Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Authors We Love to Hate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  15:06:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why would I want to transplant a background?

Characters often define the story. A tsunami swallowing an entire nation [empty of people because everyone has already gone on an exodus to another country] might be fascinating to watch. But the story would be far more interesting if we get to see some people stranded or unwilling to leave. [Which by the way, reminds me of the cho-ja in Feist's Wrath of a Mad God.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  15:17:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

When you can travel to other worlds, planes, cities on mountaintops at altitudes ABOVE the atmosphere (Majipoor) and beneath the sea, learn spells at the local mage school and exchange blows with a dragon or two, you let me know, okay?

As a DM of 30+ years, I find I am given creative 'seeds' far more often by the backdrop then by the characters - different strokes for different folks.

Not that I don't enjoy a book about interesting characters - who wouldn't? But when the setting is very cookie-cutter it serves little purpose, and those same characters can be dropped into any setting, which defeats the purpose of the fantasy genre, IMHO.

Drizzt would be at home alongside the three Musketeers, as a Nubian transplanted to Europe and raised as a gentleman, with a pair of rather unique antique swords. Luke Skywalker would be fine in the Realms, learning from his goblin (Blue or Xvart) master the art of psionics, wielding his flaming sword. Indiana Jones or the guy from The Mummy would do just fine dumped into Mulhorand, or just about anyplace else with ruins (meaning, ANY fantasy RPG setting). And Sherlock Holmes would have no problem living in Watereep solving "The Shadowmastiff of the Baskerhorns".

Characters can be transplanted - background, not so much. In the fantasy & scify genre, its the great world-builders who get the accolades.

I think you need BOTH memorable characters & an imaginative setting to have a sucessful fantasy story. Having only one or the other doesn't work for me.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  15:28:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the fantasy & scify genre, its the great world-builders who get the accolades.

Says who? They surely won't get those "accolades" from me!

I can live with a "mediocre" setting but with a bunch of fantastic characters. Weeks comes to mind. As I noted before, I'm not impressed with his world-building. [Didn't Time say Weeks's world-building is "weak?"] But he's great at crafting interesting characters, even though he ended up killing them off.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  15:45:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

In the fantasy & scify genre, its the great world-builders who get the accolades.

Says who? They surely won't get those "accolades" from me!

I can live with a "mediocre" setting but with a bunch of fantastic characters. Weeks comes to mind. As I noted before, I'm not impressed with his world-building. [Didn't Time say Weeks's world-building is "weak?"] But he's great at crafting interesting characters, even though he ended up killing them off.

Yeah Weeks' worlds don't inspire vivid scenes in my mind, but his characters are fantastic and real.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  19:08:12  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And strangely, the 'most uber' character in any book I read - Nathan Brazil - was one of the most likable, simply because with all his power, he hardly did anything at all (and didn't expect anyone's pity). The dude literally had the ability to hit the 'off switch' on the universe itself. But he inspired pity anyway, on a much deeper level (picture Tom Hanks character at the end of The Green Mile, and magnify that a trillion-trillion fold).

This is an excellent example. Chalker's only lemon, to me, was the Changewinds series. But any and all things Nathan Brazil are worth the read. There was even a Midnight at the Well of Souls role-playing game, once upon a time.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  12:33:55  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
after I started GM-ing world-building become more important, still not more than the story or characters

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  04:21:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As one actor said, "Eden without Adam and Eve is boring." And I would add the snake to that.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  12:32:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As one actor said, "Eden without Adam and Eve is boring." And I would add the snake to that.

Yep, and without the fruit and trees and such they would just be hanging around in the nude.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  13:57:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the 60's.

And Adam was VERY boring - a regular "goody-two-shoes", and Eve wasn't much better. Without the snake, no-one would ever bother read that story. Now Lilith, there was a fascinating character - too bad they leave her out of most versions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Nov 2011 13:59:36
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  14:30:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps that should be rephrased to: "Eden without Adam and Eve is far more boring." A book with a wonderful setting but bland characters is ultimately...boring. Now how much more if the setting itself is also boring.

Go to Top of Page

Huerin Illance
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  22:09:56  Show Profile Send Huerin Illance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ED GREENWOOD

Hands down! The latest book, "Bury Elminster Deep" is awful. I offer this as my opinion, but the worst part about it is that "Bury Elminster Deep" is allegedly the type of novel that the author *HIMSELF* doesn't even like!

quote:

Orignally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. Merrith, right on! Ed and I both dislike fantasy books where novices on a quest unerringly find their way across a continent to where they have to get, and various characters "just happen" to show up at the right place and time to intercept foes or join allies. Life is full of wandering around and making mistakes and rushing around.
Thente, the movement in BED is nothing like any Realms session I've ever played in (or Ed has DM'd) - - and how El and Storm can (and can't) use magic, and how it's changing, is fully explained (here and there, during the story) in EMD and BED: it's NOT like 4th edition game rules, for either of them.

The entire novel is predicated on the main character, (Elminster) having a vision, or rather racing off to Cormyr after he states, "I have foreseen it." I mean, really?

"Hello, I am the protagonist of this novel. I have foreseen events from the future, so I'm gonna go and, you know, do novel stuff..."

Not to mention all the awful coincidences, characters just bumping into each other in the Halls of Obarskyr or along the Promenade... just bleh!!

Anyway, I really don't think Ed Greenwood would be published by WotC if they didn't have a contract to publish a book by him ad infinitum... or at least as long as WotC wants to maintain the Realms IP. I really hope that Ed quits nancying around and really, truly, kills this god-awful character off, once and for all.
Then Buries Him Deep.

EDIT: And what about all the sexual tension between Elminster and Storm? Elminster was her foster-father! Just weird...

Edited by - Huerin Illance on 03 Nov 2011 22:12:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  23:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you could express yourself a little more respectfully? Your post comes across as rather insulting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  00:02:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm, I don't HATE many writers, though Meyer comes to mind. but I voted RAS- NOT because I hate him or his books, but because he managed to do one thing I thought would NEVER happen. He killed Chewie. Yes, I am referring to Chewbacca of SW fame. but after getting to the part where the lovable wookie dies (sorry for spoilers for those who have not read the book) in Vector Prime, I could NOT finish the book. I was just too mad, depressed, sad, and shocked. I can handle the deaths of favorite characters, but that one just punched me in the gut for some reason.

And for those who voted Anne McCafferey- ruind dragons?! REALLY?! One must realize that the dragons in her Pern series are (A- not fantasy-based, but pure Sci-Fi(they were created through genetic manipulation of a native species) and (B- bear no resemblance to D&D dragons. Their colors were gender-based, and had nothing to do with breath-weapons, "alignment" or anything else D&D dragons are noted for. They were more like "real-life" dragons, in that their abilities were logical and fully explained biologically.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Perhaps you could express yourself a little more respectfully? Your post comes across as rather insulting.

I think that Ed's shoulders are wide enough to take the comments on board. I myself agree with some of the points made. Elminster was interesting because he was powerful and always seemed to have the upper hand (in the end). We have already had El deprived of magic (shadow of avatar, book one) and to to see the same thing more or less repeated over many more books is imo boring.
I'm not the biggest fan of Eds writing style, but I love some of his characters. Without magic these characters are made rather pointless. This leaves me frustrated because all that is left is a series of 'capers' in and around the palace again and again. Hardly inspired writing imo.
I realise that Elminster is a cash cow for wotc but I feel that this series of books has been stretched too far. This latest Elminster yarn feels like it should really fit into a trilogy and not six books.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:00:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Hrm, I don't HATE many writers, though Meyer comes to mind. but I voted RAS- NOT because I hate him or his books, but because he managed to do one thing I thought would NEVER happen. He killed Chewie. Yes, I am referring to Chewbacca of SW fame. but after getting to the part where the lovable wookie dies (sorry for spoilers for those who have not read the book) in Vector Prime, I could NOT finish the book. I was just too mad, depressed, sad, and shocked. I can handle the deaths of favorite characters, but that one just punched me in the gut for some reason.

And for those who voted Anne McCafferey- ruind dragons?! REALLY?! One must realize that the dragons in her Pern series are (A- not fantasy-based, but pure Sci-Fi(they were created through genetic manipulation of a native species) and (B- bear no resemblance to D&D dragons. Their colors were gender-based, and had nothing to do with breath-weapons, "alignment" or anything else D&D dragons are noted for. They were more like "real-life" dragons, in that their abilities were logical and fully explained biologically.

Readers DO get attached to the way they picture dragons in their minds

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:12:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

quote:

I think that Ed's shoulders are wide enough to take the comments on board.

Regardless of whether you think so, Wooly's point is valid.

We like to ensure an equal level of respect for all Realms authors who visit these halls. Please conduct yourself accordingly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is another example of a tired creation. We have seen him grow stale because bob has explored every part of Drizzts life and mind. I love Drizzt, Bobs books were some of my first Realms reads and it actually pains me to see Drizzt reduced to the monotony that he has become.
I'm still amazed that Cadderly was killed off. One of the biggest (and dumbest) losses to the Realms novel line.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

We like to ensure an equal level of respect for all Realms authors who visit these halls. Please conduct yourself accordingly.

The rebuke from Wooly was not aimed at myself.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  02:04:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

I merely quoted your reply in order to reinforce the cautionary warning for any and all scribes who may think to follow a similar course.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Nov 2011 02:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  02:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye.

I merely quoted your reply in order to reinforce the cautionary warning for any and all scribes who may think to follow a similar course.

Fair enough.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  03:26:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think that Ed's shoulders are wide enough to take the comments on board. I myself agree with some of the points made. Elminster was interesting because he was powerful and always seemed to have the upper hand (in the end). We have already had El deprived of magic (shadow of avatar, book one) and to to see the same thing more or less repeated over many more books is imo boring.
I'm not the biggest fan of Eds writing style, but I love some of his characters. Without magic these characters are made rather pointless. This leaves me frustrated because all that is left is a series of 'capers' in and around the palace again and again. Hardly inspired writing imo.
I realise that Elminster is a cash cow for wotc but I feel that this series of books has been stretched too far. This latest Elminster yarn feels like it should really fit into a trilogy and not six books.

I myself am no fan of Ed's fiction, and I've said this more than once. Yet I've also stated my opinions by saying what elements didn't work for me, and pointing out that I have enjoyed some of his Realms fiction... The post I was responding to was insulting in that it was a flat-out bashing, particularly the statement that Ed's books are only published to retain the IP.

We are free to share all opinions, here. We just ask for some courtesy while doing so.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Nov 2011 03:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  05:43:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed's recent novels are quite disappointing. But I was done with my ranting long ago. And I moved on, I guess...

----

While I enjoy Melanie Rawn's worlds and some of her characters, I don't like it at all that she went to the extreme in emphasizing femisnism in her novels, especially in the Exiles Trilogy [which ended up being a duology].

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  12:42:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Even if we don't enjoy Ed's realms novels, I think most on here would agree that he is the man.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  12:46:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed's recent novels are quite disappointing. But I was done with my ranting long ago. And I moved on, I guess...

----

While I enjoy Melanie Rawn's worlds and some of her characters, I don't like it at all that she went to the extreme in emphasizing femisnism in her novels, especially in the Exiles Trilogy [which ended up being a duology].

How does Rawn handle the feminism in her books? Does she only use females for her main characters, does she blatantly show anger towards men, etc? I ask becuase many critics nailed Robert Newcomb for this in his fantasy series just because the protagonists were women. I still enjoyed the books though.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  15:45:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

----

How does Rawn handle the feminism in her books? Does she only use females for her main characters, does she blatantly show anger towards men, etc? I ask becuase many critics nailed Robert Newcomb for this in his fantasy series just because the protagonists were women. I still enjoyed the books though.

Her world, Lenfell, is extremely matriarchal. Only females get to be elected in the high offices. They get to choose their husbands; the men just wait. In festivals and brothels, the stripteasers are men only.

Don't let it discourage you, though. Her style is vivid and at times poetic. The way she gives depth to her characters is impressive.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  16:25:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

----

Her world, Lenfell, is extremely matriarchal. Only females get to be elected in the high offices. They get to choose their husbands; the men just wait. In festivals and brothels, the stripteasers are men only.

Don't let it discourage you, though. Her style is vivid and at times poetic. The way she gives depth to her characters is impressive.

Sounds a little like Menzoberranzan

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  16:37:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Worse, because their female mages are more powerful than drow priestesses.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  18:52:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want extremes? Try reading the Gor novels. I never read any (I find the subject-matter rather distasteful), but I had several friends that loved them.

I used to think the author - John Norman - had serious issues with women. This was when I was 16.

Nowadays I think there might have been something to his opinions, but life has left me a bit jaded (as if you couldn't tell ).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  20:24:10  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarnsman of Gor books are pretty decent, they are one my inspirations for Numeria. I'd never read Rawn, even reading the description is sickening.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  20:33:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmph... being who I am, I couldn't help but Google up a map of the place (Gor).

It bears a STRIKING resemblance to northern Golarion!

I just put it side-by-side with it (from the map pack I linked in the other thread), and if you just swap-out the center forest for sea... damn close.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2011 20:35:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000