Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Thri-kreen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  16:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay i am seeking all the information i can get on these creatures.

Are there eny known places in Forgotten Realsm, where they live ?

Eny known NPC in Thri-kreen Forgotten Realsm ?

What is a Thri-kreen In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the thri-kreen, or "mantis warrior," are an insect-like monstrous humanoid race. They possess six limbs, and usually use one pair for locomotion and the other two pairs as arms. They are formidable nomadic hunters who respect the land and hate creatures that despoil it. They have excellent physical capabilities, allowing them to jump great distances and avoid arrow attacks. They are also known to possess sharp claws, poisonous bites and psionic abilities. Thri-kreen have two signature weapons: the gythka, a polearm with a blade at each end; and the chatkcha, a crystal throwing wedge which returns when thrown.

Picture of a Thri-kreen
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/46026.jpg

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 18 Dec 2006 16:23:49

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  16:42:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly in the Shining South but there's a few in and around the Moonsea. However, the 3/3.5e Shining South has all the info you need....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  16:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Kreen have always facinated me.
The Thri-Kreen were heavily detailed as a player race in the Dark Sun setting. Information from that setting, especially a guidebook dedicated to Thri-Kreen (don't remember the name off the top of my head) could easily be used in the realms.
Thri-Kreen were also detailed as a player race in the 3E Expanded Psionics hardcover.
There is documentation (most recently in 3E Shining South I believe) that indicates the Kreen thrive in the vast region of the Shaar. Pool of Radiance had Kreen near Phlan on the Moonsea, but that always left me wondering "What are they doing THERE?"
Lastly, I'm pretty sure I remember the Spelljammer setting mentioned that Thri-Kreen were an anchient space faring race long before the Elves and other current spacefaring races roamed the stars.
As for NPC's, I'm not so sure. The only one that comes to mind is in a recent Dragon article detailing the World Serpent Inn. He's "Kinda Attached" to the Realms I suppose

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  18:25:32  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Victor.

THe Thri Kreen are one of those special races that I feel get overshadowed, because of their remote placement. They are a war like race that dominates the Shining South.

Also, Korginard, let us not forget their original manifestations...in 1st ed. STAR FRONTIERS.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  18:44:42  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to this they are in Dragon 319 (the only thing I don't like about them is that they particularly like to eat elves) and Complete Psionic (feats and racial class)

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  19:30:21  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

In addition to this they are in Dragon 319 (the only thing I don't like about them is that they particularly like to eat elves) and Complete Psionic (feats and racial class)

I had totally forggotten about that. Yes Victor, they have a disctinct taste for elf flesh. Like The french with snails or frog legs. If they travel with Elves, they won't see them as partners or even equals. They'll see them the same way if you went on an adventure with a Cow...or a Chicken..

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucianBarasu

quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

I had totally forggotten about that. Yes Victor, they have a disctinct taste for elf flesh. Like The french with snails or frog legs. If they travel with Elves, they won't see them as partners or even equals. They'll see them the same way if you went on an adventure with a Cow...or a Chicken..

That's a god one

But arent there a famous colony somewhere in Forgotten relams

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 18 Dec 2006 19:42:56
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know as far as a fomaus one, but I know their greater cities and kingdoms lie within the Shining South region. There are small pockets within the Moonseas. (as per Kuje)

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  21:39:06  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they have cities and kingdoms, they live in hunting packs in the Shaar

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  21:58:09  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have ben corrected. I went back and read through the Shining South. They are nomadic and hunters that roam. No kingdom of their own.

Thank you for corecting me. ignorance and opening the mouth and removing all doubt and all that ....

"Why do you cry?"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  23:12:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Mostly in the Shining South but there's a few in and around the Moonsea. However, the 3/3.5e Shining South has all the info you need....

Thri-kreen tend to inhabit most other savanna-like regions around the Realms, as noted most recently in 3e Shining South.

There are also thri-kreen in the Mindulgulph Mercenary Company which operates in the region, as noted in Gold & Glory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Dec 2006 23:13:35
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  00:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

Pool of Radiance had Kreen near Phlan on the Moonsea, but that always left me wondering "What are they doing THERE?"

The answer that the original POR computer game gave for this was that the Thri-Kreens had been hiding underground for generations. One of the TK's you meet in the game tells you that, "Generations ago, flesh things were fewer and we hard-shelled beings ruled the shores of Lazara, what flesh things call the Moonsea."

Apparently, the Thri-Kreens of the Moonsea are burrowing creatures. That same bug tells you that, "We are quite adept at finding such trinkets (gold, platinum, and gems) as we make our home by burrowing with our own mandibles. We know the earth like none other can." Now-a-days, the Thri-Kreens of the Moonsea only venture above ground to guard their lands and find food (elves, player characters, etc.)

Given what POR tells us about the Thri-Kreens of the Moonsea, it's clear that they are very different from the same creatures in the Shining South. Perhaps in ancient days, the creatures were simular to their southern brothers. But the encroachment of humankind and (perhaps) climate changes have resulted in significant changes in their behavior and lifestyles.

For those of you old enough to remember David Hargrave's Arduin material for OD&D, I'd liken the Moonsea Thri-Kreen to Arduin's Phraints - underground, communal warrior-insect creatures.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  14:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it almost makes them sound like Ankhegs, perhaps they've "domesticated" some to help them dig thier underground homes? Just conjecture, but would make them a little more interesting. I just don't see Kreen burrowing thru the ground with thier mandibles. We also know Ankhegs are common arround Phlan for the same REAL reason the Kreen are... someone wanted them in the Computer Game ;)

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:38:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

The Thri-Kreen were heavily detailed as a player race in the Dark Sun setting. Information from that setting, especially a guidebook dedicated to Thri-Kreen (don't remember the name off the top of my head) could easily be used in the realms.
[...]Pool of Radiance had Kreen near Phlan on the Moonsea, but that always left me wondering "What are they doing THERE?"
Lastly, I'm pretty sure I remember the Spelljammer setting mentioned that Thri-Kreen were an anchient space faring race
One rather savage kreen outpost appeared in Ruins of Adventure. A village of huts plus underground lair, too. Meaning that there are not only nomadic packs but also settled ones (tohr-kreen).
The dedicated sourcebook was "Thri-Kreen of Athas". Probably can be adapted, of course minus history and tohr-kreen super soldier biotechnology.
Then again, TKoA says it sucks to be a kreen in a humid environment (2% cumulative of catching exoskeleton rot and 5% flat for trachea rot per day), so Moonsea branch must be a specific adapted subspecies (they were isolated for too long anyway, so why not).
Also, keep in mind that even with restrictions on magical aptitude removed completely, insectoids still don't have as good supraesophageal ganglions as mammals' but compensate in other ways. So arcane magic still isn't for them, while divine is fine. Or wisdom-based psionics (but this version of psionics... you know...) for that matter.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:44:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Okay i am seeking all the information i can get on these creatures.

Are there eny known places in Forgotten Realsm, where they live ?

Eny known NPC in Thri-kreen Forgotten Realsm ?

What is a Thri-kreen In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the thri-kreen, or "mantis warrior," are an insect-like monstrous humanoid race. They possess six limbs, and usually use one pair for locomotion and the other two pairs as arms. They are formidable nomadic hunters who respect the land and hate creatures that despoil it. They have excellent physical capabilities, allowing them to jump great distances and avoid arrow attacks. They are also known to possess sharp claws, poisonous bites and psionic abilities. Thri-kreen have two signature weapons: the gythka, a polearm with a blade at each end; and the chatkcha, a crystal throwing wedge which returns when thrown.

Picture of a Thri-kreen
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/46026.jpg

Read novels from the Dark Sun setting; tons of Thri-keen

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a mention of a "Land of the Mantis Men" located I believe in the far northwest of Maztica. I know it is mentioned in FMA1City of Gold, and I'll see if I can find more info.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:04:49  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have foggy recollections of one of the 2e monstrous annuals or compendiums including a number of different kreen subspecies. I think they were principally designed with Dark Sun in mind, but they might be of interest.

P.S pleased to see the lights are back on in the 'Keep.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:10:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

I have foggy recollections of one of the 2e monstrous annuals or compendiums including a number of different kreen subspecies. I think they were principally designed with Dark Sun in mind, but they might be of interest.

P.S pleased to see the lights are back on in the 'Keep.

I always liked the tohr-kreen [or mantis nobles]. They've a prominent place in my Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  19:57:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there is a fan-based theory that Jergal is connected to them in some way, along with Spellweavers.

Can't remember the details - I was never overly fond of the Thri-Kreen. I never used them, and assumed (IMG) that they were originally from Athas.

I lost all my MM's (), so I can't check, but there was also two varieties - there was a more feral, four legged variety (stood more like a centaur). The 'common' (intelligent) variety known in the Realms uses its four upper appendages like hands.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  20:12:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And there is a fan-based theory that Jergal is connected to them in some way, along with Spellweavers.

Can't remember the details - I was never overly fond of the Thri-Kreen. I never used them, and assumed (IMG) that they were originally from Athas.

I lost all my MM's (), so I can't check, but there was also two varieties - there was a more feral, four legged variety (stood more like a centaur). The 'common' (intelligent) variety known in the Realms uses its four upper appendages like hands.

From what i remember, all of the ones on Athas were the feral 4 leg/2 arm kind

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  21:17:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I always liked the tohr-kreen [or mantis nobles]. They've a prominent place in my Realms.
In TKoA, "tohr-kreen" is just "settled mantis people" (as opposed to "nomadic mantis people") and big guys known under the name in Tablelands are known in the empire as Zik-trin ("modified near-people"). They're scouts/missionaries with removed memories of their origin (one-way tickets have sense: reports can be collected telepathically). Bigger and tougher (and sterile) because they are sort of super-soldiers, modified from normal kreen.
Zik-chil who do this are a special caste in the empire made up of a related, but separate race - smaller, pale, calm, with advanced "fingers" and enzyme manipulation ability. Xixchil (Spelljammer race) seems to be their offshot.
There's also a handful of proper kreen races.
quote:

I lost all my MM's (), so I can't check, but there was also two varieties - there was a more feral, four legged variety (stood more like a centaur).
Thri-trin ("nomadic near-people"), related to kreen much like pithecanthropes to humans. They use a primitive prototype of kreen tongue (Int=low) and try to eat almost anything moving if it doesn't belong to their pack, even other trin.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:37:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No longer just a theory, as Ed "confirmed" last year that there was in fact an NDA surrounding the connection between Jergal, the thri-kreen, and the spellweavers.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  01:38:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In TKoA, "tohr-kreen" is just "settled mantis people" (as opposed to "nomadic mantis people") ...
I was drawing from the term in the DARK SUN Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  04:33:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never really been a fan of the thri-kreen, meself. Nifty, but they're just too alien for me... Though if I had to use them for some reason, I'd prolly draw heavily on the cho-ja of Kelewan.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  05:13:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thri-Kreen of Athas. What a great book. Top ten from 2e. I'm still searching for a hi-res copy of the poster. Looking forward to more lore on the Spellweaver/Jergal/Thri-Kreen connection I first read about in the Age of Worms enhancemnet. Keep it posted.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  05:19:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Never really been a fan of the thri-kreen, meself. Nifty, but they're just too alien for me... Though if I had to use them for some reason, I'd prolly draw heavily on the cho-ja of Kelewan.

I like the cho-ja too. But, then, I'm a fan of most insectoid races.

I've a particular love of the khepri from Bas-Lag.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  05:22:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thri-kreen are a bit overly alien at my table as well. Their weaponry is also a little bit too Xena: Warrior Princess for my liking, it makes the game silly.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000