Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Authors We Love to Hate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  21:32:15  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly, although I tend to agree with the Wooly One regarding most of King's work (save for Salem's Lot- HATED it!!) I did enjoy The Cell. It was creepy, without being too clichee. the only newer one of his that I've really liked. However, I didn't care for the Dark Tower series, and my favorite book of his wasn't even horror, it was his foray into fantasy, Eyes of the Dragon!

Meyer, I won't even go into- I'm too much of a purist of vamp lore to EVER take her seriously, and besides, the idea of some teen girl pining away over her absentee, stalker boyfriend and then getting prego by him and having the baby even after being told it will kill her is NOT my cup of tea. To say nothing of the "sparkle" issue.... I TRIED reading the first book- got about two chapters in and wanted to put a bullet in Bella's head. not to mention rip out Eddie's fangs for being such a whimp vamp! (rolls eyes)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  23:26:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Oddly, although I tend to agree with the Wooly One regarding most of King's work (save for Salem's Lot- HATED it!!) I did enjoy The Cell. It was creepy, without being too clichee. the only newer one of his that I've really liked. However, I didn't care for the Dark Tower series, and my favorite book of his wasn't even horror, it was his foray into fantasy, Eyes of the Dragon!

It's been my experience that Eyes of the Dragon is not overly well-liked by King fans. Me, I really enjoyed it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  02:12:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Maine does seem to have an extraordinary amount of weird events happening to it in King's fiction.

He was asked in an interview why he's fond of using Maine as the setting of some of his novels. And he said, other than because it gave the novels some connection (however loose), he'd familiarized every nook and cranny of the place, which enabled him to make his stories sound as close to truth as he wanted them to be.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:47:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Maine does seem to have an extraordinary amount of weird events happening to it in King's fiction.

He was asked in an interview why he's fond of using Maine as the setting of some of his novels. And he said, other than because it gave the novels some connection (however loose), he'd familiarized every nook and cranny of the place, which enabled him to make his stories sound as close to truth as he wanted them to be.

That does make a certain amount of sense... Still, since all of the towns were made up, anyway, and only rarely was the outside world all that important, then he still could have set those towns nearly anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  11:52:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

quote:

I don't see how 12% can hate Tolkien. I mean he is pretty much the father of modern fantasy, his books are highly detailed and well written and he invented Elvish! If it wasn't for LOTR I would never have started reading fantasy in the first place and I am sure many others also fell in love with fantasy thanks to him.

It just shows that no matter how popular an author may be, there are always those who will dislike their writing style.

I have seen a few "Best Fantasy Reading" sites where some of my favorite authors were verbally trashed. Doesn't bother me a bit.

In a way the more famous an author is the more detractors he/she will attract along with those who are loyal fans. So I suppose it makes sense if you think of it that way. Well each to his own.

That's often the case. Look at Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer. The number of their detractors almost equal to that of their loyal fans.

Yep. I absolutely loved some of Stephen King's earliest books (Cujo, The Shining, Salem's Lot) but I would have to have a gun pointed at my head to read any of his newest works. I think it's safe to say that i will pass on Meyer as well. I do, however, plan on reading all of the Harry Potter books someday.

Feel free to try out the Harry Potter books,they are good for a light read.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  12:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That does make a certain amount of sense... Still, since all of the towns were made up, anyway, and only rarely was the outside world all that important, then he still could have set those towns nearly anywhere.

In my experience, he could not have.

King conveys a very unique sense of place, culture and history in his stories set in Maine. If they were set somewhere else, it would not make sense for northern New Englanders partially descended from French loggers to be there.

The best writing makes a place and its people come to life. King does that for Maine, but I doubt he could do that with places he had never been and didn't know the people or culture.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  15:10:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I do, however, plan on reading all of the Harry Potter books someday.

Agreed.

Rowling is one of the very few authors whose readership include almost all age groups.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:34:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't see how 12% can hate Tolkien. I mean he is pretty much the father of modern fantasy, his books are highly detailed and well written and he invented Elvish! If it wasn't for LOTR I would never have started reading fantasy in the first place and I am sure many others also fell in love with fantasy thanks to him.

It just shows that no matter how popular an author may be, there are always those who will dislike their writing style.

I have seen a few "Best Fantasy Reading" sites where some of my favorite authors were verbally trashed. Doesn't bother me a bit.

In a way the more famous an author is the more detractors he/she will attract along with those who are loyal fans. So I suppose it makes sense if you think of it that way. Well each to his own.

That's often the case. Look at Stephen King and Stephenie Meyer. The number of their detractors almost equal to that of their loyal fans.

Yep. I absolutely loved some of Stephen King's earliest books (Cujo, The Shining, Salem's Lot) but I would have to have a gun pointed at my head to read any of his newest works. I think it's safe to say that i will pass on Meyer as well. I do, however, plan on reading all of the Harry Potter books someday.

I plan on it. Have the Potter books been released in Mass Market Paperback format? I haven't been able to find any.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  16:55:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In my experience, he could not have.

King conveys a very unique sense of place, culture and history in his stories set in Maine. If they were set somewhere else, it would not make sense for northern New Englanders partially descended from French loggers to be there.

The best writing makes a place and its people come to life. King does that for Maine, but I doubt he could do that with places he had never been and didn't know the people or culture.

He has written stories set elsewhere, though. And since his stories usually focus on either a small group, or even a whole town, it's the town itself that matters, not where it is.

So he has set stories elsewhere, and he can do it again, if he wants to.

I live in Florida. I've read a lot of Stephen King. And from what I've seen, his passing references to large cities or historical groups can easily be swapped out. I've actually been to Maine, and the only way I know that most of his stories are set there is because it says so within the text. I've never felt that I was reading about a particular region, and his books didn't make me recognize anything about Maine when I was there.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  17:25:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have the Potter books been released in Mass Market Paperback format?

Yes. There's even a boxed set already.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  19:33:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Damn. I have seen the Trade Paperback one, but never the Mass Market size

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:53:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Damn. I have seen the Trade Paperback one, but never the Mass Market size

If you can still find it, I would also recommend The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It contains five 'fairy tales' that are actually based on true events. True in the Harry Potter world only, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  23:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a hardcover edition of Beedle the Bard that I think is unlikely to go out of print anytime soon. I read them to my son when he was in the womb. Now that he is beginning to enjoy being read to (at 5 months old), I should read them to him again. =)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  23:40:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

There is a hardcover edition of Beedle the Bard that I think is unlikely to go out of print anytime soon. I read them to my son when he was in the womb. Now that he is beginning to enjoy being read to (at 5 months old), I should read them to him again. =)

Try to get your son hooked on Fantasy early!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  00:20:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what my dad did.

I found his stash of Playboys.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  01:41:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats what my dad did.

I found his stash of Playboys.

You just read the articles though correct?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  02:30:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Playboys? Is that the magazine where boys play with each other?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  03:13:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think we've deviated from the scroll's topic for long enough.

Let's get back to discussing authors, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  04:39:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL Sage - can't Hugh Hefner count as an 'author we love to hate'?

And yes, I did indeed read the articles.

But to go back to that last comment of entreri's - YES, I did start my own boys early, on both fantasy & games, and they are still avid gamers and fantasy buffs. The two older ones used to play D&D with me, and I am hoping to play with the two younger ones soon.

I think having an active imagination is very important in developing a young mind, and kids mimic their parents, so I made sure mine always saw me reading something. I don't care if they don't like the exact same stuff I do - I just want to make sure they don't set themselves limits. Fantasy & Scify helps people wrap their minds around problems in ways most folks can't, and that freedom of expression and ability to think outside the box is a quality you just can't put a price on.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Feb 2012 04:48:31
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:04:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i got my younger brother started on sci fi first.( The adventures of young boba fett) but we are big Star wars fans in my family. we only started reading fantasy after seeing Fellowship of the Ring.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  14:21:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am pleased to see that Steven Erikson received 0 votes since I am contemplating starting his Malazan series very soon. Can anyone who has read the series give me any insight on how smooth (or easy to learn) the transition is while learning all of the characters/setting? I love Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and thought the "learning curve" for that series wasn't too bad at all. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  12:36:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I haven't read all the books, but the ones I did were good enough for one- or two-time read, except the many fillers and ridiculous names.

The system of magic is nice. Character development is fine; and some character backgrounds are exceptionally done. The gods are a different story, though--- they can be punched near-unconscious by "common" soldiers.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  17:33:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually don't prefer for fantasy names to be too crazy (it bothers me if i have to sound it out in my head the first time i see it), but I have heard great things about this series and am excited to start it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  21:37:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They're not published in chronological order. That's one of the reasons I read it out of order. Though I guess it's still better to start with Gardens of the Moon.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  13:57:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that is the first book I have by Erikson. If i enjoy it then i will purchase the next few books in the series. I read Esslemont's Malazan book Night of Knives and thought it was ok, nothing special though.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  14:36:52  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night of Knives was more of a short story for the fans. Obviously its not something that I would recommend to a newcomer. Start with gardens of the moons but personally i much preferred Deadhouse Gates.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  14:46:09  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't read all the books, but the ones I did were good enough for one- or two-time read, except the many fillers and ridiculous names.

The system of magic is nice. Character development is fine; and some character backgrounds are exceptionally done. The gods are a different story, though--- they can be punched near-unconscious by "common" soldiers.

Yeah I can understand that he has a whole "Dear Gods, don't mess with mortals" type of philosophy but I think he takes it a bit to far. Like you said his " gods" often get beaten by common soldiers and this makes it hard for you to take them seriously.
I mean i love Elminister but even at the height of his powers would he been able to overpower say Bane. Not really.
A god that weak commands no respect and without respect how can he inspire faith?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:41:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

I had to go with other & that other is Anne McCaffrey.

Two of my close friends have been bugging me to read her books. But having heard that her books are usually about dragons, no thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:19:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

I had to go with other & that other is Anne McCaffrey.

Two of my close friends have been bugging me to read her books. But having heard that her books are usually about dragons, no thanks.

Her dragons are utterly unlike any other fantasy dragons. They fly and breathe fire, and they are intelligent, but other than that, they're not much more than exotic mounts. They were, in fact, bred to replace one-man aircraft that were wearing out.

Dragons are prominent in the series, but they're not really characters, and the series is much more about their riders and the other people of Pern.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:32:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Like the Valheru's mounts?

Still, the various blurbs and reviews I read failed to endear those books to me...Not to mention those two close friends often happen to like the books that I read and (vehemently) dislike (The Purifying Fire by Laura Resnick, among many others).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000