Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Truenames
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  14:30:47  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have some doubt on a subject not very explored in the Realms:

How does it work the "truenames" exactly in the Realms? What should be made to discover the truename? What can be made with the knowledge of thetruename?

I remember that in Spellfire spoke if a lot of truenames, but it doesn't explain what means exactly.

z455t

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  15:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to use Jim Bitcher's approach to true names that he used in the Dresden Files novels. In the novels, it was not enough to know the name of the person, they had to speak it to you. You had to know it with every pronunciation of it's owner and all the inflection and spirit of their nature behind it to use or reproduce it.

It can be used by certain devils or djinn to make a binding contract. Devils could be anything. Djinn can be bound for a year and a day, per the Zahkara book.

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  15:39:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truenames are part of the Realms both via the fantasy tradition [mostly notably in Le Guin's "Earthsea" books starting in 1968] and via D&D [see Unearthed Arcana's truename spell]. As ever, the Realms has its particular take, which we can read about in the "So Saith Ed" archives, in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical [available as a free PDF download], and various other sourcebook and novel references. Ed also describes a few specific truenames for certain Realms NPCs and how they function for them in his compiled replies here at Candlekeep -- specifically the '04 and '06 files.

Additionally, DRAGON has several articles on Truenames that may aso prove useful:-

'Denouncements: Truenames, "Power of Truenames, The", by Mark Jackman, issue 346, page (88), for 3e. '

or

'Fetishes: For characters with truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", by Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (42), for 3e.'

or

'Truenames, "Truenames and Fetishes: The Power and the Peril", Philip M. Greeley, issue 317, page (38), for 3e.'

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  17:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a truename system in Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved (an alternate 3.5 system) as well that you may be able to adapt. It has been awhile since I read the relevant sections though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  09:20:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on truenames

http://web.archive.org/web/20020627230713/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-truenames.htm

Cheers

Damian
ps am sure a mod will be along shortly to clean up the link

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  05:35:59  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Kno (the OP), do you mean 'truename' as in the spell enhancement (& ritual thereof) that's widely known amongst the Planes, but seems not so well known in the Realms?

Or do you mean 'truename' as in the game devils & demons play with the mortals who seek something from them? (Ed seems to very subtly imply this in the quote before this post).

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 13 Aug 2011 05:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  07:23:34  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where the true name is a part of the spell's verbal compenent, that would be awesome. I ask because of Summon Darsson of Halruaa, a spell that is in Pages from the Mages, how would the process of discovering his name develop

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2011 :  11:12:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Realms, the dwarf wedding ceremony involves whispering truenames to each other. Also magic items that operate only when a specific person wields it must have the truename involved in the enchanting. Annam's Eye rune requires a true name of the target.

The Red Wizards have a few spells that reveal the name, and the Seven Sisters use the names to secretly communicate. It's said that one of their names could be exchanged for book that hold the secret of Netherese mantles. Manshoon gave the true names of the phaerimm triumvirate in Ooltul to an elder orb. The Flaming Fist have a scroll with Demogorgon's true name.

I don't know if any cities have secret true names, like in history, possibly in Chondath or Chessenta.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  05:29:48  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Where the true name is a part of the spell's verbal compenent, that would be awesome. I ask because of Summon Darsson of Halruaa, a spell that is in Pages from the Mages, how would the process of discovering his name develop

I reckon the truename's verbal component (re: the actual truename) is added after the spell's verbal component. And the truenamer (the spellcaster employing his truename) must have an item they can wear or carry that 'powers' up the spell with the truename. For example, without the use of a truename, a 10th level wizard casting Fireball would do the verbal & somatic casting - which takes a casting time of 3 for this spell, and then throw a 10d6 Fireball.

But enhancing Fireball with a truename, the 10th level wizard would do the verbal & somatic casting, immediately then integrating the verbal part with his/her truename AND having the 'truename item' involved in the somatic part. This would most likely extend the casting time beyond 3, probably into 5-6 territory (because truenames are usually long).

Depending on how powerful the spellcaster's truename is, the effect would be to make that fireball more powerful - in all respects (damage, magic resistance & saving throw). Let's say in the 10th level wizard's case, because he's 10th level, he causes a 10d6 fireball (and a 7th level wizard causes a 7d6 fireball; it's worth noting that the Fireball spell caps out at 10d6 - thus an 11th level wizard casts a 10d6 fireball). But in adding the truename, according to the power therein for this wizard, using his truename makes his fireball do 13d6 damage - making it akin to Delayed Blast Fireball! What's more, foes who have 50% magic resistance, their MR would be treated as 37% magic resistance vs. this particular wizard's truename-enhanced spell. Same thing for saving throws.

And the same principles apply for non-damage-inducing spells, like Charm Person - the target who trusts in 50% MR & the +3 Saving Throw bonus, would have those factors reduced, according to the power in the truename enhancing the spell being cast upon them. The spell's effects could still be avoided, but the target doesn't have the 'safety nets' afforded by Charm Person being cast without a truename's help.

(scroll down to the 3rd post:) http://www.adnd.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1852/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=10.html
A quick google search yielded this, and I trust it's the same Summon Darsson you're talking about (as this is written in 2e rules, and Pages from the Mages is a 2e sourcebook).

If someone casts Summon Darsson using his/her's truename (the caster's own truename, not Darsson), the Darsson will need a higher roll on the dice to evade the spell's effect.

However, according to your question, you're seeking someone discovering Darsson's personal truename. This would take either a short time, or a very, very long time.

It'd take a short time if someone HEARD Darsson speak his truename & understand that's his truename (or understand someone else saying it in casting that spell), and understood the inflections in the language the truename is spoken in - juss in case it's not in the common tongue. More than likely, it isn't.

It'd take a very, very long time, if hearing someone speak Darsson's truename isn't available. Assuming Darsson's famous in arcane social circles, you'd have to get information and glean all sorts of things. It's like trying to finding out someone's online password; if the truenamer is wise, others seeking it would find better luck finding a needle in a haystack.

Anyways, there's a nice, short write-up on truename's in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, the free download
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13961
-------------

Quale, is that tidbit about dwarves widely known in dwarven circles, and then widely known in non-dwarven circles?

I think its safe to assume the Red Wizard's info extraction spells have significantly less than a 100% success rate. Especially since truenames can be changed, and most people don't seek it to develop one to aid their magical prowress. And those that do would seek every precaution they could think of to safeguard it.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  20:57:54  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the spell description I gather that the wizard name is somehow ''encrypted'' into the verbal component. Most information on the truenames is 3rd edition, wonder what kind of check should be used in the 2nd. You're right bladeinAmn, I found two spells in Wizard Spell's Compendium IV, says the search for clues about the name should take months, years ... involving spying, bargains with devils and such spells as commune, legend lore, contact other plane.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  07:17:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn

Quale, is that tidbit about dwarves widely known in dwarven circles, and then widely known in non-dwarven circles?

I think its safe to assume the Red Wizard's info extraction spells have significantly less than a 100% success rate. Especially since truenames can be changed, and most people don't seek it to develop one to aid their magical prowress. And those that do would seek every precaution they could think of to safeguard it.

It's a dwarven custom (from Dwarves Deep) kept secret from other races.

The Red Wizard's spell is called Dethod's Delirium, I think it has about 10 percent chance with the true names.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  03:19:46  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprised nobody mentioned Eytan Bernstein's article on such (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070801).

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000