Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Scorpionfolk Guide P.E.A.C.H.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2011 :  16:23:42  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an added treat, here's a full write-up of the Manticore Stinger!

I’ve loosely used the format presented in Magic of Eberron. Serpent Kingdoms present grafts in a different (and much simpler) format, but I’m inclined to follow the Eberron approach as the more in-depth approach appeals to me, and I’ve also added magic auras and caster level. However, feel free to edit them into whatever format you feel is most appropriate for the netbook.

I've not used any specific system to generate the prices and XP cost, these values have been invented using comparison with the Eberron and Yuan-ti grafts as a reference. For simplification, I’ve listed the costs in terms of gold pieces. I remember that Maztica uses a different monetary system, and even this may have little relevance to the financial system of the scorpionfolk.

Presumably, creation of grafts will require the appropriate feat. I’ve termed it Graft Scorpionfolk Chitin here.

Manticore Stinger

The scorpionfolk’s stinging tail has been modified so that it can fire volleys of venomous spines at its enemies.

Graft location: Tail Stinger
Description: Instead of a single barb dripping venom, the tip of the scorpionfolk’s tail is a bristle of spines. It bears a superficial resemblance to the tail of a (Faerunian) manticore. The spines sit loosely in their sockets, rattling softly as the scorpionfolk moves. The bulb of the tail is swollen with the powerful muscles required to fire these spines as missiles. Unfired spines are shed hourly, and new ones grow in their place. This constant regeneration requires huge energy, and scorpionfolk with this graft are perpetually hungry. They never seem able to consume enough, and their constitution suffers as a result.
Activation: The scorpionfolk can fire a single spine just as if it was firing a missile weapon. As a full attack, the scorpionfolk can fire a volley of 2d4 spines at multiple foes in range.
Effect: A manticore stinger has a range of 30’. To compensate for this poor range, subterranean scorpionfolk will often cling to a cavern ceiling in order to attack from relative safety. The spines themselves inflict 1d4 damage and poison (DC 14 Fortitude save, 1d6 strength loss as initial and secondary damage).
A manticore stinger can also be used in melee, although it is weaker and clumsier than the standard form; attacks are made with a -2 attack penalty and strike for 1d3 damage plus poison.
At any given time, a manticore stinger carries 4d4 mature spines ready to be fired. If the supply of spines is exhausted, the stinger cannot be used in missile or melee combat. After one hour, a scorpionfolk grows back its complement of 4d4 spines.

Attributes: Strong transmutation, CL 15th
Construction: Requires Graft Scorpionfolk Chitin feat, Spike Growth, 5,000 GP, 470 XP, 10 days crafting.
Graft Donor: Manticore tail
Graft Sacrifice: -2 Constitution (permanent)
Price: 10,000 GP

Edited by - MalariaMoon on 25 Nov 2011 03:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2011 :  23:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

First off, thanks for the draft of the Claw and Sting. I was really impressed with what I’ve managed to read.

P.S. Like the monster generator; if I have time I’ll see if I can use it to create a beasty for Monsters of the True World 2!

P.P.S Ieralocai is also cool!

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the way it's going but there certainly is still a lot to do!
quote:
<snip> my assumption is a graft is a body part or mechanism attached to a living creature, whereas as a feat (in most cases) is a skill or inherited trait. Most of my ideas are additions or replacements to the scorpionfolk form, rather than abilities tied to their existing features.

I am actually now inclined to agree with you on this and you seem to have a great handle on designing grafts now, so there is really no reason to split it like I had originally suggested. What really made me think otherwise to begin with was examples like Draconic Feats (from Complete Arcane and Dragon Magic) where sometimes, body parts were altered to accommodate new functions gained by the feats. I had thought to make a whole scorpionfolk set of feats which act similarly. I may still do so, but separate from your grafts.

quote:
However, I’m a little uncertain about the physiology of scorpionfolk. According to the illustration of the Imperatonti in Monsters of the True World, they have pincers resembling the foremost limbs of a true scorpion, whereas Monsters of Faerun depicts them with manipulative, multi-fingered hands, but no pincers. The low damage (only 1d6) inflicted by them seems to support the notion they’re closer to hands than true pincers.

This is actually an unfortunate oversight of mine when designing the imperatonti. I don't know, I had just always figured a scorpion-man creature like our Tlincalli should have full fledged scorpion claws and I had made that assumption without consulting the original drawing. The solution now, I believe, is to maintain their absence in tlincalli, but keep them in the new offshoots.

quote:
Resultantly, the pincer graft proposals presume these are pincers grafted onto a scorpionfolk form, augmentations that the majority of the race lack; thus they would be inappropriate as feats.

Yep, I definitely see it your way now.

quote:
With regards to specific stinger grafts; I’m not sure whether there are existing rules for impalement within the 3.5 rules (I seem to recall Lizard Kings in Serpent Kingdoms had an impalement attack); I’ll see what I can find. That aside, I’d imagine that an impaling stinger would cause extra damage plus a grapple chance, perhaps cause small amounts of damage thereafter whilst the victim remains impaled, and cause further damage when the victim breaks the grapple (tearing himself off the barbs).

I don't see impalement in their entry but that's no reason for avoiding homebrewing it.
quote:
As for the Spitting Sting, I wanted to distinguish it from the manticore sting and thus make it mechanically more like a breath weapon. It could easily be contact poison rather than acid.

I think this discussion may fit our whole feat vs graft issue and solve the problem. A breath weapon mechanic would certainly be an appropriate graft as it requires truly new body parts added to the individual. I can take "Spew Poison" however and make a scorpionfolk feat out of it since that could really be a learned talent working within their original physiology. I also wouldn't stop at an acid "Spitting Sting." There could be one for just about every type of damage out there.
quote:
As for the whip feelers, my inspiration comes from the tailless whip scorpion group, which are quite different from the true whip scorpions which inspired your palophonti. Whereas the palophonti feature a tail that has developed (or perhaps yet to develop in evolutionary terms) into a whip like form, those of a tailless whip scorpion are actually closer to long thick antennae (although that description isn’t perfect either). Here’s a link to a photo http://www.sasionline.org/tailless/Tailless_whip.html, or even better, check them out of Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3o37Kd1-7E I’m a little obsessed with these little beasties; they used to invade my bedroom in Peru. Despite being largely harmless, they’re quite big and look and move in a monstrous fashion!

I wouldn't have lasted a week in Peru! Yes, the palophonti tail is nothing like that at all. Their tail simply just had not evolved yet, like the sea scorpions of our own ancient seas.

quote:

Another thing to consider is the different sized races of scorpionfolk. With their differing forms, it seems logical that the strengths and costs of different grafts would vary. Should certain scorpionfolk have specific grafts, or do we give the grafts statistic breakdowns as per each subrace? What about monstrous scorpions? Many of these grafts could be applied to giant scorpions, creating formidable battle beasts.

In order to avoid the confusion of having a different set of rules for each race plus monsters, maybe we could figure out a general rule to do both. For example, with your claw grafts, perhaps new claws simply increase damage similar to the method that increasing size does (as shown on this table) This way we could cover all our bases and keep the grafts well balanced as well.

quote:

As an added treat, here's a full write-up of the Manticore Stinger!

So, so very cool! In all honesty, I have never written up a magic item statted out as they should be, so I will leave the pricing decision and such up to you. It's certainly something I will need to practice and think about, particularly when you are dealing with items like grafts.

quote:
I remember that Maztica uses a different monetary system, and even this may have little relevance to the financial system of the scorpionfolk.

Maztica uses gold quills, cocoa beans and coral buds but they are all given gp equivalents, so I don;t think it's necessary to list new magic in anything but gp.

quote:
Presumably, creation of grafts will require the appropriate feat. I’ve termed it Graft Scorpionfolk Chitin here.

I could write this up if you'd like. Do you think Craft Scorpionfolk Graft works better?

Again, this is really great stuff. I can't wait to see the rest of the grafts!

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  23:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is working on this while at work a bad thing? I developed an image on Sketchup again for the main Tlincalli city.

T'lincal

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 21 Nov 2011 23:36:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  01:11:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Is working on this while at work a bad thing? I developed an image on Sketchup again for the main Tlincalli city.

T'lincal

I do find it interesting.

Though, I still feel that some element of a "hive-city" should probably be incorporated into the design and layout of T'lincal -- if only because we've canon reference to the cities of the scorpionfolk being referred to as hive-like.

I'd keep what you have as a basis -- perhaps for the lower rungs of the t'lincalli society -- while allowing a mound-like structure to be slowly built above, as the habitation for the higher-up of the scorpionfolk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  02:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

T'lincal

I do find it interesting.

Though, I still feel that some element of a "hive-city" should probably be incorporated into the design and layout of T'lincal -- if only because we've canon reference to the cities of the scorpionfolk being referred to as hive-like.

I'd keep what you have as a basis -- perhaps for the lower rungs of the t'lincalli society -- while allowing a mound-like structure to be slowly built above, as the habitation for the higher-up of the scorpionfolk.

I actually thought about that but then I looked at the tlincalli entry in MoF and noticed that they don't have a climb speed. In fact, they don't even have climb as a skill!

I found that kind of weird for a race whose mode of locomotion uses entirely arachnid anatomy. I had thought, that a "hive-city" need not necessarily be developed completely like a true scorpion hive (do scorpions have hives???).

I also saw mention that Oaxaptupa was a "hive-city," (in Underdark) but it doesn't really mention that all of their cities necessarily are designed that way. T'lincal itself, even though it is the center of their culture might be designed more around divination than the necessity of a hive design.

Also, if you've seen my other settlement Iercolai, I tried to make that as close as possible to a hive without the necessity for the ability to climb. The massive central pillar is wrapped in a spiral staircase and the 33 small entrances give it enough of a hive feel.

What do you think, is it possible to get away with T'lincal as is? Or should I demote that work to a lesser settlement and brainstorm a bit for T'lincal. Come to think of it, the real T'lincal could have numerous "nests" connected by stone pathways...

Anyway... T'lincal, or whatever the place I have linked to is called has some unique features that you might find interesting. For example, area 9 is going to be known as the "Inverted Pyramid of Huoxopica." Sacrifices from this temple/pyramid/carved stalagtite will be dropped onto the patterned floor below and the tlincalli will interpret divinations from the gruesome pattern formed. Too nasty?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  02:46:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually thought about that but then I looked at the tlincalli entry in MoF and noticed that they don't have a climb speed. In fact, they don't even have climb as a skill!
Curious.

Maybe this is something we could tinker with? Especially if we're going to tackle grafts which allow the recipient of the graft to assume the same kind of arachnid agility of the original scorpionfolk.
quote:
I found that kind of weird for a race whose mode of locomotion uses entirely arachnid anatomy. I had thought, that a "hive-city" need not necessarily be developed completely like a true scorpion hive (do scorpions have hives???).
Scorpions generally live underground or beneath mounds/rock formations.

Perhaps your version of T'lincal could the "surface" of their underground city -- the portion of their hive that allows trade and interaction with the peoples of the Above World.
quote:
I also saw mention that Oaxaptupa was a "hive-city," (in Underdark) but it doesn't really mention that all of their cities necessarily are designed that way. T'lincal itself, even though it is the center of their culture might be designed more around divination than the necessity of a hive design.
That works too.
quote:
Also, if you've seen my other settlement Iercolai, I tried to make that as close as possible to a hive without the necessity for the ability to climb. The massive central pillar is wrapped in a spiral staircase and the 33 small entrances give it enough of a hive feel.

What do you think, is it possible to get away with T'lincal as is? Or should I demote that work to a lesser settlement and brainstorm a bit for T'lincal. Come to think of it, the real T'lincal could have numerous "nests" connected by stone pathways...
I like it the way that you've designed it so far. But I also think some hive-like element should be incorporated. Whether it be, as I said above, something located beneath the surface, or surrounding "nests" as you've suggested here.

Maybe the hive-element actually refers to the way in which each t'lincalli settlement is connected with another -- either by terrestrial tunnels or more arcane means, like portals. Perhaps the actual "hive" merely represents the totality of scorpionfolk habitations across Toril.
quote:
Sacrifices from this temple/pyramid/carved stalagtite will be dropped onto the patterned floor below and the tlincalli will interpret divinations from the gruesome pattern formed. Too nasty
I like the subtle Maztican-vibe you're maintaining here. Good stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  03:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you found the solution. going off and expanding on what you said, the boxy homes in the work are just the surface portion of the underground "hive."

I think it's kind of funny that the overall cavern already is far "underground," and yet it too has its own underground, but oddly it works. A complex system underneath wouldn't be conducive to community events, such as the sacrificing and divining so all that can be done "above-ground." Living quarters really exist in the hive below.

Thank you for that!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  17:32:02  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also noted the lack of a climb ability when doing my homework for the grafts. I'd be tempted to consider it an oversight, and 'officially' give scorpionfolk a climb speed in the Netbook, but I know Seethyr likes to keep things canon.

As The Sage has pointed out already, scorpions do not have hives. The majority live fairly solitary lives - the most I've ever seen together was three, and I think that was due to the abundance of food rather than any social ties!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2011 :  23:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also noted the lack of a climb ability when doing my homework for the grafts. I'd be tempted to consider it an oversight, and 'officially' give scorpionfolk a climb speed in the Netbook, but I know Seethyr likes to keep things canon.

Yeah, I apologize for being such a stickler to canon. I'm not that way in my own campaigns, it's only when I am writing material that I think others might possibly read. It maintains a nice common ground that people can sway from as needed. On the other hand, where canon falls short, I certainly love to add (instead of replace).

Speaking of adding... I got to test out the Monster Design Assistant and created a bunch of beasties for the guidebook. I wont put the full stats here, but a brief summary of each along with a link to the art I was kindly allowed to use.

Cibarius Swarm: Diminutive arachnid that emit a form a bio-luminescence. They typically inhabit the ceilings of great vaults in the Underdark giving them a "star-like" appearance. Generally non-threatening unless threatened themselves at which point they form a swarm and the small amounts of electrical power each emits collectively does electricity damage.

Crystal Scorpion: The scorpionfolk answer to guardian golems. Faerzress flows through their crystalline forms.

Feathered Scorpion: The only good god of the scorpionfolk Pachutoxli created these being after being impressed with Qotal's couatls. Essentially, these brightly plumed flying monstrous scorpions are couatls in a different form. [Note the lack of art...anyone good artists out there ?

Hurachnid:Vile undead created as a natural response to the act of creation of the scorpionfolk race. Essentially they appear as dead scorpion carapaces that have half vomited forth a rotting human being, forming an awful caricature of a scorpionfolk. They can disgorge the entire corpse which then becomes a ghast under their control.

The Obyrith-Touched (Image 1) Image 2): The result of Obox-ob's influence on the scorpionfolk. The template basically gives a vermin-like monstrous humanoid many of the same abilities as the obyrith of Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss. I used image 1 for my cover.

Sciorah:A colossal beast of Obox-ob's brood and a resident of Zionyn, the 663rd layer of the Abyss. Known to have one of the deadliest poison stings in existence with an extension to the tail's reach.

Scorilla: Much like the Lhosk of MMIII is an amalgamation of spider and great ape, the scorilla is scorpion and great ape. These brutes are used by the physically weak opistacanthi as guards and brute force.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  03:35:03  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Webhurler

The sting at the end of the scorpionfolk’s tail has been replaced with silk-spinning spinnerets.

Graft Location: Tail Stinger
Description: The webhurler graft has only recently appeared amongst the tlincalli. Scorpionfolk out of the Faerunian colony of Oaxaptupa captured a group of drow whilst exploring the subterranean Netherese ruins of Philock. The drow offered the scorpionfolk many of their mysteries in return for their freedom. The tlincalli sacrificed them anyway, but it seems the secret of scorpionfolk’s webhurling graft stems from those desperate confessionals.
The webhurler graft is a relatively common alteration within Oaxaptupa, and recently chitincrafters in Ieralocai have also demonstrated knowledge of the process.
In place of the barbed tip common to scorpionfolk are a set of spinnerets, akin to those of a spider. There are six individual spinnerets, which work together to weave a web. A scorpionfolk with this graft can hurl a web by uncoiling its tail in an explosive motion.
The webhurler is inferior to the highly developed spinnerets of a true spider. They are messy affairs, constantly dropping and trailing silk. Scorpionfolk with this graft often look quite unkempt, with fragments of web draped about their tails and hind legs. A sticky, congealed mass of secreted silk commonly builds up on the scorpionfolk’s back beneath the spinnerets; some scorpionfolk take advantage of this deposit and glue useful items into the residue.
Despite the physical similarities of spiders and scorpions, the webhurler graft is never really accepted its bearer’s body. As a result, scorpionfolk with this graft usually lack the strength of their broodmates.
Activation: Excreting silk to build a web is considered a free action, although webmaking is a laborious task for scorpionfolk. Webhurling is considered an extraordinary attack and is a standard action.
Effect: A webhurler is an inferior copy of a spider’s spinnerets, and furthermore a scorpionfolk’s heavy limbs lack the finesse to shape a web effectively. It takes two hours to create 5’ worth of cobwebs using a webhurler. These webs are fairly obvious, and are noticed with a DC 10 Spot check, although clever scorpionfolk coat them with dust and grime to conceal them (increasing the DC to 15). A creature that blunders into a web becomes entangled. Escape is possible with a DC 13 Escape Artist check or a DC 17 Strength check. If the creature has something to walk or grab on whilst attempting to break free they gain a +5 bonus (this is often the case as scorpionfolk usually create webs close to the ground). Webs can be destroyed; each 5’ section has 10 hit points but damage resistance 5/fire.
Due to their size and weight, scorpionfolk cannot walk on the webs they create.
Webs can be hurled 4/day. A hurled web has a range of 50’ (with a range increment of 10’) and is effective against creatures up to one size category larger than the scorpionfolk. Creatures struck are entangled as per the rules above. To increase the effectiveness of the webs, scorpionfolk with the webhurler graft tend to concentrate their fire on one opponent. For every additional web that hits the target, the DCs to break free increase by three. The web also gains four hit points.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft feat, Web, 3,500 GP, 280 XP, 14 days crafting
Graft Donor: Spinnerets from a large monstrous spider
Graft Sacrifice: -1 Strength and 2 hit points (permanent)
Price: 7,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barbed Impaler

Whilst a scorpionfolk’s tail usually ends in a poisoned stinger, this scorpionfolk bears a massive chitin blade in its place.

Graft Location: Tail Stinger
Description: The scorpionfolk’s tail stringer has been transformed into a fearsome melee weapon. Instead of a sting for delivering venom, it features a swordlike length of chitin covered in dozens of backwards pointing barbs. A scorpionfolk with the barbed impaler graft no longer retains any poison in its tail. Instead, the modification is a fearsome offensive weapon, allowing it skewer enemies with the tail blade. This graft not only alters physiology of the scorpionfolk’s tail, but also the fine tuning of its nervous and sensory system. As a result, it is adept at attacking with the impaler to the detriment of its other weapons.
Scorpionfolk bearing the barbed impaler graft are notorious braggarts. Many will leave the decaying remains of an enemy impaled upon their stinger for days and even weeks as a display of their battle prowess or even as a convenient source of food! Such vain demonstrations often prove costly if the scorpionfolk is surprised by an enemy, for its impaler is quite impotent in battle if it is being used to mount a macabre trophy.
Activation: The barbed impaler is considered a normal natural weapon.
Effect: The barbed impaler does 2d4 damage (plus any Strength bonus) on a successful hit. It critical hit range is 19-20 with a x3 multiplier. Furthermore, a critical hit indicates the possibility of impalement. The scorpionfolk makes an opposed grapple attempt, success means its foe is impaled.
An impaled creature cannot move and is considered to occupy the same square as the scorpionfolk (it’s transfixed in the air, held aloft on the scorpionfolk’s tail). Taking any action causes incredible pain, and requires a DC20 Concentration check to be successful and causes a further 1d3 points of damage regardless. The impaled creature can still attack foes in reach, including the scorpionfolk that has impaled him. He may also attempt to end the impalement with another opposed grapple (this is considered a full action). Success means the grappled creature frees himself, but suffers a further 3d4 points of damage.
A sunder attempt can also sever the barbed impaler from its host. The tail is has 10 hit points and a hardness of 8. If the tail is sundered, the impaled creature can now move at half speed, but the other penalties continue until the barbed impaler has been removed.
The barbed impaler can be removed if the tail is sundered or the scorpionfolk is slain. A DC 20 heal check is made, success indicates removal without damage. If the check fails, the impaled creature suffers 1d3 points of damage and another attempt at removal must be made.
Only creatures one size category smaller than the scorpionfolk can be impaled. The scorpionfolk cannot attack further with the barbed impaler whilst an enemy is impaled.
The scorpionfolk receives a +1 to attack rolls and grapple attempts when using the barbed impaler.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Keen Edge, 4,500 GP, 360 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: A claw from a fang dragon
Graft sacrifice: -2 attack rolls when using other weapons (claws, weapons etc.)
Price: 9,000 GP

Edited by - MalariaMoon on 03 Dec 2011 16:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are fantastic, particularly the lore behind their genesis. Keep 'em flowing!

If you're having troubles pricing the items by the way, you may want to check out this thread. The suggestions there helped me out a lot.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  00:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a quick question that maybe someone could help me with. Has "scorpionfolk" or tlincalli ever been done as a playable race or even monster class?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:39:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a third-party product that offered player-character creation rules for generic scorpionfolk. The product's title escapes me at the moment, but I'll try and track it down for you.

[I think there may have also been something like this included in 3.5e's Sandstorm accessory. I'll have to check that as well.]

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Nov 2011 01:41:04
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  02:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was a third-party product that offered player-character creation rules for generic scorpionfolk. The product's title escapes me at the moment, but I'll try and track it down for you.

[I think there may have also been something like this included in 3.5e's Sandstorm accessory. I'll have to check that as well.]

Oh great, thank you very much.

I have a feeling you may be referring to the Slayer's Guide to Scorpionfolk which I have yet to read. If it does, it might bring up some good ideas for the netbook.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  19:13:20  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Though I’ve never played a Maztica campaign, this is great stuff and thanks for sharing!

Having dealt with scorpions for most of my life (I live in Arizona) and have visited multiple locations throughout the world that have many species of these little arachnids during travels and deployments, I am finding your ideas to be quite helpful in the campaign I am planning. Do you mind if I copy/paste some of your work into my personal notebook for use in the campaign? I hadn’t gotten around to working on that section yet and your ideas are far more advanced than the stage I am at. It will save me a large amount of time. Any other ideas I come up with to adapt/change them for use in Faerun I will be sure to share with you either by this scroll or via private message, though it may be a bit until I complete work on the campaign.

quote:
One other thing crossed my mind. Do you have any intention of drawing on whip scorpions as inspiration? I noted that the Palphonti scorpionfolk have a whiplike appendage, but otherwise seem quite different. I spent a year living in a remote area of Peru, and whip scorpions regularly got into my room. They're pretty big and pretty hideous (although in actual fact fairly harmless); a whip scorpion of monstrous size, perhaps with additional powers or mutations would make a deadly opponent for a party of adventurers.

quote:
The vibe I get from tlincalli is that they wouldn't much appreciate aspects of their sacred form grafted onto to creatures, particularly sentient beings. However, I could envisage the scorpionfolk creating formidable battle beasts by stitching together giant sized features of various insectoid and arachnoid creatures. Perhaps some of the more marginal deities in the pantheon of scorpionfolk gods might indulge the crafting of scorpion features onto other beings if it serves their own agendas.

I couldn’t help combining the ideas above with MM’s graft ideas and came up with the following for use either as a suggestion for an amped up whip scorpion tail, or a form of graft for what I’ll call a Maztican Arach-sectoid Golem, for lack of a better way to describe MM’s “…stitching together giant sized features of various insectoid and arachnoid creatures.”

The term whip suggests a fast moving appendage to my mind and the whip scorpions I’ve encountered do not have a tail stinger (it is usually considered to be an organ of touch/sensing). Since this is fantasy, I don’t feel too bad about varying on its use for our purposes. If you want to make the tail a method of attack and/or draw on the graft idea, we could use the idea of a snake-like appendage. You could give the tail a bite-attack (piercing damage with poison damage at DM/Creator discretion) or make it similar to a dragon’s tail attack which would cause bludgeoning damage (reference large constrictor-type snakes which often slam with their head to stun prey while they envelop them).
quote:
Scorpions generally live underground or beneath mounds/rock formations.

Perhaps your version of T'lincal could the "surface" of their underground city -- the portion of their hive that allows trade and interaction with the peoples of the Above World.

Hmm…rock formations….like mountains/canyons? Sounds like terrain you’d find a lot of in Arizona/Mexico. Bear in mind I’ve never played a Maztica campaign and have no source literature for it but could that put them in competition with other races who favor the same terrain (such as dwarves)? An old dwarven citadel might make a great start for a hive of tlincali and if they're trying to clense/reclaim it, lead to some great racial tensions (read as plot generators).

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2011 :  23:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

Seethyr,

Though I’ve never played a Maztica campaign, this is great stuff and thanks for sharing!

Having dealt with scorpions for most of my life (I live in Arizona) and have visited multiple locations throughout the world that have many species of these little arachnids during travels and deployments, I am finding your ideas to be quite helpful in the campaign I am planning. Do you mind if I copy/paste some of your work into my personal notebook for use in the campaign? I hadn’t gotten around to working on that section yet and your ideas are far more advanced than the stage I am at. It will save me a large amount of time.

I certainly do not mind! It's exactly the purpose I've been writing this for and it makes me very happy when others use what I've written. If you'd like I'll gladly send the first draft of the book (incomplete but loaded with good artwork).

quote:

I couldn’t help combining the ideas above with MM’s graft ideas and came up with the following for use either as a suggestion for an amped up whip scorpion tail, or a form of graft for what I’ll call a Maztican Arach-sectoid Golem, for lack of a better way to describe MM’s “…stitching together giant sized features of various insectoid and arachnoid creatures.”

Totally reminds me of the serpentflesh golem from Serpent Kingdoms. Since the scorpionfolk (speculatively) think their forms are perfect, I think such a construct would be created by their enemies to "stick it to them," similar to the purpose of the serpentflesh golems.

quote:

The term whip suggests a fast moving appendage to my mind and the whip scorpions I’ve encountered do not have a tail stinger (it is usually considered to be an organ of touch/sensing). Since this is fantasy, I don’t feel too bad about varying on its use for our purposes. If you want to make the tail a method of attack and/or draw on the graft idea, we could use the idea of a snake-like appendage. You could give the tail a bite-attack (piercing damage with poison damage at DM/Creator discretion) or make it similar to a dragon’s tail attack which would cause bludgeoning damage (reference large constrictor-type snakes which often slam with their head to stun prey while they envelop them).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read that the extinct species of sea scorpions had an actual whiplike tail. It was a while ago now that I developed them, but the palophonti subspecies were intended to have been based off of this. You definitely just brought up another great collection of graft ideas.

quote:

Hmm…rock formations….like mountains/canyons? Sounds like terrain you’d find a lot of in Arizona/Mexico. Bear in mind I’ve never played a Maztica campaign and have no source literature for it but could that put them in competition with other races who favor the same terrain (such as dwarves)? An old dwarven citadel might make a great start for a hive of tlincali and if they're trying to clense/reclaim it, lead to some great racial tensions (read as plot generators).

I do love the thought of tlincalli taking over the ancestral homes of other races, but I've been trying to keep that angle directed only towards Faerun itself. Oaxaptupa is a perfect example, but I consider Maztica to be the scorpionfolk point of origin. I have focused less on Oaxaptupa-like places, and more of a uniquely scorpionfolk design.

On another note, I am glad there is additional interest in this project again, I was slacking a bit because of a lull in ideas. In my next post, I will try to assemble an outline of "what's left to do," so the work can become a little more focused. The page count is currently at 38 (with about 5 or 6 more pages scattered in notes) which is so much bigger than I initially had thought !

Next on the list is an attached adventure called "Den of Scorpions." In it scorpionfolk worshipers of Obox-ob enact an evil plot on the Amnians back in Maztica as the second prong of their overall revenge plan (for Maztica's plundering). I don't want to give it all away, but I am, lol... They are going to attempt a massive ritual to summon thousands of ekolid from Zionyn to wreak havoc in Helmsport or another Amn-controlled location. Details aren't completely worked out yet, but it will rely heavily on the Obyrith-touched template and other materials from the book.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:01:12  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spitting Stinger

The barb of the scorpionfolk’s stinger has been transformed into a hollow nozzle which can spit poison at its enemies.

Graft location: Tail Stinger
Description: This stinger graft replaces the scorpionfolk’s barb with a thin cylinder of transparent chitin. The bulb is startlingly distended with three separate sacks of different coloured poison – purple, amber and crimson. A complicated network of tubings connect these venom sacks with the nozzle, these pipes are stretched throughout the scorpionfolk’s tail. By rapid flexing of its tail, the scorpionfolk can generate enough pressure within the tubes to shoot spurts of poison at its enemies.
The different coloured poisons have correspondingly different effects, all of which take effect upon contact with the skin. The purple poison is simply a less viscous variant of the standard scorpionfolk venom. The amber poison is directed at the eyes of opponents, and causes a blindness that can last several days. The crimson poison has hallucinogenic properties, sowing confusion amongst those it contacts. This final type is considered sacred to the scorpionfolk, who ingest small amounts to experience short, intense visions. It is also mildly addictive, and scorpionfolk with this graft often become hooked on their own juices. On rare occasions, the dependence becomes so grave the scorpionfolk does nothing but imbibe its poison, making it useless to the wider communities it serves. When this happens, the chitincrafters forcible reclaim the valuable stinger graft (invariably leading to the death of the host).
Activation: Using the spitting stinger is a full round action.
Effect: The spitting stinger has a range of 20’ and can be used against one target per round. The scorpionfolk makes a ranged attack to strike its target.
The purple poison is identical to its host’s normal stinger venom.
The amber poison is only effective if directed into the eyes of a foe. Obviously this requires greater accuracy from the scorpionfolk, who suffers a penalty to his attack roll. Consider -4 to be the standard penalty, but the DM may opt to increase this penalty if the target’s eyes are especially well protected. If the target is struck and fails a DC 15 Fortitude save he is blinded for 1d4 days.
The crimson, hallucinogenic poison can be resisted with a DC 18 Will save. Those who fail their save are considered under the effects of confusion (as per the spell, although this is a nonmagical effect) for 3d4 rounds.
Each poison sack of the spitting stinger contains enough venom to be used three times per day (thus it can make a total of nine attacks per day). The stinger itself is too weak to be used in melee.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Blindness/Deafness, Confusion, 480 XP, 6,000 GP, 10 days
Graft donor: Glands from a Giant Bombardier Beetle.
Graft sacrifice: -2 Wisdom (permanent).
Price: 12,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:08:00  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pincer Claws

The scorpionfolk’s foremost pair of legs have been removed and replaced with two heavy pincers resembling the foremost limbs of standard scorpions.

Graft location: Foremost walking legs
Description: Most strains of scorpionfolk have lost the pincers of their forebears in favour of manipulative claws which allow them to grasp weapons and tools, or to perform the dextrous somatic gestures of spellcasting. However, despite their crudeness, pincer claws make formidable natural weapons. It is no surprise that the earliest experiments by the scorpionfolk in reshaping their own bodies resulted in these grafts, and they remain the most common grafts seen amongst the tlincalli.
Although on rare occasions scorpionfolk opt to sacrifice their manipulative claws in favour of pincers, the majority graft them in place of the foremost pair of their eight walking legs. Obviously, scorpionfolk with this graft move slightly slower than their nestmates.
Activation: Pincer claws are considered normal natural weapons.
Effect: A scorpionfolk with this graft gains two pincer claw attacks in addition to its standard claws, Each claw does 1d8 points of damage. When making a full attack, a scorpionfolk can use its stinger, pincer claws and standard claws (or a weapon grasped within them). In most cases, the scorpionfolk elects to use its stinger as the primary weapon, thus the other claw attacks incur a -5 penalty to their attack rolls. Many scorpionfolk take the Multiattack feat in order to overcome this deficiency.
A pincer claw can also be used to grapple opponents of equal or smaller size to the scorpionfolk. IF it strikes with either pincer claw, it may start a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it’s successful, it can crush the grappled opponent for 1d8 damage. On subsequent rounds, the scorpionfolk can elect to crush a grappled opponent in its claw (automatically causing 1d8 damage) or attack using its stinger (the victim gains no dexterity bonus to AC, and furthermore the scorpionfolk gains a +4to attack rolls). A creature grappled in a pincer claw can only attack opponents in adjacent squares and can only cast spells following a successful concentration check (DC 15). Attack rolls and skill checks incur -4 penalties.
To grapple a foe of equal size to the scorpionfolk it must make a successful grapple attempt with both pincers. With regards to creatures smaller than scorpionfolk, only a single pincer is needed. Thus, in theory a scorpionfolk can simultaneously grapple a smaller creature in each claw.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Magic Fang, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: Claws from a Monstrous Scorpion of large size.
Graft sacrifice: -5’ to speed.
Price: 6,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:12:15  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tri-Claw

One of the scorpionfolk’s grafted pincers had not two but three interlocking tines.

Graft prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: One pincer claw
Description: A pincer claw graft can be upgraded with the addition of an extra tine. The three tines lock together when snapped shut, making the claw a more effective grappling tool.
This modification is one of the least taxing to a scorpionfolk’s physiology, as it only involves reworking the chitin of the pincer claw and some minor rerouting of tendons and nerve endings. The graft can be taken twice if the scorpionfolk wishes to possess a pair of tri-claws.
Activation: The tri-claw is considered a normal natural weapon.
Effect: A tri-claw does 1d10 points of damage with a normal attack or a crush attack. It is especially effective at grappling; all grapple attempts and opposed checks are made with a +2 bonus. In all other respects, follow the rules for the pincer claws graft above.

Attributes: Moderate transmutation, CL 10th
Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Greater Magic Fang, 1,500 GP, 120 XP, 5 days
Graft donor: The claw of Monstrous Scorpion of large size.
Graft sacrifice: 2 hit points (permanent)
Price: 3,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:18:10  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colossus Claw

One of the grafted pincers is of massive size, some three times larger than its matching claw.

Graft prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: One pincer claw
Description: One of the most extreme of the scorpionfolk’s grafts is the colossus claw. Perhaps inspired by the extreme asymmetry of the tiny fiddler crabs that inhabit the mangroves of Utalan, one pincer claw is vastly bigger than the other. The colossus claw is a devastating weapon, causing great damage in melee and it is even strong enough to tear down buildings. It can also be used as a shield, its size and hardness ideal for blocking the blows of its enemies.
Although most popular amongst the imperatonti, the cost and skill needed to create a colossus claw means it is not a common graft. Those scorpionfolk that carry it are often revered by their communities, and in fact their attitude can sometimes be quite contradictory, for whilst these scorpionfolk are formidable weapons they are also expensive to replace if slain.
Colossus claws are usually decorated with paints or designs carved directly into the chitin. The workmanship that goes into these designs is often beautiful and quite at odds with gruesome task the claw serves. Common motifs are the symbols of the deities the scorpionfolk holds fealty too, the arms of the city it calls home or figures intended to instil fear in its foes.
The sheer size of the colossus claw graft radically unbalances its bearer. As such, despite its power its attacks are quite clumsy. Furthermore, the grafting is lengthy, torturous and draining for the host. A scorpionfolk can only ever possess a single colossus claw.
Activation: The colossus claw is considered a normal natural weapon. Its armour class bonus is considered equivalent to a shield and the bonus does not apply against touch attacks or if the scorpionfolk is flatfooted.
Effect: The colossus claw is treated just as a pincer claw graft except for the following differences. It is considered to have a Strength score equal to its scorpionfolk host +10. The subsequent bonuses apply to only to attack rolls, damage and grapple checks using the colossus claw, all other attacks use the scorpionfolk’s base strength. The claw’s base damage is 3d8 whether as a standard or crush attack, and it can grapple creatures up to one size category larger than the scorpionfolk.
The colossus claw also provides a +3 shield bonus to AC but incurs a -2 armour check penalty.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Bigby’s Crushing Fist (known as Axipotl’s Crushing Claw amongst the scorpionfolk), 8,500 GP, 680 XP, 20 days
Graft donor: The claw of a Monstrous Scorpion of huge size.
Graft sacrifice: -2 penalty to all attack rolls, 6 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 17,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:23:19  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Burrowing Claws

The tines of the scorpionfolk’s pincer claws are fused together, transforming a pair of dangerous natural weapons into an excellent pair of chitinous spades.

Graft Prerequisite: Pincer Claws
Graft location: Both pincer claws
Description: This graft sacrifices the combat utility of the pincer claws graft for a formidable burrowing ability. The majority of the scorpionfolk are subterranean, and although they often inhabit the abandoned ruins of other races they are themselves an industrious people. Scorpionfolk with burrowing claws are often great engineers, and at the vanguard of the tlincalli’s efforts to shape their physical environment. At the direction of their diviners, they demolish and dig, creating the sacred geometry so representative of a scorpionfolk settlement. They also carve out tiered sequences of tunnels that allow the scorpionfolk to take the best advantage of their bolthole magic.
Activation: Burrowing claws are used as a part of a move action.
Effect: A scorpionfolk with burrowing claws gains a 20’ burrow speed. It can still use its burrowing claws as weapons, but they cannot be used to make a grapple attack and only inflict 1d6 damage.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Burrow*, 3,000 GP, 240 XP, 5 days
Graft Donor: Delver slime (to meld the pincers into a spade like limb)
Graft Sacrifice: 2 hit points (permanent)
Cost: 6,000 GP

* Spell Compendium
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  16:35:38  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A whole new raft of grafts Seethyr. I’ve also added some extra lore to the barbed impaler graft and changed the spell used in its construction. Being lazy, I’ve not used the numerous useful sources your thread pointed me too and instead made rough comparisons with similar canon grafts. Feel free to adjust matters if my prices seem off.

I too enjoy the lore more, so I’ve tried to pad the crunch with some good fluff. I hope it doesn’t contradict anything you’ve already written.

Next on my hit list are grafts based on the whip-scorpion feeler.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  01:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is some bad@$$ stuff man. I'm in love with the Colossus Claw in particular and I'm thinking of dropping my current character to play an imperatonti plumaweaver of Pachutaloxi soon. I'd love to give him one of those!

I have made a little progress with the adventure "Den of Scorpions." Here is the DMs background and I am wondering what you think. Its unedited so be merciful on the grammar lol.

“When Trikata’ten foresaw the coming of the Amnians decades ago she despaired. She cared not for the welfare of the upperworld, but rather that her god would not smite the intruders. Huoxopica had grown complacent and it was time she sought out a new, more powerful patron.”

DM’s Background:

Though they have no love, nor even sympathy for the realms of man, Cordell’s invasion of the aboveground nations left many scorpionfolk furious and seething for revenge. Diviners cried out to their gods and begged for guidance. Huoxopica, however, had long foreseen the coming of the Amnians. Ages ago he divined the coming of the Golden Legion to the day and when they arrived, he sought council among his pantheon.

The warlike gods Ek-Chua and Vulkoon were the most verbal in destroying the intruders. Like the mortal scorpionfolk of the present day, they saw the plundering of the surface world as an affront to all scorpionfolk. Vulkoon was concerned that the new breed of mankind might actually be a threat to scorpionfolk, but he wisely kept his opinion to himself. Pachutalixi and Axipotl, typically bitter rivals in all things, oddly agreed on leaving the interlopers be. Pachutalixi never sought senseless violence and Axipotl knew that as a surface race, his devoted opistacanthi would suffer the most losses should it come to war. Malinalxochitl, Ixtilli and Corantllil had little to say either way, but if it came to a vote, the seductress remarked that she would choose the route that brought to her the greatest amount of sacrifices. On the other hand Corantllil, in deference to his ally Pachutalixi, would have voted against war. Ixtilli is the only deity other than Huoxopica himself that would truly have abstained. In her eyes, taking any one side would make her equal to the other gods and therefore subservient to her husband.

With a deadlocked vote, Huoxopica’s decision would come to rely on the one remaining deity, Nantzintli Coloti. This was a fortunate circumstance because of the entire pantheon; she had the greatest knowledge of the foreigners and her views could indeed be considered the wisest. Only she, in her guise as Glau, had interacted with the foreigners and their gods and knew what they were capable of.

Glau had in fact suspected even before Huoxopica’s divination that there would come a time when the True World and the faraway land of Faerun would come to conflict.

Ek-chua claimed that Glau was a coward, but she had made her decision. The scorpionfolk would not interfere. Survival was not cowardice, and there were more subtle ways to make the newcomers suffer.

As they were ever-trusting of their deities, the vast majority of scorpionfolk abided by the decision of their gods. Followers of the dreaded obyrith lord Obox-ob, however, had other plans. Huoxopica has always had a blind spot in his otherwise flawless vision when it comes to the machinations of this once great lord of vermin. It could be willful ignorance or a remnant of Obox-ob’s once vast power, but Huoxopica was incapable of divining the betrayal. Scorpionfolk who follow the demon refused to obey Huoxopica’s decree. In fact, the decision was so enraging to them that many turned their backs on the scorpionfolk pantheon forever.

When the legionnaires completed their conquest of the True World, the tlincalli sank even deeper into the worship of their demonic patron. Though they had existed for decades, the malformed and madness inducing scorpionfolk known as the obyrith-touched grew in prominence. Obox-ob gave his faithful servants a ritual to transport over one-thousand manscorpions to Amn and found the underground realm of Oaxaptupa. Few know however that those faithful left behind have been planning their own act of revenge to make the remaining humans pay for their transgression.

Obox-ob has given this small sect of tlincalli yet another gift to help accomplish this dark vengeance. A powerful tlincalli diviner known as Trikata’ten was formerly devoted to Huoxopica. His “betrayal” led her to despise the deity and turn to the obyrith lord. She dreamed a ritual, sent by Obox-ob, which would open a gate directly into the realm of Zionyn on the 663rd level of the Abyss. From this gate thousands of the insectoid obyrith known as ekolid will pour forth and rein destruction upon the men of Helmsport.

What the diviner does not know is that the ekolid will destroy more than just Helmsport. The ekolid will swarm over all the True World, whether it includes the men of Amn, native Mazticans or even the manscorpions themselves! Obox-ob is an ancient evil and cares little for his mortal worshipers.

If Trikata’ten’s ritual is not stopped, the entirety of the True World could be in danger.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 07 Dec 2011 22:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  07:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I too enjoy the lore more, so I’ve tried to pad the crunch with some good fluff. I hope it doesn’t contradict anything you’ve already written.

The lore is definitely so much more fun to write. I dread the stat part.

Speaking of lore, do you have more info on this Utalan Mangrove you mentioned? Sounds interesting!
quote:
Next on my hit list are grafts based on the whip-scorpion feeler.

I know you spent a lot of time with some nasty little critters in Peru, but have you seen these things??? Nasty buggers, but maybe this image could help inspire you a bit for the next set of grafts. Check out the mention of its "vinegar-smelling spray" as well. There is potential in that!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  13:20:49  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure set-up looks great. Suitably epic but also suitably accessible for different adventuring parties.

I don't have any lore on the Utalan Mangrove. The inspiration for the Colossus Claw came from fiddler crabs, which live in mangroves. I wanted to tie them to an existing Maztican location, so I found the poster map and searched around until I found a suitable looking march. The Utalan marsh presented itself - somewhere below Payit if memory serves.

I'm familiar with the vinegaroon - this is one of the true whip scorpions, whereas the one that I showed you a called tailless in order to distinguish them. I'm duly inspired, I'll include some kind of poison gas graft to the the whip feeler roster.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  18:51:35  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Check out the mention of its "vinegar-smelling spray" as well. There is potential in that!

Science geek time!

It occurs to me that poison may not be the right 'element' for the graft because vinegar IRL is a weak acid.

Brainstorming for ways to make it an acid attack, I came up with the following:
1. Effect similar to Melf's Acid Arrow in use, meaning some sort of damage-over-time.
2. Possibly creates a Sunder-like effect - degrades AC due to softening of metals/hides - which wears off after x-rounds (initial thought 1d4 rounds). I envision use of this being an attack-from-ambush to, quite literally, 'soften up' the target while he closes into range.
3. Possible acid grenade-type effect. Target takes x-damage, adjacent squares take 1/2(x) damage.

Drawing on the '...smelling spray' idea:
1. Effects similar to Stinking Cloud spell on target (edit: target area).
2. Target Sickened 1d4 rounds
3. Confirmed Critical: Target Nauseated

Thanks to all for sharing the great ideas! I greatly appreciate this discussion as I was planning on including scorpion-folk races in the campaign I'm building. Obviously I have some refinement to do on these ideas, saves, DCs, etc. but that is what discussion is for. I can only do so much from work...

Good Hunting!
Wolfhound

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 08 Dec 2011 17:26:34
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  22:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to defer to you guys on that particular graft but I will say either or both will be great. I can't wait to see how they work out!

I finally found the Utalan mangrove and you were right it is south of Far Payit.

As far as the adventure goes, I edited the DMs Background a bit to fix its awkward grammar and I have also created a map and begun detailing rooms. Here is the Players background as well. Its a bit vanilla (the whole caravan guard thing) but it gets PCs into the action pretty quickly.

Den of Scorpions Map

Player’s Background:

Cordell knows quite well that Maztica is a dangerous land but losing two supply caravans in one tenday cannot be a coincidence. Something or someone has caused the disappearance of a fortune in goods that were on their way to the Golden Legion’s Kultakan allies.

With little to spare in the way of manpower, Cordell looks to outside help and is offering 1,000 gp in Amnian gold for good information, or 10,000 gp for an actual solution to the problem. This is a difficult offer for any adventurer, native or foreign, to refuse.

If the PCs don’t come up with a viable plan of their own, and are at a loss for a ways to investigate the disappearances, Cordell suggests they spend a brief period as caravan guards. One is due in Helmsport within the next tenday, and by the time the PCs reach it (if they leave immediately, Cordell warns), it should be arriving at the point where the last two caravans disappeared. Cordell gives them a letter of introduction for the caravan master, who he claims is an aspiring eagle knight known as Tapochitl.

Also, any thoughts on PrCs? All I could think of is the Chitincrafter MM mentioned and some type of diviner that has a knack for reading patterns in the world around him or her. I can't even think of a name for it yet. Master of Mosaics? Pattern Reader? I'd like to work with that concept because their existence plays right into the canon material from the Oaxaptupa description.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 08 Dec 2011 04:02:14
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  16:10:26  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whip Feelers

This scorpionfolk boasts a pair of jointed, chitinous feelers. Incredibly long, the feelers whip around constantly like antennae.

Graft location: Torso
Description: The charininti are a subrace of scorpionfolk five centuries extinct from the lands of Maztica. They were created by the god Ek-Chua as servants to the tlincalli, a specialised race of bureaucrats charged with endlessly cataloguing the treasuries of their lords. To better equip them in their inventories, and to ensure their remained servile to their masters, the charininti had no tail stingers. Instead, Ek-Chua gave them long whip-like feelers attached either in pairs beside their legs or in a bundle four, five or six sprouting from the base of their thorax. The feelers darted this way and that, counting and counting the wealth of the tlincalli.
Over many, many years, Ek-Chua’s interest in mercantile pursuits waned in favour of warfare, and his interest in the charininti also dwindled. Neglected by their god, the charininti fell under the sway of Obox-Ob. With his encouragement, the charininti began to quietly hide away significant measures of their masters’ riches. However, their deceit was discovered, and Ek-Chua was outraged. The auguries of the tlincalli diviners were unanimous in their message: annihilate the charininti. The genocide was immediate and total.
Despite the charininti’s betrayal, their legacy remains with the scorpionfolk in the form of whip feeler grafts. The variety and usefulness of these appendages overcome any negative associations they might carry – in fact the Temples of Ek-Chua still contain great storerooms stacked with desiccated, severed charininti feelers. These are the required donors for the graft’s creation, and the faithful of the Black Merchant profit from their sale.
Basic whip feelers in themselves are of limited value, but they are a prerequisite for a number of more advanced and useful grafts.
Scorpionfolk with this graft are often considered sneaky and weak by others of their kind. Perhaps they remember the charininti’s betrayal, or perhaps it is because the addition of yet another set of limbs to the scorpionfolk’s multi-legged torso does somewhat sap the host creature’s strength.
Activation: Whip Feelers can be used to make a normal touch attack.
Effects: Whip feelers have a tremendous reach of 15’. They can be used to deliver touch attacks and as a result are a popular graft amongst spellcasting scorpionfolk. Although too stiff to grasp or carry anything, they can be used to trigger traps from a distance, or to feel around in dark, inaccessible crevices. A scorpionfolk with this graft gains a +2 bonus to Search checks.

Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Giant Vermin, 1,750 GP, 100 XP, 3 days
Graft Donor: Desiccated feeler from a charininti.
Graft Sacrifice: -1 Strength
Cost: 2,500 GP
WHIP FEELERS AND THE PALOPHONTI: The sea-dwelling palophonti already have a whip-like appendage in place of their stinger which they use to infect their enemies with a disease known as the slimy doom. Theoretically, a whip feeler graft could replace a palophonti’s tail, but they are loathe to sacrifice their slimy doom attack. The few palophonti that use the whip feelers graft them directly to their torso.

Edited by - MalariaMoon on 09 Dec 2011 16:26:53
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2011 :  16:25:12  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maroonmusk Glands

This scorpionfolk has a handful of oozing blisters erupting through the chitin of its thorax. Each blister is the size of a man’s head, and a faint, maroon coloured gas leaks from its centre.

Graft Prerequisite: Whip Feelers
Graft Location: Torso
Description: Whip feelers make unlikely but effective natural fans if they disturb the air with enough vigour. This ability has led to one of the most peculiar scorpionfolk grafts – maroonmusk glands.
The blisters bursting through the scorpionfolk’s thorax are swollen with a potent musk which is utterly repellent to almost all creatures with olfactory organs. The musk escapes constantly in small spurts and whisps of tiny droplets which float in the air. A few times a day a scorpionfolk can expel a large cloud of this maroonmusk. By vigorous but precise flailing of its whip feelers, it can direct the horrid cloud to envelop a group of enemies.
Bizarrely, the foul-smelling maroonmusk is actually highly arousing to scorpionfolk. Those possessing maroonmusk glands are often busiest in peacetime, discretely fanning clouds of aphrodisiac at rutting scorpionfolk lords. For this reason, a great many scorpionfolk with this graft belong to the church of Malinalxochitl, where they are hired out to other tlincalli seeking to mate.
Scorpionfolk with maroonmusk glands are not excited by their own perfumes – in fact the graft renders them infertile. It is one of the most physically taxing grafts to possess, and often ruins the health of its host.
Activation: Unleashing a cloud of maroonmusk is considered a full round action.
Effect: The maroonmusk glands allow a scorpionfolk to create an effect akin to a stinking cloud spell 4/day. This is considered an extraordinary spell-like effect. The scorpionfolk’s whip feelers cannot propel the gas very far; the stinking cloud has a range of 30’. It is otherwise identical to the spell as if cast by a caster of 10th level.
Wind can seriously disrupt the efficacy of a maroonmusk cloud. They are useless with a wind force of moderate or stronger. If the wind force is only light, the stinking cloud can still be created, but the cloud is centred on the scorpionfolk (a spell range of 0) and the duration is halved. Of course, weather is rarely a concern in the tunnels the scorpionfolk inhabit.

Attributes: Strong transmutation, faint conjuration, CL 10th
Construction: Requires Create Scorpionfolk Graft, Stinking Cloud, 4,500 GP, 360 XP, 10 days
Graft Donor: Ichor from a dretch
Graft Sacrifice: -4 Constitution
Cost: 9, 000 GP

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000