Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Scorpionfolk Guide P.E.A.C.H.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  16:42:42  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more scorpionfolk grafts for your consideration. There’ll be more whip feeler grafts upcoming (slashing feelers, eye whips and prehensile feelers). Again, I’ve thrown in a lot of lore – if there’s anything which contradicts what you’ve established feel free to alter it. I’ve also done a take on the vinegaroon (thanks for your suggestions Wolfhound) with added scorpion sex!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  22:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-On the Whip Feelers:

I love the lore. An entire extinct subspecies of scorpionfolk who were beholden to Obox-ob couldn't be better right now as I need a few ideas for the adventure. Great!

How did you come up with the race's name by the way? Not that it matters, I'm just curious. I've been naming the others based off of the latin names of species of scorpions that I had in mind while creating them. For example, the Imperatonti and the Opistacanthi.

I also really appreciate how you are working within (and expanding on) the homebrew lore that has already been written.

-On the Maroonmusk glands.

I think you went in the best direction with these. Like you said, thank you Wolfhound for the suggestion. Scorpionfolk sex totally creeps me out, but I'm glad you worked it into Malinalxochitl's lore. Love it or hate it, she is the scorpionfolk's Sharess!

Are you going to make a graft based off of WH's Melf's Acid Arrow suggestion? If not, I am going to make a "tail-band" magic item that has a similar ability.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 09 Dec 2011 22:37:33
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2011 :  15:31:22  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It’s good to know that my lore inputs have some synergy, I’ve been keen to add bits whilst not wanting to hurl anything in which didn’t fit (which might still happen by accident!). Like you, I used the Latin name of a subfamily (Charindinae) of whip scorpions and then played around with it until it didn’t seem too immediately derivative. I also took note of the ‘i’ suffix common to the other scorpionfolk subraces. Latin names are often a good inspiration for names, in particular I tend to use them for familiars, but I always try and change them around a little rather than lift them directly from Latin.

Go ahead with the tail-band item – I think I’ll leave the vinegaroon parallels with the maroonmusk graft to avoid unbalancing the graft rooster in their favour. The halls of Candlekeep might blanch at the thought of scorpionfolk sex (then again, probably not considering some of the threads I’ve seen over the last few months), but the mating habits of true scorpions are quite interesting. Like arachnids and mantises, it can be a tricky business if the female is hungry or not in the mood. The male locks claws with the female and they engage in a kind of shoving match. The male drops a packet of sperm on the ground and basically tries to forcibly manoeuvre the female over it to fertilize her. The claw wrestling is to push her into the correct position, and to keep her far enough at bay that she won’t try to sting him.

RE an earlier post – I’ve been pondering some possible prestige classes and had a couple of ideas
- Some kind of Bolthole Magic Master?
- An obese scorpionfolk, with a bloated exoskeleton that barely contains vast reservoirs of different poison that slosh about inside its body. This scorpionfolk experiments alchemically distilling different kinds of venoms, even inventing new variants. It consumes the poisons it creates, storing them in internal body sacks, and sells them to others of its kind – injecting the venom directly into its customers’ tail with its own stinger. Could be a prestige class, or maybe even a new creature.

I leave with a final icky scorpion fact – their anuses are located on the end of their tails, just above the bard of their stinger.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2011 :  18:12:18  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon
RE an earlier post – I’ve been pondering some possible prestige classes and had a couple of ideas
- An obese scorpionfolk, with a bloated exoskeleton that barely contains vast reservoirs of different poison that slosh about inside its body. This scorpionfolk experiments alchemically distilling different kinds of venoms, even inventing new variants. It consumes the poisons it creates, storing them in internal body sacks, and sells them to others of its kind – injecting the venom directly into its customers’ tail with its own stinger. Could be a prestige class, or maybe even a new creature.

I'd vote for a prestige class rather than a new creature. Doing a little work and realizing there is still a significant amount left to finish, here is what I've come up with so far:

T'lincalli Venom Vintner

Prerequisite: x-ranks of Alchemy and/or Craft Poison which runs with MM's idea of distilling and inventing new venom variants. Perhaps we can brainstorm a way to tie those skills and select grafts together in a better way to create the PrC.

Graft Prerequisite: The one that comes easily to mind was the tail stinger mod with the three different types of poison but, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting in this quick response.

PrC Lore: Borrowing some license from classic literature, T'lincalli desiring to become a Venom Vintner must create and imbibe a concoction similar to the idea of the secret forumla, drawn from Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, to affect the change to their body. Knowledge of this formula, known only to other Venom Vintners and the gods, is bestowed after a complex ritual which involves ingesting several different types of T'lincalli sacred poisons (initial thoughts were the sacred ritual sacrifice poisons) and praying that their gods bestow upon them the knowledge of the formula. Those found unpure in the god's vision will be slayed by the concotion of ingested poisons. Those who find the favor of the gods will be granted the knowledge of the formula and allowed to attempt to craft the concoction to become a Venom Vintner (Anyone seeing a Brew Potioncheck?). Additional Note/Idea: A T'lincalli Venom Vintner is required to concoct the favored and preferred sacrifice poisons mentioned in earlier posts - which makes this class useful to the religion as a whole and not akin to a mad scientist brewing crazy new concotions in a secret lab.

I drew the idea for the name from the idea of the chief wine maker (vintner) at a vineyard. MM's description of the way he envisions the individual having large storage vats drew the impression of winery's cellar with casks of fine vintages lining the walls. Also, it drew impressions of the way wine makers combine various elements to create new vintages or enhance older ones so, I thought it might work well, especially with the alliteration in the name.

As always, additional thoughts, ideas, and discussion welcome.

Good Hunting!

Edit: Add color/Font Sizing

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 12 Dec 2011 18:41:31
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  01:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm loving how this is all coming out and the last few ideas should certainly be worked in.

Everything but the scorpionfolk errrr...anatomy lesson!

I just reread through all the posts in this thread, the intial draft and some other notes I had and tried to come up with an overall Table of Contents/Outline for what the final netbook will look like, including pretty much every idea. At the end, I put in a few that could potentially fit into any (a PrC, an item, a feat).

I have bolded items that have yet to be written, and of course please feel free to add!

Claw and Sting: The Scorpionfolk of Maztica

1. Overview

a. Naming Convention: Manscorpion vs. Scorpionfolk?
b. Scorpionfolk Culture
c. Historical Timeline of Scorpionfolk in Maztica

2. Gods and Religion

a. Axipotl the Venomlord
b. Corantllil the Unceasing
c. Ek-Chua the Black Merchant
d. Huoxopica the Scorpionlord
e. Ixtilli the Nest Mother
f. Malinalxochitl the Seductress
g. Nantzintli Coloti (Glau) the Huntress in Darkness
h. Pachutalixi the Feathered Scorpion
i. Vulkoon the Emperor Scorpion
j. Demon Lord: Obox-ob
k. Abyssal Layer 663: Zionyn
l. New Vestige: Rr’ikin’aka
m. The Legend of Chikata
n. Sacrifice (Favored and Preferred)

3. The Subraces

a. Tlincalli
b. Palophonti
c. Imperatonti
d. Opistacanthi
e. The Obyrith-Touched
f. Charininti (Extinct)

4. New Monsters

a. Chitin Golem
b. Cibarius Swarm
c. Crystal Scorpion
d. Feathered Scorpion
e. Hurachnid
f. Obyrith-Touched (Template)
g. Sciorah
h. Scorilla

5. New Spells

a. Adamantine Claws
b. Alter Venom
c. Curtain of Stingers
d. Poison Arrow
e. Read Pattern

6. New Magic Items

a. Waterskimmer
b. Tail-Band of Altered Venom
c. Tail-Band of Impact
d. Tail-Band of Swift Striking
e. Tail-Band of Virulence
f. Graft: Barbed Impaler
g. Graft: Burrowing Claws
h. Graft: Colossus Claw
i. Graft: Manticore Stinger
j. Graft: Maroonmusk Gland
k. Graft: Pincer Claws
l. Graft: Spitting Stinger
m. Graft: Triclaw
n. Graft: Webhurler
o. Graft: Whip Feelers
p. Graft: Poisonous Feelers
q. Graft: Eyed Feelers
r. Graft: Slashing Feelers
s. Graft: Prehensile Feelers
t. Graft: Luminosity
u. Graft: Metabolism Overdrive
v. Graft: Fortified Carapace
w. Graft: Superheavy Carapace

7. New Feats

a. Craft Scorpionfolk Graft [Scorpionfolk]
b. Disease Carrier [Scorpionfolk]
c. Purified Couatl Venom Sting [Exalted, Scorpionfolk]
d. Venom to Ravage [Exalted, Scorpionfolk]
e. Nest Mother [Scorpionfolk]

8. Locations in the Maztican Underdark

a. T’lincal (1,500 pop city of Tlincalli)
b. The Chittering (An unknown abyss)
c. The Fireworms (Lava tubes under Nexal)
d. Vulkholme (primary city of Imperatonti)
e. The Tree-Nest (Gigantic hallowed out tree hive for the opistacanthi)
f. The Serpent Skirt (The hollowed out body of a dead or semi-living goddess, complete with organs a-la Nightmare Keep) Goddess is Coatlique, progenitor of the similarly named Koatlique.
g. Touchstone Sites

9. Prestige Classes

a. Chitincrafter
b. Master of Patterns
c. Venom Vintner of Axipotl

10. Scorpionfolk Characters

11. Den of Scorpions Adventure

Acid Tail Weapon ?
Firebreath Tail Weapon ?

Bolthole Magic Master ?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 15 Dec 2011 01:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  23:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wanted to maintain the synergy of the background we've been developing so I tried to include a room in the adventure that gives a nod to your "extinct" charininti race...

Little Zionyn

This chamber is strewn with gore and the innards of countless creatures. In their own chaotic and disturbingly evil way, the ekolid inhabitants actually consider what they have done here to be a form of art. Intestines and other stringy bits of gore have been woven in such a manner to resemble a grand spider web. From this web, the ekolid emerge.

Ekolid (6) [See Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss]

There is no treasure in the chamber, but the players can easily stumble upon a strange corpse that may forever alter scorpionfolk history. The body is of a scorpionfolk that the PCs surely do not recognize. The large sized creature has no tail stinger but instead has long whip-like appendages akin to the feelers of certain cave moths. The creature is also pitch black so it stands out among the colorful gore of the chamber (Search DC 5).

The corpse is in fact the body of a recently dead charininti, a race long thought to be wiped out by their original patron Ek-chua. This bit of evidence proves that they still exist, possibly on Zionyn itself. Their existence, and the fact that they may very well be fully under sway of Obox-ob would be very valuable information to a diviner of Ek-chua.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  07:40:35  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slashing Feelers

This scorpionfolk has a pair of whip feelers that audibly slice through the air with each rapid twitch. The feelers are flattened into razor-sharp ridges of chitin.

Graft Prerequesite: Whip Feelers
Graft Location: Torso
Description: One of the simplest improvements to the whip feelers graft is honing the feelers into formidable reaching blades. With sufficient training, the owner of a pair of slashing feelers can turn them into deadly, lightning-quick weapons.
Scorpionfolk with this graft often take great pride in their martial prowess, demonstrating skills akin to those of an accomplished duellist in the Realms. Some are so secure in their abilities that they abstain from using their stings in battle, utterly confident in the capacity to defeat their foes with slashing feelers alone. Others abandon conventional weapons, attacking with the feelers and wielding a shield in each hand.
Some suggest this tendency does not solely stem from the ego, but from some unforeseen side effect of the grafting process.
Activation: Slashing feelers are considered natural weapons, and are usually considered the default standard attack of a scorpionfolk that possesses them.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with this graft has two slashing feelers, which each inflict 1d8 points of damage of a successful strike, and have a critical threat range of 19-20. The scorpionfolk can attack using both of feelers (and any other weapons and natural attacks it possesses) when making a full attack.
Slashing feelers are considered light weapons and gain the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat. Many scorpionfolk also take the Weapon Focus and Specialization feats to further heighten their combat capabilities with the feelers, or the Multiattack feat to ensure the feelers can be used effectively with their other attacks.

Attributes: Strong transmutation, CL 15th
Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk graft, Inflict Moderate Wounds, 2,000 GP, 160 XP, 2 days
Graft donor: Two legs from a Sword Spider
Graft sacrifice: -1 Wisdom
Cost: 4,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  07:44:40  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many-Eyed Whips

A half-dozen blank, black compound eyes are scattered randomly along the last foot or so of this scorpionfolk’s whip feelers. Despite their dull sheen, it is clear they are functioning optical organs for the scorpionfolk is constantly moving them to investigate areas and angles it wouldn’t normally be able to see.

Graft Prerequisite: Whip Feelers
Description: Although, the optical sensors clustered around the ends of the whip feelers are not as sophisticated as true eyes, they are nonetheless useful tools. They cannot distinguish colour or analyze fine details, but they vastly improve their host’s spatial awareness. This capability is particularly effective in battle, making it easier to keep track of enemies and coordinate multiple attacks with different limbs.
Eyed feelers are a new innovation in the arcane science of chitincrafting, and they are not without their flaws. On occasion, the multiplied sensory input overwhelms the scorpionfolk’s unmodified brain, creating a momentary blackout. For a few vulnerable moments, all the scorpionfolk’s eyes (both natural and grafted) cease to work.
Activation: The benefits of Eyed Feelers are considered to be in continuous effect. The host requires no circumstance or trigger in order to use them.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with Eyed Feelers gains a +4 bonus to Spot and Search checks. The latter bonus stacks with the +2 bonus granted by the prerequisite Whip Feelers graft.
Furthermore, the Eyed Feelers also assist the scorpionfolk if it is making more than one attack in a single round; lessening the attack roll penalty for secondary attacks by 1 point (the primary attack is unaffected).
Finally, the scorpionfolk gains the All-Around Vision ability (like that enjoyed by a beholder). It cannot be flanked.

Attributes: Strong Transmutation, CL 15th
Construction: Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Clauradience/Clairvoyance, 2,225 GP, 180 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: The eyes of a tojanida
Graft sacrifice: -1 hit point (permanent). If the scorpionfolk finds itself in melee combat with two or more combatants in any given round, it risks temporary blindness. There is a cumulative 2% chance of blindness per foe in melee combat with the scorpionfolk at the start of any given round – blindness lasts for one round. Enterprising PCs may devise ways of blinding a scorpionfolk by creating conditions where it is overloaded with optical information, DMs should reward such creativity.
Cost: 4,500 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  07:50:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prehensile Feelers

These whip feelers lack the typical chitinous rigidity. They are surprisingly mobile, having enough flexibility to curl about and grip small objects.

Description: Some whip feelers are developed into weapons, others into sensory organs, but the Prehensile Feelers graft comes close to granting its host another set of functioning hands.
Prehensile Feelers can be used to hold small weapons, items and wands. Although they lack the strength to constrict a foe, they are nimble enough to entangle opponents – tripping them up and wresting weapons from their grasp.
Some magic-using scorpionfolk have such mastery over these grafts they can even use them to form the somatic components of magic spells, allowing them to keep their hands free to grip weapons or other items whilst using magic.
Activation: No activation is needed to use Prehensile Feelers – they’re constantly active. Trip and disarm attempts can be made as per the standard rules.
Effects: Prehensile Feelers can be used to grasp wands, light weapons and items of less than 4 lbs of weight. They lack any manipulative digits and can only grasp things they can coil around – the DM may chose to rule that certain objects cannot be grasped. If the feelers are holding a weapon, they can attack clumsily, with a -2 penalty to attack rolls. This penalty is ignored if the scorpionfolk in question has the Weapon Finesse feat.
Prehensile feelers can also be used to make Trip and Disarm attempts with +2 bonus to opposed rolls.
A scorpionfolk with the Whipform Caster feat can also use the Prehensile Feelers to cast spells (see the Feats chapter in this book).

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Greater Mage Hand*, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 4 days
Graft donor: A tentacle from a roper
Graft sacrifice: -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 6,000 GP

*Spell Compendium

New Feat: Whipform Caster

You can use your prehensile feelers graft to form the somatic components of spells

Prerequisities: Prehensile Feeler scorpionfolk graft
Benefit: When casting spells with somatic components, your whip feelers form the required arcane gestures to create spell, leaving your hands free to hold weapons or other items. As a result, you do not risk an attack of opportunity when casting spells in melee combat.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  07:54:15  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poisonous Feelers

The whip feelers of this scorpionfolk drip with venom!

Graft Torso: Torso
Description: The whip feelers of this scorpionfolk are hollow, containing a narrow channel through which poison flows. The tips are pierced, allowing the poison to exit and flow over the chitin of the whip feelers. Although this venom has the same basic nature as that contained within its host’s stinging tail, it is virulent enough that it can be transferred to a victim through mere contact.
However, the graft does not bestow the host with any extra reserves of poison, meaning that it is spread thinly across both whip feelers and the sting. As a result, it is little easier for victims to resist its effects.
Activation: Poison can be transferred with a successful touch attack.
Effects: Opponents struck by Poisonous Feelers must make a successful Fortitude Save or be poisoned as if struck by the scorpionfolk’s tail stinger. However, the toxicity of the poison is slightly reduced; those struck gain a +2 circumstance bonus to their saves. The same rules apply to attacks by the tail stinger.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Poison, 2,000 GP, 160 XP, 3 days
Graft donor: The tentacle of a carrion crawler
Graft sacrifice: -1 hit point (permanent) and weaker poison as explained above.
Cost: 4,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  08:22:05  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Santa brought four new scorpionfolk grafts - Merry Christmas all!

With a couple of days over the festive period I hope to complete my list of grafts within a week or so.
Seethyr - I finally succeeded in downloading the latest revision of the sourcebook, it's looking great! I noticed one inconsistency; the Craft Scorpionfolk Graft feat states graft creation takes a day per 1,000 GP value of the graft. With the grafts I've created, I've varied creation times at whim, largely based on how complicated the grafts appear. Feel free to alter the grafts so they align with your feat.
As for those deity symbols I drew, I'd happily have a go at representing the rest of the pantheon if you liked them. The drawing programme I used was a trial version that just expired, but I was quite happy with it and I'll probably purchase it. I'll keep you posted.

Wolfhound - I'd be interested to see how the Venom Vintner develops.

Finally, I came across another scorpion-based monster, the chekryan, which can be found in the Sandstorm supplement (in fact it's also on the front cover). I guess there'd be a few in the deserts of Maztica.

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  07:08:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luminosity

The thorax of this scorpionfolk glows with bioluminescence, illuminating the darkness around it.

Description: The chitinous plates that armour a scorpionfolk with the Luminosity graft are semi-transparent. They contain small reservoirs of electrically charged liquid, which, when agitated, glows with a soft, blue light. The host can do this at will, and maintain the effect as long as it is conscious.
The scorpionfolk can also intensify this reaction to create a brief, blinding flare of light. However, this effect exhausts the static charge within the liquid, leaving it unable to generate light for several hours afterwards.
This is a useful graft for many subterranean scorpionfolk, particularly scholars and explorers. A scorpionfolk’s darkvision is sufficient to read their own script in the pitch black of the Underdark, but sometimes some extra light is useful is deciphering unknown writings. In colonies where this graft is particularly common, guardian scorpionfolk communicate simple messages to one another by pulsing their bioluminescence on and off.
Activation: Both the light and brightflare functions of this graft can be activated as free actions.
Effects: A scorpionfolk with the luminosity graft can cause its body to glow with the same effect as a light spell at will.
In addition, the scorpionfolk can cause a brightflare effect once per day. This is an instantaneous effect which can dazzle all creatures within a 40’ radius. Creatures must succeed a DC 15 Fortitude save or be dazzled for one minute. Dazzled creatures suffer a -1 penalty to attack rolls, Spot and Search checks. After using a brightflare, a scorpionfolk cannot generate any light at all for 24 hours.
Foes striking a scorpionfolk with piercing or striking weapons whilst it is actively using its illumination are in danger of electrocuting themselves. There is a 1% chance for every point of damage inflicted by a blow that the attacker suffers 1d6 points of electricity damage.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Light, 5,000 GP, 470 XP, 8 days
Graft donor: The juices of ten crushed cibarius
Graft sacrifice: -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 10,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  08:33:42  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Metabolism Overdrive

This graft allows a scorpionfolk to fight and move with great speed and ferocity for a limited time.

Graft location: Torso
Description: This powerful graft involves placing the heart of a tiny quickling inside that of the scorpionfolk host. The scorpionfolk can harness the speed of its graft donor to act with lightning speed for a certain amount of time before the quickling heart arrests with the stress of driving such a large body.
Scorpionfolk that go into Metabolism Overdrive can move with incredible speed and attack more rapidly than normal. During this time the scorpionfolk must be sure to defeat its enemies whilst under these effects, for when the heart arrests the scorpionfolk falls into a helpless torpor.
Scorpionfolk with this graft are used as expendable shock troops by tlincalli armies. There are in the vanguard of any attack, causing as much damage as they can whilst under the influence of the overdrive. When their hearts give out most are slain, but some survive as the rest of the scorpionfolk army advances to secure the ground they have taken.
Activation: Starting the Metabolism Overdrive is a standard action.
Effects: The Metabolism Overdrive mimics the effect of the spell haste. The effect lasts for 15+1d10 rounds, but is otherwise identical to the spell.
At the end of the overdrive’s duration, the scorpionfolk immediately falls into torpor. Whilst in a torpor, the scorpionfolk is helpless, and cannot be roused short of wish magic or a raise dead spell. The torpor lasts for at least 3d6 hours, after which the scorpionfolk can be roused on a successful Heal check (DC 10). An attempt to rouse the scorpionfolk can be made each hour. If a tenday passes without any successful attempt to rouse the scorpionfolk, it dies.

Creation: Requires Craft Scorpionfolk Graft, Haste, 5,000 GP, 470 XP, 4 days
Graft donor: A quickling’s heart
Graft sacrifice: -3 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 10,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  15:52:58  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr -

Almost finished fleshing out the PrC. Been a little busy over the Christmas holiday so haven't had as much time to work on it as I would have liked. Also, reworking it a bit to fit better with the lore you sent me.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  07:17:39  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortified Carapace

The exoskeleton of this scorpionfolk is twice as thick as normal, providing it with formidable natural armour

Graft location: Torso
Description: An unmodified scorpionfolk’s chitin is a resilient material which is as effective as turning away a blade as a chain shirt. With this graft a scorpionfolk’s natural armour is doubled in thickness, providing the equivalent protection of a knight in full plate. A scorpionfolk thus improved can wade into combat with confidence, macas and spears failing to penetrate its skin whilst it deals death to its enemies.
However, the weight of the scorpionfolk’s reinforced carapace is difficult to manage, impairing the freedom of movement of its limbs and reducing its agility. As a result, scorpionfolk bearing the graft are often complete warriors whose only role within their society is battle.
Activation: The fortified carapace graft is a constant state – its benefits and disadvantages are always active.
Effect: The fortified carapace graft grants the host a +4 natural AC bonus which stacks with any existing natural armour bonus the scorpionfolk possesses. It also gives the scorpionfolk light fortification – negating sneak attacks or critical hits 25% of time (these blows inflict normal damage).
Like true armour, a fortified carapace limits its host ability to carry out some skills, causing a -4 armour check penalty. This penalty is in addition to the graft sacrifice below.

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stone Bones*, 9,000 GP, 720 XP, 10 days
Graft donor: Umber Hulk hide
Graft sacrifice: -2 Dexterity, -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 18,000 GP

*Magic of Faerun
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  07:23:54  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fortress Carapace

This scorpionfolk bears an exoskeleton so impregnable it can barely move for the weight of its armoured body.

Graft Prerequesite: Fortified carapace
Description: This graft takes reinforcement of a scorpionfolk’s natural chitin to an extreme. Its chitin has been toughened, shaped and thickened to such a degree the host is almost lost beneath layers of armoured plates. Only the most powerful opponent could hope to force a weapon through such formidable defences.
Such excessive modification comes at a cost. The scorpionfolk is almost rendered immobile due to the sheer mass of its carapace. As a result, the battlefield utility of such scorpionfolk is limited, as they cannot manoeuvre quickly enough to threaten their opponents. Instead, this graft is often applied to guardians and in particular protectors of religious sites. A temple guardian with a fortress carapace in a narrow corridor can be almost impossible to bypass.
On occasion, the guardians themselves become important parts of the temple iconography, as they rarely venture far. Their carapaces are crafted into geometric patterns, sacred items or potions are hidden in crevices between their chitinous joints and especially large scorpionfolk might even serve as living altars!
There are also tales of powerful scorpionfolk magic users altering themselves in this way, taking advantage of the protection it offers and moving themselves by magic when necessary.
Activation: All benefits and penalties of carapace armour are in constant effect.
Effects: The fortress carapace graft gives its host a further +5 AC bonus which stacks with other natural armour bonuses (including those bestowed by the fortified carapace graft). It increases the fortification ability so that critical hits and sneak attacks have a 50% chance of being ignored.
However, the graft limits the host’s movement severely. As a standard move action, it can only move 5’, and cannot take a 5’ step if engaged in a full round action. It can run or charge 10’ as a full round action. In addition, its armour check penalty increases to -6 (this does not stack with penalty from the fortified carapace graft).

Creation: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stone Shape, 9,500 GP, 760 XP, 15 days
Graft donor: Ankheg chitin
Graft sacrifice: -2 Dexterity, -2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 19,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  07:27:13  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Seethyr,

These is the last of the scorpionfolk grafts from my original list of proposals ... although if any other good ideas come to mind before the netbook is finished I'll be sure to type them up. I will be sending you a word doc with all the grafts I've created shortly, although at the time of writing hotmail and my computer don't seem to be getting along.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000