Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stonelands city
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  14:00:13  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the Wyvern's Spur, the final struggle is set above a ruined settlement in the Stonelands. Harrowsomething, I think. Anyone know anything about that place? I do not have the book anymore, I'd be grateful if anyone knows something.

Second, is there any sort of source on Talis, the Talfiric town in the Reaching Woods?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  15:00:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... doesn't ring a bell, but I am highly interested in knowing more about it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  15:55:39  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just re-read the final confrontation between Giogi and Flattery.

I can only find a passing mention that Giogi presumed he was of north of the road to Dhedluk, when he was infact south of the road.

I'll keep reading (The Wyvern's Spur is one of my favorites) just to see if i've missed it.

It may be a shot in the dark but do you think it might've been called Harrowstone? That name rings all sorts of bells to me for some unknown reason.
Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:23:19  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harrow is a popular word in fantasy. Thank you for checking.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  17:50:01  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sousana

Harrow is a popular word in fantasy. Thank you for checking.

No problem Sousana.

I'll read the book again this weekend, I always enjoy it, and report back after
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  19:06:13  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a great book. Was Giogi in one of the follow up Alias/Olive/Dragonbait/etc novels? I'm only up to Song of the Sauriels and it looks like he's stayed back in Immersea.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  19:09:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Such a great book. Was Giogi in one of the follow up Alias/Olive/Dragonbait/etc novels? I'm only up to Song of the Sauriels and it looks like he's stayed back in Immersea.

Giogi was in Cormyr, The Wyvern's Spur, and appeared briefly in Tymora's Luck -- the latter focuses more closely on the Wyvernspur children, though in interludes instead of in the main story.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  19:14:51  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked his introduction in Azure Bonds, and his spot-on impersonation of "His Marshmallowness"
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  20:27:56  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Second, is there any sort of source on Talis, the Talfiric town in the Reaching Woods?

Only Curse of the Shadowmage novel, and once mentioned in Races of Faerun (under Human, Talfir) and Serpent Kingdoms (under Najara)
Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  20:36:15  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought so. I guess I have to read Curse of the Shadowmage.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  01:14:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

Only Curse of the Shadowmage novel, and once mentioned in Races of Faerun (under Human, Talfir) and Serpent Kingdoms (under Najara)

There's a bit in Crypt of the Shadowking too, as I recall.

Unfortunately, the information for Talis is kind of sporadic and sketchy because during the time Eric Boyd was active with the Realms, he had few opportunities to fully integrate the existing material for the Talfir, into the greater Realmslore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  16:25:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final struggle appears to take place on an earthmote(!?)

I am trying to back-track and find if this flying fortress has a name - I have yet to find where this chunk of earth originated from (which may have been the Stonelands). Are you sure the name for the place wasn't in another book? Possibly the earlier one?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  23:04:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I am trying to back-track and find if this flying fortress has a name - I have yet to find where this chunk of earth originated from (which may have been the Stonelands). Are you sure the name for the place wasn't in another book? Possibly the earlier one?

It most definitely was not even mentioned in Azure Bonds.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  01:31:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't interpret it exactly as such.

After all, flying "chunks" of hard-earth aren't exactly unique to the post-Spellplague setting of the FORGOTTEN REALMS. They're a near-constant in most fantasy-fiction.

Go to Top of Page

Sousana
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  06:49:36  Show Profile Send Sousana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was there, but maybe it was a bit earlier in the book. I remember it as the ending, but it was a good while since I read it. I am 99% sure it was that book, though. Interesting about the earthmote, though. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  11:47:15  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I finished The Wyvern's Spur and i'm afraid I couldn't find a reference to Harrow - Something in the book.

I'll admit to enjoying the book so much that I forgot what I was looking for a few times

I paid particular attention to the story that is explained to Giogi in regards to his father's fight with Flattery, I didn't see any mention there.

It may well be in the book, I just didn't find it.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  15:47:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I wouldn't interpret it exactly as such.

After all, flying "chunks" of hard-earth aren't exactly unique to the post-Spellplague setting of the FORGOTTEN REALMS. They're a near-constant in most fantasy-fiction.
For the sake of simplicity, I called it by its current term. YES, I am aware that only 'naturally occurring'(?) flying chunks of terrain would be Earthmotes - ones created by the Spellpague. However, Brian James has told us that the chaos that ensued during the Spellplague was not the first time much of that phenomena (related to it) occurred on Toril - the ToT was another, much less catastrophic event - and that there may have been many times when 'magic ran amok' in the Realms (I would imagine the fall of Netheril was another).

The way I look at it, 'normal' earthmotes are caused by chaotic spikes in magic, and since we know of at least one way to replicate those kinds of effects (Wild Mages), then I would presume that all 'floating chunks of geography' would be earthmotes, regardless of source. Flying fortresses, etc... have a long history in the Realms. The phenomena has simply become more prevalent, so most folk associate them with the Spellplague, despite there being much evidence of similar things in the past. My argument, is that they are not tied specifically to the Spellplague, but rather, part of a much larger category of related phenomena.

That means the Netherease spell that created enclaves was a spell that created an earthmote. There is no reason to have redundant terminology. At least, that's how I see it. The way in which it was created shouldn't effect what we call it. And between you and I, that little blurb by me was INTENTIONAL, to establish the fact that much of 4e lore is indeed rooted in previously established FR lore - the designers just chose to throw way too many new terms at us at once.

Which isn't a knock - quite the contrary - my current series of posts are hand-tailored to disarm most anti-4e arguments.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2011 02:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  16:02:43  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my recollection of the book, and I just read it so it should be better...Flattery had the fortress on the edges of Anauroch (which made me think it was Netherese in origin) and that's where he killed Cole (Giogi's father) in battle. When Flattery came to Immersea to steal the Spur, he teleported the fortress into the air above Immersea (on the horizon)---the fortress city had a name...now I can't remember!

Giogi flew up there and his Uncle Drone polymorphed into a Pegasus to fly up with Giogi and Cat/Olive(?) and they battled Flattery there....after they thought they had won, Giogi in Wyvernform flew far away from Immersa with Flattery in Dragonform and they battled hard in the Stonelands...and Giogi took a few days to come back because he needed to take a mental break after killing someone and eating whole cows as a Wyvern etc.

I'm not sure what happened to the flying fortress after Flattery died...? Maybe I skimmed that part.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  19:23:55  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I'm not sure what happened to the flying fortress after Flattery died...? Maybe I skimmed that part.

Uncle Drone used a Scroll of Reverse Gravity to make the fortress fall "up". When asked what would happen when the spell's duration ended we were told it would make a rather nice meteor.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  21:30:12  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes! now I remember...Olive or someone was worried it would destroy Immersea on re-entry but he was convinced it would break up. Thanks Farrel.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2011 :  00:28:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The way I look at it, 'normal' earthmotes are caused by chaotic spikes in magic, and since we know of at least one way to replicate those kinds of effects (Wild Mages), then I would presume that all 'floating chunks of geography' would be earthmotes, regardless of source.
I know you probably weren't heading off in this direction, but I'm intrigued by what this relationship between wild mages and earthmotes, might suggest.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000