Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Want to influence the design of Rashemen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  17:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Alright folks, here’s the deal. I’ve been contracted to write a Backdrop article for the nation of Rashemen, and I want to solicit suggestions from the Realms community.

This is your chance to have a direct impact on Realmslore. Understand, however, that by participating in this thread you’re voluntarily giving up your ownership of any ideas presented. This is simply your opportunity to influence my writing.

This article will be roughly five-thousand words and will be patterned after other Backdrop articles I’ve written for the Forgotten Realms (Cormyr, Sarifal, Vaasa, Chessenta).

The article will also be accompanied by a detailed map of Rashemen, so if you have any suggestions for new locations or want to point out obscure locations from older sourcebooks, that would be fantastic.

This article is set in 1480 DR, so I’m particularly interested in suggestions that help smooth the nation’s transition into the present time period.

I view this as an experiment. Not all ideas presented here will make it into the final product, but I firmly believe that the article will benefit greatly by direct input from Realms fans.

Thanks in advance!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  17:56:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this idea! I'm going to try to think up something interesting, in the hopes of it seeing print.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  18:25:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boo-Ya!! Super stoked by the news. If I may ask, what (if any) mechanics would they be interested in seeing w/ this article? I believe the Cormyr one had a Paragon Path or two and some magical items listed. I'd love to contribute some ideas I had or maybe even a Hathran Theme
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  20:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will be a Dungeon article, so any mechanics will need to be DM focused instead of player focused. So that pretty much eliminates themes and paragon paths unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  21:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to edge in on Brian's thread, but I don't interpret his response above to mean "don't" give player-focused ideas--they can make good plot threads and might end up in a follow-up article. The more, the better.

Also I'm totally stoked to see what people come up with.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  00:32:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time for me to dust off all the old Rashmeen lore in the hope of finding something new to explore for Brian's challenge.

Oh, and Brian, how much time do we have to work on our ideas for this?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2011 00:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  00:57:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, shucks, Rashemen's just not my gig ... sorry. But I'll be quite eager to present lore seeds planted throughout the Moonsea and the North.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  01:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, I want to first say that just about everything I know about Rasheman comes from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer so I am not sure how much I could potentially contribute to this project. My questions are aimed more at potential future projects if you, or anyone else, chooses to seek input again.

What form of input are you wanting? Are you meaning something along the lines of "NPC A from supplement B who lived in village C had plans D, E, and F running with potential outcomes X, Y, and Z." or are you looking for something along the lines of "please use NPC A from supplement B somehow."? My other question is what is the canon status of the video games for something like this? Are they canon if they get referrenced in another product or are they considered seperate always?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  01:53:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric and Tom had write ups of Rashemi specific themes in their 2nd Realms bestiary

DEATH FEY IN FAERÛN
Death fey are the twisted result of Thayan magic and yet another attempt to harm Rashemen. Since their creation they have
spread far from their origins in the Unapproachable East.

SHADOWSTAVES IN FAERÛN
Shadowstaves are created by Mystra, Azuth, and now Savras from the souls of deeply loyal worshipers or a former Magister. Shadowstaves defend Aglarond and Rashemen against Thay.

WOOD MEN IN FAERÛN
Of all the nature spirits of Rashemen (for he is not known to exist anywhere else on Faerûn), the most powerful is the great
being known as the wood man. The wood man appears to defend Rashemen against foreign invaders. Most believe the Witches
of Rashemen are responsible for calling the wood man, while some few who are aware of the existence of the vremyonni,
believe these powerful male sorcerers are responsible for the calling.

There is some lore linked to Aldreth Fireshar from Dragon 213

From the Seven Sisters - Ottar's Mask (spell) known to the witches of Rashemen, but who Ottar is is unknown (Rashemi vremyonni?)

Cult of the Dragon: The Sorority of the Silver Fire part founded by Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical: write up of the windwalker amulet and links to the Rus/Rashemi

Dwarves Deep: The lost realm of Dareth is noted being north of Rashemen (but perhaps too far north touching the great glacier?)

Various named places in the Forgotten Realms Atlas by Karen Wynn Fonstad (based on Ed's own maps)

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  17:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not to edge in on Brian's thread, but I don't interpret his response above to mean "don't" give player-focused ideas--they can make good plot threads and might end up in a follow-up article. The more, the better.
That's a very good point. In recent months, some Backdrop articles (such as the Moonshae Isles) have been paired with accompanying player articles. If there is enough interest shown here, perhaps we'll see one for Rashemen as well.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  17:51:53  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, and Brian, how much time do we have to work on our ideas for this?
Suggestions between now and the beginning of February will help shape my outline, but the assignment is not due until the end of that month.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  17:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Brian, I want to first say that just about everything I know about Rasheman comes from NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer so I am not sure how much I could potentially contribute to this project.

What is the canon status of the video games for something like this? Are they canon if they get referrenced in another product or are they considered seperate always?
My view has always mirrored that of former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

So yes, I am very much interested in including events and lore from Mask of the Betrayer.

Edited by - Brian R. James on 31 Dec 2011 17:58:44
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  18:01:07  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Eric and Tom had write ups of Rashemi specific themes in their 2nd Realms bestiary

DEATH FEY IN FAERÛN
Death fey are the twisted result of Thayan magic and yet another attempt to harm Rashemen. Since their creation they have
spread far from their origins in the Unapproachable East.

SHADOWSTAVES IN FAERÛN
Shadowstaves are created by Mystra, Azuth, and now Savras from the souls of deeply loyal worshipers or a former Magister. Shadowstaves defend Aglarond and Rashemen against Thay.

WOOD MEN IN FAERÛN
Of all the nature spirits of Rashemen (for he is not known to exist anywhere else on Faerûn), the most powerful is the great
being known as the wood man. The wood man appears to defend Rashemen against foreign invaders. Most believe the Witches
of Rashemen are responsible for calling the wood man, while some few who are aware of the existence of the vremyonni,
believe these powerful male sorcerers are responsible for the calling.

There is some lore linked to Aldreth Fireshar from Dragon 213

From the Seven Sisters - Ottar's Mask (spell) known to the witches of Rashemen, but who Ottar is is unknown (Rashemi vremyonni?)

Cult of the Dragon: The Sorority of the Silver Fire part founded by Yhelfanna the Masked, a Rashemaar witch of the Hathran

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical: write up of the windwalker amulet and links to the Rus/Rashemi

Dwarves Deep: The lost realm of Dareth is noted being north of Rashemen (but perhaps too far north touching the great glacier?)

Various named places in the Forgotten Realms Atlas by Karen Wynn Fonstad (based on Ed's own maps)
All of this is fantastic. Thanks Damian!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  19:15:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are welcome Brian, was aiming for a few obscure references to spur the imagination.

It seems to me that two facets of magic jump out, the 'nature' route of fay and spirits - and the incantrix.

Looking at the original write up for the incantrix (Dragon 90) the 'witch' Alaertha was tested by the Council of the Mighty in long-ago Guldethym, which I believe is is south east Impiltur not that far from Rashemen is it possible that she was a hathran who wandered afar from home?

In terms of smoothing the land through the spellplague years a combination of nature focused magics (reparing/rebuilding/replanting the land) and the incantrix powers over other planer magic might make Rashemen a safer more stable place to be and aid the reasons why is has survived so well in the 15th Century DR?

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Dec 2011 20:41:27
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  20:40:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update from Ed on Ottar and his links with Rashemen

I bring you the first lore reply, of sorts, from Ed for 2012, regarding the identity of Ottar (of the "Ottar's Mask" spell).

Ed tells me that he still has to "crosscheck" on this one, but that Ottar is a shortening of the name of the human non-Rashemi wizard who taught many of the witches enhanced mastery of magic, long ago (and dwelt with them as a beloved teacher at the time).

More lore forthcoming when Ed can.

Oh, and Ed is VERY busy throughout January, generating "lots" of Realmslore for us all!
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Dec 2011 20:42:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  23:22:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The character Ususi in Darkvision purchased a wagon in Rashemen, IIRC. It was a gypsy-like affair (or one of those carts used by gnomes and/or halflings).

I had pondered upon this - I believe there is a gypsy-like offshoot of the Raumvari that travel about the lands settled by their more sedentary brethren (northern Steppes, and the Unapproachable East). The carts in the Darkvision story fit into this perfectly - if anyone is going to know how to make those old-world trailers (could there be such a thing as "Wagon-Trash? }, it would be a people who are descended from wanderers (nomads).

I just thought that using these (no name for them, as far as I know, except the RW 'Vardo') as something PCs might be interested in - it sure beats the hell out of horseback and sleeping on the ground while adventuring, like a mobile base-camp.

I'd also touch upon trade with Yaimmunahar, if that nation still exists. I for one would be greatly interested in knowing if things were ever smoothed-over between the two peoples.

Also, something about the Witches becoming even more powerful, after a brief stint of confusion post-plague. The 'old magic' would still work and with the closer proximity of the Feywild to Toril, the witches own nature-spirit magic should have gotten some sort of boost.

I'd also switch their main enemy to Narfel now - Thay has its own thing going on, and Narfel would be seen as the bigger threat at this point. I believe I wrote a fan-piece not too long ago, actually, about them becoming allies, but I don't see that going over big with most FR fans. I had it where the Durthan are now in-charge, and the Hathran remain 'hidden in plain sight'. Your call how dark you want it.

EDIT: And the witch-queen of Aglarond - the Simbul - got a lot of her training from the Wychlaran, so you may want to give that lore a nod (some ancient magic she left behind?) You should confer with Ed, of course, before deciding anything about the Simbul in 4e.

For real kick-in-the-head, how about using the 4e rules and doing a 'defiler magic' thing with them? Some sort of forbidden art that steals life-force (the last remnants of the Weave?) from the land itself. I'd also like to know what Liriel is up to.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2012 04:19:09
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  13:57:45  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two adventures I worked on for Living Forgotten Realms--"Incident at the Gorge of Gauros" and "What Storms May Come"--were set partially in Rashemen. You can find them at http://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/adventures.html
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  15:53:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel Bladesinger events took place in Rasheman, year 1374 DR if I remember properly. Unfortunately, little was really discussed about the area save for some information on "Old Ones" and the "Othlor".

Since some of the previous Backdrop articles feature magical items, how about some 4E representives of the Hathran masks, which provide some magical benefits (I'm thinking paragon level scaling) or possibly a consumable item Jhuild (aka firewine). I'd have to pilfer the Unapproachable East supplement to find some unique gems of the Region.

Also, I'm not sure what sort of monsters they've converted. I see they did a few Ice Trolls, which are common in the lands of Rasheman.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  16:26:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 on those early LFR modules that fall under canon. Shawn did a great job on them.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  22:29:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, just a few flavor things that come to mind offhand.
Halardrim is the language that names like Hathran, Othlor, vremyonni and wychlaran come from.

From spellbound pg 70 (this could prove interesting if a women has been wrongly "shorn")
Women of Rashemen wear their hair in long braids, with status accruing to women with the longest ones. A traditional punishment for faithless wives is the cutting off of braids, so short haired women are shunned by other Rashemaar.

What happened with the Vremyonni when the spellplague struck? I specifically ask because they are known as "the Old Ones" because they are "ancient male wizards, kept alive for eons by longevity magic".

Chauntea is called Bhalla, Mielikki is called Khelliara, and Selune took over as Mystra's position as "the Hidden one".

The durthan and the hathrans went to war against one another, but the spirits of the durthan still inhabit the erech forest. I have felt that the removal of the Durthan was one thing that was done wrong in the transition (not many people used the prestige class because it needed reworking just like the hathran got in the PGtF in 3.5 so it didn't require both divine and arcane classes, OR make the class more theurgist if the requirement for both classes needed to stay). Anyway, could it be that these Durthan spirits have been working with some darker fey to steal children and train them in the Durthan way? They wouldn't see this as wrong if they were seeing themselves as training a generation that could protect them from the encroachment of their neighbors.... after all the Hathran forcibly take children as well and make them study magic.

One thing I never really saw people really hit on in 3.5 is that the "witches" are not a unified class of spellcasters, and as such they probably had different training. In 3.5 I'd have seen its ranks containing clerics of each of the "three" goddesses, druids of Bhalla & Khelliara, spirit shamans, wizards, sorcerors, beguilers, fey-sourced warlocks, and even battlemages (maybe even wu-jen).... all might have been hathrans. I imagine in 4th edition, you could split it amongst similiar new classes which might have different societies.

Thay at one time had taken some unicorns and magically messed with them, producing the famous black unicorns. I imagine the wychlaran would have seen this as truly monstrous. What might they have done about it (if anything)?

Mulptan is the only place where outlanders are typically allowed to dwell/visit. Thasunta was known as the city of warriors because of all the berserker lodges there.

The early dreams of the red wizards actually had the witchboats patrolling Lake Mulsantir and they would often summon creatures to attack those who were doing something the witches didn't like. Perhaps they still perform this practice, with witches using magic to use scrying and guide the boats on patrols and activate stored summoning spells (or maybe the open portals and send troops through). Maybe the "boats" are actually a form of sentient construct and they can unleash spells as well.

Did Lady Yhelbruna survive the spellplague and is she still leading the wychlaran? Did she suffer any effects as a result of her longevity potions possibly no longer being around? Is she looking for a replacement? Is a replacement looking to replace her?

Yvengi was half Rus and half Rashemi.

The wychlaran were a "secret sisterhood created in the dying days of Raumathar to preserve the empires lore", so they definitely should have lore of the Raumathari Battlemages (who seemed to have a fascination with bastard swords). Is Jhuild actually a brew of ancient Raumathar?
The Rus showed up around the time the wychlaran formed up (did the wychlaran bring them?), and both took on Eltab who was ruling directly over Rashemen at the time.

Obviously, I'm just throwing out stuff to see if any of it sparks anything for you. If anything helped, glad to have done so.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  04:50:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just some other things. The bottom of Lake Ashane holds the bodies of many Tuigan lost in the battle of the lake of tears (29th Alturiak, 1366 DR), and during that battle the unmanned witchboats were again noted to hurl fire and lightning and summon beastly things (owlbears and winter wolves) amongst the enemy host. So, are the witchboats remotely controlled? Are they manned by telthor?

It seems the military of Rashemen are referred to as araunjar (or maybe its a name for their berserkers)

Oh, and I didn't mention it before, but Hathran bards should also be found within their ranks. Like the sorcerors, beguilers, warlocks, and battlemages.. they would be rarer because they see no utility in spirit magic (i.e. they spontaneously cast spells).

This brings to question.... how are the Rashemi magic traditions changed now? After all, the idea of spirit magic where the mage / priest / druid can draw upon "any spell they know while in the bounds of Rashemen", well, that's no longer as big a deal since most wizards / priests / druids know so few spells now that its pretty pathetic. For that matter, when the weave fell, what happened with circle magic? Can the witches even still cooperatively join their magics together? Other than running around with whips and hiding their faces behind masks, what makes the witches a different force from all other spellcasters now?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  09:00:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see more about place magic, rituals or spells empowered by ley lines or something

And more about the Rus mythology, especially the Tree or Nidhogg

And what's in the North Country
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  04:35:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also a short story set in Rashemen, which I rather liked - it was about a Kelpie - a monster-horse from Celtic folklore (it probably had a more Slavic name, since 'Kelpie' is already taken in D&D).

I think the story was Thieves Honor (IIRC), and it was in Realms of Infamy. There was also a Hathran - fun stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2012 04:37:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  05:07:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There was also a short story set in Rashemen, which I rather liked - it was about a Kelpie - a monster-horse from Celtic folklore (it probably had a more Slavic name, since 'Kelpie' is already taken in D&D).

I think the story was Thieves Honor (IIRC), and it was in Realms of Infamy. There was also a Hathran - fun stuff.

Aughisky, or something like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  05:43:14  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Gesundheit!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  06:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Wooly has the right of it -- Aughisky, or water horse. And it was indeed from the short story "Thieves' Honor" in Realms of Infamy. I remember directly, because it's one of my favourites from that anthology.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  16:23:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That anthology is actually way underrated - it is my favorite.

Small stories about minor characters (mostly), and yet, so rich with localized Realms detail. I got more locations and fluff (like stuff about Sossal - try finding anything about that place) from that one anthology then any series. I wish we had more like that - it was how the Realms were meant to be (IMHO); small stories about 'real' people, in an dynamic, fantasy environment.

Oh... and no Harpers.

{none that I recall, at any rate}

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2012 16:23:38
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  10:15:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reposting this from the Wizards boards, in case people wish to comment:

What may be interesting is to have a powerful plague-changed monster dwell in lake Musantir. It may well be one of the reasons why the Thayans have not conquered the north, since any approach by sea is wrecked by a magic-eating sea monster.

With lake Ashen being so cold and tied to fey, a, link to Auril (and/or her fey aspect) may be appropriate.

Finally, I have myself always been interested in the old Nar wars. Some info on Raumathari ruins, and the things that go on there. Maybe a sect of Nar have come there to recover old magic or free demons entrapped there, or the Spellplague actually freed these demons and the North is now a demon-infested/tainted place?
Barbarian forces may be stationed there to keep the occasional demon raid out, and Nar-descended tieflings or demon-tainted folk (potential theme/background?) may by not an uncommon occurrence there.
The Ring of Gray Flames may now be the Ring of Blue Flames.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 05 Jan 2012 11:59:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2012 :  19:19:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanding upon what Gomez suggests (if I may), why not have the Plague-changed 'Lake Monster' be something of an Exarch, that the Rashemi are now worshipping?

It stands to reason that if Thay doesn't want to attack Rashemen because of it, it must have a power-level that Szass tam would be wary of, so why not run with that?

'The Cult of the Lake-beast' might be something the Durthan - and perhaps even the Hathran (in need of new magical avenues after the Spellplague) - have embraced, and in exchange for worship (sacrifices?), the monster grants elemental/nature powers similar to those the witches had in the past.

Or, conversely, instead of something Plague-changed, why not have that just be the 'common consensus', and the 'lake Monster' actually be a vestige of some primordial that has 'crossed over' from Abeir? In fact, the Vestige could be possessing the Lake Monster (I am picturing a typical Elasmosaurus, with tentacles and a bit of the 'Dire' thing thrown-in).

I like the Auril angle, but perhaps leave it 'open-ended', where it could also be The Raven Queen trying to gain a foothold in the Realms? Or say the power behind it is Khala, and leave everyone guessing (is it Khala, or one of her successors answering to that name?).

Or maybe it's just Chernobog (Crnobog).

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2012 :  23:14:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a toning down of the overt (to my taste) Eastern European slant in the writings on Rashemen, a more in-depth look at the society of the place (where does it get its food from? Internal government/policing. Trade, etc. etc.) and most of all, an explanation of why the actual land of Rashemen is so "place-spirity". Again, for my taste, I would love it if the explanation had nothing to do with primordials, deities or anything extra-planar.

As for information, most of it has been covered already: I enthusiastically second crazedventurer's comment re the possible links between the witches and incantatrixes (it's one I first pondered on about twenty years ago). IMHO Raumathar will have to figure prominently in the "back-story" and be the possible font for all things as they currently are in the realm. Thinking about it, perhaps Rashemen is now, since the Spellplague, a 'tabula rasa'. All of its place magic and spirits erased but no Spellplague effects there either.

I write this without looking at the 4E book and its bit on Rashemen which I think I read on release and haven't looked at since. As such, some or all of the above may not tally with Brian's wiggle room on the project.

Anyway, best of luck and if you need a hand or someone to kibitz (I think that's the term), then I can be found in the normal e-mail place. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2012 :  20:59:22  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love some information on how the Feywild and Primal Spirits interact with Rashemen.

Perhaps the witches got help from the Fey and/or Primals in getting a hold of their magic again. Perhaps they now have a stronger connection to the spirits of nature, as well as places in the land having a stronger confluence. I would love to see Rashemen get even more of that Eastern Europe folk-lore feel it's got.

The vistas could be Feywild-esque, just achingly beautiful and vibrantly alive. And just as dangerous, perhaps. I think that it would be much more interesting if Rashemen is less influenced directly by the spellplague, but more influenced by the political changes, and things like the proximity of the Feywild.

Hamadryads amongst the Wychlaran, anyone?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000