Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favourite Drow Deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  23:31:54  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

If you find them both interesting, Lady Shadowbane, than there's always Eilistraee The Masked Lady. :D

I don't think she has the hilarity that is Vhaeraun's mood-ring eyes and hair...

Also, Shadowbane? That's either my villain name or my hero name, depending on if it's bane of or bane from shadows...

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  23:42:21  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I axed the entire Changedance/no-male-priest thing with my version of her altogether! I simply made her so obscurely worshipped that very few males ever even learn of her, (females too) so they don't often have a chance to become priests unless called by her personally. Since my version of lolth is even darker and more nasty, Eil's followers tend to get stamped out rather quickly once discovered, which is often. It's harder to hide when anything even remotely tied to her becomes suspect (ie- The drow in my world sneer at singing or playing instruments as "slave's pastimes", and the only dancing they do is competetive- the nedierras.)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  01:21:56  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I hate the matrons....i must admit that I dont think the drow as a race would have survived the crownwars and the betrayal of the faeries without the power of LOLTH !

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1426 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  02:45:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, kind of no, since they did... but when not held in an adamantine hand, the little charmers roll the way of Telantiwar / Golothaer as often as not. So kind of yes, too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  03:41:23  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...vice grip.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  03:47:27  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee, she represents a vision of the Drow that is unique to FR.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur! He showed Lolth that she can't push absolutely everyone around, is primordial, and makes the most frightening followers in my opinion. The kind of drow to worship a pillar of ooze is not the kind of drow I want to meet.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1985 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  22:48:15  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, definitely. They are intriguing, and there is richness to them and their followers. Vhaeraun is evil-aligned, but he is not evil in the same way Lolth is.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  00:43:52  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee is my favorite drow deity. I always like the underdog so to speak.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5664 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  01:38:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kiaransalee, when she's not shown as some cackling hag but rather some drow female with steely nerve that commands respect.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  09:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Old Man Harpell's Homepage Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Kiaransalee, when she's not shown as some cackling hag but rather some drow female with steely nerve that commands respect.

I'd always pictured her as a drow version of Morticia Addams, save without Morticia's belief that she's anything approaching 'normal', and with a more-than-obvious sadistic streak.
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Seeker

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  12:56:26  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Selvetarm; I always thought his character had so much more to offer than as Lloths lackey. His backstory was really interesting. My next pick would've been Zinzerena.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1130 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  11:23:33  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that the dead Gods are stirring I wonder if Selvatarm will come back as Evil or not.

After all he didn't start out evil, it was a result of magical corruption when he killed that demon lord. Maybe his death and the placing of his essence in the celetial tree thing purified it and he's free to walk his own path again.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  13:38:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with Eilistraee. She stands for the drow fighting for the freedom of choice of their race, to shape their own future and forge a rightful ''place'' for their people in an otherwise hostile (to them) world. She also has the charm of the rebel underdog, which I tend to side with.

Vhaeraun comes close second, aiming to obtain something similar to what his sister wants to achieve, but with a more violent and ''drow must rule'' kind of approach (which I don't like as much).

@Gyor

Agreed. If WotC cared to do something about the Dark Seldarine, it'd be nice to have Selvetarm as something more than Lolth's lackey #11

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2013 :  13:42:17  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zinzerena is my favorite drow deity.
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2013 :  17:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I choose Eilistraee because any being with free will may choose evil or good. Even in an evil-dominated society, there are those who will choose a different path. And vice-versa for good-dominated societies. This includes drow. And if there are drow choosing good or behaving in good-aligned ways (or neutral) there should be a deity that represents that. It makes those choices for good or for evil matter and carry greater meaning and nuance. For this not to be the case implies to me that they do not actually have free will. Which makes them a different sort of creature than the lore seeks to make them out to be. If you want drow to be complex creatures who make choices rather than creatures without agency who act only as their nature demands, you must have deities that reflect that.

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)

Edited by - Emma Drake on 02 Sep 2013 05:54:29
Go to Top of Page

Nai_Calus
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  05:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Nai_Calus's Homepage Send Nai_Calus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all about Vhaeraun. Just ask him. ;) I like him a lot and think he's as needed as his sister for getting the drow away from Lolth. He gives the drow who won't/can't turn from the evil they grew up with a place to go and keeps the ones he gets out of Lolth's clutches, keeping souls away from her that would otherwise empower her further. (Heh, in a campaign I ran once he was actually BSing the whole evil thing and had actually volunteered along with his sister to do exactly that.)

Also, he's an evil bastard, but a sensible evil bastard. Hey guys, stabbing each other is stupid and gets us nowhere, how about we actually cooperate for once? OOCness in LP trilogy notwithstanding... (I must not think about that trilogy and start ranting. I must not think about...)

Plus, snazzy fashion sense and kaleidoscope hair/eyes.

I don't think they ever really did him/his followers justice, alas. But that's what campaigns are for.

Selvetarm had it worse though. All that potential with his backstory, and they did nothing at all with it. Phooey.

But yeah, I'm still grumpy they killed him off. He'd better come back in the Sundering. (I still maintain he's not dead and he's just off on a bender with Erevan Ilesere somewhere.)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  09:03:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nai_Calus

It's all about Vhaeraun. Just ask him. ;) I like him a lot and think he's as needed as his sister for getting the drow away from Lolth. He gives the drow who won't/can't turn from the evil they grew up with a place to go and keeps the ones he gets out of Lolth's clutches, keeping souls away from her that would otherwise empower her further. (Heh, in a campaign I ran once he was actually BSing the whole evil thing and had actually volunteered along with his sister to do exactly that.)

Also, he's an evil bastard, but a sensible evil bastard. Hey guys, stabbing each other is stupid and gets us nowhere, how about we actually cooperate for once? OOCness in LP trilogy notwithstanding... (I must not think about that trilogy and start ranting. I must not think about...)

Plus, snazzy fashion sense and kaleidoscope hair/eyes.

I agree, I want him back as much as I want Eilistraee. I'd even like if they started cooperating, to an extent.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  18:36:23  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee. Considering that I'm a goody-goody bleeding heart (according to some members of my gaming group) who greatly appreciates the concepts of love, choice and free will, which Eilistraee represents for the drow, I couldn't possibly choose any of the others, except possibly Vhaeraun. That her priestesses dance naked has nothing to do with my decision; that's just the icing on an already appetizing cake. (Oh man, this seemed so clever when I first thought of it; now it just looks cheesy.)

That Vhaeraun encourages equality amongst his followers appeals to me, but the fact he's still evil bothers me. Wouldn't mind if he were CN, though...
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  20:16:30  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur, because he's the only one truly independent of Lloth, and I think that scares her. All the others only seem to exist to serve her or oppose her, and therefore she has control over them.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  21:02:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and Kiaransalee have their own goals* that are unrelated to Lolth, and can be valid deities on their own. Fact is that Lolth brainwashed the drow to the point that her rivals need to free (well, ''free'' in Kiaransalee's case) them from her influence before proceeding further.

*Even if they removed Lolth, every of them would still make sense.

Vhaeraun wants the drow to grow as a race and reach their former glory. He's also a deity of rebellion, subtle sort of ''guerilla'' and sabotage, and patron of sneaky, ''dark alley''-ish activities.

Eilistraee ''is forging her own path, one that welcomes beings of all races who revel in life and the free form expression of all that entails'' (demihuman deities). She believes in fighting for a sort of utopy where all people can coexist freely and peacefully, and putting drow back at the helm of their own life is obviously a huge part of this. She's also a goddess of dance, music, freedom, creativity and so on, unrelatedly to Lolth.

Kiaransalee is a deity of undeath and revenge, she can exist as such, depsite her relation to Lolth (she has been kind of subdued by Lolth, but this doesn't mean that her character exists in function of the Spider Queen).

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Sep 2013 21:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1265 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  22:19:05  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like all of the drow deities, but if I have to choose just one... Eilistraee.

I liked the Masked Lady even better, though.

Personally, I don't think Eilistraee killed Vhaeraun. I think he was convinced to join with her temporarily.

4E Realms was awful, but it's water under the Boareskyr Bridge. Let's make 5E Realms truly shine!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  16:14:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted Eilistraee but really it's the Masked Lady (which I'm currently re-working on after a computer crash destroyed my file on her).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee. She hasn't failed me yet!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

307 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  00:24:31  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee.

I like her story, or I did till they murdered her.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000