Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Previous Edition Downloads -- Current Links
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  14:13:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mod Edit: Altered the scroll's title somewhat, to more appropriately reflect it's content, and added some adhesive as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Okay... I had some time today, betwixt calls, and prepped up this list. I just downloaded every single one of the files, so I know they're all there.

Note, however, that all I had was the FR stuff. I don't have links for the other stuff that was on that page.

I organized it all by alphabetical order. All the links but the one for The North lead directly to the files on the WotC site. The North's link leads to a still-extant page on the WotC site, from where the boxed set can be downloaded.

Arcane Age: Netheril--Empire of Magic
Calimport
Castle Spulzeer
City of Gold
City of Ravens Bluff
Cormanthyr
Cult of the Dragon
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--Maddgoth's Castle
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--Stardock
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--The Lost Level
Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 1
Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 2
Endless Armies
Fires of Zatal
For Duty and Deity
Four From Cormyr
Gold and Glory
How the Mighty Are Fallen
Lands of Intrigue
Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw
Marco Volo: Arrival
Marco Volo: Departure
Marco Volo: Journey
Maztica
Ronin Challenge
Savage Frontier
Test of the Samurai
The Fall of Myth Drannor
The Horde
The North
Vilhon Reach
Villain's Lorebook
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
Volo's Guide to the North

Adding Wooly's links to the first post. Thanks Wooly.

Wooly edit: Couple links were out of order. Fixed.

Brimstone Edit 09-01-2010
Needed to add this link.

BRIMSTONE EDIT 10-09-2010
Add quote with more Links.
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Okay, before you panic, what exactly are you looking for?

I can still get to the Realmslore, the Retired, Waterdeep News, Return to Undermountain, Class Chronicles, Border Kingdoms, and News articles.

BRIMSTONE EDIT 11-16-2010
Add some missing links. Someone will find them useful. Realmslore is always useful!
The Wailing Dwarf
The Tribes of Thar
The Cavern of Death
Ironfang Keep
The Purple Halls
Tomb of the Astronomer

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2011 20:56:22

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  15:30:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, only a matter of time. The downloads page is still there, but clicking on older editions takes you to Wizard's home page. Fortunately, you can still get stuff under the Original Adventures link, which includes the 3.0 Tomb of Horrors and White Plume Mountain conversions.

Hopefully everyone got what they needed when they could.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  15:31:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Interesting. I hadn't noticed the part underneath "Previous Edition Downloads" which says that they're "periodically culled."

Anyone else recall that?

I can't honestly recall.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  15:53:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they keep the Original Adventures around cuz I've been using them to convert to 4E and they're alot of fun. There was one adventure involving a Calzone Golem and it was hilarious plus fun to create the creature with the new rules. Garlic Breath weapon anyone?! lol
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2010 :  17:48:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly it's true. WotC wants to protect it's current asset and by removing content of previous material, it (in their minds) supposed to strengthen the existing edition. I can't say that I blame them but I do feel it's unecessary because it has always been free.

Maybe WotC feels that by having it available it somehow undermines what their trying to accomplish with 4th edition and thus prevents newer players from seeing the older material and thus becoming interested in previous editions?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  00:44:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not been able to find the new downloads page, if there is one. But I checked a couple of links -- the files are still there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:13:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, when they first decided to remove all pdf sales (a move that still mystifies me), it was theorized that the downloads page would soon be taken down. When it wasn't, I guess we all forgot about that speculation... I'm not convinced that the page is gone, myself. WotC has a long history of casually rearranging their website, with no apparent rhyme or reason, and in particular without bothering to update any links.

As I've pointed out more than once in the past, there are files on the WotC site that were first posted around 2000 -- but the links leading to those files were removed 5 or more years ago. Still, you can get to the files, if you know the URL to the actual file.

I've (legally!) downloaded a lot of TSR/WotC stuff over the years. To make it easier to find, I've got a single, rather simple HTML page with links to all of my downloaded pdfs (the links are all to the files on my hard drive, of course). For reasons I don't recall now, I one day went thru and added to that page the links to the files on WotC's downloads page. I clicked on a couple of those links, and I found that the files are still out there.

So if this was a deliberate takedown, in an attempt to make sure no one could get anything that wasn't 4E, then it was very sloppy.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:43:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Care to legally share your info oh mighty hamster of mischief?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  01:49:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I, personally, think the Furry Hamster should probably hold off on that, at least until we know for certain the status of the "Previous Edition Downloads" on the Wizards website. [Unless, of course, you were referring to Wooly's HTML file, Dalor?]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  14:03:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Sadly it's true. WotC wants to protect it's current asset and by removing content of previous material, it (in their minds) supposed to strengthen the existing edition. I can't say that I blame them but I do feel it's unecessary because it has always been free.

Sorry, Diffan, just for clarification - is that your personal opinion or did you see a posting from WoTC about the removal? I've been browsing some of the forums and the main site and haven't noticed anything, but it's certainly possible that I missed something.

Just my opinion through observation, nothing more. When I checked my links didn't work so by assumption I figured they went ahead and took down the free stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  00:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why they'd want to remove material from which no profit can any longer be expected but which might have ensnared a new fan is beyond me. I can't imagine that it's a decision coming out of the gamers at WoTC. It strikes me as more likely to be the type of decision a "helicopter" Hasbro manager would make.

The move that puzzles me more is when they had all pdfs that were for sale discontinued. Those pdfs were the only remaining source of income for editions prior to 4E, but because someone pirated a 4E book, WotC decided to remove all legally available pdfs, save for those few free ones on their site (the ones that just had the links removed).

Not only that, but WotC killing pdf sales also violated the contracts between Paizo and their customers. With Paizo, any pdf you paid for could be downloaded as many times as you wanted. That was the deal Paizo made with their customers, and which WotC caused them to break.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  01:54:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, asked what happened on the WotC boards and Mudbunny's response was that there's no information from above as to why or if they will bring them back.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  03:54:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just checked the Original Adventures site and that is still up. What about the articles which dealt with other non-core classes (ToB, Complete books, etc...) being featured in the Realms? Are they still there?

Edit: Just found this so maybe someone can access older stuff through the link? http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/fr

Edited by - Diffan on 28 Jul 2010 03:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  05:14:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Well I just checked the Original Adventures site and that is still up. What about the articles which dealt with other non-core classes (ToB, Complete books, etc...) being featured in the Realms? Are they still there?

Edit: Just found this so maybe someone can access older stuff through the link? http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/fr

Yeah, of the links I've got listed that I clicked on, only the old downloads page was gone -- everything else I checked was still there.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  06:15:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I, personally, think the Furry Hamster should probably hold off on that, at least until we know for certain the status of the "Previous Edition Downloads" on the Wizards website. [Unless, of course, you were referring to Wooly's HTML file, Dalor?]

Aye...the HTML file only.

That is the legal part.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  09:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was saddened to find that the Jedi Counselling articles are now all gone, as are the RCR version of the Star Wars weapons, armor, and Heroes, Villains, and Starships of Revenge of the Sith. I was barely able to get my information on Mandalorian iron for my female Mandalorian warrior before they shut it all down. And I'm not a fan of Saga at all. Why did Wizards get rid of all their Star Wars related RPG articles, etc?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 28 Jul 2010 13:34:45
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  14:00:15  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do remember the bit about periodic culling, but I'd assumed they'd forgotten about the old edition downloads by now...

The Star Wars articles may be all gone because WotC no longer has a license from LucasFilms for a Star Wars RPG.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  15:22:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Freyar has the right of it.

Joran, so long as it's still legal to share that info between friends, I've most of it saved. If you are looking for anything in particular, let me know and perhaps I can send it your way.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  00:14:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... I had some time today, betwixt calls, and prepped up this list. I just downloaded every single one of the files, so I know they're all there.

Note, however, that all I had was the FR stuff. I don't have links for the other stuff that was on that page.

I organized it all by alphabetical order. All the links but the one for The North lead directly to the files on the WotC site. The North's link leads to a still-extant page on the WotC site, from where the boxed set can be downloaded.

Arcane Age: Netheril--Empire of Magic
Calimport
Castle Spulzeer
City of Gold
City of Ravens Bluff
Cormanthyr
Cult of the Dragon
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--Maddgoth's Castle
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--Stardock
Dungeon Crawl: Undermountain--The Lost Level
Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 1
Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 2
Endless Armies
Fires of Zatal
For Duty and Deity
Four From Cormyr
Gold and Glory
How the Mighty Are Fallen
Lands of Intrigue
Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw
Marco Volo: Arrival
Marco Volo: Departure
Marco Volo: Journey
Maztica
Ronin Challenge
Savage Frontier
Test of the Samurai
The Fall of Myth Drannor
The Horde
The North
Vilhon Reach
Villain's Lorebook
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
Volo's Guide to the North

Edit: Fixed the order a bit.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2010 23:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  02:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information, freyar. And Sage, I really do appreciate that offer. Always nice to think of you and Wolly as friends. We really do have a great community here on Candlekeep, and I'm very grateful for that. I'll let you know if there's anything I have a question about.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  06:35:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

<snip>

Awesome Wooly! Thanks man. I'd "plus rep" you if you needed any more rep!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  07:11:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this thread should be re-named and stickied?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  08:04:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Good idea, Krash.

Consider it done!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  12:49:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, so they are still around.

Great Idea Krash, and thanks Sage.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  23:51:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Cool, so they are still around.

Great Idea Krash, and thanks Sage.

*clears throat*

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  00:33:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...give the Hamster his due!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:35:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't his head big enough already?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  02:30:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nay! I want his head to be so large that he will swallow a Black Hole!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  02:37:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, thanks Intergalatic Space Rodent.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  02:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Oh, thanks Intergalatic Space Rodent.

That's a new one... I like!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  06:43:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nay! I want his head to be so large that he will swallow a Black Hole!

If his head becomes that large, how will effect the physics of the Sage ToDo list?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000