Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sons of Gruumsh
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  01:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone managed to get their hands on it yet?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  02:07:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not as yet.

Do you know its Australian release date Dargoth?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Sep 2005 02:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  02:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently end of the Month they ordered it on Monday

the North American scribes will likely have it sooner

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  03:23:10  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt think it was released in the US yet.

James
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  03:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noble Knight Games seems to have copies, and I just ordered one, along with Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh and some magazines. (I note that the blurb sells the Realms as 'classic high fantasy', when Peter Archer said it was 'sword and sorcery', which is what I'd go with.)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  06:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Noble Knight Games seems to have copies, and I just ordered one, along with Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh and some magazines. (I note that the blurb sells the Realms as 'classic high fantasy', when Peter Archer said it was 'sword and sorcery', which is what I'd go with.)

Looks like you'll have the duty then

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  11:24:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall seeing today as the release date for this tome. I know I'll be looking for it as I'm out and about, mañana...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  14:31:13  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it got pushed back along with Magic of the Incarnum. There was a message posted on the WotC homepage saying that MotI was pushed back, and they usually like to penny pinch and ship everything together.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fane of the Drow (another September release) is out

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  15:21:23  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Paizo has it up to buy.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  23:57:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to an email from my FLGS, it's available now. So I'll have it tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  00:31:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to get this today but the comic guy didn't have it. :( He had Fane of the Drow and the modern book though but I only grabbed Fane. I guess he has to order me Sons.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  07:05:17  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could grab a copy today.

It has 32 pages with a nice cover painting but all black and white interiors. The inside art is very disappointing to me i must say (average photocopy quality).It's for level 4 characters.

The action mostly takes place in an old orc Bastion called XUL-JARAK (The gray citadel). The adventurer starts in the city of Melvaunt.

SPOILER....

- OROGs are used extensively.
- There is a full description of a fable artifact called the Hammer of Grummsh.
- The story is centered around an invasion of the moonsea region by an orc horde.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  08:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

It has 32 pages with a nice cover painting but all black and white interiors. The inside art is very disappointing to me i must say (average photocopy quality).It's for level 4 characters.

The action mostly takes place in an old orc Bastion called XUL-JARAK (The gray citadel). The adventurer starts in the city of Melvaunt.

SPOILER....

- The story is centered around an invasion of the moonsea region by an orc horde.

Pat

Im guessing the Hammer of Gruumsh is the weapon the Orog Warlord mini in Angelfire is using

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  09:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just ordered it online from EnWorld. Hope to have it by Thursday or Friday next week!

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  10:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

SPOILER....

Pat

Well met

Thank ye for the information, Patrakis, this is very useful. Tell me, are there any maps contained within?

Does you (anyone) plan on running this module soon? I'd appreciate ye posting herein with thy thoughts.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  16:49:40  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met,

SPOILER...

First, Dargoth, i cant guess at the origin of the Hammer. In the adventure, It does belong to an Orog named Thrull, a level 9 fighter.

Alaundo, the adventure does contain maps. A complete description of the Bastion called Xul-Jarak. The 2 above ground levels and the 4 dungeons levels.

If i can comment, i find the maps, to my taste, and like in all FR products, very uninspired and blend. But that is just me.

I cant comment on the adventure yet because i haven't found the time to read it. Let's just say i hope it is better than the packaging :)

Pat

Edited by - Patrakis on 10 Sep 2005 16:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  19:08:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got home from wandering... I picked up Sons of Gruumsh, but I'll not have time to flip thru it until later.

Those of you who have paid attention to my feelings of WotC artwork may find this line a bit shocking: I kinda like the cover art!

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  20:25:02  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Wooly, the cover art is the one exception about the packaging that i like.

Hey, we agree on something :)

JK

Pat

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  03:24:46  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just got home from wandering... I picked up Sons of Gruumsh, but I'll not have time to flip thru it until later.

Those of you who have paid attention to my feelings of WotC artwork may find this line a bit shocking: I kinda like the cover art!

Well Todd Lockwood did do the cover art. Unfortunately the interior art doesn't hold up, but then again, what would in comparision?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  05:35:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Well Todd Lockwood did do the cover art. Unfortunately the interior art doesn't hold up, but then again, what would in comparision?

Well, I've spent much time bemoaning the lack of really good artwork. Remember, I got into TSR stuff when they had Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, and Jeff Easley doing the exterior art, and Valerie Valusek doing some of the interior art. I think they've yet to return to that level of outstanding artwork.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  06:18:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I've spent much time bemoaning the lack of really good artwork. Remember, I got into TSR stuff when they had Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, and Jeff Easley doing the exterior art, and Valerie Valusek doing some of the interior art. I think they've yet to return to that level of outstanding artwork.
Indeed.

The works of both Elmore and Easley for the DL setting were part of the reason for the saga's early success as both a novel and game line.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Sep 2005 06:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was surprised to even find out that WOTC published a Forgotten Realms adventure! Regardless of the modules few short coomings let us hope it is one of the many new adventures that lay ahead. :)
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  04:06:23  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a very good read so far. The first part of the adventure gives a lot of good background on the city of Melvaunt. Mostly on the 5 major families that pretty much rule the place.

Perkins can do incredible things with a simple plot.

So far so good for me. I gettin in the citadel of Xul-Jarak right now :)

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  03:38:10  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed.

The works of both Elmore and Easley for the DL setting were part of the reason for the saga's early success as both a novel and game line.

I really enjoyed a lot of the early art for 3E - especially Lockwood's art, which I continue to enjoy today. I also am quite fond of Wayne Reynolds art - which is a shame since they snatched him up as the official artist of Eberron. I think his pictures, though a little cartoony, capture the high fantasy in both the core world and FR. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  04:51:31  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one big problem I can see with this adventure.
I don't know of too many parties that can play as a "commando" type force. And without that type of approach, I can very easily see a TPK with this adventure, or at least that is my take.

As to my own groups, we are very wishy-washy on how "stealthy" we can be. Every single cyber-punk campaign I have been in (as Player or GM) has resulted in an event that is visable from Orbit. And several of those people are in my D&D group.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  05:45:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Only one big problem I can see with this adventure.
I don't know of too many parties that can play as a "commando" type force. And without that type of approach, I can very easily see a TPK with this adventure, or at least that is my take.

Are we talking about Joey from Friends "commando"?

Well, I've not yet read the adventure... But I think that some parties are just more naturally suited to different approaches. The last time I played, our group was -- partially because of my minotaur warrior -- very much into the straight-forward approach. So adventures had to be adjusted to fit the group...

Would it be difficult to tweak the adventure to make it more survivable for those who don't sneak in (with or without underwear )?

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  09:02:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are we talking about Joey from Friends "commando"?

Well, I've not yet read the adventure... But I think that some parties are just more naturally suited to different approaches. The last time I played, our group was -- partially because of my minotaur warrior -- very much into the straight-forward approach. So adventures had to be adjusted to fit the group...

Would it be difficult to tweak the adventure to make it more survivable for those who don't sneak in (with or without underwear )?

Hard to say, since not far from the fortress that the party has into infiltrate there is a Orc Horde camped out.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  14:44:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, so it's Faerun Six: Covert Mage, then? Sweet, I will have to check it out. That would be a great adventure for my gaming group!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  02:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who have it a question

Where did they put the stats for the encounters/Rooms?

Did they leave them with the encounter or did they stick everything in the back like they did with COSQ (That is one thing that really ticks me off about COSQ)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2005 :  03:13:10  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI DArgoth

The NPCs and Villains are at the back of the adventure, exactly like in COSQ.

Pat

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000