Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Contest: Create Forgotten Realmslore!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:33:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would ditch the "All elves share a common ancestor" since it's unclear if they arose through evolution or derived magically or were created beings.

Instead, say that "some believe that elves all shared a common origin realm (Faerie or Arvandor)", something like that. Less trouble.

Also, I have a deep dislike of "Fey Step" and glowy eyes junk... neither have a classic "feel" of Tolkien elves or even mythical Alfar, so those things need to be ditched or toned down in 5E.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 20 Jan 2012 17:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:39:21  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can a deity like Mystra be destroyed at all?
We know from other sources that the existence of a deity depends on the number of worshippers.
So even if Mystra/Midnight was somehow "killed" a new deity should pop in at once, just because of the sheer number of worshippers that exist.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:41:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

I would ditch the "All elves share a common ancestor" since it's unclear if they arose through evolution or derived magically or were created beings.

Instead, say that "some believe that elves all shared a common origin realm (Faerie or Arvandor)", something like that. Less trouble.

Also, I have a deep dislike of "Fey Step" and glowy eyes junk... neither have a classic "feel" of Tolkien elves or even mythical Alfar, so those things need to be ditched or toned down in 5E.

While I'm not sure what they'll incorporate into the next iteration of D&D (mechanic wise), I believe the common (ie. popular belief) is that Elves and Eladrin do not evolve. There was a scribe named Lord Karsus that did an amazoing job on a fan project called Elves of Faerûn that drew heavily from existing lore that explained much of elven origins. When I get the time, I'll look for it and post a link.

Edited by - Diffan on 20 Jan 2012 17:44:03
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Ahem, IF YOU ARE PLAYING IN MY 4e FR GAME, LOOK AWAY NOW!!!
(...)
Tangentially, I will say that I am currently running a 4e FR game wherein one of the long term goals is indeed the return of Eilistraee. Though she doesn't know it, one of the PCs (a half-sun-elf/half-drow, mechanically an elf) is actually the reincarnation of Eilistraee. One of the main antagonists in the campaign is a drow who houses the spirit of Vhaeraun--he has embraced his heritage/power and seeks to bring his *spiritual sister* into the fold as well. Together, he thinks, they will gather enough power to avenge themselves on their wretched mother, Lolth--ostensibly to take her place. But will the PC (an invoker/wizard sworn to Corellon, with whom she has a close, personal, almost father/daughter relationship) side with her mad "brother" (whose goals sort of coincide with Corellon's, actually--in bringing Lolth down at least), or find a different path?
Cheers

Ok, I could live with that (hope that it HAS something to do with what is planned in NDA), so one down three to go :)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Sorry Erik, This is how I see you in my head whilst explaining this contest.
At least Azzy looks majestic in that picture!
Haven't I repeatedly disclosed my Lawful Evil tendencies? No?

Wait, I'm getting another call...

[incoming sending to Erik from his attorney]

[return sending in 25 words or less] Oh, sorry, Paul--I gotcha. Hang on.

[/sending]

Ahem, I mean--me, lawful evil? Bah, I don't know what you're talking about.

Now if you'll just prick your finger with this quill . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:12:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First one!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Canon issue: the Sea of Fallen Stars. The FRCG tells us water levels dropped an average of 50 feet. It also tells us that part of the Sharksbane Wall is above water, and part of Myth Nantar is now above water.
But, from the Sea of Fallen Stars sourcebook, we know that there's at least 300 feet of open water above Myth Nantar. And we can guesstimate approximately 80 feet of open water above the Sharksbane Wall.
So how does a 50' drop equal a drop of +300' in one area, and roughly a 100' drop in another?
The key word here is *average.* Coupled with the seismic activity ushered in by the Spellplague, sections of Myth Nantar rose on what became small mountains partly under, partly over the sea. Very little of the city is actually exposed--the majority still rests comfortably beneath the waves, some 50-150 feet down. I think of it as similar to Athens with the water level risen to just below the big hills that feature the Acropolis and some of the higher temples.

In the long decades since the change, the people of the mostly submerged city have adjusted, and Myth Nantar has even seen an increase in worship of Sehanine Moonbow (yes, I said it*), who conduct their rituals atop the wind-swept peaks above the waves.

The Sharksbane Wall underwent similar seismic changes, and now varies from substantially beneath the water to standing a little over its surface. Sailors have to take particular care around the wall, and not just to avoid the above-water section--long stretches of the wall lie only just below the surface, and many a ship has ground to a halt on the wall's unforgiving stone.

EDIT: Corollary to the same subject:

quote:
Originally posted by arry

3. The partial draining of the Sea of Fallen Stars which didn’t either; flood enormous parts of the Underdark, or cause drastic climatic change in surrounding lands particularly Cormyr, Sembia and the Dalelands.
Well, it DID cause tremendous flooding in the Underdark, establishing a vast underground sea (apologies, I'm away from my books at the moment).

We don't know the exact scope of the sea draining--I would suggest that it wasn't nearly as cataclysmic as we might at first believe. Remember, we're looking at the change over a hundred years in the space of a few sentences. The seismic activity I mentioned above (triggered by the Spellplague) could very well have opened up small or substantial cracks in the floor of the Sea of Fallen Stars, allowing the water to trickle down, rather than gush. Remember, it's got a LONG way to go (I believe several miles) before it gets to the caverns of the Underdark), and it would have to be some pretty serious cracking that goes on in order to carve out passages for the water to drain down.

I picture the initial Spellplague-related seismic activity having started the cracks, and the sheer weight of the sea bore down, gradually eroding the protective earth, until it could seep down into the Underdark, where it continues to fall/drizzle down, forming a great undersea lake over the course of a century. We're told in the lore that the Sea of Fallen Stars has more or less stabilized, so maybe the water level has reached the same level as the cracks, so more water isn't flowing down. It's like the overflow hole in your sink: once the water drops below it, it stops leaking.

But let's speculate: Even if it WAS more cataclysmic, and the Spellplague tore a straight-up GOUGE in the floor of the Sea of Fallen Stars all the way down to the Underdark, then I imagine what kept it from flooding MORE (i.e. the entire Sea of Fallen Stars draining into the Underdark or at least enough to fill it up) was the same seismic activity I discussed above (sealing off the caverns even as they were being filled up) and/or a concerted effort by the denizens of the Underdark to seal off their caverns/living spaces with magic or other means in order to ensure their survival. Basically, desperate attempts to containing the vast cave-in.

One explanation is more realistic (the gradual seepage) while one is more fantastic (the epic struggle to fix a major disaster).

As for drastic climate change (or lack thereof), well, I'm not a climatologist, so I can't really give you a scientific explanation. This IS a fantasy world, though, so I think that certain things don't require too much fantasy. Maybe a long ago blessing from a forgotten god does the trick, or maybe the various gods of the Dales/Cormyr shield their flock from the worst of the changing climate. Or maybe the climate HAS changed in your game, and agriculture has shifted to accomodate it. (I personally prefer seeing Sembia become a barren place less welcoming to crops, where Chauntea's influence wanes; IMO it fits with their oppression by the Shades.)

I find that bringing too much scientific inquiry into a fantasy setting just opens a huge can of worms that binds us all up into a downward spiral of logic and doesn't leave much space to enjoy the setting.

Cheers

One related point, though, is the failure to mention any consequences of the Sharksbane Wall being above water. As I recall, the FRCG says 10 feet of it is above water. That means that, save for a 2-mile gap, one very large portion of the Sea of Fallen Stars is entirely cut off from the rest. This would have very notable effects on shipping, and the effects of currents being cut off could dramatically impact local weather conditions. I'd imagine that the populations of animals and sentients now cut off from the rest of the sea would also be impacted.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:43:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
One related point, though, is the failure to mention any consequences of the Sharksbane Wall being above water. As I recall, the FRCG says 10 feet of it is above water. That means that, save for a 2-mile gap, one very large portion of the Sea of Fallen Stars is entirely cut off from the rest. This would have very notable effects on shipping, and the effects of currents being cut off could dramatically impact local weather conditions. I'd imagine that the populations of animals and sentients now cut off from the rest of the sea would also be impacted.

WotC is still negotiaing with the Dutch government on whether they can use the term 'polder'... once an agreement is made, the remaining gap will be filled, the water will be pumped out (those warforged need to work somewhere) and there will be new land for the new FR populations... Imagine Dragonborn with wooden shoes and lots of windmills
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good point. I wonder if the varying height of the wall still accomodates (altered) shipping routes. For instance, if parts of the wall rose but not all of them did, that would just make some areas very treacherous, not cut off entirely?

It's also possible that enterprising shippers have destroyed parts of the wall that blocked their routes, possibly earning the wrath of the inhabitants of Seros?

This is actually a really interesting story about the unforeseen consequences of building a wall of this sort.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Quite right. I wasn't suggesting that "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED, DEAL!" but more of what you're proposing.

I'm still in the "elves arose out of Corellon's tears" camp, but that gets into the whole fantasy creationism vs. evolution debate (see what I said about bringing science into it). The facts that we have from canon are that elves are travelers from another world--i.e. not native to the Realms. My explanation simply asserts that that world is Faerie/the Feywild.

quote:
I can't comment on the actual mechanics of 5e, as I have no idea what they might be. But I suspect that these things will be toned down, if only to bring elves more in line with what they were like in the past. (You note how my favorite elf *doesn't* have fey step and her eyes have an alternate explanation? That's not accidental.)

[quote]While I'm not sure what they'll incorporate into the next iteration of D&D (mechanic wise), I believe the common (ie. popular belief) is that Elves and Eladrin do not evolve. There was a scribe named Lord Karsus that did an amazoing job on a fan project called Elves of Faerûn that drew heavily from existing lore that explained much of elven origins. When I get the time, I'll look for it and post a link.
Oh, I absolutely know Lord Karsus. Interesting that he came to the conclusion that elves and eladrin don't evolve--what is that based on? I know the process is much slower for them (what with the extremely long lifespans), but I can't see any justification for them NOT evolving.

All living things change. That's the way of life.

Anyway, as I said to Therise, my "origin story" of elves doesn't get into the real specifics. The only things it assumes are that elves came from somewhere else (this is canonically established) and that elves and eladrin are related (this is supposition and I think pretty well founded in the lore).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  18:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

WotC is still negotiaing with the Dutch government on whether they can use the term 'polder'... once an agreement is made, the remaining gap will be filled, the water will be pumped out (those warforged need to work somewhere) and there will be new land for the new FR populations... Imagine Dragonborn with wooden shoes and lots of windmills
I wonder if you haven't just hit on the perfect origin for Dragonborn.

ANYWAY! I'm compiling more answers--keep those questions/canon thoughts coming!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Topic: MYSTRA = DEAD? NO WAY!

quote:
Originally posted by Brix
We know from other sources that the existence of a deity depends on the number of worshippers.
So even if Mystra/Midnight was somehow "killed" a new deity should pop in at once, just because of the sheer number of worshippers that exist.
Good point, which I can answer in a few ways:

1) Canonically it has been established that when one deity kills another, the victor takes the loser’s portfolio. Cyric took Leira’s power, Shar took Ilbrandul’s power, etc., etc. So maybe Cyric is holding onto Mystra’s power? (Or maybe somehow Shar got it?) That would prevent Mystra from reincarnating, since she has no power to take.

2) Immediately after Mystra died, the Spellplague happened, driving most of Mystra’s worshippers (spellcasters) mad or dead. There are still Mystran cults that persist to this day (see the novel Mistshore), but they have as-yet been unsuccessful in reviving their deity, which makes sense. A thousand people chanting to a deity named Cthulhu doesn’t make it so. (I mean, not in this edition at least!) Also see #1—all the remaining worshippers of Mystra might be unknowingly paying homage to Cyric or Shar.

3) How do you know Mystra was destroyed at all? Maybe she’s only in hiding? Etc.

That’s it for speculation. The rest of this goes under NDA. See Ed’s novels!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 20 Jan 2012 19:08:05
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:18:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good point. I wonder if the varying height of the wall still accomodates (altered) shipping routes. For instance, if parts of the wall rose but not all of them did, that would just make some areas very treacherous, not cut off entirely?

It's also possible that enterprising shippers have destroyed parts of the wall that blocked their routes, possibly earning the wrath of the inhabitants of Seros?

This is actually a really interesting story about the unforeseen consequences of building a wall of this sort.

Cheers

I always imagined that the mythal in Myth Nantar would keep water in if for some unknown reason the city had to surface. So in the Sea of Fallen Stars is a seawater pimple. Well on my map anyways. And it is possible parts of the Sharksbane wall collapsed do to seismic events.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:38:11  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
1) Canonically it has been established that when one deity kills another, the victor takes the loser’s portfolio. Cyric took Leira’s power, Shar took Ilbrandul’s power, etc., etc. So maybe Cyric is holding onto Mystra’s power? (Or maybe somehow Shar got it?) That would prevent Mystra from reincarnating, since she has no power to take.

Somehow I always thought that Mystra is outside of these pattern, since she was not only described as the seneshal of magic, but as the embodiement of magic. But ok.

quote:
2) Immediately after Mystra died, the Spellplague happened, driving most of Mystra’s worshippers (spellcasters) mad or dead. There are still Mystran cults that persist to this day (see the novel Mistshore), but they have as-yet been unsuccessful in reviving their deity, which makes sense. A thousand people chanting to a deity named Cthulhu doesn’t make it so. (I mean, not in this edition at least!) Also see #1—all the remaining worshippers of Mystra might be unknowingly paying homage to Cyric or Shar.

I was also thinking of a cult/inquisitors that blamed Mystra for bringing the spellplague upon the Realms.

[quote]Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
3) How do you know Mystra was destroyed at all? Maybe she’s only in hiding? Etc.

That’s it for speculation. The rest of this goes under NDA. See Ed’s novels!

Cheers

NDA sounds good for me know ;)
Has anyone details on this RPGA adventure, where Mystra is nurished by people of Candlekeep (the real one, not the website)?

Another idea I had: During the spellplague, it was described that the Weave collapsed. It could be possible that the energy flocculated into something like Pools of Radiances or Weavestones. Thingies that could power magic items or spells. Just an Idea ;)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:54:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Except when Helm killed Mystra.

Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:56:36  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, going for the

Kuh...Kuh...Kuh....COMBO BREAKER!!

In 2e, Dwarves were unable to cast Arcane Spells....
in 3e, they can!

Should I post my character synopsis to appear in your upcoming novel here, or send it via email?

/victorydance

Unstoppably Awesome to the Max
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:57:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shattered avatar of Mystra sequestered within the halls of Candlekeep? Encapsulated within a warbly semiphemeral toporgic sphere of procrastinastic SageTime?

Better place that little Mystra under guard, before one of our own scribes manages to throttle her.
Better keep her away from Wooly's apartments, because I think Mystra wouldn't get along very fabulously with the shattered avatar of Xvim-Bane that Wooly's been hiding.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Jan 2012 20:00:03
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  19:58:55  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My offering for the "Halruaa Dilemma" (taken from my own campaign before we decided to switch to Golarion). This is the basic overview of how I handled it (because dammit, I like Halruaa lol).

Harluaa was never actually destroyed.

In my campaign, Leira never "died", she was severely weakened during the ToT and went into hiding. One of her more devout worshippers (an expatriate Halruaan illusionist named Sijarus, now living on Nimbral) would visit her "corpse" often on the Astral Plane (visual inspiration coming from the commune-with-Myrkul scene from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer).

When the Spellplague hit, Halruaa was afflicted by many magical calamities, but not nearly as severe as the rest of Faerun believed. As it occured, Sijarus managed to blanket Halruaa in a massive illusion, making it appear as though it had been wiped from the face of Faerun. How Sijarus accomplished this, no one really knows. Some believe it was something he learned among the Nimbrali, others that somehow his faith over-powered the destabilized magical strands about him...in the end, the fact that Halruaa was safe was all that mattered.

Not only was it safe, but hidden away. The illusion presented a "real" facade. Those that visited could see, hear, and feel the devastation that Halruaa's "destruction" had left behind, but it wasn't REAL real.

The illusion remained for many years after the Spellplague (but faded slowly, revealing to the world that Halruaa had survived, with most believing the illusion a result of the Spellplague), allowing time to rebuild and ensure magick was once again reliable.

A resurgence in the worship of Leira also occurred, which restored her divinity and a return to Faerun's pantheon, as well as taking the portfolios of Deception and Illusion from *Cyric.

Sijarus disappeared shortly after he wrought his great illusion and has not reappeared.

*Cyric was obliterated shortly after the Spellplague. Velsharoon had not died in the Spellplague, but was consumed by the Spirit Eater of Myrkul (NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer), which then led to Myrkul's return through his creation, now as a god of undeath. Myrkul reformed his past partnership with Bane, and together they destroyed Cyric (with the possible use of his divine essence to resurrect Bhaal by siphoning that essence into a willing Bhaalspawn).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, Helm couldn't absorb another Mystra's portfolio, because she didn't technically have it at the time. Ao was holding it in trust, and at the end of the Godswar it went to Midnight (for better or worse).

And the Time of Troubles violated all the rules--duh!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Having it be a long, treacherous 'reef' is far more interesting then a wall with a hole in it. It would also be more 'natural'. Parts of it being both under and over the surface is the way to go, IMHO.

Could you imagine being near that hole when the tides were shifting? Thats like building a canal without locks - you'd create a very treacherous situation where ships would get 'sucked' in one direction, and then later, in the other. Depending on the tidal forces involved, you could even have a waterfall-like effect during part of the day (when the deeper sea on one side runs off into the other). On the other hand, a series of broken pieces of wall (with the waterfall effect) could be almost ethereal in its beauty - imagine such a site at sunset, with hundreds of miles of 'water walls'.
Gorgeous and deadly. I like it!

quote:
Once again, they don't need to change anything - all it it needs is some sprucing up. take the (perceived) bad points and turn them into positives.
Exactly my thinking.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:12:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, this mention of NWN2 content spurs an interesting question concerning territories of legal copyright. The Open Gaming License works both ways ... Wizbro has a great deal of freedom in adopting "canon" details created by third parties.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nod of support for putting some disparities down to interpretation/reportage/presentation/lenses. A few past lore fixes have been a bit overliteral.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:14:29  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if NWN2 is off-limits to canon due to copyright cloudiness, then Myrkul returned when Velsharoon donned the Crown of Horns and was subsumed that way.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:33:45  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sea of Fallen Stars has tides?! How does that work?

quote:

quote:

Having it be a long, treacherous 'reef' is far more interesting then a wall with a hole in it. It would also be more 'natural'. Parts of it being both under and over the surface is the way to go, IMHO.

Could you imagine being near that hole when the tides were shifting? Thats like building a canal without locks - you'd create a very treacherous situation where ships would get 'sucked' in one direction, and then later, in the other. Depending on the tidal forces involved, you could even have a waterfall-like effect during part of the day (when the deeper sea on one side runs off into the other). On the other hand, a series of broken pieces of wall (with the waterfall effect) could be almost ethereal in its beauty - imagine such a site at sunset, with hundreds of miles of 'water walls'.
Gorgeous and deadly. I like it!

quote:
Once again, they don't need to change anything - all it it needs is some sprucing up. take the (perceived) bad points and turn them into positives.
Exactly my thinking.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:39:06  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Mystra stored her back-up in a Pooh-Bear... And that she didn't die at all?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:03:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, Helm couldn't absorb another Mystra's portfolio, because she didn't technically have it at the time. Ao was holding it in trust, and at the end of the Godswar it went to Midnight (for better or worse).

And the Time of Troubles violated all the rules--duh!

Cheers

But Shar slew Ibrandul during the Time of Troubles, and did get his profile...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're venturing too far into the Mystra discussion. It's interesting (VERY interesting), but as I said before, "Ed is on this." It's under NDA, and I don't want to say anything more about it.

Let's go back to questions for me to resolve (with everyone's help, of course!).

And no one despair about the prize--even if you don't stump me, all is not lost. (Hint hint!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:16:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Super Wizard

Alright, going for the

Kuh...Kuh...Kuh....COMBO BREAKER!!

In 2e, Dwarves were unable to cast Arcane Spells....
in 3e, they can!

Should I post my character synopsis to appear in your upcoming novel here, or send it via email?

/victorydance

This was always an issue with me also. I'm not sure what the basis was for allowing dwarves the ability to cast arcane spells. Was it simply because they were famed for making magical arms and armor? Priests could easily be given the ability to do so with a few added spells. I wish they would have just slanted dwarves toward elemental magic, fire, earth etc but kept priest as their only casting class.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:22:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the Sea of Fallen Stars is more akin to the Mediterranean than the Great Lakes. The Mediterranean most certainly does have many currents and tides. The Great Lakes also have tides, although they are less pronounced. Tidal shifts displace water volume, so it's not just a matter of surface area but also of depth; the Great Lakes are just not very deep. The Sea of Fallen Stars is said to be quite deep.

Besides, the physics of Toril and Selûne have never quite meshed with ours anyhow; the dimensions are simply wrong, our mathematical models for gravitation and orbital mechanics simply do not work in Realmspace. It's a fantastic world where the very stars in the sky are painted on the inside of a crystal sphere - I have little difficulty accepting that, in the Realms, tides can exist in places where our rules of physics say they cannot.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:39:13  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no dude. The Great Lakes due not have tides... well, none of consequence.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html

Is their a canon refr. somewhere that says that the SoFS has tides?

Oh wear does that map of the North American and Faerun appear, like what book?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Super Wizard

The Sea of Fallen Stars has tides?! How does that work?
Why wouldn't it? Its roughly the size of The Great Lakes, and they have tides. Not very large ones, though.

I am no expert, but my assumption would be every body of water - no matter how small - would have them, BUT, the difference would become harder and harder to discern the smaller the amount of water we are discussing. the larger the body, the greater the difference and the easier to discern (measure).

So even a glass of water should have tides - good luck trying to measure that.

Also, I have a theory about Toril's moon(s), which means Faerun's tidal forces could be far more powerful then our own (but thats just a theory, mind you).

Once again, this is from a H.S. science class level of understanding of how these things work - I am far from being any sort of expert. I did look-up the fact about The Great Lakes tides, though, before posting.

Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:43:11  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Eric!

Do the judges have to decide whether or not I stumper you unimonously, or like 2/3, or like, 2/3 with Ed to over-rule, or what?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000