Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Want to influence the design of Rashemen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  18:19:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There was also a short story set in Rashemen, which I rather liked - it was about a Kelpie - a monster-horse from Celtic folklore (it probably had a more Slavic name, since 'Kelpie' is already taken in D&D).

I think the story was Thieves Honor (IIRC), and it was in Realms of Infamy. There was also a Hathran - fun stuff.

I was trying to remember that too whenever I was writing up some of my earlier stuff. I liked it a lot because the witch in the story was NOT a goody goody. Someone would probably come back today and say she was a durthan. I don't remember a whole lot about the plot though, but it did stick in my head about the aughisky.

Aughisky, or something like that.

Wooly has the right of it -- Aughisky, or water horse. And it was indeed from the short story "Thieves' Honor" in Realms of Infamy. I remember directly, because it's one of my favourites from that anthology.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  18:27:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened with the hags of Rashemen? What about the hagspawn? What about the Bheur hags (spelling)?

What happened with the spirit folk of Rashemen? I can't recall offhand, but were they fey?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  21:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to begin writing the article in earnest in about a week. Just wanted to let you folks know that I appreciate the suggestions and am still reading this thread. :-)

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  00:10:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. Because I still haven't finished tinkering with me idea yet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  05:34:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of some sort of dungeon, myself... I'm thinking of a place that dates back centuries, perhaps to sometime before the Great Conflagration. Perhaps it's the remaining underground levels of a magical academy that's long-since vanished. The place is fill with all sorts of unique constructs, and some type of ooze/slime critter that eats ores and such and spits out nearly-refined metal. Of course, it's hard to explore the place, because it's never in the same location twice, and even if you can find it, the fact that some force animates weapons and causes them to "patrol" the dungeon makes exploration really tricky... It also doesn't help that this place sometimes disappears for years at a time, before popping back up at some random locale. It's almost like some unknowable intelligence is controlling this place; perhaps the entire dungeon is some sort of intelligence...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  06:07:38  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The character Ususi in Darkvision purchased a wagon in Rashemen, IIRC. It was a gypsy-like affair (or one of those carts used by gnomes and/or halflings).

I had pondered upon this - I believe there is a gypsy-like offshoot of the Raumvari that travel about the lands settled by their more sedentary brethren (northern Steppes, and the Unapproachable East). The carts in the Darkvision story fit into this perfectly - if anyone is going to know how to make those old-world trailers (could there be such a thing as "Wagon-Trash? }, it would be a people who are descended from wanderers (nomads).

Are these not the Gur? Besides the write up in Races of Faerun I have not come across many references of these folk in other products. It would be nice to have more detail on these gypsy-like nomads. (somehow I always see them as the gypsy in the movie Chocolat with J.Depp)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  07:09:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

The character Ususi in Darkvision purchased a wagon in Rashemen, IIRC. It was a gypsy-like affair (or one of those carts used by gnomes and/or halflings).

I had pondered upon this - I believe there is a gypsy-like offshoot of the Raumvari that travel about the lands settled by their more sedentary brethren (northern Steppes, and the Unapproachable East). The carts in the Darkvision story fit into this perfectly - if anyone is going to know how to make those old-world trailers (could there be such a thing as "Wagon-Trash? }, it would be a people who are descended from wanderers (nomads).

Are these not the Gur?
Pretty much. They're the Roma/gypsies of the Realms, as I recall Tom Costa once suggesting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  10:39:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, I've just some preliminary tidbits that might later form actual ideas for your article.

For the time being...

- History shapes a people's language. So, perhaps, some brief focus on the dead language Halardrim, and it's importance on the foundation [along with Raumvira] of the Rashemi language.

- Several vremyonni were caught during the Spellplague whilst crafting items of great magical power. Instead of imbuing the artifacts with arcane enchantments... strange effects somewhat reminiscent of spellscars [though not directly allowing the equivalency of Spellfire use] actually bind the spirits of these Old Ones into the artifacts themselves. Becoming sentient spellscarred-like magic items, they eventually gain much power [by tapping deeply into the vast well of elemental energy running through the very heart of the land] and great reverence [from the Rashemi and select wychlaran chosen to watch over them and tend to the needs of the spirits within]. It is said that these special vremyonni, while remaining the secret of Rashemen, are coveted by the few arcanists who have learned of them and seek to secure these items in a desperate hope of finding a new source for magic and recover from the ravages of the Spellplague.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jan 2012 10:43:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  16:04:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Brian, I've just some preliminary tidbits that might later form actual ideas for your article.

For the time being...

- History shapes a people's language. So, perhaps, some brief focus on the dead language Halardrim, and it's importance on the foundation [along with Raumvira] of the Rashemi language.

- Several vremyonni were caught during the Spellplague whilst crafting items of great magical power. Instead of imbuing the artifacts with arcane enchantments... strange effects somewhat reminiscent of spellscars [though not directly allowing the equivalency of Spellfire use] actually bind the spirits of these Old Ones into the artifacts themselves. Becoming sentient spellscarred-like magic items, they eventually gain much power [by tapping deeply into the vast well of elemental energy running through the very heart of the land] and great reverence [from the Rashemi and select wychlaran chosen to watch over them and tend to the needs of the spirits within]. It is said that these special vremyonni, while remaining the secret of Rashemen, are coveted by the few arcanists who have learned of them and seek to secure these items in a desperate hope of finding a new source for magic and recover from the ravages of the Spellplague.

Ooh, I like this one!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  16:36:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the time being...

This is a pretty good idea. Might be able to take it a little differently though to give a little more history of the region. Perhaps the vremyonni were imbuing items with the help of some telthor. Maybe they would bind telthor into items to give them sentience. I've always like the idea of magic weapons with a personality... I mean a real personality. Maybe it likes to sing. Maybe it likes to tell stories of ages past. Maybe it likes to reprimand its wielder about how stiff he's holding his sword and shield. In these cases, the items themselves don't necessarily have to be powerful. Just the fact that they're sentient and with a will of their own could be fun (almost like they're NPC's). Perhaps during the spellplague, instead of the telthor being combined, it was instead the vremyonni.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  00:39:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellscarred Werebears.

Thats all I'm sayin'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  01:02:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, thanks for inviting suggestions Brian. Very cool.

Also, no bitterness about 4e is intended in this particular post. And my thought is weakened by pondering the potential coolness of Markustay's spellscarred werebear idea. That could be kickbutt.

My thought was just that it would be neat if Rashemen remained an archetypal wilderness... a place where you hardly even realize that you're within the borders of a nation, once you get out of sight of the Huhrong's citadel. It's not about undoing the spellplague; I think DMs who like it can bring it into Rashemen to the extent that they wish to. But in the interest of bringing gamers both past and present together, it seems like "the land the Spellplague forgot" could be a spiffy thing. Plus, Rashemen is the place of raw natural power... it should (imho) remain so.

The 4e Campaign Guide entry for Rashemen doesn't seem to say anything about the spellplague. I'm not up to speed on other 4e Realmslore, so my bad if this isn't really possible. And I know I'm really late.

Anyway, thanks for being so open to player input.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  12:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding a little more to the thread: if you go to play a little with rules, I think that Themes to the Berserkers and the Witches will be a great plus!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  20:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright folks, I’m going to need you help with this one.

2nd-Edition - Spellbound: Urlingwood forest is shown to the east of the Ashenwood separated by the Running Rocks (hills). The village of Urling is shown to be southeast of the city along the road between Mulptan and Thasunta

3rd-Edition - Unapproachable East: Urlingwood has moved to a new, smaller forest northeast of the Ashenwood. The woodland previously known as Urlingwood is now unnamed. Also, the village of Urling has also moved far to the north roughly between Immilmar and Mulptan.

Has anyone come across any lore that explains the dramatic movement of Urlingwood/Urling between 2nd and 3rd edition?

Edited by - Brian R. James on 25 Feb 2012 20:54:32
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  00:09:11  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Has anyone come across any lore that explains the dramatic movement of Urlingwood/Urling between 2nd and 3rd edition?

Nothing official, but I'm a big fan of the "Macbeth" scenario... it would have been far easier to use in a 3e/4e discrepancy (the Spellplague animated the forest and it relocated for whatever reason you might desire), but that doesn't explain the relocation of the town... I think we're looking at an effect of the "shrinking" geography, which is the biggest reason I've been in favour of a reboot for 5e FR... shrinking the map was (imho) the biggest mistake made in 3e FR.

Sorry I don't have anything more constructive for you on this one; I'll keep working on it.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  02:08:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2nd-Edition - Spellbound: Urlingwood forest is shown to the east of the Ashenwood separated by the Running Rocks (hills). The village of Urling is shown to be southeast of the city along the road between Mulptan and Thasunta

3rd-Edition - Unapproachable East: Urlingwood has moved to a new, smaller forest northeast of the Ashenwood. The woodland previously known as Urlingwood is now unnamed. Also, the village of Urling has also moved far to the north roughly between Immilmar and Mulptan.

Hmmm. This sounds suspiciously like something I tried to reconcile with both George and Eric on the Wizards boards about four years ago.

I'll see if I can dig out the old thread I saved from that discussion to find any relevant and/or useful info.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  02:42:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not familiar with any, but an easy explanation could be that something happened in the general vicinity (maybe the reappearance of my wandering dungeon, hint hint ) that cause the folks to relocate.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  03:40:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmmm. This sounds suspiciously like something I tried to reconcile with both George and Eric on the Wizards boards about four years ago.

I'll see if I can dig out the old thread I saved from that discussion to find any relevant and/or useful info.

Not much luck, I'm afraid.

I like Wooly's suggestion above, though.

My own idea would be to simply suggest this as another instance of errors made by "Sembian cartographers and mapmakers or something," which should provide you with enough creative room to provide your own reasoning for the shifting wood.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  05:35:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not much luck, I'm afraid.

I like Wooly's suggestion above, though.

My own idea would be to simply suggest this as another instance of errors made by "Sembian cartographers and mapmakers or something," which should provide you with enough creative room to provide your own reasoning for the shifting wood.

I like this... but the question then becomes: Which mapmakers made the error?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  16:57:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, that's an interesting thing to note. I'll have to look at my maps when I get home to see if what I'm about to say even makes remote sense...... Perhaps unknown to the people outside Rashemen there is a fey gate that connects both forests, and as a result both are considered the urling wood.

As to the village of Urling... perhaps the witches don't just have "witch boats". Perhaps the witches also have "witch houses". Maybe these "witch houses" can grow legs and walk (no, not chicken legs)... maybe the village of Urling moves where its needed? The Raumathari after all were skilled in making constructs... so a construct house animated with the fey spirit of a telthor?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

doctorbadwolf
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  19:17:38  Show Profile Send doctorbadwolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's brilliant. Maybe instead of a portal it could be a handful of places that act like fey crossings, but connect the two woods, rather than lead to the feywild?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  21:49:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This article should have been published long before Richard's The Masked Witches. Regarding Urlingwood, I think Richard used the 3E reference. Though I have to reread that part in the novel to be sure.

And Sage, I like your thoughts on the male wizards of Rashemen.

If it's not yet too late, I'll return and share my own idea on this fabled land.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  22:31:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas Perhaps the witches also have "witch houses". Maybe these "witch houses" can grow legs and walk (no, not chicken legs)... maybe the village of Urling moves where its needed?

This has to be made canon and in the article - just brilliant.

Am definitely stealing this for my game

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  00:54:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wasn't that house with chicken legs featured in Daughter of the Drow from Rashemen?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:19:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Wasn't that house with chicken legs featured in Daughter of the Drow from Rashemen?

That was Baba Yaga's hut.

And I always loved Elaine's use of it in the books. I've a strange fascination with Slavic folklore, so I was intially both surprised and overjoyed by the reference.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:26:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And where did it come from? I was amused when I read that part in the book. Such rarity is a breath of fresh air.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  01:43:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine's read quite a lot about Slavic mythology, folklore and paganism. And she's often said that such aspects sometimes find their ways into stories she's writing.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  02:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright folks, I'm adding villages to the map of Rashemen and thought that this might make a good community project. So if you want to have a town/village name immortalized on a map, here's your chance. No lore necessary. I'm simply looking for names.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  03:06:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's fairly generic, but I've always had a Wood's Edge just outside the Cloak Wood in my Realms.

I know it's a far off locale from Rashemen, but I can see Wood's Edge being appropriate enough for a small named village somewhere around the Ashenwood, for example.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  04:48:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rupertville!

How about Whiteflame? Candles have flames, and white would be a prominent color in that part of the world... This is my way of suggesting a nod towards all of Candlekeep, without being too overt about it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000