Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Contest: Create Forgotten Realmslore!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:47:36  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm, yep!
"Consequently, the Great Lakes are considered to be essentially non-tidal."

But you right, there's no science in the Realms but stuff shud make sense, amiright?

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Super Wizard

Oh, no dude. The Great Lakes due not have tides... well, none of consequence.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html
Did you actually read my post or the contents of your link?

Unstoppably Awesome to the Max
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:48:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue: Menzoberranzan's ruling council 3E in order of rank - Baenre, Barrison Del'Armgo, Faen Tlabbar, Xorlarrin, Mizzrym, Fey Branche, Tuin'Tarl, Duskryn (this would reflect House Agrach Dyrr's removal from the ruling council)

Menzoberranzan's ruling council 4E in order of rank - Baenre, Barrison Del'Armgo, Xorlarrin, Faen Tlabbar, Mizzrym, Fey Branche, Melarn, Vandree

Most canon seems to indicate that house advancement comes only in the form of eliminating houses directly above them in rank. Barrison Del'Armgo did have an unprecedented jump in ranks during its history, which I'd assume is a rare event. Xorlarrin and Faen Tlabbar have switched ranks. House Melarn is a troubling incident considering Hallistra was by all accounts a heretic. Old Yvonnel Baenre utterly destroyed House Oblodra when they strayed from the worship of Lolth, why have they allowed House Melarn to survive? And why would two houses join, I've never heard of such a thing. House Vandree used to be ranked 17th House and is now on the ruling council. They would have had to destroy 9 other families to climb that high.

Granted it's possible that there are ways a house can rise and fall in the city hierarchy, but nothing has really ever detailed the process other than house attacks against rival families. Maybe this will be detailed in the new Menzoberranzan book, but the changing of the ruling council in this drastic of a way never made sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:55:39  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Markustay,

Simple solution(an annoying one too) is Umberlee decided there should be treacherous tides in the ‘new’ Sea of Fallen Stars. These dangerous shifting tides could mark something important to her. And the water flowing wrong could be correct …on an Abeiran map.

I was encouraged to post this tidbit about Mystra.

In the Avatar books Cyric learned Midnights true name. It is possible once she ‘died’ Shar reached for the portfolio only to have him invoke Midnights’ true name. This caused the portfolio to become ‘contested’ and neither Power could use it. And with Midnights’ personality (soul?) magically held by Cyric then maybe Mystrl’s personality is returning. So Shar indirectly prevented a new goddess of magic from emerging.
Shar is infuriated.
Ao is quiet on the issue.
Cyric is chuckling in prison.
And Mystrl is fooling everyone.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 20 Jan 2012 22:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:32:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too amm curious as to how House Melarn (which was from Ched Nasad anyway) ended up on the council- Halisstra was transformed into that spider-thing, and her only living relative Pharaun was killed. So where did the House come from??!! (i'd also ask how in the Frack Vandree got so high, since it was a very minor house in Liriel's story- ie, her mother was a daughter of that House, and wasn't even missed....)

Okay, and on that note, here's MY question concerning 3/4 ed lore changes- why, when all the non-evil, untainted, and/or eilistraee-worshipping drow were reverted back to their original forms, didn't Drizzt do so as well? This STILL has not been explained..... And I'm suddenly VERY curious now about this Eilistraee lore you mentioned- just ONE hint?? PLEASE??!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will surprise exactly no one, but Menzoberranzan is NDA. You'll see!

I will say that Halisstra was hardly the only drow in House Melarn, and afaik, Phauraun was not related to her. (maybe distant cousins?)

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Okay, and on that note, here's MY question concerning 3/4 ed lore changes- why, when all the non-evil, untainted, and/or eilistraee-worshipping drow were reverted back to their original forms, didn't Drizzt do so as well? This STILL has not been explained.....
Let me address this briefly (though Menzo will have more answers): there's more to redeeming the drow than changing the color of their skin. Breaking the curse of Wedonai only transformed some of the drow back in their original forms--AFAIK, drow that were descended from a particular line (a subset of the original cursed drow). Not all drow who were "redeemed" are indeed good, and not all who stayed drow are evil (like Drizzt). This was only the first step in "redeeming" the drow race--breaking the curse that was going to keep them locked into their evil. Now the drow (and redeemed dark elves) are free to seek redemption without the interference of an ancient magic.

I don't particularly like the whole redeemed drow turned back to other elves thing, with its serious racist undertones. ("Hey, how do we make this race of evil black people not evil? Make them less black!") I don't know who came up with this concept, and I'm saddened that Lisa not only got stuck with it but takes all the blame to this day.

I think the way we move on from the event is to assert that redemption has nothing to do with simple appearance, and Eilistraee's victory was symbolic as much as it was arcane: though it cost her everything, the Dancing Maiden spat in Lolth's eye and showed the drow they could be free.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 20 Jan 2012 23:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And think about the new sea trade - going east-to-west, things would move swiftly, but going the other way, you need to either portage (yech!) ships past the Flowdrop (like the Landrise - my own term - permission granted), or find some other (magical?) means of going 'against the flow'.

Actually, I could see "ports" being built astride the Wall, at various points. Ships dock on one side, offload their cargo, pick up cargo from the other side of the Wall, and go back home. Cargo dropped off on one side of the Wall is simply moved to the other side.

And it would be in the best interest of various nations in this vicinity to build and protect such "ports" along the Wall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:01:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phauraun was of House Mizzrym. Q'arlynd Melarn was the brother. I suppose its possible that several of the "lesser" houses were destroyed during the Silence of Lolth and when the city was under siege. I recall a passage or two during those WotSQ books about several house armies being "swept" away during fighting. I guess we'll have to wait and see for Menzo.

Edited by - Eilserus on 20 Jan 2012 23:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:14:54  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Actually, I could see "ports" being built astride the Wall, at various points. Ships dock on one side, offload their cargo, pick up cargo from the other side of the Wall, and go back home. Cargo dropped off on one side of the Wall is simply moved to the other side.

And it would be in the best interest of various nations in this vicinity to build and protect such "ports" along the Wall.

Not just simply the transfer, but also the (right) to charge a fee for the transfer... this is for instance where cities like Amsterdam and Rotterdam in the Netherlands got a large part of their initial richdom... the 'dam' part in the name refers to an actual dam in the waterway where these fees were collected... Guess those Dragonborn with their wooden shoes and windmills now have a source of income as well

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 20 Jan 2012 23:31:07
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But Shar slew Ibrandul during the Time of Troubles, and did get his profile...
I meant that the Time of Troubles DELAYED the transfer of divine power. In the end, it was up to Ao to hand out portfolios and divine power based on what he thought everyone deserved. (The inspiration for "The Apprentice"? I think so!)

The NORMAL way a portfolio transfers is when one god kills another, Highlander style. The ToT gave us some exceptions, but this is not to say that the old rules didn't also hold true in some instances.

Bane and Torm killed each other and neither got the other's portfolio. Torm perished in the service of his cause, so Ao raised him and elevated his power (I believe).

Bane got fired.

Cyric killed Bhaal, got his portfolio.

Midnight killed Myrkul, did not claim his portfolio.

Shar kept her victory a secret, which is her portfolio. Since no one else claimed Ilbrandul's power, she took it for her own (ostensibly with Ao's blessing).

Cyric killed Leira (allegedly), got her portfolio.

Cyric critically wounded Mask, got part of his portfolio.

Tyr killed Helm, (the Eye of Justice believes) Tyr got Helm's portfolio.

Tyr perished thereafter, (again the EoJ believes) his power (and Helm's) transferred to Torm

It all lines up fairly well, suggesting that maybe Cyric or Shar has Mystra's portfolio--or maybe she isn't dead at all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT, read my initial post in this thread if you haven't already.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:32:48  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A literal sea-port would be awesome!

Maybe something akin to what can be seen in the movie "Water World"? Just on a larger scale...
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:35:03  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterworld sea port anchored to the coral reef. Pirate haven. :)

Yeah, not many people have the enthusiasm for the dark elves like I do. It's all good. My second love is all things dwarven. Probably because I'm short and always grumbling. :)

How do we fix duergar? Laduguer and Deep Duerra were slain by Moradin and company. And while it's kind of cool that some of them worship devils from the Nine Hells, why don't they have their racial pantheon like everyone else? The only fix I could see for that would be Deep Duerra's son (forget his name, but he rules Underspires) taking the mantle of his grandfather Laduguer and ascending to divine status.
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:40:46  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh thanx, Mark, I hope that Eric uses this!

Hey, can we do the same thing with Old Abeir? Like:
"Lo, in the elder days before the days of auld, their was'est a mega-fight betwixt the Gods. But they were fightin'real bad, so Ao gave everyone their own planet!"

It's really way easy to make lore continuous if you go back to the begining and rewrite it!

But yeah, so Eric, what are the rules about the judging and stuff? Like, when will the judges way in? Or do I get an official win? Or does Marks fix work for the judges and you or what?

quote:

@Super Wizard - see my edited post above, and also Ayrik's helpful post.

As for the dwarves....

[i]"In the mists of the before-time...
Hows that? Use the lore t fix the lore.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:42:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul Chembryl becoming an exarch. Exarch is the 4E term for demi-power right? The 2E boxed set Zhentil Keep references baneliches as almost being a demipower to themselves. Could he just have been turned into one of those after his "death"?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:47:37  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

How do we fix duergar? Laduguer and Deep Duerra were slain by Moradin and company. And while it's kind of cool that some of them worship devils from the Nine Hells, why don't they have their racial pantheon like everyone else? The only fix I could see for that would be Deep Duerra's son (forget his name, but he rules Underspires) taking the mantle of his grandfather Laduguer and ascending to divine status.

The Duergar have their own Pantheon... it just happens to be the same as the one for the other dwarves... Laduguer is/was one of the original deities in the Morndinsamman. Only after set-backs in Old Shanatar and the abduction of the Shield Dwarf clan Duergar by the Mindflayers and their subsequent transformation into the subrace Duergar does Laduguer's faith all but disappear from veneration by the Shield and Gold dwarves.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:54:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always under the impression that duergar didn't worship any of the Morndinsamman and only venerated Laduguer and Deep Duerra, viewing the rest of the pantheon and the other dwarven subraces as weak, betrayers who left them to die at the hands of the mindflayers.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  23:59:55  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vast majority of the duergar do venerate only Laduguer and Deep Duerra - certainly openly. But exceptions do exist, IIRC there was a Duergar worshipper of Moradin in a 3e book/article. Note that not all of the 'transformed' Duergar became the new subrace, some went back to Shanatar and eventually merged into other clans. It is not completely without reason to assume that the 'replacement' kingdom for Barakuir (Clan Duergar) was co-founded by the few returning Duergar. This would also explain some of the psionic dwarves, some of these can trace their lineage back to a Duergar ancestor.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Super Wizard

But yeah, so Eric , what are the rules about the judging and stuff? Like, when will the judges way in? Or do I get an official win? Or does Marks fix work for the judges and you or what?
Hold your steel, brightblade. Yon judges need some time to consider.

I sculpted a reply to offer, but MT and the others have hit all the points I would have made, and often better than I would have:

Topic: DWARVEN WIZARDS?
quote:

Alright, going for the Kuh...Kuh...Kuh....COMBO BREAKER!!
In 2e, Dwarves were unable to cast Arcane Spells....
in 3e, they can!
Should I post my character synopsis to appear in your upcoming novel here, or send it via email?
/victorydance
I see someone’s confident.

First of all, this thread is about tying together 3e and 4e so that 5e can move forward in a spirit of unity and One Realms.

Second, are you sure dwarves COULDN’T use arcane magic before 3e, or had we just never seen them do it? I was kind of under the impression that dwarves didn’t often use arcane magic, and those who could do it kept sequestered in their caves where no one would find them.
And of course, we have Bruenor making a magical hammer in RAS’s Icewind Dale series (1e). (That’s a whole can of worms of its own, I imagine!)

Dwarves favored mostly rune-based magic—heck, even the dwarves in Middle Earth used magic. It’s not like there’s no history of dwarves using magic. Most of the dwarf wizards we saw in 3e were loners, exiles, or eccentrics. See MT's narrative about the cultural bias against arcane magic.

Also (as previously mentioned) the Thunder Blessing might have instilled dwarves with the potential to work arcane magic. After all, that IS the first generation of dwarves we canonically know to use arcane magic. This was a missed opportunity for 3e, but there's no reason we can't decide that this was one of the causes in hindsight. Dwarves got the Thunder Blessing; Dwarves of that generation started using magic. Coincidence? I think not.

Next?

Cheers

P.S. Hold onto that character anyway, though. You’ll see what I mean.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Topic: HOW SHADE SURVIVED THE SPELLPLAGUE
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_
quote:
Originally posted by DennisHow did Shade manage to keep afloat despite the destruction of both the Weave and the Shadow Weave during the Spellplague?
Maybe Shar knowing what was about to come instructed the shades on how to change their Mythallar so it gets its energy from raw magic instead of the (shadow)weave.
She herself didn't know the Spellplague would also destroy her new toy (the Shadow Weave).

I think there’s a lot to be said for the concept of Shar *shielding* Shade from the ravages of the Spellplague. Even if she didn’t realize the full extent of the consequences of Mystra’s demise (i.e. the destruction of the Shadow Weave also, she’d have to be a serious idiot not to think that serious havoc was about to go down. And we know Shar is many things, but an idiot is not one of them.
The way I visualize it, she “caught” Shade in a very similar fashion to the way Mystra “caught” some of the enclaves during the Fall of Netheril. She kept it afloat using her own power (or even moved it to the plane of Shadow/Shadowfell) for a time, until the arcanists there (who relearned magic really fast) could do it themselves. It’s quite possible that Rivalen used this as an opportunity to forcibly penetrate Shar (ahem!) in order to access her power directly, rather than through Mystra’s Weave (which was no longer an option); he then came out of the bargain with far greater power, and is now basically a demigod. This might have been his plan all along.
This presents an interesting story opportunity where Rivalen has now grown in power to rival Telamont, or even eclipsed him. Are they now enemies? Do they continue to work together, but sleep with one eye open? Perhaps they are coming to a confrontation for the hearts and souls of the Netherese people? (That’s how I do it in my game.)
But since Paul might be discussing this sort of thing in his forthcoming Cycle of Night series, I’ll stop there.

Topic: WHAT ABOUT NEGARATH?
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll start with something easy-ish... Hehe.
How would you elaborate on the historical development of Negarath in the period between 1376 DR and 1479 DR, given the re-establishment of the Shade Empire? You've said previously that the Shades haven't yet rediscovered it -- and that you have a very specific reason for leaving it hidden away from the returned Shadovar Netherese.
Can you provide a possible background [it doesn't necessarily have to be your canonical explanation {since it might be NDA}, but I'd be curious for any alternate takes on this that you may have] for this history gap in the century between what we last saw of Negarath in 3e, and what little we know about the fallen enclave in 4e?

Ooh, you’re a tricksy one, Sage. You picked a subject near and dear to my heart, as it comes out of one of my novels (specifically, Depths of Madness). No, the Shades have not discovered Negarath in the century since it appeared in my novel. They have, however, stumbled across a vital clue—they know it exists and someone knows about it, and they are actively seeking to obtain that information. Anything more than that, however, is future plans that I have for my novels. Rest assured, your questions WILL be answered.
Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:19:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

MT, read my initial post in this thread if you haven't already.
I completely misunderstood the purpose of the thread.

My bad - I went back and erased everything. Sorry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

MT, read my initial post in this thread if you haven't already. [:)
I completely misunderstood the purpose of the thread.
My bad - I went back and erased everything. Sorry.
Not your dwarf story, I hope? That was solid gold.

The purpose of this thread is to find lore reconciliation techniques, just like what you have been posting! You shouldn't delete anything.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 21 Jan 2012 00:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:24:42  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First of all, this thread is about tying together 3e and 4e so that 5e can move forward in a spirit of unity and One Realms.

Oh sure bro, but there is the whole contest thing

But cool, Thunder Blessing!

I will wait for the judges but that idea is ril good! I think

YOU

are the ril winner, Eric!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:31:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright, going for the

Kuh...Kuh...Kuh....COMBO BREAKER!!

In 2e, Dwarves were unable to cast Arcane Spells....
in 3e, they can!

Should I post my character synopsis to appear in your upcoming novel here, or send it via email?

/victorydance

There is already sort of a canon fix for this, in 2e, since Steven Schend put into The Lost Level adventure an option that would allow anyone to become a dwarf and retain their skills. As I recall, that was one of the weirder ways in 2e to allow for dwarven wizards...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:33:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is their a canon refr. somewhere that says that the SoFS has tides?
Multiple references in the Sea of Fallen Stars source.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:35:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Topic: WHAT ABOUT NEGARATH?
quote:

I'll start with something easy-ish... Hehe.
How would you elaborate on the historical development of Negarath in the period between 1376 DR and 1479 DR, given the re-establishment of the Shade Empire? You've said previously that the Shades haven't yet rediscovered it -- and that you have a very specific reason for leaving it hidden away from the returned Shadovar Netherese.
Can you provide a possible background [it doesn't necessarily have to be your canonical explanation {since it might be NDA}, but I'd be curious for any alternate takes on this that you may have] for this history gap in the century between what we last saw of Negarath in 3e, and what little we know about the fallen enclave in 4e?

Ooh, you’re a tricksy one, Sage. You picked a subject near and dear to my heart, as it comes out of one of my novels (specifically, Depths of Madness). No, the Shades have not discovered Negarath in the century since it appeared in my novel. They have, however, stumbled across a vital clue—they know it exists and someone knows about it, and they are actively seeking to obtain that information. Anything more than that, however, is future plans that I have for my novels. Rest assured, your questions WILL be answered.
Cheers
Could you provide an alternate, theory, at least? Perhaps a new speculation that runs differently to your own canon explanation?

Or, maybe I should just present my own take.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:51:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars also describes the aquatic Serôs in some depth <groan> - they worship Mystra as She of the Wild Tides, they also measure the passage of time in tides (two tides per day). There are numerous special sites (surface and underwater) wherein winds, currents, and tides form whirlpools which serve as gates.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  01:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could you provide an alternate, theory, at least? Perhaps a new speculation that runs differently to your own canon explanation?
Are you asking why the Netherese haven't discovered it? Or what's been going on there?

I'll think about how to phrase it.

In the meantime, yes, give us your take!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  01:36:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Are you asking why the Netherese haven't discovered it? Or what's been going on there?
Either, or both, really. I'll leave that up to you.
quote:
In the meantime, yes, give us your take!
Hmmm.

I accept your challenge, friend Erik.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  04:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

YOU

As I said before, I've long felt that the Thunder Blessing was ideal for explaining dwarven magic use, and found it regrettable that WotC didn't use it for such.

In my mind, this one was not a stumper. With just a small expansion of canon material, we have a good fix.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  06:50:54  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oi! Expand the canon, scrag off the sturboard bough!

lol Cool!

quote:

quote:

quote:

YOU

As I said before, I've long felt that the Thunder Blessing was ideal for explaining dwarven magic use, and found it regrettable that WotC didn't use it for such.

In my mind, this one was not a stumper. With just a small expansion of canon material, we have a good fix.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000