Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Contest: Create Forgotten Realmslore!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  07:37:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Topic: HOW SHADE SURVIVED THE SPELLPLAGUE
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_
quote:
Originally posted by DennisHow did Shade manage to keep afloat despite the destruction of both the Weave and the Shadow Weave during the Spellplague?
Maybe Shar knowing what was about to come instructed the shades on how to change their Mythallar so it gets its energy from raw magic instead of the (shadow)weave.
She herself didn't know the Spellplague would also destroy her new toy (the Shadow Weave).

I think there’s a lot to be said for the concept of Shar *shielding* Shade from the ravages of the Spellplague. Even if she didn’t realize the full extent of the consequences of Mystra’s demise (i.e. the destruction of the Shadow Weave also, she’d have to be a serious idiot not to think that serious havoc was about to go down. And we know Shar is many things, but an idiot is not one of them.
The way I visualize it, she “caught” Shade in a very similar fashion to the way Mystra “caught” some of the enclaves during the Fall of Netheril. She kept it afloat using her own power (or even moved it to the plane of Shadow/Shadowfell) for a time, until the arcanists there (who relearned magic really fast) could do it themselves. It’s quite possible that Rivalen used this as an opportunity to forcibly penetrate Shar (ahem!) in order to access her power directly, rather than through Mystra’s Weave (which was no longer an option); he then came out of the bargain with far greater power, and is now basically a demigod. This might have been his plan all along.
This presents an interesting story opportunity where Rivalen has now grown in power to rival Telamont, or even eclipsed him. Are they now enemies? Do they continue to work together, but sleep with one eye open? Perhaps they are coming to a confrontation for the hearts and souls of the Netherese people? (That’s how I do it in my game.)
But since Paul might be discussing this sort of thing in his forthcoming Cycle of Night series, I’ll stop there.

Interesting. But I find it too convenient. I'd like to think the reasons are more complicated than that.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
198 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  07:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Issue: Menzoberranzan's ruling council 3E in order of rank - Baenre, Barrison Del'Armgo, Faen Tlabbar, Xorlarrin, Mizzrym, Fey Branche, Tuin'Tarl, Duskryn (this would reflect House Agrach Dyrr's removal from the ruling council)

Menzoberranzan's ruling council 4E in order of rank - Baenre, Barrison Del'Armgo, Xorlarrin, Faen Tlabbar, Mizzrym, Fey Branche, Melarn, Vandree

Most canon seems to indicate that house advancement comes only in the form of eliminating houses directly above them in rank. Barrison Del'Armgo did have an unprecedented jump in ranks during its history, which I'd assume is a rare event. Xorlarrin and Faen Tlabbar have switched ranks. House Melarn is a troubling incident considering Hallistra was by all accounts a heretic. Old Yvonnel Baenre utterly destroyed House Oblodra when they strayed from the worship of Lolth, why have they allowed House Melarn to survive? And why would two houses join, I've never heard of such a thing. House Vandree used to be ranked 17th House and is now on the ruling council. They would have had to destroy 9 other families to climb that high.

Granted it's possible that there are ways a house can rise and fall in the city hierarchy, but nothing has really ever detailed the process other than house attacks against rival families. Maybe this will be detailed in the new Menzoberranzan book, but the changing of the ruling council in this drastic of a way never made sense to me.

(It'S NDA, so speculating about it is not sensible, I know)
I think you almost gave most answers to your questions yourself.
It is possible for Houses to switch places or jump ahead (even a full score of 31 houses!). Even in 4e 6th house Fey-branch is considering to 'make way' to Melarn and Vandree and take 8th rank again.
Especially considering that Menzberranzan was attacked from the outside 'recently' (plus Spellplague) I believe that the drow might now think twice to deplete their power in such drastic ways as internal house wars. So if one house let's it be 'known' that its considering an attack on a higher house and that higher house knows it would lose, it could abdict it's place to the lower house and switch places in hierachy. That could explain why house Vandree didn't had to destroy all houses on it's way to 8th rank (wondering what Liriel Baenre thinks of mommy's house to be on the ruling coucil). So houses Tuin'tarl and Duskryn might still be around on places 9 and 10 again.

House Melarn was formed of Houses Horlbar and Kenafin (12 and 13 in the box when Oblodra and Dyrr were still around) with (maybe secretly) a trickel of Melarn survivors, so Menzerranzans House Melarn must not be in any way what House Melarn of Ched Nasad was. And Halistra Melarn was/is Lolth's 'Lady Penitent', a hunter of non-believers and heretics, a saintly figure so to speak. We don't know what is known to the drow about the 'War of the Spiderqueen' story, so they may only know of Halistras history as Lolth's battleslave.

What i'm wondering about in Menzoberranzans 4e houses is the 'resurrection' that took place in house Faen Tlabbar. In 'Underdark' Vadalma Tlabbar had taken Ghenni'tiroth's place a matron mother, after the later was killed by the Oblodra during the ToT if i remember correctly. In 4e Ghenni is back as Matron. Well maybe the spellpalgue found Vadalmar boring a revived Ghenni
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  13:00:53  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves and Eladrin.

In previous D&D lore, Eladrin have been Celestial creatures- basically, angel Elves. Elves have always been mortal, long lived, and non Celestial.

Now, where it overlaps:
In the second book of the trilogy, The Last Mythal, Farthest Reach, Araevin Teshurr became an Eladrin or became like an Eladrin. Richard Baker made a clear distinction in the novel the the Eladrin were not ancestral to Elves and were Celestial creatures.

'He felt a presence approaching, coming to him through the dark. It was a woman, radiant and beautiful, an Elf in shape and features, yet incandescent with the power contained in her form.

He looked up to her, and saw with his own eyes. She was a creature of starshine and wonder. A fey queen whose eyes shown like the sun. There was light and affection of a sort in her face, but there was something more besides-a terrible strength and willfulness that awed him. She was magic made flesh, the sudden power of the storm, the capriciousness of the wind, the delight of the ancient stars.

'An Eladrin,' he whispered. I have called a queen of the Court of Stars, a high lady of the fey lords!'

Farthest Reach, Richard Baker, pg. 303

This excerpt clearly defines that the Eladrin and Elves were never once related in the terms that they are now.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  13:46:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erendriel Durothil

Now, where it overlaps:
In the second book of the trilogy, The Last Mythal, Farthest Reach, Araevin Teshurr became an Eladrin or became like an Eladrin. Richard Baker made a clear distinction in the novel the the Eladrin were not ancestral to Elves and were Celestial creatures.

'He felt a presence approaching, coming to him through the dark. It was a woman, radiant and beautiful, an Elf in shape and features, yet incandescent with the power contained in her form.

He looked up to her, and saw with his own eyes. She was a creature of starshine and wonder. A fey queen whose eyes shown like the sun. There was light and affection of a sort in her face, but there was something more besides-a terrible strength and willfulness that awed him. She was magic made flesh, the sudden power of the storm, the capriciousness of the wind, the delight of the ancient stars.

'An Eladrin,' he whispered. I have called a queen of the Court of Stars, a high lady of the fey lords!'

This excerpt clearly defines that the Eladrin and Elves were never once related in the terms that they are now.

This is how I'd explain it: When a creature of awesome might shows itself to someone who's possibly "lesser", they're going to do it with some splendor and radiance. Take any commoner in the Realms and show him The Simbul with a few enchantments/illusions active and see how much they would misrepresent her as a heavily host or angel with the magic pouring out. I think the same situation (could*) be applied to Araevin's interaction.

So in one sentence you claim that Araevin sorta becomes an Eladrin, via a gift from a Celestial Eladrin yet then say that they were never related? That really doesn't make sense to me as I feel** that his transformation is just a reconnection with Faerie (the Feywild) that "awakens" his power. Sure, it's a gift because he could never access that power himself, but I think it also has to do with his heritage.

*I use the world could becase it's speculation and not Canon. A guess as to how one might interpret it.

**Again, just a feeling I have that might explain how he "became" an Eladrin with just a kiss of a Celestial one. Also, that Eladrin might be pretty darn powerful for one of their kind, something that's not normally seen even among the Celestial Fey.

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Jan 2012 13:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  14:40:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earthmother/Chauntea

And not the usual "there are deeper mysteries in the heavens..." crap.

The Moonshaes were never a perfect fit, but the most obnoxious bit was the 'relationship' between those two beings. With the newer (4e) lore, there are some good possibilities for Earthmother (without blending her and Chauntea together, which makes no sense in light of the novels). There are also some interesting possibilities regarding the Moonwells/Pools (I prefer lore that is tied neatly together, rather then stand-alone stuff).

As one of my favorite posters (Gothic Dan) over on the WotC boards once said, "history does not happen in a vacuum". Interconnectivity is a key factor in a comprehensive setting like FR - it brings it to life for the fans.

On Elves: Never read Rich's series, but I like the 'metamorphosis' concept to explain the relationship between te various branches of elves/Eladrin. I still find the terminology ungainly, though - something I think needs to be worked on better. For instance, there should be a name for what both Eladrin and Elves are (and the "Elves are Eladrin, and Eladrin are Elves" thing from 4e is so wishy-washy I consider it non-lore).

My Suggestion: They are all Fey. Sylvanesti > Stellari > Eladrin > LeShay > Archfey. Sylvanesti = Green/Sylvan/Wood Elves, and Stellari (my own term, also sometimes called 'High Elves') = Moon/Sun/Star. Think of it similar to how reincarnation works within Hindu traditions, BUT Elves do not have to die to ascend to a higher level. I had more here, but I keep forgetting this isn't really a thread for us to resolve conflicts. This damn thread has me wanting to start three new threads of my own - maybe I should just do my own netbbok.

On Shades: I agree with Diffan. "Shar protected them" is just weak. connect it to the differences between the Weave and Shadoweave, and its pure win (two birds with one stone).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2012 15:13:34
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  14:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Earthmother/Chauntea

And not the usual "there are deeper mysteries in the heavens..." crap.

The Moonshaes were never a perfect fit, but the most obnoxious bit was the 'relationship' between those two beings. With the newer (4e) lore, there are some good possibilities for Earthmother (without blending her and Chauntea together, which makes no sense in light of the novels). There are also some interesting possibilities regarding the Moonwells/Pools (I prefer lore that is tied neatly together, rather then stand-alone stuff).

As one of my favorite posters (Gothic Dan) over on the WotC boards once said, "history does not happen in a vacuum". Interconnectivity is a key factor in a comprehensive setting like FR - it brings it to life for the fans.

I have no problem with the Chauntea became the "Earthmother" aspect, as it is fairly clear in the original trilogy that the Earthmother "died" and her portfolio was subsumed by Chauntea. The druids in the original novels were definitely not agricultural, but that changed over time as the new "Earthmother" became more widely venerated. Having said this, my one of my settings to adventure/DM in the Realms is by far the pre-Darkwalker Moonshaes.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:25:54  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Now, where it overlaps:

This is how I'd explain it: When a creature of awesome might shows itself to someone who's possibly "lesser", they're going to do it with some splendor and radiance. Take any commoner in the Realms and show him The Simbul with a few enchantments/illusions active and see how much they would misrepresent her as a heavily host or angel with the magic pouring out. I think the same situation (could*) be applied to Araevin's interaction.

So in one sentence you claim that Araevin sorta becomes an Eladrin, via a gift from a Celestial Eladrin yet then say that they were never related? That really doesn't make sense to me as I feel** that his transformation is just a reconnection with Faerie (the Feywild) that "awakens" his power. Sure, it's a gift because he could never access that power himself, but I think it also has to do with his heritage.

*I use the world could becase it's speculation and not Canon. A guess as to how one might interpret it.

**Again, just a feeling I have that might explain how he "became" an Eladrin with just a kiss of a Celestial one. Also, that Eladrin might be pretty darn powerful for one of their kind, something that's not normally seen even among the Celestial Fey.

I can't really say whether he became an Eladrin or not, but it somehow appears that the Eladrin queen graced him with some divine abilites or replaced him. It could have used a better explanation of his change in appearance, imo. Prior to 4e, the Eladrin were Celestial angel fey. The book even mentions Queen Morwel's Court of Stars. It never mentions any archfey. It sounded as if the Eladrin he encountered was a Tulani, as it referred to her as being a Fey queen. In previous sourcebooks, the Tulani are said the be the Faerie Lords.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:28:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't really say whether he became an Eladrin or not, but it somehow appears that the Eladrin queen graced him with some divine abilites or replaced him. It could have used a better explanation of his change in appearance, imo. Prior to 4e, the Eladrin were Celestial angel fey. The book even mentions Queen Morwel's Court of Stars. It never mentions any archfey. It sounded as if the Eladrin he encountered was a Tulani, as it referred to her as being a Fey queen. In previous sourcebooks, the Tulani are said the be the Faerie Lords.

Actually, the explanation is pretty good as it's open to interpretation. We've got a little wiggle room to come up with good ways of connecting lore without contradicting it.
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:33:53  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Actually, the explanation is pretty good as it's open to interpretation. We've got a little wiggle room to come up with good ways of connecting lore without contradicting it.

But how can the Eladrin become mortal now? In lore's past, the Elves were never related to the Eladrin. The Eladrin were on good terms with the Elves and were thought to be chaotic good Elves who died, but they weren't.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:38:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I have no problem with the Chauntea became the "Earthmother" aspect, as it is fairly clear in the original trilogy that the Earthmother "died" and her portfolio was subsumed by Chauntea. The druids in the original novels were definitely not agricultural, but that changed over time as the new "Earthmother" became more widely venerated. Having said this, my one of my settings to adventure/DM in the Realms is by far the pre-Darkwalker Moonshaes.
But in hindsight, we can make it better (I always felt the second trilogy was little more then a patch for the first). If Earthmother was a primordial (World Serpent?), then some vestige of her ancient religion could have survived on the Moonshaes, and the 'new gods' (deities) could just be doing a little late 'house-cleaning'. The interesting thing about that solution is that it helps with other things - it could explain other anomalies of this sort throughout Toril (last bits of the 'old religion' surviving).

Like I said, connect things together by providing more back-story. Perhaps the Wells/Pools were some sort of conduit between Abeir and Toril - a way for Ao to keep the two worlds anchored together. What if Primordials - who are essential to the fundamental principles of the universe (fantasy physics) - needed to still be part of the world (their energies/portfolios/whatever); that Ao couldn't separate them completely without destroying Toril? In essence, the Wells/Pools are like 'elemental power nodes' that provide necessary energies all over Toril (along with normal elemental nodes). They are like FR's 'power grid'.

Ergo, the system of Moonwells allowed the Earthmother to still influence the Moonshaes to some limited extent. Maybe each of the (necessary) Primordials had their own version (ie, Earthnodes for Grumbar). This may have also been how (some) Primordials were able to work-around the normal restrictions of worship - any faithful they had (cults) would be able to use the energies from pools/wells/nodes to empower their spells (which weren't delivered by their 'god' at all - they were just tapping-into its power).

See? Use the lore to fix the lore, and take other 'unknowns' (things we can use more info on), and use those as well, and string it all together in one cohesive story.

And I just did it again.

Sorry Erik - I just can't help myself.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2012 15:59:12
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:50:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Shades: I agree with Diffan. "Shar protected them" is just weak. connect it to the differences between the Weave and Shadoweave, and its pure win (two birds with one stone).

The differences would not matter, because both of them were utterly destroyed when Mystra was forcibly rebooted.

Maybe Shar created a mini version of the Shadow Weave that draws power directly from Mask. It could be one of the reasons why after the Spellplague she subsumed Mask. Consolidating all her powers and possessions after the catastrophe just makes sense.

Or perhaps Telamont Tanthul had long ago discovered a different source of magic, and guards that secret with his life, even from his own sons, specially Rivalen, who may use it for their own selfish schemes. He was around when the original Netheril fell, and knew (as almost everyone else) the cause. Being dependent on the Weave and, this time, the Shadow Weave, makes him and his city vulnerable---for whatever ill befalls the two sources of magic would be visited upon them tenfold. If there's anything he learned from Karsus, it's that Toril's main source of magic can be tampered by mortals and gods alike. He wants to guarantee the safety and expansion of his empire, and being completely dependent on two shaky power sources would make that unlikely.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  15:51:57  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like this Chauntea becoming the Earthmother. Didn't, in one of the Dragon Issues, explicitly say the Earthmother WASN'T Chauntea? That a lot of priests of Chauntea come to the Moonshae Isles to convert them to the worship of Chauntea? Oh, and by the way. I do NOT like that the Ffolk and Northlanders are now the 'same people'. In MY FR, they are two different and hating peoples.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:14:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But how can the Eladrin become mortal now? In lore's past, the Elves were never related to the Eladrin. The Eladrin were on good terms with the Elves and were thought to be chaotic good Elves who died, but they weren't.

Well, it's possible that not all eladrin are created equal. Lets take Eladrin to the likes that Araevin saw, a powerful "FEY" creature that is said to be immortal buy who's to say that on Faerie, they aren't Immortal but on Faerûn they might just have exceedingly long lifespans? No one knows really for certain. Also, we have to separate D&D generic lore from the Forgotten Realms lore, which one trumps the other (FR over general).

Another way of looking at Eladrin immortality is that perhaps they've achieved a specific tier, level, aspect, or growth (pick your poison) to account for immortality. There are quite a few ways PCs can achieve immortality through Prestige Classes, Paragon Paths, Epic Destinies, Spells, and the like yet we just assume Eladrin have this quality automatically.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:21:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earthmother isn't Chauntea - the novels would make no sense if 'she' was. The Earthmother is a more... primitive?... incarnation of the 'world deity'. To use RW cosmology, its like the difference between Gaia and Demeter in Greek mythology.

@Dennis - is that canon? That the Shadoweave also collapsed when the Weave did? Although I think that makes perfect sense, it also invalidates quite a bit of old lore (including what Rich Baker told me - that they were 'separate')

I still think it needs some polish - like maybe Shar thought her weave could stand alone, but she was wrong - that would feather-out some of the rough edges.

As for the Shade Enclave, thats easy (now that I know the Shadoweave canonically collapsed). The mythalar is a physical (greater) artifact. Like all other magical devices created before the Spellplague, it continues to function. There may have been some weirdness regarding any Quasi-magical devices the Shades employed, due to the magical chaos, but I doubt that - Quasi-magical items are supported by a local power-source (like a spell pool), and not directly powered by the Weave. Ergo, if the Mythalar withstood the plague, then any devices powered by it would still function normally.

In other words, the Enclave was on its own power, and didn't need to rely on Toril's power-grid. Devices didn't fail, spells did.

Eladrin: I think I erased the part of my post where I went off on this tangent. There are two types of Eladrin - those born-into it, and those that ascend to that position. All Elves are Fey (Sidhe), but depending on where they are born, they occupy different 'tiers' in the Fey echelon.

I think (in other words, this is a HB fix) that true Eladrin - those born in the Outer Planes (and Faerie in particular) - are indeed immortal. Those born/created 'elsewhere' (Material World) can also gain this ability, IF they go to live in Faerie for a long time - the universe has to accept them as 'native' to the plane (I had some rules about 'going native' in the Elven Netbook). Ergo, you could have primal (mortal world) Eladrin, and ethereal (outer-Planer) Eladrin. I also apply these type of rules to all fey (separation from the plane = a lessening of fey abilities). Once again, consistency is key.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jan 2012 16:43:26
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:41:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Diffan - is that canon? That the Shadoweave also collapsed when the Weave did? Although I think that makes perfect sense, it also invalidates quite a bit of old lore (including what Rich Baker told me - that they were 'separate')

I still think it needs some polish - like maybe Shar thought her weave could stand alone, but she was wrong - that would feather-out some of the rough edges.

As for the Shade Enclave, thats easy (now that I know the Shadoweave canonically collapsed). The mythalar is a physical (greater) artifact. Like all other magical devices created before the Spellplague, it continues to function. There may have been some weirdness regarding any Quasi-magical devices the Shades employed, due to the magical chaos, but I doubt that - Quasi-magical items are supported by a local power-source (like a spell pool), and not directly powered by the Weave. Ergo, if the Mythalar withstood the plague, then any devices powered by it would still function normally.

In other words, the Enclave was on its own power, and didn't need to rely on Toril's power-grid. Devices didn't fail, spells did.

First off, I am NOT Diffan. The only thing we have in common is a menacing avatar.

Yes, it's canon that both Weaves collapsed. Szas Tam himself saw the condition of the two using a dimensional window.

While I'm tempted to agree with your postulation, I can't. All the mythallars failed when Mystryl committed suicide. That's why the old Netheril fell. By same logic, all mythallars, that of Shade and Sakkors, should have also failed during the Spellplague---unless they are partly drawing magic from an unknown source.

I vaguely recall Ayrik sharing some thoughts on Telamont's possible other sources of power...

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Jan 2012 17:13:42
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:44:16  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Earthmother isn't Chauntea - the novels would make no sense if 'she' was.

Earthmother *is* Chauntea, duh! And the novels of Moonshae TrilogieS **totally** make sense; ESPECIALLY if Earthmother *is* Chauntea.

Which she is, dude.

Unstoppably Awesome to the Max
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  16:46:49  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know how the quote is *SO* clear? Is it sooo clear, candlescribes? Cuz I dont know how clear it is...???

quote:

clear distinction in the novel the the Eladrin were not ancestral to Elves and were Celestial creatures.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:35:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was difference - when Netheril fell, the Phaerimm had been draining the power from the mythalars themselves for years (several had already fallen, before Mystryl fell).

In another thread, I postulated how the Phaerimm could be the 'Caretakers of the Weave', which means they would have no authority or power over the Shadoweave (which means they were never draining Umbral energy, just Arcane). I actually think they weren't draining anything - they were shutting-down specific 'grids' within the weave itself, to repair those portions, and/or to prevent the damage from spreading. The Mythalars acted like Weave-taps, in that they drained (too much) power directly from The Weave itself.

You know what?

What if the 'life-draining' had little to do with The Weave at all? What if... it just damaged the Mythalars? Most of the Netherese Magic relied upon them - the majority of Netherese would have never realized the difference! The 'life' they were draining was from the Mythalars themselves!!! (and we already have canon that at least one was sentient)

Picture magic working like electricity (its all energy, after all). You know how a car electrical system works? The battery stores energy, to start the car only - while it is running it runs directly off the alternator. The mythalars work on a similar principle. In a car, if you disconnect the alternator (or if dies), the car will continue to run for awhile off the battery alone. However, if the battery is dead, and you disconnect the alternator, the car dies instantly. THIS is what happened when Karsus stole Mytryl's power - the Phaerimm had completely drained the cities' reserves, and when the Weave fell, they were powerless.

This also helps explain how some cities managed to survive for a few minutes longer - some for perhaps days - they had not been completely drained.

Not canon (not yet, anyway ), but the fact that the mythalars store energy is (the spell-pool like function of quasi-magical items), as well as the fact that they ran continuously (the levitating properties). I would say a mythalar was a sentient artifact that functioned as a (limited) spellpool, and also managed to maintain a Mythal-like field around the city itself (the levitating properties).

@Super Wizard: Just No.

Railing against any changes to the 'status quo' seems very anti-5e to me. Its a good thing you don't work for the company currently trying to produce such a wonderful effort.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2012 17:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think MT's quoted passage is all that clear, no. I read it and come to the opposite conclusion he does: I think that the eladrin ARE related to elves (celestial elves). Their shared ancestry can be a little murky--no one knows for sure where any natural/planar race originated.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:42:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never said they were different - in fact, I think they are all just Fey. I picture a Hindu-like ascension process, but without reincarnation. long-lived races can do this without the reincarnation (and Elves aren't human; not at all). Its complicated.

I am sorry this is bogging-down your thread again Erik - I will try to compose all my thoughts separately and post them elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shadow weave didn't necessarily collapse at the same rate as Mystra's weave, and it had a goddess to maintain it (ie try to hold it in place), so yeah--Shade could well have survived on the last fleeting vestiges of the Shadowweave (unraveling without Mystra to support it), at least until they could relearn arcane magic.

I see the shadow weave as being Shar's plan to oppose Mystra (canon) as well as her backup should magic fail with Mystra's demise. She didn't realize it would fall apart too, but she managed to choke the last vestiges of power out of it. In fact, the Shades had the benefit of seeing their magic source unravel relatively gradually (over the course of ten years, say), and that no doubt helped them relearn magic faster than everyone else, which explains why they seemed to suffer little.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, MT, don't apologize, as posts like yours are exactly what I want!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  17:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never said they were different - in fact, I think they are all just Fey. I picture a Hindu-like ascension process, but without reincarnation. long-lived races can do this without the reincarnation (and Elves aren't human; not at all). Its complicated.

I am sorry this is bogging-down your thread again Erik - I will try to compose all my thoughts separately and post them elsewhere.

That's basically what I think: they're all just fey. Over 100 years, many high elves from Faerun became more like them, such that scholars refer to tem as the same people. To most, they're just elves.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  18:21:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

@ Matthew:

And it would have taken the phaerimm a thousand more years to drain all the mythallars. The death of Mystryl considerably hastened the process; or rather made the process usesless, as without the Weave, the mythallars were useless. Hence, even if the phaerimm didn't cast lifedrain, the enclaves woulld still have fallen.

No, I wouldn't call the phaerimm caretakers of the Weave. For one, they didn't care about Mystryl. They even referred to her as "their (the humans') goddess."

You said they weren't draining anything. That's contrary to what's been sufficiently established about their intentions. Their spell is called lifedrain for a reason. It didn't only render the Netherese's mythallars dysfunctional, it also killed their land. If the phaerimm's spell was intended only to sever the link of the mythallars to the Weave, then the land itself would not have been severely affected. Do recall, the once fertile land of Netheril soon became a desert. And as far established lore goes, the mythallars have nothing to do with the "life" of the land. Their purpose was to keep the enclaves afloat and to empower the archwizards' spells and artifacts.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  19:50:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure I would want to win, people been trying to kill my character for year, however a question that I do not has been well transitioned.

With the disappearance of Eilistraee and redemption of Miyeritar desendents and followers of Eilistraee becoming Brown Elves. Eilstraee however also had half elf, human and even elf followers. What happened to them in the redemption?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  20:16:14  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Topic Dwarven Wizards
from this thread
quote:

I think Arcane/standard magic comes from deities, but Rune_magic is even more ancient in nature and is related to the Primordials.

Just my own theory, mind you.

Rune_magic seems both more primitive and yet more powerful - it is able to manipulate the basic (Elemental) forces of the universe. Not as full of finesse as regular arcane magic, but much more fundamentally powerful. The runes literally call upon the underlying forces of everything.

I think Dwarves (as well as Giants) are somehow connected to the Primordials, and are therefor not 'allowed' (there is a story somewhere about Dwarves being denied access to the Nether Scrolls... they can't even see them) to practice the type of magic granted mortals. The Runes allow them to tap-into a much more ancient power - the "Music of the Spheres', or the "Language Primeval" - literally, the voice of God(s) that can bring ideas into physical being. Runes are just the written form of that Universal (deific) language.

Their appears to also be a counter-language - the dark Speech - which Riven is able to use. That would be the language of un-mmaking, and the written form would probably drive most creatures insane.

Once again, just some of my theories.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like the idea that runes tap into something more primal and less controlled than the Weave, but I don't see a need to involve primordials -- perhaps runes were simply the first attempts to master magic.

As for dwarves not seeing the Nether Scrolls, that was an old (and difficult to find!) story on the Wizards site, dating back to around 2000. The Scrolls and the Dwarves/ The Denial of Mystryl. It's a very brief tale, and it offers a reason for why pre-3E dwarves could not use arcane magic.

I also like the 'primal' feel Markustay suggests for the runes. And tying in to the theme of Dwarven Wizards, I have a following theory (mind you just rough idea at this point)

When the dwarves arrived on Toril (Yehimal Mts) and subsequently fanned out over large stretches of Faerun, Diirinka then still a respected member of the Morndinsamman, was the dwarven deity of magic and knowledge.

In those days, arcane magic was part of dwarven culture in ways somewhat comparible to druidic traditions and linked to the worship of Diirinka. Those wielding arcane power were termed 'savants' and by true-naming and knowing the corresponding runes they were able to tap into the raw arcane energies.

This was a process not without dangers - many a savant was driven mad when the arcane energy got out of control, displaying behavior not unlike seen in the derro - and therefore only practiced by a few – Diirinka's priesthood (in 3e game mechanics the savant would be a PrC for clerics of Diirinka).

When mastered properly though, the magic these savants could work would rival, sometimes nearly eclipse the elven high magic and the later works of the Netherese. The savants worked mainly for the benefit of the dwarven society, creating powerfull defenses, constructs - even in concert with other savants rearanging the strata of rock within the world to shape their own realms.

With the magic tradition of the dwarves so closely linked to Diirinka, it comes as no surprise that when the deity and his twin were banished from the Morndinsamman, the use of arcane magic all but disappeared from dwarven culture and traditions. A few savants remained, but their powers were reduced as they had to re-learn their Art and were shunned as worshippers of a banished deity. No longer were the raw energies available to them as they once had been. The runecasting tradition survived throughout the ages, but the arcane effects were no longer as powerful as they once had been.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 21 Jan 2012 20:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Super Wizard
Acolyte

31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  20:29:44  Show Profile Send Super Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just YES Markustay! Chauntea and Earthmother are leik totally the same jus liek how Muslims and Christians wurship the same God but differenly, lol!

quote:

There was difference - when Netheril fell, the Phaerimm had been draining the power from the mythalars themselves for years (several had already fallen, before Mystryl fell).

In another thread, I postulated how the Phaerimm could be the 'Caretakers of the Weave', which means they would have no authority or power over the Shadoweave (which means they were never draining Umbral energy, just Arcane). I actually think they weren't draining anything - they were shutting-down specific 'grids' within the weave itself, to repair those portions, and/or to prevent the damage from spreading. The Mythalars acted like Weave-taps, in that they drained (too much) power directly from The Weave itself.

You know what?

What if the 'life-draining' had little to do with The Weave at all? What if... it just damaged the Mythalars? Most of the Netherese Magic relied upon them - the majority of Netherese would have never realized the difference! The 'life' they were draining was from the Mythalars themselves!!! (and we already have canon that at least one was sentient)

Picture magic working like electricity (its all energy, after all). You know how a car electrical system works? The battery stores energy, to start the car only - while it is running it runs directly off the alternator. The mythalars work on a similar principle. In a car, if you disconnect the alternator (or if dies), the car will continue to run for awhile off the battery alone. However, if the battery is dead, and you disconnect the alternator, the car dies instantly. THIS is what happened when Karsus stole Mytryl's power - the Phaerimm had completely drained the cities' reserves, and when the Weave fell, they were powerless.

This also helps explain how some cities managed to survive for a few minutes longer - some for perhaps days - they had not been completely drained.

Not canon (not yet, anyway ), but the fact that the mythalars store energy is (the spell-pool like function of quasi-magical items), as well as the fact that they ran continuously (the levitating properties). I would say a mythalar was a sentient artifact that functioned as a (limited) spellpool, and also managed to maintain a Mythal-like field around the city itself (the levitating properties).

@Super Wizard: Just No.

Afraid for your job? Hows the tentacles hanging these days? Its only a matter of time, dude.... the gravy-train is leaving the station.

Railing against any changes to the 'staus quo' seems very anti-5e to me. Its a good thing you don't work for the company currently trying to produce such a wonderful effort.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  01:31:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of the Earthmother/Chauntea merger/divide...

Earthmother was a completely separate deity from that of Chauntea, that is, until TSR cast a "mighty retcon" upon the six 'Moonshae' novels.

You have to take this into consideration, otherwise parts of the plot from the novels don't make as much sense without it -- mostly because Earthmother dies and Chauntea then assumes her position until Earthmother returns and forces Chauntea out from the druids that focused instead on Chauntea worship.

I'll note, also, that Brian James was never actually happy with that retcon, which is why he didn't acknowledge it in his "Moonshae" article [DRAGON #362]. In fact, he hinted pretty strongly that Earthmother may indeed be a fey goddess.

By not acknowledging the retcon, Brian seems to have re-established the singular Earthmother as a divine entity unto herself with regard to the Moonshaes.

I've speculated that perhaps this fey Earthmother is merely "a partial aspect of the Land" [the Moonshaes] with respect to Chauntea's overall placement as THE land overall.

The reference from the Ol' Gray Box being:- "Earthmother 'may or may not be an aspect of Chauntea' [Cyclopedia of the Realms, pg. 17], was expanded upon with Chauntea's entry in Faiths & Avatars, by suggesting that Earthmother was a more primitive aspect, a portion of Chauntea's essence, that was dedicated to directly overseeing the Moonshaes.

But with Brian's work in the aforementioned "Moonshae" article, as it stands now, Earthmother and Chauntea are largely separate entities once again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  02:23:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

When the dwarves arrived on Toril (Yehimal Mts) and subsequently fanned out over large stretches of Faerun, Diirinka then still a respected member of the Morndinsamman, was the dwarven deity of magic and knowledge.

In those days, arcane magic was part of dwarven culture in ways somewhat comparible to druidic traditions and linked to the worship of Diirinka. Those wielding arcane power were termed 'savants' and by true-naming and knowing the corresponding runes they were able to tap into the raw arcane energies.

This was a process not without dangers - many a savant was driven mad when the arcane energy got out of control, displaying behavior not unlike seen in the derro - and therefore only practiced by a few – Diirinka's priesthood (in 3e game mechanics the savant would be a PrC for clerics of Diirinka).

When mastered properly though, the magic these savants could work would rival, sometimes nearly eclipse the elven high magic and the later works of the Netherese. The savants worked mainly for the benefit of the dwarven society, creating powerfull defenses, constructs - even in concert with other savants rearanging the strata of rock within the world to shape their own realms.

With the magic tradition of the dwarves so closely linked to Diirinka, it comes as no surprise that when the deity and his twin were banished from the Morndinsamman, the use of arcane magic all but disappeared from dwarven culture and traditions. A few savants remained, but their powers were reduced as they had to re-learn their Art and were shunned as worshippers of a banished deity. No longer were the raw energies available to them as they once had been. The runecasting tradition survived throughout the ages, but the arcane effects were no longer as powerful as they once had been.

I am liking this. I am going to have to read up on Diirinka and Diinkarazan. I would hear more of this, Mumadar.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Jan 2012 02:28:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7977 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  04:29:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

I think that the eladrin ARE related to elves (celestial elves). Their shared ancestry can be a little murky--no one knows for sure where any natural/planar race originated.
2E Spelljammer asserts that elves colonized the Realms via Spelljamming (of course, lol). I think PHBR8: Complete Book of Elves also discusses this in a little more depth, insofar as the "branching" of the elven subraces across the Realms, Krynn, Oerth, and elsewhere. And of course 2E eladrin were mostly seen in Planescape, introduced as one of the various types of celestials, literally described as "elven angels". I'm not saying these things are necessarily incompatible with your ideas, Erik (elves and eladrin may have diverged long before elves reached the Realms, the elven diaspora reaching many worlds, the eladrin dispersing across the Feywild and upper planes), although you might want to confirm the old lore if trying to arrive at some kind of "perfect solution".

A complication might be the drow. The legend of their schism with the other elves might have originated from the one world/plane/place to which all the proto-elfladrin races were initially confined. Or it may have somehow occurred simultaneously across every world where the drow exist, through some kind of omnicosmic-divine symmetry or other weirdness. Isolating drow origins might help isolate eladrin origins. I submit that magical "evolution" might not follow the normal rules we understand, it might manifest spontaneously (like a flame) whenever conditions are right.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Jan 2012 04:42:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000