Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most Iconic D&D Monster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  15:43:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What do you think is the most iconic Dungeons & Dragons monster/race of all time? If your choice is not listed please let us know.

Choices:

Dragon
Beholder
Displacer Beast
Drow Elf
Lich
Mind Flayer
Giant (any)
Demon/Devil (any)
Naga
Mythical (centaur, minotaur, etc)
Orc
Other (please explain)

(Anonymous Vote)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 11 Mar 2015 16:43:53

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:01:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lich, of course.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:13:23  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone for beholders, since Eye of the Beholder, I have, somehow seen them like the D&D trademark creature. Also they were difficult as hell to kill in Baldur's Gate, and the battles against them are the most I remember the most

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also picked beholder because as far as I know it's the only true D&D creation on the list. Dragons may be my favorite and they are included in the title of the game for that matter, but they most certainly didn't start here.

For the same reason I wouldve picked illithids had they been there.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:26:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I also picked beholder because as far as I know it's the only true D&D creation on the list. Dragons may be my favorite and they are included in the title of the game for that matter, but they most certainly didn't start here.

For the same reason I wouldve picked illithids had they been there.

Totally forgot about Illithids

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:53:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons. It is, after all, Dungeons & Dragons. Hard to get more iconic than having the game named after you.

I've also pointed out before that out of all of the many, many critters that have been created for D&D, the most common types are dragons and undead. I've seen so many new/redone types of draconic species that it's not funny, and someone is constantly dreaming up yet another type of undead. It's so ridiculous that there's prolly some undead critter described that forms when someone dies with the hiccups while simultaneously being shot by a kobold firing squad and buried under an avalanche of banana pudding.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  16:59:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Dragons. It is, after all, Dungeons & Dragons. Hard to get more iconic than having the game named after you.

I've also pointed out before that out of all of the many, many critters that have been created for D&D, the most common types are dragons and undead. I've seen so many new/redone types of draconic species that it's not funny, and someone is constantly dreaming up yet another type of undead. It's so ridiculous that there's prolly some undead critter described that forms when someone dies with the hiccups while simultaneously being shot by a kobold firing squad and buried under an avalanche of banana pudding.

Duh, it's called the Necrobanakobhiccuptovenger.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:04:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beholder for me as well. Every Fantasy setting has it's Dragons, and even Liches (even if they aren't called that) are old hat now; you see either one and many things come to mind, but when you see a Beholder you think of D&D, and nothing else. The rest (except for maybe the Displacer Beast) are also pretty generic.

Which makes me now re-evaluate my negative opinion towards aberrations.

Good thread... it made me think.

*Edited for bad-wording.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Sep 2011 19:25:53
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:38:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with the beholder as well. I can still picture it clearly on the cover of one of the first Monster Compendium's that i purchased. I think it was Easley who drew that one too :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:40:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Wooly said, it's called Dungeons & Dragons.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

rhune
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:50:01  Show Profile Send rhune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beholder here as well. Did Easley do the cover of the 2nd Edition Monster's Manual?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:51:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Like Wooly said, it's called Dungeons & Dragons.

This can easily be changed to Dungeons & Rust Monsters

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:52:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rhune

Beholder here as well. Did Easley do the cover of the 2nd Edition Monster's Manual?

Yes i am pretty sure he did the cover for the large hardback Monstrous Manual.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  17:54:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the Beholder as well. It literally is licensed by Dungeons and Dragons (ie. no one can have one unless it's a D&D product). Also, I've never seen one outside of a D&D reference or context, so that's pretty Iconic to me.

Dragons are a very close second because one often things about the game in reference to the mythical creature. But it's too broad and generalized to be linked directly to Dungeons and Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  18:14:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I went with the Beholder as well. It literally is licensed by Dungeons and Dragons (ie. no one can have one unless it's a D&D product). Also, I've never seen one outside of a D&D reference or context, so that's pretty Iconic to me.

You won't see illithids outside D&D, either.

Beholders are Medusa-experiments gone awry.

I thought the question was favorite D&D monster. Can I change my vote and give the illithids and the beholders a tie?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  18:59:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a very beholder-ish critter that pops up briefly in Big Trouble in Little China.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of that as well, and have used it in another argument on another site (on the Paizo site, trying to prove how other companies CAN use non-OGL monsters because they can prove TSR did NOT protect their IPs in the past, and they are therefor now in the public domain).

Besides, you can only copyright the name of a creature, not the idea of it. That's why companies can re-write other companies rule-books and get away with it (game systems cannot be copyrighted - there are even unlicensed 4e products that take this approach).

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

You won't see illithids outside D&D, either.
So you've never seen Cthulhu, Davey Jones from the PotC movie, or most closely, the Ood from Doctor Who?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Sep 2011 19:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  20:40:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's a very beholder-ish critter that pops up briefly in Big Trouble in Little China.

EXCELLENT reference

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  20:43:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tricky issue, Markus. The original artwork for mind flayers was inspired the cover art from a Brian Lumley novel about the Cthulhu Mythos; one might present convincing arguments that D&D instead violated Lovecraft's iconic IP.

I think the safest route is to follow the dictates outlined in the SRD and OGL, although WotC doesn't apply them to 4E they haven't technically expired and still define what was and what wasn't Wizbro D&D IP. Companies can and do skirt the legal line, I think many do capitalize on D&D's legally iconic content, such trespass is probably tolerated as too insignificant for Wizbro to bother prosecuting (law ain't cheap) ... but just because such companies exist and openly sell such products (and Wizbro has thus far done little to punish offenders) doesn't mean that they are legal by any means. Building business on shaky legal foundations is criminal by definition. Declaration of license or patent or ownership are only the beginning; they are utterly meaningless unless you are willing (and able) to bring violators into courtrooms to enforce these legal dictates; no police or detectives will search for such violations unless you pay them, no crime is recognized until the victim steps forward with accusations.

I'm not a lawyer, just a fan. But it seems to me that companies who skim Wizbro's revenue will be (and have been) punished once they take too much. Fan content (that is, noncommercial) is generally immune from legal attack, but at the same time it's also entirely open to Wizbro ownership: ie, they could in theory just rewrite the book you've written, stamp their legal brands onto it, then issue a legal imperative for you to cease "pirating" copies of their product. Incidentally, I'm not trying to vilify Wizbro here; but in the end they are a business and not a charity, they must do what they must do to survive; we are actually lucky that WotC purchased TSR ... D&D could've just as easily disappeared into oblivion.

I note that the Star Trek franchise is owned by Paramount and CBS (it's complicated) ... but Paramount has actually "licensed" a great deal of leeway with private individuals and groups who wish to develop fan content. They still require that you approach them legally, of course, but they are nonetheless surprisingly accomodating of (noncommercial) fan-made fiction and films based on their franchise holdings. I wonder if such a thing is possible with Wizbro; we might often assume the evil faceless megacorporate will automatically deploy lawyers who scream "NO!" when such may in actuality not always be the case.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Sep 2011 21:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  21:46:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goblins.

Players have to start somewhere...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  21:47:17  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say beholder. They're just that distinctive.
To me, dragons don't count, because they were around long before D&D, as were a fair number of the others, though sometimes under different names.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  21:54:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dragon.

its in the name...

otherwise its a toss up between the beholders and the dragons.

though in some cases the powers of cthulu's dnd minions

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  22:29:17  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must vote for dragons for this one, not only because it is in the name, but because it is what most new players want to fight at some point. Nobody outside of d&d players/novel readers know what a beholder or an illithid is. Shouldn't that be taken into account to determine which monster is the most iconic?

Saying that beholders are the icon of D&D, when most people know what D&D is but almost nobody knows what a beholder is... doesn't make much sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  23:09:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm inclined to agree.

Though, I'd say both orcs and giants run a close second, as they're among the most other iconic D&D races most often depicted "fighting the heroic warrior type."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  23:19:17  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Must vote for dragons for this one, not only because it is in the name, but because it is what most new players want to fight at some point. Nobody outside of d&d players/novel readers know what a beholder or an illithid is. Shouldn't that be taken into account to determine which monster is the most iconic?

Saying that beholders are the icon of D&D, when most people know what D&D is but almost nobody knows what a beholder is... doesn't make much sense to me.

What is so special about a dragon? You seem them in 99% of fantasy literature. Beholders and Mind Flayers are found in only one place.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  23:30:26  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

What is so special about a dragon? You seem them in 99% of fantasy literature. Beholders and Mind Flayers are found in only one place.

I don't agree with this argument. There are hundreds of creature unique to d&d that few cares about, and we don't call them iconic. I think a beholder or a mind flayer is much more cool and original than a flaming red dragon, but more iconic? Nope, not at all.

Edited by - Kilvan on 24 Sep 2011 14:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  00:13:25  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Dungeons and Dragonspretty much says iconic to me.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  06:05:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon Masters.

Also part of the Dungeons & Dragons name. Fearsome creatures indeed. Often copied by other RPGs, usually named Game Masters or Referees or whatever to avoid IP trespass ... but none of these imitations truly captures to true essence of what a proper D&D Dungeon Master can inspire.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Sep 2011 06:06:39
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  10:23:55  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose beholder because it sticks out the most in my mind, and I found them fascinating. Its for sure the most iconic creature that was entirely invented for D&D, most of the others were taken from past mythologies. Beholders (and displacer beasts, but I don't really think they are iconic) are truley unique to D&D. They came from D&D and exist in other media like Heroes of Might and Magic, and possibly elsewhere I don't know about!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  10:37:40  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I chose beholder because it sticks out the most in my mind, and I found them fascinating. Its for sure the most iconic creature that was entirely invented for D&D, most of the others were taken from past mythologies. Beholders (and displacer beasts, but I don't really think they are iconic) are truley unique to D&D. They came from D&D and exist in other media like Heroes of Might and Magic, and possibly elsewhere I don't know about!

Also in the King's Bounty saga you can find two classes of Beholders.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 24 Sep 2011 10:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2011 :  14:22:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Uh.... If it exists elsewhere, it's not unique to D&D.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000