Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have you purchased the New Forgotten Realms books?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  05:57:46  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Have you purchased the latest (4e) Forgotten Realms materials?

Choices:

Yep!
Nope!

(Anonymous Vote)

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  06:00:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  06:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. I refuse to buy anything 4e, sourcebooks or novels.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  10:55:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another poll that needs more options... I myself have purchased all of the 4E Forgotten Realms source material, but none of the most recent novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  11:22:04  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i bought them only for encyclopaedic reasons (ONLY THE FR RPG BOOKS) and NOT FOR USAGE,, AT ALL !!!!!!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - BARDOBARBAROS on 06 Jan 2012 11:22:40
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  11:38:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it turns out, I've read a number of 4E-setting novels but have never actually purchased any. This is because my D&D purchases tend towards the game stuff (and even then, only the "core" and "important" D&D 4E sourcebooks, since we've tried but hardly ever play the 4E game systems), while I've borrowed the novels from fellow players who happen to diligently purchase and collect FR titles (and even from the public library in a few instances).

Once I was able to overlook my "4E Realms" setting apprehensions I found that, taken for what they are and where/when they take place, the novels are fairly well-written and entertaining. Certainly the technical quality is held to higher standards than it was in many of my beloved 2E-era FR novels. Ironically, the inter-consistency of all the lore between 4E-canon novels is much less flawed than was ever possible within previous editions ... although, yes, it shamelessly retcontradicts and is incompatible with much of the earlier canon.

I've found that D&D has gradually moved down my list of priorities over the years, my preferences turn away from Realms fiction with ever-greater frequency. I've only managed to maintain any contact at all with the Realms by being a most avid reader. I cannot honestly say if this has anything to do with the drastic canon changes inflicted upon the Realmslore; although I'm strongly inclined to prefer ye olde grognard canon I think I've would've begun drifting away even faster from a repetitively predictable and tiresomely stagnant setting.

Ayrik votes for no man (or lady), polls are silly and only stoke the flames. The results are inconsequential in any event - we already know that most of the vocal Candlekeep scribes are 2E/3E-era grognards and few (outside of the Wizbro personnel) actively champion the merits of 4E. But the overwhelming majority of scribes here are not vocal, Candlekeep is only one small place in the Realms, and the Realms are but a lesser part of all D&D. What do you hope to accomplish with polls like these aside from confirming a personal preference/condemnation?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Jan 2012 13:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  13:09:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally only the Neverwinter Campaign (considered returning the book)

And my friends had a DDI subscription a few times cause of certain articles
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:26:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep! I've bought the campaign guide, player's guide, Scepter Tower of Spellgard adventure, and the Neverwinter Campaign Guide. In addition, I've downloaded all of Ed's Eye on the Realms articles plus all the other FR-related ones too from DDI.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  14:35:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, and never will

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:00:32  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last product I bought was the NWCS. I will eventually pick up all non-module Realms-related game materials (and perhaps the modules), moreso because I am a completist (is that even a word?) than anything else.

The Sellplague (more specifically, the century-long chasm) disheartened me enough that I won't buy any of the new novels. While I would actually like to read Shadowbane (ESdB has more than proven that he understands the Realms), I do not want to read a book that isn't on good old fashioned paper. I am Luddite enough for that.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:13:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread was specifically designed to back-up Swiftstrike's arguments in the other thread. Bravo for your internet manipulation (we need a clapping smiley).

Anyhow, my answer isn't one of the two choices - it is too 'black & white' for me.

I have indeed purchased several 4e products, disliked most of the early ones, but have enjoyed at least one recent one. I haven't bought-into the whole 4e thing simply because I am quite happy with 3e - both the setting and the rules.

I don't buy a new car just because they are making new cars. I buy one when I need a new one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jan 2012 15:14:07
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:23:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, Shadowbane's availability as only an eBook, and restricted to certain proprietary media formats as well, is most unfortunate indeed. ESdB's Ghostwalker was quite an excellent read (thank you, Erik), Depths of Madness not as much (I didn't like the characters, lol) but it was still fairly satisfactory. I rather selfishly hope Wizbro's grand publishing experiment will reach completion or sort of fail and they'll consequently re-release Shadowbane in a proper format which Luddites and anti-DRM champions can all enjoy.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  15:47:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Markustay

... it is too 'black & white' for me ... I have indeed purchased several 4e products, disliked most of the early ones, but have enjoyed at least one recent one.
I actually disliked the earlier 4E products less than the recent ones. But the point is the same: it's inaccurate to just lump it all together and write "4E - bad!" all over it. Some products are better than others, as always, and "better" is itself a variable definition subject to bias. I meet people who play D&D or read FR fiction in all sorts of surprising day-to-day places, and many of them only know or strongly prefer 4E canon; they love the game, they visit the Realms, they have fun. It's as difficult for 4E-native people to accept "stuffy old" pre-4E lore as it is for grognards to accept 4E-makeover, but I've found people can transition (both ways) across the 4E barrier when things are explained in a polite and open context rather than a confrontational lorebanging "Epic Edition Warrior PrC" manner.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:10:27  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This thread was specifically designed to back-up Swiftstrike's arguments in the other thread. Bravo for your internet manipulation (we need a clapping smiley).

Anyhow, my answer isn't one of the two choices - it is too 'black & white' for me.

Agreed. I'm not even going to choose an answer. It's designed to lead to a particular conclusion without considering any details.

If you buy 20% of the gaming supplements, does that mean yes? How much is sufficient? If you're down in the economy, and can't afford anything, do we conclude you're a hater? What if you have bought some novels and have enjoyed them, but you're satisfied with a prior edition for roleplaying and don't want to invest in a whole new set?

Seriously...

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:16:12  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more then pleased with 3rd edition rules (more specifically PF/3ed mix) and I hate what they did to the Realms in 4th ed. You can quote me if you want Brace Cormaeril, err, I mean Lady Swiftstrike.

Edited by - Imp on 06 Jan 2012 16:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:23:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear why the Poll was created (in additoni to the other one) honestly. Was it just to prove a point? Was it to gain some measure of people's tastes on a specific Realms or 4E matter? Or to cause flame-wars?

And as Therise says, how does one define "support"? I've purchased pretty much all the FR 4E information I can about the system and it's interactions with the setting. I have not, however, purchased all the novels of the current time. I just don't have the time to read that much anymore. I'd still say I'm fully supporting the Realms even if my library of novels isn't stocked with 4E timeline stories.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  16:44:38  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have novels but no source material so I voted No.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  17:01:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Agreed. I'm not even going to choose an answer. It's designed to lead to a particular conclusion without considering any details.

If you buy 20% of the gaming supplements, does that mean yes? How much is sufficient? If you're down in the economy, and can't afford anything, do we conclude you're a hater? What if you have bought some novels and have enjoyed them, but you're satisfied with a prior edition for roleplaying and don't want to invest in a whole new set?

Seriously...

I don't play D&D anymore, but even if I did I'm not sure I would be willing to spend a couple hundred dollars buying new source books every time a new edition was released.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  18:27:12  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't vote in the poll, either, because even 4th Edition Realms isn't a complete loss. And care must be taken to separate 4th Edition rules and 4th Edition Realms. The game system itself...eh, whatever. I have nothing in particular against it. They did some good things, they did some bad things. It just doesn't grab me is all. Pathfinder is my system of choice, as there are far more options for it than 4th Edition will ever have.

4th Edition Realms is a bit different. We have all heard the gripes about it, so I won't go there.

The Sword Coast, especially, isn't really all that much different from earlier editions. And the Neverwinter materials are a diamond in the muck, truly deserving of a Greenwood Award (is there a Greenwood Award? There should be). Apart from not including more detail on the surrounding environs, I have nothing but good things to say about it. So 4th Edition Realms is salvageable...it'll just take the freelancers some time to triage the damage that Wizbro did, is all.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:28:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't buy a new car just because they are making new cars. I buy one when I need a new one.

Well-stated, my friend!

Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  19:40:11  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'd like to hear why the Poll was created (in additoni to the other one) honestly. Was it just to prove a point? Was it to gain some measure of people's tastes on a specific Realms or 4E matter? Or to cause flame-wars?

And as Therise says, how does one define "support"? I've purchased pretty much all the FR 4E information I can about the system and it's interactions with the setting. I have not, however, purchased all the novels of the current time. I just don't have the time to read that much anymore. I'd still say I'm fully supporting the Realms even if my library of novels isn't stocked with 4E timeline stories.

I put these polls together in response to the Moderator asking me to provide numbers to back up my opinion that I feel a lot of negativity for the development of the Forgotten Realms on this site.

I guess it wasn't such a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:05:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

I put these polls together in response to the Moderator asking me to provide numbers to back up my opinion that I feel a lot of negativity for the development of the Forgotten Realms on this site.

There are probably better ways of going about to collect the data. Anyone that spends more than a month on these boards knows that the majority of people here enjoy 2nd Edition and a good number of 3rd Edition Realms material because there is just SOO much of it. 4th Edition, to some, severed a lot of those ties and it's natural to see some or many responses that reject it. For some it's personal, for others (like myself), we make do.

But positive 4E-FR threads aren't discouraged or hammered on with negativity. In fact, there has been some great positive strides not only with talking about new lore but creating fan-based lore too. Even with just the system itself, more people that are against it often just don't post there and leave it alone. At worse, questions regarding just the system will get few responses.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:22:53  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not gaming supplements, but books as in novels? Yep! Brotherhood of the Griffin remains my favorite 4e series thus far.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  22:41:13  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ayrik votes for no man (or lady), polls are silly and only stoke the flames. The results are inconsequential in any event - we already know that most of the vocal Candlekeep scribes are 2E/3E-era grognards and few (outside of the Wizbro personnel) actively champion the merits of 4E. But the overwhelming majority of scribes here are not vocal, Candlekeep is only one small place in the Realms, and the Realms are but a lesser part of all D&D. What do you hope to accomplish with polls like these aside from confirming a personal preference/condemnation?

I bet the Moderators will ask you to provide some numbers to back up those claims...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  00:36:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

To be fair, you were piquing my curiosity with your near-certainty about your claims, so naturally, so I thought this would have achieved some determination either way.

And it still may in fact do so. Give it time.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  03:28:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, the mods can review my file all they like. They'll find no votes, or more accurately I've voted "No vote" on every poll I've read. The only incriminations would be endless strings of edits.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:15:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Haha, the mods can review my file all they like. They'll find no votes, or more accurately I've voted "No vote" on every poll I've read. The only incriminations would be endless strings of edits.

Actually, the most we can see is who voted -- we can't see what those votes are. Your votes remain anonymous.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jan 2012 04:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  04:36:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin, you have an interesting user name, a record of posting over three times a day., putting together a few polls that appeared to have flaws in them.
Welcome to the Keep, may you learn and become wise during your time with us.

That it appears your polls, flawed as they are, were seeking to prove some theory of yours distresses me.

May you Be Blessed.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  05:02:31  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kentinal. May you also be Blessed!

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin, you have an interesting user name, a record of posting over three times a day., putting together a few polls that appeared to have flaws in them.
Welcome to the Keep, may you learn and become wise during your time with us.

That it appears your polls, flawed as they are, were seeking to prove some theory of yours distresses me.

May you Be Blessed.

Go to Top of Page

Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  05:39:19  Show Profile Send Lady Swiftstrike Assassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also hope that you grow in Wisdom, Kentinal!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  06:12:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just realised that I didn't respond to this scroll's primary query.

I've also purchased everything published for the 4e Realms, including the novels, and DDI articles on the Wizards' website.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000