Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Banishing planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  18:47:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yesterday I was making a mental analisys of the WotSQ saga, yes I think that things sometimes, and something came to my mind. When Lolth did all the messing the souls of her loyals were waiting in a queue, but what about the planes of existance of those gods who are in theory gone? Helm, Eillistrae, Mystra, Azuth, ... I mean the people who were worshipping them and die will go to the Wall but what about those already dead and claimed by them when they were alive? The plane is gone and the souls of those within there too? They have been sent to the wall, or something different has happenned to them?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  19:02:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it was Rich Baker that said the souls are redistributed across the domains of the remaining pantheon, with those lying closer by 'catching' the bulk of them. Usually the domains of gods that are allied are closer to eachother in the Astral Sea, so for example Mystras petitioners that survived the deicide explosion of their homeplane ended up in Selunes domain of the Gates of the Moon.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  19:07:45  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Yesterday I was making a mental analisys of the WotSQ saga, yes I think that things sometimes, and something came to my mind. When Lolth did all the messing the souls of her loyals were waiting in a queue, but what about the planes of existance of those gods who are in theory gone? Helm, Eillistrae, Mystra, Azuth, ... I mean the people who were worshipping them and die will go to the Wall but what about those already dead and claimed by them when they were alive? The plane is gone and the souls of those within there too? They have been sent to the wall, or something different has happenned to them?

Speculation by one of the designers, Rich Baker I think, was that other deities "close to" or allied with the recently killed deity would "take over" until the mortals figured things out.

Helm's faithful would have gone to Torm or Tyr, or another ally.
Eilistraee essentially had Corellon take over for her, which is in the book IIRC.
Mystra's faithful would likely have been taken in by Selūne.
Azuth's could have gone to Selūne, Oghma, or someone similar.

All speculation, of course, as nothing has been explicitly stated (except for Corellon taking in Eilistraee's faithful). But it makes sense. Alternatively, a petitioner might have the option to take the deity to whom they felt "next" closest. If anything, Kelemvor would not want to send honestly faithful souls into the Wall or subject them to servitude in his castle if they genuinely felt close to another deity while alive.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  19:20:17  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

Speculation by one of the designers, Rich Baker I think, was that other deities "close to" or allied with the recently killed deity would "take over" until the mortals figured things out.

Helm's faithful would have gone to Torm or Tyr, or another ally.
Eilistraee essentially had Corellon take over for her, which is in the book IIRC.
Mystra's faithful would likely have been taken in by Selūne.
Azuth's could have gone to Selūne, Oghma, or someone similar.

All speculation, of course, as nothing has been explicitly stated (except for Corellon taking in Eilistraee's faithful). But it makes sense. Alternatively, a petitioner might have the option to take the deity to whom they felt "next" closest. If anything, Kelemvor would not want to send honestly faithful souls into the Wall or subject them to servitude in his castle if they genuinely felt close to another deity while alive.

So the plane keeps up existing or they are simply "translocated", anyways I think Adon was faithfull to Mystra and thanks to Cyric he went to the Wall, so I thought Kelemvor wouldn't be so merciful at all

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  19:25:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Insurance companies and financial institutions fold. Nations and governments collapse. Pagan gods disappear or die. Promises can be broken ... even in the afterlife. I'd think souls might be adopted or subjugated by other gods. Or simply fade from existence through a sort of spiritual starvation. Perhaps, if they are strong enough, they might be able to sustain themselves in some kind of outer planar island, or be forced to migrate to an adjacent plane of belief. Their belief might be assimilated into that of their new patron, or just as likely they would themselves be redefined into a more compatible format.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 14 Sep 2011 19:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  21:10:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the plane keeps up existing or they are simply "translocated", anyways I think Adon was faithfull to Mystra and thanks to Cyric he went to the Wall, so I thought Kelemvor wouldn't be so merciful at all

Well, as far as planes, we know that Eilistraee's plane "wavered" but didn't discorporate when she stopped being a goddess (or perhaps died), and since her charges are under Corellon's care I'd imagine he now controls her old plane. Although Lolth probably gobbled up Eilistraee's small holding in the Abyss, I'd imagine.

Mystra's plane was "destroyed" according to 4E lore, but we haven't actually seen what that means, really.

When Mask got re-absorbed into Shar, his planar keep stayed under the protection of one of his "hands", who is presumably still alive and holding part of Mask's power.

Helm... I -think- his area is probably under the protection of the Triad, so Torm or someone is likely monitoring it. Not sure, though.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mind you, I'm speaking from a pre-4e perspective.

Depending on if they had plans in place for such an event or if it was unexpected, I could see dead gods having the souls of their petitioners distributed to other, allied deities, or simply adopted by other gods of similar portfolio. On the fiendish planes it also might become something of a feeding frenzy once a dead god's domain begins to collapse back into the surrounding plane.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  19:43:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be more interesting (story-wise) if the souls of 'dead gods' became 'free agents', similar to Ronin Samurai. Most would go to a like-minded deity, but not all. Some might even be so disgruntled they decide to play for the opposing team (like one of Helm's faithful becoming a dread knight of Asmodeus, for example).

Think about it - YOUR afterlife is supposed to be FOREVER - wouldn't you feel a little gypped if you were devout your entire life, just to wind-up in some other god's dead-deity ghetto?

Authors take note - there's a great story in there somewhere.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  19:52:17  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It might be more interesting (story-wise) if the souls of 'dead gods' became 'free agents', similar to Ronin Samurai. Most would go to a like-minded deity, but not all. Some might even be so disgruntled they decide to play for the opposing team (like one of Helm's faithful becoming a dread knight of Asmodeus, for example).

Think about it - YOUR afterlife is supposed to be FOREVER - wouldn't you feel a little gypped if you were devout your entire life, just to wind-up in some other god's dead-deity ghetto?

Authors take note - there's a great story in there somewhere.

That's an interesting twist.... I think I might use it in some of my campaigns.... Dead people's souls coming back changed or something...

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  19:52:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always found the mortality of the gods of the Realms to be disturbing. Personally i would prefer the gods to be genuine immortals.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  19:56:13  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I have always found the mortality of the gods of the Realms to be disturbing. Personally i would prefer the gods to be genuine immortals.

I like FR gods cause their imperfections (a la Roman ones),some are greedy, other fools and other naive or short sighted... that make them child with bazzookas , and if you are smart enough and the god is not Lolth you can manage them to serve your pruposes. The fact they can die cause of lack of adoration is an interesting turning.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:16:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem arises when one applies logic: IF a 'deity' is NOT immortal, then it is indeed mortal, and thus, not a true god at all.

I think 'true gods' (Ed's "Watching Gods") Are truly immortal, unless destroyed by a more powerful cosmic being or group of said beings. Most of the gods from mythology - and by extension fantasy fiction - are just Uber-powerful mortals, that have learned some of the 'deep secrets' of the multiverse.

The 'god' Apollo appeared in an episode of Star Trek (Who Mourns for Adonis?), and was nothing more then a powerful entity who seemed mostly human... except for a strange, extra organ (of unknown purpose). That's kinda my take on D&D (and mythological) deities - just normal (perhaps other-wordly) beings who can do things with energy and matter normal folks can't (basically a super-epic wizard who needs no spells to accomplish what he wants).

If gods can die, and Mages can cast Wish, the lines becomes a bit blurred, do they not?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  04:43:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, immortal does not mean invulnerable. I have no issue whatsoever with the idea of a being that would otherwise live forever being vulnerable to being destroyed or killed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  05:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For me, immortal does not mean invulnerable. I have no issue whatsoever with the idea of a being that would otherwise live forever being vulnerable to being destroyed or killed.

The Time Lords, and specifically, the Doctor, are both classic examples of this. While he may be immortal [to a degree] thanks to his ability to regenerate into an entirely new biological form [it's been hinted that he doesn't necessarily have to assume a humanoid shape] after death, he's certainly not invulnerable.

After all, he's been killed ten times already!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  05:37:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the original (and I daresay, my favourite) Doctor, the venerable half-senile one, stated at some point that his Tardis has the capacity to regenerate his psyche 17 times. Or perhaps it was 11 times, or only 9, or some other little number ... I can't recall. Nonetheless, his lives are numbered. Although he does seem somewhat ageless, since thus far he's only died from accident or violence or malice of unusually inescapable proportions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  08:38:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I believe the original (and I daresay, my favourite) Doctor, the venerable half-senile one, stated at some point that his Tardis has the capacity to regenerate his psyche 17 times.
Aye. Most of the background material supports that unspecified number of "lives" as well.

During the Fourth Doctor [Tom Baker] years, though, it was suggested that all Time Lords could only regenerate twelve times. But, as with most science-fiction universes that have endured for decades, the concept of the Doctor's regenerations has taken on new and interesting "quirks" as per the current 2005-2011 series.
quote:
Nonetheless, his lives are numbered. Although he does seem somewhat ageless, since thus far he's only died from accident or violence or malice of unusually inescapable proportions.
I'm not so sure they are numbered, if recent story-lines and tidbits dropped by the series writers' and such are any indication. Why, the venerable Doctor [and current Eleventh incarnation] has even suggested that he can regenerate more than five-hundred times! [Or, alternatively, as many times as he needs to.]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000