Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have you purchased the New Forgotten Realms books?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 05:57:46
Have you purchased the latest (4e) Forgotten Realms materials?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 12 Jan 2012 : 11:11:03
Well i have purchased quite a few novels. I particularly enjoyed the brotherhood of the griffon trilogy.
Brimstone Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 03:46:37
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I do think, however, that WotC is going to release a future strategy for PDF releases. Keep an eye out tomorrow ;)

Kentinal Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 03:28:05
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Swiftstrike Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal via private message

Maybe you are wiser then I, maybe you are a Great Reader with a new identity for some reason. The polls you put out however did not appear to have used much of your Wisdom

I'm not a Great Reader, but I still hope that you can grow in Wisdom, Kentinal!

Indeed you take the role of Assassin well. I only wonder which moderator gave you permission to conduct these polls.
Matt James Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 01:01:20
Chiming in on this thread. I would love to see pay-per-article. We'll have to see how feasible that is. Hard to tell.

I do think, however, that WotC is going to release a future strategy for PDF releases. Keep an eye out tomorrow ;)
The Sage Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 00:52:17
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

I haven't thought about purchasing a Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription. I'm on meagre funds at the moment, so my yearly budget is tight.

The issue with DDI, for me, anyways, is that while I would very much like access to any new Realms-related material, regardless of edition (I did say I was a completist), I am also paying for other stuff that simply doesn't interest me.

Mechanics are irrelevant, as I use Pathfinder, and the only other TSR world I regularly use, Birthright, will never see any further official support. If they were to create a Realms-only service, I would subscribe immediately, but that is, I realize, a pipe dream.

- OMH

I don't use 4e mechanics either, largely because my campaign rules-set is a hodge-podge mixture of rules and mechanics from many editions of the D&D game, and other non-TSR/WotC games as well, like the BattleTech RPG.

But I was too tempted by the lore, so I renewed my subscription after originally receiving my first yearly subscription for DDI as a birthday present.

I know not every scribe has the financial luxury of indulging in such practices... if only for the lore. And some may find it wasteful for me to purchase whole material that I'll only ever use part of... but, really, isn't that what we were doing anyway when we used to purchase a Realms sourcebook? I don't know any Realms campaigner who has ever used EVERYTHING included in one singular Realms sourcebook.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 23:03:47
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

I haven't thought about purchasing a Dungeons & Dragons Insider subscription. I'm on meagre funds at the moment, so my yearly budget is tight.

The issue with DDI, for me, anyways, is that while I would very much like access to any new Realms-related material, regardless of edition (I did say I was a completist), I am also paying for other stuff that simply doesn't interest me.

Mechanics are irrelevant, as I use Pathfinder, and the only other TSR world I regularly use, Birthright, will never see any further official support. If they were to create a Realms-only service, I would subscribe immediately, but that is, I realize, a pipe dream.

- OMH

Even a pay-per-article approach would be superior to the current all-or-nothing approach, I think.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 19:52:56
quote:

- OMH
D-brane Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 08:21:19
I apologise friend Sage. *wink* To help facilitate the transition back to the original topic, I will attempt to answer the original question posed by this thread's opening post.

I have purchased the new Forgotten Realms books, and I have also picked up several of the novels launched in the post time-jump period. But I have been select in which books I've bought - - though not because of anything I may have against the 4th Edition Realms setting. Instead, I maintain my policy of purchasing only books by authors I like. I'm not as appreciative as perhaps I should be for the new lot of Realms writers entering the franchise, so I still exist on a literary diet of Ed Greenwood, Steven Schend, Erik Scott de Bie, and Richard Lee Byers.

The Sage Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 08:14:28
Okay, I think we're treading the line here in terms of what the site's Code of Conduct deems appropriate forum chatter for Candlekeep.

Let's keep it civil, and more importantly, on-topic, eh?

D-brane Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 08:11:40
quote:

The Sage, will you be requesting Ayrik to support his opinion with numbers as well?

Thank you Lady Swiftstrike, for reminding this humble scribe of why he no longer bothers to fully enter these halls much any more.

It's folk like you that give this site the bad trolling reputation that I've seen talked about elsewhere.
Tasker Daze Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 07:02:45
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'd like to hear why the Poll was created (in additoni to the other one) honestly. Was it just to prove a point? Was it to gain some measure of people's tastes on a specific Realms or 4E matter? Or to cause flame-wars?

And as Therise says, how does one define "support"? I've purchased pretty much all the FR 4E information I can about the system and it's interactions with the setting. I have not, however, purchased all the novels of the current time. I just don't have the time to read that much anymore. I'd still say I'm fully supporting the Realms even if my library of novels isn't stocked with 4E timeline stories.

I put these polls together in response to the Moderator asking me to provide numbers to back up my opinion that I feel a lot of negativity for the development of the Forgotten Realms on this site.

I guess it wasn't such a good idea.

It wasn't. People don't buy things for a lot of reaosns.
Tasker Daze Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 07:01:30
quote:

quote:

Maybe you are wiser then I, maybe you are a Great Reader with a new identity for some reason. The polls you put out however did not appear to have used much of your Wisdom

You're calling someone a moron, and also sharing the contents of a private message? That's just not cool.
Ayrik Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 06:24:53
Your interactions with me and with other scribes suggests strongly that you're simply trolling for argument, Swiftstrike.

I won't respond to trolling, even when you call me out by name. Nor I suspect will Sage. Perhaps I'm mistaken, and hopefully you'll prove me wrong, but in any event you may consider me withdrawn from your thread.
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 06:23:59
quote:

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 08 Jan 2012 : 06:17:36
The Sage, will you be requesting Ayrik to support his opinion with numbers as well?
Thelonius Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 10:27:47
No, though is not as much of problems with 4E stuf that a matter of accesibility in here to the new FR stuff. Though it has been greatly critisez I'd like to delve more into it before making my own opinion, the only 4E related novel I've read so far is Gauntlgrym, and it doesn't give much info about it.
MrHedgehog Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 10:03:57
I might buy Neverwinter, I haven't seen it at a store yet though.

Looking at the first two books I though they were poorly made and so I didn't see a reason to buy them. They recycled art even! I am pretty sure the Heartwarder painting was from a 3d book.
Dennis Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 06:48:39

To the OP:

Definitely. And will continue to do so, specially now that I know the novel line-up for this year!
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 06:12:22
Just realised that I didn't respond to this scroll's primary query.

I've also purchased everything published for the 4e Realms, including the novels, and DDI articles on the Wizards' website.
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 05:39:19
I also hope that you grow in Wisdom, Kentinal!
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 05:02:31
Thank you, Kentinal. May you also be Blessed!

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin, you have an interesting user name, a record of posting over three times a day., putting together a few polls that appeared to have flaws in them.
Welcome to the Keep, may you learn and become wise during your time with us.

That it appears your polls, flawed as they are, were seeking to prove some theory of yours distresses me.

May you Be Blessed.

Kentinal Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 04:36:09
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin, you have an interesting user name, a record of posting over three times a day., putting together a few polls that appeared to have flaws in them.
Welcome to the Keep, may you learn and become wise during your time with us.

That it appears your polls, flawed as they are, were seeking to prove some theory of yours distresses me.

May you Be Blessed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 04:15:49
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Haha, the mods can review my file all they like. They'll find no votes, or more accurately I've voted "No vote" on every poll I've read. The only incriminations would be endless strings of edits.

Actually, the most we can see is who voted -- we can't see what those votes are. Your votes remain anonymous.
Ayrik Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 03:28:19
Haha, the mods can review my file all they like. They'll find no votes, or more accurately I've voted "No vote" on every poll I've read. The only incriminations would be endless strings of edits.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2012 : 00:36:29
quote:

quote:

I'd like to hear why the Poll was created (in additoni to the other one) honestly. Was it just to prove a point? Was it to gain some measure of people's tastes on a specific Realms or 4E matter? Or to cause flame-wars?

And as Therise says, how does one define "support"? I've purchased pretty much all the FR 4E information I can about the system and it's interactions with the setting. I have not, however, purchased all the novels of the current time. I just don't have the time to read that much anymore. I'd still say I'm fully supporting the Realms even if my library of novels isn't stocked with 4E timeline stories.

I put these polls together in response to the Moderator asking me to provide numbers to back up my opinion that I feel a lot of negativity for the development of the Forgotten Realms on this site.

To be fair, you were piquing my curiosity with your near-certainty about your claims, so naturally, so I thought this would have achieved some determination either way.

And it still may in fact do so. Give it time.
Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 22:41:13
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Ayrik votes for no man (or lady), polls are silly and only stoke the flames. The results are inconsequential in any event - we already know that most of the vocal Candlekeep scribes are 2E/3E-era grognards and few (outside of the Wizbro personnel) actively champion the merits of 4E. But the overwhelming majority of scribes here are not vocal, Candlekeep is only one small place in the Realms, and the Realms are but a lesser part of all D&D. What do you hope to accomplish with polls like these aside from confirming a personal preference/condemnation?

I bet the Moderators will ask you to provide some numbers to back up those claims...
Entromancer Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 20:22:53
Not gaming supplements, but books as in novels? Yep! Brotherhood of the Griffin remains my favorite 4e series thus far.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 20:05:57
quote:

There are probably better ways of going about to collect the data. Anyone that spends more than a month on these boards knows that the majority of people here enjoy 2nd Edition and a good number of 3rd Edition Realms material because there is just SOO much of it. 4th Edition, to some, severed a lot of those ties and it's natural to see some or many responses that reject it. For some it's personal, for others (like myself), we make do.

But positive 4E-FR threads aren't discouraged or hammered on with negativity. In fact, there has been some great positive strides not only with talking about new lore but creating fan-based lore too. Even with just the system itself, more people that are against it often just don't post there and leave it alone. At worse, questions regarding just the system will get few responses.

Lady Swiftstrike Assassin Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 19:40:11
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 19:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I don't buy a new car just because they are making new cars. I buy one when I need a new one.

Well-stated, my friend!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000