Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Authors We Love to Hate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:19:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

And when you buy the book and you think it's total crap? Does your admiration still continue? Alot of jobs are hard, many never get the recognition they deserve.

That's a good question. I have read a few real stinkers, but I think there's a difference between the author and the book.

For example, if you watch a sport, a sportsman may have an awful day, make lots of mistakes and lose the game, but then the next time he'll play better.

Obviously, with a book the author's spent months writing it, and yet it may still strike the wrong note with me.

I think there's a difference between the process and the product here.

Absolutely. Writing something which will be well received by others is extremely hard to do. I think most people on Candlekeep would love to be able to write their own fantasy book (Realms or otherwise), but few of us would actually be able to do so.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:22:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by LastStand

Crappy book doesn't necessarily equal crappy author. I've read books that I found crappy but other books that I liked - both by the same author.

When I read a crappy book, I (completely) avoid the other books by the same author. The only exception is if it's a first-time author. I think everyone's entitled to one (a first) failure.

Yep i usually do the same. I'll give a new author 50-100 pages to grab my attention. There are too many books i would like to read to be wasting my time on something i am not enjoying.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:26:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*In my opening post on this thread I did not literally mean despising the actual author, just their work. I am sure there are many terrible authors who are sweethearts who do charity work, recycle, and hug their mothers.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  14:40:59  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Absolutely. Writing something which will be well received by others is extremely hard to do. I think most people on Candlekeep would love to be able to write their own fantasy book (Realms or otherwise), but few of us would actually be able to do so.

I have actually written a novel, but I fell at the 'getting an agent' hurdle. Most publishers aren't looking for new fiction at the moment, so although the agents I tried all said it was a good piece of writing, it was either not suited for the markets they work with or they know publishers are being cautious with new authors.

Hence my admiration for published authors. They've jumped a lot of hurdles to get to see their book on the shelf. So even if it's a stinker, it's still an achievement.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  15:39:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

I have actually written a novel, but I fell at the 'getting an agent' hurdle. Most publishers aren't looking for new fiction at the moment, so although the agents I tried all said it was a good piece of writing, it was either not suited for the markets they work with or they know publishers are being cautious with new authors.

Hence my admiration for published authors. They've jumped a lot of hurdles to get to see their book on the shelf. So even if it's a stinker, it's still an achievement.

Awesome! Did you write a Realms novel, other fantasy novel, or another genre entirely? Don't give up on getting that story published. I would imagine that timing is a critical factor for an author getting their work published. A "NO" today doesn't mean it won't be a "YES" tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  17:43:03  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Crappy book doesn't necessarily equal crappy author. I've read books that I found crappy but other books that I liked - both by the same author.

When I read a crappy book, I (completely) avoid the other books by the same author. The only exception is if it's a first-time author. I think everyone's entitled to one (a first) failure.

If I went with that reasoning I would never have read the Haunted Land Trilogy. I didn't like the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - although I didn't consider it crap...just didn't like it - but loved the Haunted lands.

That said I am very wary of reading a novel by an author when I previously read something of his and considered it 'crap'

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  23:35:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep i usually do the same. I'll give a new author 50-100 pages to grab my attention. There are too many books i would like to read to be wasting my time on something i am not enjoying.

Before, I'd give it until half of the book. But now, my limit is up to approximately 3 chapters only, or 50-100 pages. If the book fails to grab me by that time, then it would say hello to the trash bin.

Time is... gold.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2012 :  23:39:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If I went with that reasoning I would never have read the Haunted Land Trilogy. I didn't like the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - although I didn't consider it crap...just didn't like it - but loved the Haunted lands.

That said I am very wary of reading a novel by an author when I previously read something of his and considered it 'crap'

Lucky you, I guess.

I have one more exception to that rule of mine: if a very reliable person (usually a friend whose tastes in novels almost completely match mine) recommends the book.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  00:43:05  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Despise is a pretty harsh word. I would never despise an author just because i don't like his work. There is far too much effort and love that goes into writing a book for me to despise someone because i'm not keen to his writing style.

So i didn't vote for any.

But of all the fantasy author i know, it's with the writing of Ed Greenwood that i have the hardest time reading. Maybe because English is not my native tongue but some reason, Ed's books give me the most headaches.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  01:33:30  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted for Tairy.

BTW, I'm a little surprised at the Jordan-hate since I believe that his short comings as an author are shared by our beloved creator of the Realms and Tolkien himself--too many details, too little focus.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:42:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*In my opening post on this thread I did not literally mean despising the actual author, just their work. I am sure there are many terrible authors who are sweethearts who do charity work, recycle, and hug their mothers.

I assumed as much... The only authors I've ever met in person are Monica Hughes (Canadian juvenile sci-fi author from the 1970s and 1980s) and Jack Whyte (Canadian author of the Camulod Chronicles / A Dream of Eagles series and the Templar Trilogy), and both are/were (Ms Hughes passed away in 2003) wonderful people as well as amazing authors. I don't judge an author by their work any more than I would judge one of their books by its cover, if you'll pardon the literal re-appropriation of an overused metaphor.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 Jan 2012 09:45:06
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  09:53:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Voted for Tairy.

BTW, I'm a little surprised at the Jordan-hate since I believe that his short comings as an author are shared by our beloved creator of the Realms and Tolkien himself--too many details, too little focus.

Well, I'd say that puts Ed in excellent company, myself; I think the overdetailing and abundance of side-plots in Jordan's work was due to his publisher and editors trying to stretch out the series to as many volumes as possible... more books = more $... but that's my opinion, and I know that his later writing was affected by his illness as well; I'm also surprised by the number of votes for him, but in a way I can understand it; we've become a culture of instant gratification, and when we have to wait two or three years between books (or longer; see G. R. R. Martin), we get persnickety. My response to those folks is, if you want the book faster, you write it, and see if you do as well.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  14:22:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Hi,

Despise is a pretty harsh word. I would never despise an author just because i don't like his work. There is far too much effort and love that goes into writing a book for me to despise someone because i'm not keen to his writing style.

So i didn't vote for any.

But of all the fantasy author i know, it's with the writing of Ed Greenwood that i have the hardest time reading. Maybe because English is not my native tongue but some reason, Ed's books give me the most headaches.

Pat

Please note my earlier post below:

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  14:24:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Voted for Tairy.

Terry Goodkind or Brooks?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  14:27:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

I assumed as much... The only authors I've ever met in person are Monica Hughes (Canadian juvenile sci-fi author from the 1970s and 1980s) and Jack Whyte (Canadian author of the Camulod Chronicles / A Dream of Eagles series and the Templar Trilogy), and both are/were (Ms Hughes passed away in 2003) wonderful people as well as amazing authors. I don't judge an author by their work any more than I would judge one of their books by its cover, if you'll pardon the literal re-appropriation of an overused metaphor.

Yep. Along the same lines, there are many actors/actresses whom I love on screen and have heard they are absolute jerks in real life. Doesn't bother me at all as long as i enjoy their movie or role.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  14:28:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Voted for Tairy.

Well, I'd say that puts Ed in excellent company, myself; I think the overdetailing and abundance of side-plots in Jordan's work was due to his publisher and editors trying to stretch out the series to as many volumes as possible... more books = more $... but that's my opinion, and I know that his later writing was affected by his illness as well; I'm also surprised by the number of votes for him, but in a way I can understand it; we've become a culture of instant gratification, and when we have to wait two or three years between books (or longer; see G. R. R. Martin), we get persnickety. My response to those folks is, if you want the book faster, you write it, and see if you do as well.

I love Martin and have no problem waiting for his books, so long as they live up to my strict expectations for that series...which they all have so far

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  16:35:48  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome! Did you write a Realms novel, other fantasy novel, or another genre entirely? Don't give up on getting that story published. I would imagine that timing is a critical factor for an author getting their work published. A "NO" today doesn't mean it won't be a "YES" tomorrow.

It was a horror/dark fantasy novel with the premise 'great love leads to great sacrifice'. You know that song, 'if you love someone set them free'. The main character finds out that the girl he really loves is being controlled by a psychic vampire. In order to free her from that control, he has to betray her.

As for giving up. I have actually. It was a throw of the dice that didn't pay off. It was a good exercise, and I'm proud of it, but there are other things I'm writing, and my real-life career is currently very busy.

Apologies for going off topic.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  11:25:15  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how 12% can hate Tolkien. I mean he is pretty much the father of modern fantasy, his books are highly detailed and well written and he invented Elvish! If it wasn't for LOTR I would never have started reading fantasy in the first place and I am sure many others also fell in love with fantasy thanks to him.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  11:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really don't hate any of these or there work. There are a couple whom I haven't gotten into, but I wouldn't say it rises to the level of hate.

I do hate Stephanie Meyer's work with the passion of a thousand burning suns. It manages to be misogynistic and misandrist at the same time, to say nothing of the embarrasment to those stalwarts of the horror genre, the vampire and werewolf.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  15:24:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I don't see how 12% can hate Tolkien. I mean he is pretty much the father of modern fantasy, his books are highly detailed and well written and he invented Elvish! If it wasn't for LOTR I would never have started reading fantasy in the first place and I am sure many others also fell in love with fantasy thanks to him.

It just shows that no matter how popular an author may be, there are always those who will dislike their writing style.

I have seen a few "Best Fantasy Reading" sites where some of my favorite authors were verbally trashed. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  00:11:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Great" doesn't always mean "well-liked."

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  11:23:24  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

"Great" doesn't always mean "well-liked."

True enough. I am sure Darwin and Galileo would agree with that.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  11:30:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It just shows that no matter how popular an author may be, there are always those who will dislike their writing style.

I have seen a few "Best Fantasy Reading" sites where some of my favorite authors were verbally trashed. Doesn't bother me a bit.

In a way the more famous an author is the more detractors he/she will attract along with those who are loyal fans. So I suppose it makes sense if you think of it that way. Well each to his own.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  04:22:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

In a way the more famous an author is the more detractors he/she will attract along with those who are loyal fans. So I suppose it makes sense if you think of it that way. Well each to his own.

That's often the case. Look at Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer. The number of their detractors almost equal to that of their loyal fans.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  11:40:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few of these I have read and not liked. Quite a few I never bothered with. But Tolkien wrote the Hobbit (and gave us books for the Bakshi LotR) and Anthony is a guilty pleasure at times.

As I said, I will never give most of these another try, but Lewis actually bothers me, both as a writer and his ideas, so I will go with him.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  13:46:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's often the case. Look at Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer. The number of their detractors almost equal to that of their loyal fans.

Yep. I absolutely loved some of Stephen King's earliest books (Cujo, The Shining, Salem's Lot) but I would have to have a gun pointed at my head to read any of his newest works. I think it's safe to say that i will pass on Meyer as well. I do, however, plan on reading all of the Harry Potter books someday.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  17:11:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep. I absolutely loved some of Stephen King's earliest books (Cujo, The Shining, Salem's Lot) but I would have to have a gun pointed at my head to read any of his newest works. I think it's safe to say that i will pass on Meyer as well. I do, however, plan on reading all of the Harry Potter books someday.

I am in a similar situation. I like some of King's earlier stuff, particularly 'Salem's Lot. I read a lot of his books, and gradually got tired of recurring elements (Big Bill, the overweight wife, the artist character, etc) and very much got tired of his writing style (unnecessary profanity and sex*, mostly, but things like the run-on sentence from Hell in the Walking Tours part of It also bugged me). The last new book I read was Dreamcatcher, and not only did the story and characters not grab me, I felt like it was a mashup of some of his previous stuff (seriously, how many extraterrestrials can come to Maine?). And that was it for me and anything new by Stephen King.

I've also disliked some of the stuff I've read before that, as well. I hated The Dark Tower and Misery, for example.

As for Stephanie Meyer, I've heard enough about the series to insure my disinterest. Besides which, I'm not a fan of vampire fiction, in general, other than a few books, like Vampire of the Mists, Dracula, and the previously-mentioned 'Salem's Lot.

*I've no problem with sex and profanity in fiction, so long as it fits the plot and the characters. In some of King's stuff, I've felt that the sex and profanity detracted from the plot, rather than add to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  17:31:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I am in a similar situation. I like some of King's earlier stuff, particularly 'Salem's Lot. I read a lot of his books, and gradually got tired of recurring elements (Big Bill, the overweight wife, the artist character, etc) and very much got tired of his writing style (unnecessary profanity and sex*, mostly, but things like the run-on sentence from Hell in the Walking Tours part of It also bugged me). The last new book I read was Dreamcatcher, and not only did the story and characters not grab me, I felt like it was a mashup of some of his previous stuff (seriously, how many extraterrestrials can come to Maine?). And that was it for me and anything new by Stephen King.

I've also disliked some of the stuff I've read before that, as well. I hated The Dark Tower and Misery, for example.

As for Stephanie Meyer, I've heard enough about the series to insure my disinterest. Besides which, I'm not a fan of vampire fiction, in general, other than a few books, like Vampire of the Mists, Dracula, and the previously-mentioned 'Salem's Lot.

*I've no problem with sex and profanity in fiction, so long as it fits the plot and the characters. In some of King's stuff, I've felt that the sex and profanity detracted from the plot, rather than add to it.

Maine does seem to have an extraordinary amount of weird events happening to it in King's fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  20:19:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Maine does seem to have an extraordinary amount of weird events happening to it in King's fiction.

I've sometimes wondered if the Maine Tourism Board has asked him to set stories elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  20:27:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've sometimes wondered if the Maine Tourism Board has asked him to set stories elsewhere.

Visit Maine! Come and see all we have to offer, including: Killer Clowns, Monstrous Dogs, and a parasite which makes you crap out an alien! Tell your friends!

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 10 Feb 2012 22:04:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000