Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You appear in the realms, who do you worship?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  20:38:30  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which deity do you think you would worship if you were transported to the realms? (At any point in time, so including dead deities)

Selune seems like a deity i'd like the most.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  20:48:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can quote myself on this one!

I'm all about Lurue, myself. Why? Well...

The whole point of a patron deity is that you follow the one who most closely matches your own nature. Lurue is whimsical, and that -- even more than mischief -- is one thing that marks me.

Here's what the Powers and Pantheons says:

"The Queen of Talking Beasts and Intelligent Creatures is often taken with wanderlust. She can be whimsical but is infinitely loyal once she takes someone into her trust, and she never abandons her worshippers in times of need. When faced with no other option that combat, Lurue is a dedicated and intractable foe, but she prefers light banter, clever riddles, new discoveries, and the joyous exploration of life.

The Unicorn is a symbol of hope, joy, salvation, and protection for the needy, forlorn, and forsaken. Life is to be relished and lived with laughter. Quests are to be taken on a dare and gifts are to be made on a whim. Impossible dreams are to be pursued for the sheer wonder of the possibility of their completion. Everyone, no matter how unique, is to be praised for their strengths and comforted in their weaknesses. Evil melts most quickly in the face of a rapier wit and unshackled joy. Search for the unicorn and in the pursuit find happiness.

Many of Lurue's clergy are adventurers who travel about the Realms seeking wrongs to right and finding a good balance of merriment, new experiences, and self-improvement in such a profession.
"

Much of what is written about Lurue is how I live.

Plus, the city of Silverymoon was named after her, and that's one of my fave places in the Realms. Her affiliated order, the Order of the Unicorn, was founded by the Knights of the Unicorn, "a romantic, whimsical group of high-born adventurers" -- and you know that's a group I'd be part of!

All of that makes her the deity for me!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  22:27:16  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hesitate to say, for fear that some designer will see it and put that deity on the list of "next to terminate", but...

The Faerunian pantheon choices aren't really optimal, but Oghma or Deneir would match fairly well with my personality and interests.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  01:21:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Milil, Deneir, and likely Oghma as well.

Most scribes here who tend to know me well enough, probably also know why I've selected these three deities in particular.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Jul 2011 01:45:41
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  01:35:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd choose Selune, Meliekki, Tymorra and Lathander as main targets for my prayers. I like moonlit nights, love woodland treks, like to be favored with good fortune and adore sunshine and innovative thoughts. I'd like to pray to Sune frequently aswell (if only to surround myself with the art of beauty). I'd offer Talona, Shar, Talos, Umberlee and Beshaba frequent lipservice to appease them aswell.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  01:36:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mielikki...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  01:51:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A difficult question for an atheist... Not really worship, but if I were to make a pact with a deity for our mutual benefits, that deity would be...Mystra. She'll grant me spells, help me eliminate pesky individuals that try to foil my plans; and in return I do certain errands for her, and of course, further the use of magic with as little or minimum destruction as possible. And no, I don't want to be her Chosen.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  03:48:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm, Helm, Lathander/Amaunator in that order. And of course, ample offerings to Sune and Sharess
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  05:38:36  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leira.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  10:27:20  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for Savras without any doubt, even with his "state" as Azuth's servant; not really 4E for me at all. I'll remain in a poket plane with a perpetual 3.5E.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 30 Jul 2011 10:30:45
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  11:08:53  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Which deity do you think you would worship if you were transported to the realms? (At any point in time, so including dead deities)

Selune seems like a deity i'd like the most.

Mystra, at a guess.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  11:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm, hands down. And of course, I'd have to go by and visit St. Joran Nobleheart in Cormyr, and his daughter Arella, followers of Torm.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  12:34:00  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deneir or Selûne/Sehanine.

Edit: Very interesting to see quite a few people choosing Deneir.

Edited by - Thieran on 30 Jul 2011 12:42:03
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  14:37:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's because Deneir is a nerd.

I agree with Diffan though. Ample offerings at the temples of divine Sune and Sharess.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  15:08:42  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Labelas...
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  15:34:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them. Or well, the nasty ones would be in on a "only when necessary" basis, but other than that: going on a boat-trip? Selûne and Valkur; planting something? Chauntea and the assorted nature gods, and so on.

As for who my patron deity would be: Sune.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 30 Jul 2011 15:35:16
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  17:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I love Helm, when it comes to Faerunian deities there's no contest, he's my absolute hands down favourite and the more I look at his dogma the more I find to like, there is far more to Helm and his followers than meets the eye and if I had been born and raised in Faerun then no doubt he'd be my patron deity, but... If I suddenly pitched up in Faerun Helm's strict military hierarchy wouldn't suit the sort of chaotic person I am so... whilst the Helmites would get my respect and I'd certainly pay lip service to his faith, Lliira, Milil and perhaps Lathander would get my worship.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  21:28:39  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I really appreciate night, and since shadows can really be dangerous in Faerûn, Selune sound like a deity worthy to worship.

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  22:54:05  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even thoug Sune and Sharess have some interesting worshipping "benfits", I'd probably go with Oghma. B-Options would be Gond, Waukeen.
Well actually I find the concept of gods that are so limited to certain aspects of life quite creepy to worship. I think it is fun for playing a PC in the realms under this concept, but if I was shifted over there.. no. Not without a realms brain wash at least.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2011 :  23:27:50  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune or Tempus or Lathander

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  04:36:08  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sune & sharess - i'm a hedonist.
maybe nobanion because i am a slave to fashion haha
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  14:22:28  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm or Moradin, because I believe in helping others in need as well as a sturdy community centered around creativity and protection.

Other than that, maybe Mystra, Oghma or Deneir, because I do tend to seek elightenment.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  14:38:30  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm and/or Mystra. I could also tend to worship Shar, Tyrannos and Kiaransalee…
Strange composition…

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  16:52:59  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Torm and/or Mystra. I could also tend to worship Shar, Tyrannos and Kiaransalee…
Strange composition…

Tyrannos? Who's that?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 31 Jul 2011 16:53:15
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  18:02:13  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Strange composition…

Tyrannos? Who's that?

That'd be Bane, in German. Pretty sure.

Vereine die welt unter der kirche Tyrranos! Tyrranos wird über alle sterblichen herrschen. Je früher ein sterblicher dies einsieht, desto mehr an leid und todesgefahr erspart er sich!

*cough*

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 31 Jul 2011 18:11:24
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  18:19:35  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, it's one of the very few deity names which were translated for the German edition.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  19:02:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Vereine die welt unter der kirche Tyrranos! Tyrranos wird über alle sterblichen herrschen. Je früher ein sterblicher dies einsieht, desto mehr an leid und todesgefahr erspart er sich!

*cough*

*trying to translate...*

I can just hear my high school german teacher (aptly named Frau) yelling at me to "Conjugate the verbs!!" lol
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  19:39:30  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

*cough*

*trying to translate...*

I can just hear my high school german teacher (aptly named Frau) yelling at me to "Conjugate the verbs!!" lol

Heh! Bane is awesome!

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  19:41:23  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct, "Tyrannos" is the name they gave "Bane" in the german edition. I always forget about that change, I'm sorry. It's the most drastic change of names (I apparently don't recall an other change…) they made to the gods.

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  03:05:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"High Imperceptor of Tyrannos" is a suitably evil and totalitarian sounding title. I rather like the name Tyrannos more than Bane. Tyrannoliches sound cool too.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  04:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were transported to the Realms, I would most likely worship the deity who puts me back to the real world first!

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000