Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Authors We Love to Hate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  16:28:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Stephen Donaldson - I don't care at all for his characters.

Agreed. Now that you reminded me, he's supposed to be on my list, too.
I don't hate him - I enjoyed his first trilogy. The second one left me - and everyone else - flat. His characters weren't exactly all that likable (except for the giant), but his world was very interesting; not your typical cookie-cutter fantasy setting. He should have never written more novels about The Land - I get the idea he used up all his good ideas in the first three.

Perfect example of over-milking the cow.

Did I just hear someone say Drizzt.......

I'd have to put Stephenie Meyer at the top of my 'Most Despised' list - what she did to vampires borders on the criminal.

Reading Donaldson was like reading the most boring parts of RW history (like why Jose Rizal chose to have such ridiculous coiffure).

There's more to the Twilight Saga than sparkles. You have to read all four books to know what I mean.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  16:37:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Feist - killed off his interesting characters

I don't dislike an author just because he needed to kill off his characters, even if said characters are my favorites---provided that the cause of their deaths was sufficiently reasonable and that their deaths were handled very well. Yes, Feist killed off some of his interesting characters, but for me, that's hardly reason enough to dislike his books. Besides, he keeps some alive, like Pug and Tomas.

well he did not manage to replace them with equally interesting ones, Nakor, Bobby, von Darkmoor, Arutha, Jimmy etc., Pug was pushed in the background, and Tomas's son

Nakor is alive, so is Miranda. But altered, as their "spirits" now inhabit demons.

Jimmy. Well, how do you think should Ray make him last more than a century? By some elixirs that Nakor gave Erik? By making him "god-touched" like Nakor? It was sad seeing him and Gamina die, but at least it was handled very well---they died noble deaths. Same goes to Nakor, Miranda, Erik, Boric, and several others. As for Jimmy's descendants... Dash himself said that it was difficult to fill in the shoes of his grandfather---whose accomplishments were almost as great as Pug's. But he tried, and that's what mattered. He may not be as interesting as Jimmy, but he was never boring either.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  16:41:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't get more then 2/3 of the way through the first movie before I HAD to turn it off. I have suffered through some truly horrid crap just to see the end (many made-for-Scify movies come to mind), but I couldn't even get to the end of Twilight.

Playing Baseball in a thunderstorm because they are just too cool to play under normal circumstances... REALLY?!

Vampires don't play fun mortal games, they EAT PEOPLE. Ever since Buffy the Vampire-Layer came around, everyone thinks vamps should be 'cute'. Watch Nosferatu (the original) - that's a vamp.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2011 00:32:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  17:11:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I couldn't get more then 2/3 of the way through the first movie before I HAD to turn it off. I have suffered through some truly horrid crap just to see the end (many made-for-Scify movies come to mind), but I couldn't even get to the end of Twilight.

The movies hardly bear any resemblance to the novels. For one, if you read the books, you'd be spared from the not-so-good acting of Kristen and Robert.

I like how the Volturi are portrayed in the films, though---specially Aro and Jane [Dakota]. In the books, particularly the fourth, the depths of their characters are revealed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  19:09:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd have to put Stephenie Meyer at the top of my 'Most Despised' list - what she did to vampires borders on the criminal.

I won't touch the books or the movies, but I'm not going to come down on her for what she did to vampires -- she just built on the existing "sexy vampire" trope that's been going on for a while now. Sexy vampires and vampires that are just humans with some tragic circumstances were established in fiction long before Stephanie Meyer came along.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  20:38:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I won't touch the books or the movies, but I'm not going to come down on her for what she did to vampires -- she just built on the existing "sexy vampire" trope that's been going on for a while now. Sexy vampires and vampires that are just humans with some tragic circumstances were established in fiction long before Stephanie Meyer came along.

Blame Anne Rice

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  21:58:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Blame Anne Rice

I'm not familiar enough with the sexy vampire genre to know whether or not Anne Rice is to blame. I'd expect the genre was around before she set pen to paper, but it's undeniable that she gave it a boost.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  00:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate authors that write the cheesy romance novels my wife reads. Any author that writes fantasy/sci-fi or horror only furthers the hobby (hobbies) I love so much even if I don't prefer their particular style.

I have to say, I got a kick out of the Family Guy episode though, where Stephen King was trying to pitch a book where the new creature was...a killer lamp. Kind of hit the nail on the head.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  00:55:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not familiar enough with the sexy vampire genre to know whether or not Anne Rice is to blame. I'd expect the genre was around before she set pen to paper, but it's undeniable that she gave it a boost.
Anne Rice did not make them silly. They may have been 'sexy', but it was a dark sexy. The movie didn't do the stories justice (the little girl vampire is much more monsterish when you don't actually see cute Kirsten Dunst). Probably the worst casting ever - the Lestat part was originally written with Rutger Hauer in mind, but he was too old by the time it was made. The only thing scarey about Tom Cruise is his underwear dance.

'Cute' and 'Sexy' aren't the same thing - I think Buffy's boy-toy Angel ruined them first, if I had to make that call. Spike was pretty cool (and dark enough), and even the boy-vamps in Lost Boys were pretty sinister.

Didn't like Angel, but I like him as Booth (until this season of Bones - gag me).

Anyhow. "too shiny to go out in the sun" is just too far removed from the original for me to even consider them vamps. I've seen aliens-as-vamps that were more 'normal'. The only scene I enjoyed was when he was describing himself as the 'perfect predator' (in which he even makes light of the fact his abilities are so over-the-top).

I am trying to think of something else I couldn't finish - there are only a few books on that list (I don't borrow books - I buy them, and I usually insist on finishing them if I've spent good money). However, just because I didn't like them wouldn't make me hate the author (a point I made earlier). Some of the books on that short list are rather popular (like Shannara, or Gormenghast), so I know its just me in that case. On the other hand, I've never read any of Stephanie Meyer's books, so perhaps I am being a bit harsh.

(who? ME?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2011 00:57:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  02:39:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not much into vampire-fiction, aside from vampiric characters cast in RPG-related novels, like Strahd in RAVENLOFT -- a derivation of the timeless character of Dracula himself. So I'm not all that familiar with the whole "sexy vampire" trope.

My favourite vampire-portrayal, for the most part, remains Count Orlok, from the 1922 Nosferatu: A Symphony of Terror film.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  04:14:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Anne Rice did not make them silly. They may have been 'sexy', but it was a dark sexy. The movie didn't do the stories justice (the little girl vampire is much more monsterish when you don't actually see cute Kirsten Dunst). Probably the worst casting ever - the Lestat part was originally written with Rutger Hauer in mind, but he was too old by the time it was made. The only thing scarey about Tom Cruise is his underwear dance.

'Cute' and 'Sexy' aren't the same thing - I think Buffy's boy-toy Angel ruined them first, if I had to make that call. Spike was pretty cool (and dark enough), and even the boy-vamps in Lost Boys were pretty sinister.

Didn't like Angel, but I like him as Booth (until this season of Bones - gag me).

Anyhow. "too shiny to go out in the sun" is just too far removed from the original for me to even consider them vamps. I've seen aliens-as-vamps that were more 'normal'. The only scene I enjoyed was when he was describing himself as the 'perfect predator' (in which he even makes light of the fact his abilities are so over-the-top).

I am trying to think of something else I couldn't finish - there are only a few books on that list (I don't borrow books - I buy them, and I usually insist on finishing them if I've spent good money). However, just because I didn't like them wouldn't make me hate the author (a point I made earlier). Some of the books on that short list are rather popular (like Shannara, or Gormenghast), so I know its just me in that case. On the other hand, I've never read any of Stephanie Meyer's books, so perhaps I am being a bit harsh.

(who? ME?)

I thought Interview with the Vampire, and the Vampire Lestat were great...but the rest of those books did not interest me

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  17:36:06  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None, in fact I never read a disappointing SFF book. A Dance with Dragons was the closest. You have to ask around before reading.

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  18:39:52  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reading Donaldson was like reading the most boring parts of RW history (like why Jose Rizal chose to have such ridiculous coiffure).

I disagree. I am a RW history buff, and unlike Donaldson, it has never put me to sleep. I read Lord Fouls's Bane, and made it about halfway through The Illearth War before I put the book down, never to pick it up again. Donaldson's style is dry, tedious and...well, boring.

I voted 'Other', needless to say.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 29 Oct 2011 18:41:04
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  01:01:45  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Watch Nosferatu (the original) - that's a vamp.

Agreed.

And that is the way they should still be portrayed, in my opinion at least.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  09:28:51  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't really anyone I really dislike on the list. I've become somewhat disillusioned with R.A Salvatore over the past decade, but I can't deny the debt I owe him - The Crystal Shard got me hooked on the Realms, D&D and reading in general. I don't want to name names here, but I have been very disillusioned with some of some of the more minor Realms authors, and I've found others to be overhyped. However I probably need to accept I come to Realms novels with a lot of expectations based on my own conception of the Realms, which is a hard thing for any author to overcome.

I'm actually quite a fan of Tolkien's sedate and ornate writing style, it forces me to slow and savour the text a little (although I was never able to get into the Silmarillion). One sage mentioned Robin Hobb's tendency to put her main characters through a hell of a lot of pain and suffering, and that's a fair point, but for me she's of the best authors I've read, in any genre.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

I disagree. I am a RW history buff, and unlike Donaldson, it has never put me to sleep. I read Lord Fouls's Bane, and made it about halfway through The Illearth War before I put the book down, never to pick it up again. Donaldson's style is dry, tedious and...well, boring.

- OMH

Is that the one where the guy is like a paraplegic or maybe some other rotting disease to start the series? I remember trying to start reading that like 20 years ago and couldn't make it past the first 50 pages. Several people have told me it gets better, but I just never went back.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2011 :  17:08:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You also have to take into account that we read different books for different reasons, and some of us only read them for one particular reason (tragically limiting their reading experience, IMHO).

For instance, I do not read Tolkien, Donaldson, or even Greenwood for their "exciting, non-stop action", I read them because all three are amazing world-builders (and The Land might not be all that amazing by today's standards, but back in its day it was very different then most of the Middle-Earth knock-offs that were being done). It is the world itself which draws me in - like when I read Jack Vance, or Robert Silverberg - the action is secondary to what I am experiencing.

Now, when you get a great story-teller coupled with an amazing world-builder, then you have a scify classic. Very few can do that - Edgar Rice Burroughs may be the greatest example (he built entire solar systems, not just worlds). On the other end of the spectrum you have what are usually classified as 'Low Fantasy', or 'Sword & Sorcery', like Robert Howard, who gives you little backdrop, except where necessary to the story-line. I would also have to classify RAS in that category.

Both types have their place in the genre, and there are as many permutations (and hybrids) of the two styles as there are authors.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Oct 2011 17:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  01:27:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

- OMH

Is that the one where the guy is like a paraplegic or maybe some other rotting disease to start the series? I remember trying to start reading that like 20 years ago and couldn't make it past the first 50 pages. Several people have told me it gets better, but I just never went back.

Yes, that's it. I discouraged three of my friends from reading it. They didn't believe me, and much to their sorrow, they regretted not listening to me. [Their reviews were way more vehement than mine.]

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  03:40:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he is a leper that immediately rapes an underage girl near the beginning. That's the hero.

It does get better - it was one of those "heroes we love to hate". I think the main guy from both SoT and WoT kinda fit that category for me - both of them really got on my nerves. They had that same quality I despised in Thomas Covenant - "I can juggle planets, but I am so insecure I am afraid of doing anything to help anybody". Puh-LEASE!

If I had that sort of firepower at my fingertips, I'd be b***h-slapping entire nations.

Elric and Drizzt also fall into that category, but to a far lesser extent (their abilities are more martial, not uber-class magic with no real limitations). Drizzt uses magical items but doesn't 'do' magic, and Elric has several vulnerabilities and his magic many restrictions, but they also like to make folks feel sorry for them, even though they are god-like compared to the people around them. How the hell am I supposed to pity some guy who takes on entire armies single-handed (and both of those dark elves did). Should I feel bad they can't fight two armies at the same time?

And yes, we are supposed to feel sorry for Thomas Covenant, the poor angry leper, and Rand al'Thor & Richard Rahl, the motherless orphans, and even Paul Atreides (Dune), who is thrust into unpleasant circumstances and loses his family - all capable of ruling planets by their own personal power (in Paul's case a Galactic Empire).

So I can't honestly say I hate any author (even the Twilight gal) - but I could give a list a mile long of characters I can't stand (and yet, I continue to read about them).

And strangely, the 'most uber' character in any book I read - Nathan Brazil - was one of the most likable, simply because with all his power, he hardly did anything at all (and didn't expect anyone's pity). The dude literally had the ability to hit the 'off switch' on the universe itself. But he inspired pity anyway, on a much deeper level (picture Tom Hanks character at the end of The Green Mile, and magnify that a trillion-trillion fold).

And I suppose authors deserve our pity as well - I can think of one in-particular who's cash-cow character hangs like an albatross from their neck. Sometimes authors can't write what they want, but what their fans want, and that lack of creative self-direction may be the worst fate of all. Its like an actor who gets type-cast, and gets stuck in a never-ending cycle of the same crap they can't break free of.

Here's a related side-topic: Which is worse? Obscurity, or having your life be ruled by your own fame?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  04:28:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other. The chick that gave us "sparkly" vampires!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  04:36:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't hate him - I enjoyed his first trilogy. The second one left me - and everyone else - flat. His characters weren't exactly all that likable (except for the giant), but his world was very interesting; not your typical cookie-cutter fantasy setting. He should have never written more novels about The Land - I get the idea he used up all his good ideas in the first three.

Perfect example of over-milking the cow.

Did I just hear someone say Drizzt.......

You don't like shiny vampires?

No they suck.

Reminds me of the picture I have seen floating around the interwebs. It's has Blade standing behind Edward and Bella saying this is how the movie should have ended.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 31 Oct 2011 04:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  04:38:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You have to read all four books to know what I mean.

Now why would I want to do something like that??

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  04:40:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

She's a beacon of hope for all the geeks out there. "Write and believe you shall be celebrated one day!" And a millonaire, too!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  04:42:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sometimes authors can't write what they want, but what their fans want, and that lack of creative self-direction may be the worst fate of all. Its like an actor who gets type-cast, and gets stuck in a never-ending cycle of the same crap they can't break free of.

While it matters that at times the authors are being dictated what and who to write about, I must say the quality of their books would mostly depend on one thing: their talent [at writing]. Now, don’t get me wrong. I would not be so disrespectful as to accuse some authors of lacking talent. Only that, they do have, but for some, it’s not enough. Let me mention Matthew Stover and Laura Resnick as examples. Both were given two uber-powerful planeswalkers to write about, and to a certain degree, were dictated what to write [or so I heard]. Stover nailed Tezzeret, while Resnick hardly did Chandra. Stover showed the nuances of the setting without losing focus on his hero [or villain, depending on how you would see Tezzeret]. On the other hand, Resnick barely gave justice to the setting and even to Chandra herself; it seems like she was only concerned with how many buildings and creatures Chandra could burn in a day. Same setting, same level of characters, but so different in the quality of their books.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  05:12:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, I believe it comes down to 'passion'.

If you do not feel passionately about what you are writing, you will only do a mediocre job, even if it is subconsciously. How can you be expected to create 'art' around a topic you do not care much about?

Which is why I believe that some authors get stuck in a rut of writing about their same old characters, even when the creative well-spring has long run dry (for those particular characters).

Ed himself has said on numerous occasions that he could think of hundreds of Realms stories he'd love to write, but has to write about the characters they want him to write about (namely, Elminster). Not that Ed doesn't love the old mage, but it doesn't matter how good something is - everyone needs a break from steak or lobster now and then, and eat a taco or greasy cheeseburger.

In other words, if you are forced to consume Filet Mignon every night, you'll grow sick of it pretty quick.

Fortunately for Ed, he gets to play with his cheeseburgers elsewhere.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2011 05:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  05:25:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One can cook [and eat] the same recipe ---and add some new ingredients. Same with writing. You can write about the same character and setting and add new dimensions to them so as to squeeze those [literary] juices. Passion comes with talent.

Go to Top of Page

WizardsHerb
Acolyte

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  12:27:18  Show Profile Send WizardsHerb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it was Terry Pratchett who once wrote the analogy that writing is like painting - and that writing fantasy is like adding more colours rather than using different colours. I can imagine that a lot of "bad fantasy" forgets some of the basic colour, thinking it's not needed with the new colours. In fact, I think that was the point of the piece he was writing, since I now recall it was advice on writing fantasy, in the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  13:00:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WizardsHerb

I believe it was Terry Pratchett who once wrote the analogy that writing is like painting - and that writing fantasy is like adding more colours rather than using different colours. I can imagine that a lot of "bad fantasy" forgets some of the basic colour, thinking it's not needed with the new colours. In fact, I think that was the point of the piece he was writing, since I now recall it was advice on writing fantasy, in the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook.

I agree with you on this. Also, i think some of the younger/newer fantasy authors get all wrapped up in developing a new spin on their fantasy idea that they forget the basics of writing a good story: character development, plot advancement, etc. I have read some fantasy books where i loved the idea of the setting, but ended up not really enjoying the book because it never seemed to go anywhere, or because i felt no attachment for the characters.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  14:13:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's because most readers are often drawn by the characters. The other elements only come second---setting, conflict, tone, etc. If I would read a novel just for the sheer wonder of its setting [with unappealing, completely boring characters], then I'd rather travel and go to places.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  14:56:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you can travel to other worlds, planes, cities on mountaintops at altitudes ABOVE the atmosphere (Majipoor) and beneath the sea, learn spells at the local mage school and exchange blows with a dragon or two, you let me know, okay?

As a DM of 30+ years, I find I am given creative 'seeds' far more often by the backdrop then by the characters - different strokes for different folks.

Not that I don't enjoy a book about interesting characters - who wouldn't? But when the setting is very cookie-cutter it serves little purpose, and those same characters can be dropped into any setting, which defeats the purpose of the fantasy genre, IMHO.

Drizzt would be at home alongside the three Musketeers, as a Nubian transplanted to Europe and raised as a gentleman, with a pair of rather unique antique swords. Luke Skywalker would be fine in the Realms, learning from his goblin (Blue or Xvart) master the art of psionics, wielding his flaming sword. Indiana Jones or the guy from The Mummy would do just fine dumped into Mulhorand, or just about anyplace else with ruins (meaning, ANY fantasy RPG setting). And Sherlock Holmes would have no problem living in Watereep solving "The Shadowmastiff of the Baskerhorns".

Characters can be transplanted - background, not so much. In the fantasy & scify genre, its the great world-builders who get the accolades.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2011 14:59:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000