Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who in the Realms "just needs a hug"?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  17:53:06  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well?
Either the ones busily doing evil as a result of some tragic backstory and/or lack of attention, or the ones you genuinely feel sorry for and would like to console.
That or any you just really consider so friendly you'd love to walk up and hug them.

So anything from a sarcastic "I guess nobody loved you enough" to "Aww, poor thing, things really turned out badly for you, didn't they?" to "Wow, you're adorable/awesome, can I have a hug?"

Plenty of options there.
Yes, you may nominate a proxy hugger for the ones you think might react a bit too viciously to you trying it yourself.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  18:01:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, I really can't think of anyone who has a tragic backstory that caused them to go evil... Cyric comes close, except for the fact that he could have chosen to do the right thing and instead took the expedient route.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  18:16:44  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Off the top of my head, I really can't think of anyone who has a tragic backstory that caused them to go evil... Cyric comes close, except for the fact that he could have chosen to do the right thing and instead took the expedient route.

Well, yeah, but his luck really was kind of rotten in that regard; the times he came close to a good guy role, something always happened.

Though I can think of one right away; Artemis Entreri. His childhood sucked.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  18:19:05  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curiously I just read the HUG sentence in a forums refering to a Kel'Tuzad's item on Wow. The first one that comes to my head is Danifae Yauntyrr, and not I don't mind "that" kind of hug. Halisstra tried but it was too late by then. In fact now I think of it, any drow really just needed a hug in their child...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 03 Sep 2011 18:19:41
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  19:00:55  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

Curiously I just read the HUG sentence in a forums refering to a Kel'Tuzad's item on Wow. The first one that comes to my head is Danifae Yauntyrr, and not I don't mind "that" kind of hug. Halisstra tried but it was too late by then. In fact now I think of it, any drow really just needed a hug in their child...

Oh, Drizzt needs considerably more than a hug...
Might've cut short some of his angsting if some lady had got hold of him sooner than Catti-brie managed to. Or at least if he decided to... polish his blade... a bit more often, shall we say.
Though given the stuff he's been put through of late in the novels, he does kinda need a hug anyways.

Edited by - Lady Shadowflame on 03 Sep 2011 19:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  19:30:08  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrmeen Lhal in her childhood was plagued by the Night Parade. Kelemvor could turn out like Cyric, now he's Death. Adon suffered some tragedy at the end. Hugging Deirdre Kendrick or Cassana is worth the risk.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  19:32:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Myrmeen Lhal in her childhood was plagued by the Night Parade. Kelemvor could turn out like Cyric, now he's Death. Adon suffered some tragedy at the end. Hugging Deirdre Kendrick or Cassana is worth the risk.

Good point on Adon.

I don't see Kelemvor turning out like Cyric. Cyric made bad choices and then embraced them. Kelemvor has always wanted to do the right thing... The enforced neutrality could drive him to boredom and disinterest, I think, but not evil.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  19:34:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Shadowflame

quote:

Well, yeah, but his luck really was kind of rotten in that regard; the times he came close to a good guy role, something always happened.

Yeah, something happened, but then he embraced his bad choices. He could have made the bad choice and then tried to do good and/or make up for it once his backside was out of the fire, but he instead decided to run with and build on the bad choices.

He was forced to take the first steps into darkness, but he willingly ran the rest of the way.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  20:19:12  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good point on Adon.

I don't see Kelemvor turning out like Cyric. Cyric made bad choices and then embraced them. Kelemvor has always wanted to do the right thing... The enforced neutrality could drive him to boredom and disinterest, I think, but not evil.

In fact this is what happenned, isn't it? that was also the reason why Mystra (Midnight), decided to break her relationship with him. I think so at least...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  20:25:09  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not an evil one, a sympathy one: Kellen, Ravendas's son. I was reading his story, just all "aw, that poor boy..."
Very often characters who are intended to be endearing or sympathetic just repel me, but Kellen didn't, and I spent most of the book just wanting him to be okay.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  20:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hugs for everyone!

Not hugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abt8aAB-Dr0
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  22:49:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laeral. From me.

Erm... no particular reason, she's just very, very cute.
Also: Tanalasta, for always being overlooked for the more exciting/prettier members of the Obarskyr family.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  00:03:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point on Adon.

In fact this is what happenned, isn't it? that was also the reason why Mystra (Midnight), decided to break her relationship with him. I think so at least...

It was more him brushing her off to focus more on being a competent and neutral deity. And he hasn't gotten to the boredom and disinterest, that I know of, but I can see it happening.

Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  00:21:01  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  02:29:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmphf. It's been said at my table that anyone offering you a hug in the Realms is really just trying to get a bonus to a pick pockets or backstab roll.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  03:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Brennus Tanthul after finding out what happened to his mom, and that his dad knew about it. Well, either a hug or being allowed to cut loose and wipe out a town or something.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  04:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is cute. (Compassion +1!)

You know that I'm taking notes on how to torture my characters, right? Just checking.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  04:34:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Number one on my list is Elminster, for watching friends and loved ones die while he continues to live and fight for the greater good. Immortality is indeed a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Next would be Laeral, for having lost Khelben and their son.

[And oh, I wouldn't give Cyric a hug. What the bastard deserves is a kick on his arse.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  12:23:51  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
queen Amlaruil
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  13:10:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Maybe Brennus Tanthul after finding out what happened to his mom, and that his dad knew about it. Well, either a hug or being allowed to cut loose and wipe out a town or something.

He's third on my list. I perfectly understand what he's been going through. I was very close with my mother, and I was devastated by grief upon losing her. It's the only loss I can never get over.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  15:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id say to some extent Erevis Cale but Riven even more so. No man is really evil that loves his dogs like that.

Raidon Kane possibly too.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  16:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyranthraxus of course. He probably never had a hug, being incorporeal and such.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  20:00:21  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good point on Adon.

It was more him brushing her off to focus more on being a competent and neutral deity. And he hasn't gotten to the boredom and disinterest, that I know of, but I can see it happening.

I see, I also read it had something to do with Adon's soul, that thanks to Cyric's schemes was at the Wall of the Faithless.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  00:22:04  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd give Regis a big hug.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  02:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Atreus Elient from Faces of Deception? Poor guy was too ugly for Sunes clergy so he went all out to prove himself.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  15:29:05  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always got a kick out of killing KT's cat. No, I am not inclined to torture animals in real life...just mr. Bigglesworth.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  00:55:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Top of mind:

-Irenicus
-Sarevok
-Cyric
-Entreri
-Erevis Cale
-Tamlin Uskevren
-Malik el Sami yn Nasser

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  08:15:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Top of mind:
-Tamlin Uskevren
-Malik el Sami yn Nasser

Hmm. I wouldn't be so generous with my hugs. A pat on the back will do, which is the most those two deserve.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  08:29:07  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my view Malik deserved a kick in his rear tbh

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  16:24:14  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thibbledorf Pwent, all spiky and such.

<link>

And good luck with that!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2011 :  21:23:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you gave Cyric a hug you might end up with a pointy metal object in your back.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000