically stupid spell - probably had energy/light in every wavelength pouring out of every orifice... just before he went "BOOM!"

So a mortal is like a some-what empty vessel, and the eyes are like the 'clear part' that we can see through (the "windows to the soul" thing someone mentioned earlier). Like an empty, clear glass jar, you can normally look through it and everything appears normal, but when you fill it with something (colored), you see whats inside instead. It makes sense that mortals would normally be near-empty; a being that is 'filled-up' with energy all the time would be at least a demi-power (which means the difference between mortals and deities isn't nearly as complicated or great as we might assume).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  06:26:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms literature has long described individuals acting as "leaky vessels". Where some tiny fraction of the mighty magical energies are forced out of the eyes, mouth, or other orifices ... or manifested as dancing webs of energy, sparkling arcs or motes, intense auras, unearthly choirs, etc. It's the modern popular Hollywood expectation and, even though lacking any formal game rules in itself (outside of spellfire mechanics), the effect still unavoidably seeps into the setting - especially at climactic moments in FR novels. Magic is (or at least used to be) eldritch and mysterious, potent and fickle.

It doesn't specifically deal with the eyes, although of course a bit of eye flash is the immediate indicator of immense supernatural (or at least superhuman) powers caged and roiling within the weak and fragile human shell.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Apr 2012 06:32:03
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  07:11:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

To inspire fear, I suppose. As for Telamont's case, well, it would be too weird for someone who's purely made of shadowsfuff to have 'regular' eyes, wouldn't it?

No weirder than having someone made of shadow emitting light.

Okay. Not weird, but uncool.

Sysquemalyn retained her normal eyes even after she transformed into a flint monster.

Combustion Man, from Avatar: The Last Airbender, as his name could tell, spits bomb-like fireballs through his eye on his forehead. Each blast is as destructive as ten masters firebending at the same time.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Jul 2012 01:45:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000