Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bury Elminster Deep (Sample chapter)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  19:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Eltheron-

Those were nearly my exact thoughts before I read the sample chapter, and I expressed them as such on the WotC forums.

I was basically thinking: "Sigh. Here we go again. WotC has made Ed write another Elminster book, and they are doing exactly what I expected them to do - bring back Mystra. No big shock. Ugh. ...and they really did turn El into magical ash. Oh, for the love of..."

Cue several days passing. I finally decide to force myself to read the sample chapter (it's free, and I could quit if I hated it). After I'm done I'm shocked to find that:

1. I actually liked it, despite going into it with MAJOR bias.
2. I couldn't believe how much Ed's writing has improved over the years, and not just improved - it was pretty amazing. I found myself actually wanting to buy the book! Me! Of all people!

If it were not for the knowledge that Mystra / El fans would march on WotC headquarters with torches and pitchforks in hand... well... I'd have even fewer doubts. My initial reaction was exactly like your own: "WotC is trying to pull those upset with all the 4E changes to the Realms back into the setting by returning Mystra. Don't they realize that this is doomed to failure, and that a single token gesture isn't going to appease anyone? After all, the time jump is what made people the most angry, along with the mangling of lore... there is no way they can repair that by bringing Mystra back."

I would have walked away from the sample, believing Ed was deliberately attempting to implant doubts about the authenticity of Mystra. ...except for the warning he gave in his Q&A thread: "Please bear in mind that jumping to conclusions involves leaps into the unknown."

That caused me to raise my eyebrows, believing that he was attempting to give some forewarning to the fans of Mystra that all was not as it seemed, in order to blunt the heartbreak / backlash that would surely come.

Ironically, all of this makes me more eager to read the novel to discover what happens for myself. So, if that was Ed's intention with his comment - bravo. I've fallen for your dirty, dirty tricks. Bravo.

Well, if isn't Mystra in one form or another then there are going to be (myself included) a lot of very upset fans.
I always thought that getting rid of Mystra was a big mistake, too big of a fundamental change for a mature setting. It must of alienated a lot of core fans.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  05:35:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Well, if isn't Mystra in one form or another then there are going to be (myself included) a lot of very upset fans.
I always thought that getting rid of Mystra was a big mistake, too big of a fundamental change for a mature setting. It must of alienated a lot of core fans.

-Not to start one of "those" debates again, but even if it is Mystra/whatever 'everyone' wants, do you really think that is going to unalienate people who feel alienated?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  07:12:34  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Not to start one of "those" debates again, but even if it is Mystra/whatever 'everyone' wants, do you really think that is going to unalienate people who feel alienated?

Exactly. Things will be made more complicated if it is actually Mystra, but she's brought back as darker and edgier than before... that appears to be the general consensus in this thread. If this is true, there will certainly be cries of: "How dare you! Not only did you murder Mystra, but now you bring her back only to defame and desecrate her character!"

From those who hated the Chosen, you'd hear all the old arguments against them all over again. "Oh great! More Chosen... again. Mystra is supposedly weak and barely exists at all and yet she's spitting out Chosen left and right all over again!"

...and we'd get to hear a new argument, similar to some old arguments, if Mystra decides to get some evil Chosen... "How can my heroic characters ever hope to be successful with <insert evil Chosen> constantly plotting to kill them!? My players can never hope to be heroic because <insert evil Chosen> will simply ally with the goblin tribe they're fighting!"

(Notice the subtle difference? Old good Chosen wipe out said goblin tribe, making PC's irrelevant. New evil Chosen ally with said goblin tribe, and then kill the PC's. If there are evil Chosen that are at least as powerful as Elminster, you will hear this argument! Bank on it. )

...and on and on it goes. Whatever the outcome of these novels, one group or another will feel angry, alienated, or have their worst suspicions confirmed. This somewhat has me wondering what possessed WotC / Ed to step into this pile of doo-doo.

For me, personally... I no longer have a stake in the fight. After 4E I disconnected my Realms from canon completely. My Realms looks vaguely similar, but is more-or-less homebrew. I used to cleave as close to canon as possible, and now I feel liberated to a large degree.

This sense of liberation may be one reason I'm able to enjoy the novel for the story. I'm not searching it for Realmslore. It has zero impact on my Realms. If there is something I like within it, or some inspiration, I might steal it or modify it to fit my Realms. Otherwise, it is no different than any other non-Realms novel you'd read.

So, for me, I'm hoping Ed cranks out a good and interesting story. If that happens, I'm happy. I may debate the outcome of the story and the impact it has on Realms canon, but beyond that...? It means little to nothing to my Realms.

That being said... I've been reading comments on other non-Realms related forums. None that I have seen have been good, but I don't think any of them actually read the sample chapter. They saw the blurb and had the same initial reaction that I had upon reading it.

The nicest one that I saw: "If Elminster has been turned into magical ash, there is only one thing left to do: invent cement."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  10:33:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Exactly. Things will be made more complicated if it is actually Mystra, but she's brought back as darker and edgier than before... that appears to be the general consensus in this thread. If this is true, there will certainly be cries of: "How dare you! Not only did you murder Mystra, but now you bring her back only to defame and desecrate her character!"

From those who hated the Chosen, you'd hear all the old arguments against them all over again. "Oh great! More Chosen... again. Mystra is supposedly weak and barely exists at all and yet she's spitting out Chosen left and right all over again!"

...and we'd get to hear a new argument, similar to some old arguments, if Mystra decides to get some evil Chosen... "How can my heroic characters ever hope to be successful with <insert evil Chosen> constantly plotting to kill them!? My players can never hope to be heroic because <insert evil Chosen> will simply ally with the goblin tribe they're fighting!"

(Notice the subtle difference? Old good Chosen wipe out said goblin tribe, making PC's irrelevant. New evil Chosen ally with said goblin tribe, and then kill the PC's. If there are evil Chosen that are at least as powerful as Elminster, you will hear this argument! Bank on it. )

...and on and on it goes. Whatever the outcome of these novels, one group or another will feel angry, alienated, or have their worst suspicions confirmed. This somewhat has me wondering what possessed WotC / Ed to step into this pile of doo-doo.

For me, personally... I no longer have a stake in the fight. After 4E I disconnected my Realms from canon completely. My Realms looks vaguely similar, but is more-or-less homebrew. I used to cleave as close to canon as possible, and now I feel liberated to a large degree.

This sense of liberation may be one reason I'm able to enjoy the novel for the story. I'm not searching it for Realmslore. It has zero impact on my Realms. If there is something I like within it, or some inspiration, I might steal it or modify it to fit my Realms. Otherwise, it is no different than any other non-Realms novel you'd read.

So, for me, I'm hoping Ed cranks out a good and interesting story. If that happens, I'm happy. I may debate the outcome of the story and the impact it has on Realms canon, but beyond that...? It means little to nothing to my Realms.

That being said... I've been reading comments on other non-Realms related forums. None that I have seen have been good, but I don't think any of them actually read the sample chapter. They saw the blurb and had the same initial reaction that I had upon reading it.

The nicest one that I saw: "If Elminster has been turned into magical ash, there is only one thing left to do: invent cement."

Pretty much agree with you...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  17:28:39  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I just don't get a 'darker, edgier' vibe from Mystra as presented in BED. I was really pleased to hear Mystra indict herself for the many mistakes she made in her brief time as a Goddess of Magic. If anything, she seems to recognize some her arrogance, and had learned a lesson in 'soft power'.

quote:

Bury Elminster Deep pre-release version page 7-8

“More than ever, El, I need
your service. You I can truly trust, where so many others have turned from me
or fallen. I can coerce, of course, but I will no longer make that mistake of lesser
gods. The work of slaves is nigh worthless. For deeds to have true and lasting
meaning, they must done willingly. Elminster Aumar, El mine, are you still
mine? Are you with me?”

“Recruit new Chosen, and gather them here for me to confer with. I need
many, and they must be different from my daughters and from each other, for that
kinship was another misstep. Yet, we both know how rarely the needed loyalty and
strength are found together—and above all, I must have those I can trust.”

So frequently in the past, Mystra ruled the Weave with arrogance. Her Chosen strode across Faerun and beyond, stomping down those who were weaker than they. The Goddess herself used coercion and power to cement her relationships; indeed, she did not rely upon Mysteries, but Lies, more often than not.

I think that this incarnation of the Goddess could well be the best, and possibly most 'good' incarnation of Mystra and her Chosen that we have ever seen. I for one look forward to the end of the Chosen as the agents of a corrupted moral authority in the Reams.

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  17:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it truly is Mystra, then maybe it's time that El ascended to Azuths old position.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:13:00  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saer Cormaeril-

Assuming that it is Mystra, how would you feel if she really declared herself as goddess of all magic and began to show it? In other words, she'd want (and display) evil Chosen. They are, after all, wizards, and so long as they are spreading magic they are her servants.

How would you feel if Mystra began to display and show an equal love for all spells? She would admire, love, and promote the use of Mindrape, the animation of the Undead, and even magic that completely destroys the soul of an individual. Yet, at the same time, she would show equal love and admiration for magic that helps feed the hungry, protect the innocent, and destroy or banish the unnatural.

If Mystra does indeed return, this is the direction I believe we'd see her move. As a true goddess of all magic. She'd be a goddess that encourages the creation of new magic and its spread across Toril - for good or for ill.

Of course, one would wonder what would happen to her Chosen... would they suddenly begin defending evil wizards and their dark arts, so long as those wizards -share- their knowledge with other practitioners of the Art? Imagine a situation in which Mystra sends Elminster to defend an evil wizard on the verge of a massive breakthrough in necromancy. Of course, this wizard has obtained most of his "material" illegally from back alleys. In particular, he's been kidnapping and murdering beggars and street urchans. A group of adventurers are on his tail, and Mystra sends El to distract and misdirect the adventurers.

How would you feel about such an outcome?

Since the Shadow Weave is no more... How would you feel if Mystra directed her Chosen to begin seeking out converts among returned Netheril? How would you feel if her Chosen are placed in a position of defending the Shades, and allowing them to do awful things simply because they advance Mystra's agenda to promote magic?
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:21:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Saer Cormaeril-

Assuming that it is Mystra, how would you feel if she really declared herself as goddess of all magic and began to show it? In other words, she'd want (and display) evil Chosen. They are, after all, wizards, and so long as they are spreading magic they are her servants.

How would you feel if Mystra began to display and show an equal love for all spells? She would admire, love, and promote the use of Mindrape, the animation of the Undead, and even magic that completely destroys the soul of an individual. Yet, at the same time, she would show equal love and admiration for magic that helps feed the hungry, protect the innocent, and destroy or banish the unnatural.

If Mystra does indeed return, this is the direction I believe we'd see her move. As a true goddess of all magic. She'd be a goddess that encourages the creation of new magic and its spread across Toril - for good or for ill.

Of course, one would wonder what would happen to her Chosen... would they suddenly begin defending evil wizards and their dark arts, so long as those wizards -share- their knowledge with other practitioners of the Art? Imagine a situation in which Mystra sends Elminster to defend an evil wizard on the verge of a massive breakthrough in necromancy. Of course, this wizard has obtained most of his "material" illegally from back alleys. In particular, he's been kidnapping and murdering beggars and street urchans. A group of adventurers are on his tail, and Mystra sends El to distract and misdirect the adventurers.

Since the Shadow Weave is no more... How would you feel if Mystra directed her Chosen to begin seeking out converts among returned Netheril? How would you feel if her Chosen are placed in a position of defending the Shades, and allowing them to do awful things simply because they advance Mystra's agenda to promote magic?

Perhaps Azuth, being lawful neutral as he was, was so discontented with the new Mystra's imbalance toward good that he simply handed his staff to Cyric?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 11 Jun 2011 18:22:17
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

Saer Cormaeril-

Perhaps Azuth, being lawful neutral as he was, was so discontented with the new Mystra's imbalance toward good that he simply handed his staff to Cyric?

Mystra pleaded guilty to failing her office at her trial and was given another chance. From then on I would imagine that she had a more neutral view on magic users.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:43:12  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question. If Mystra is the goddess of ALL magic, then why is she so weak on her return? As the weave was a construct that allowed magic users to convert raw magic into a more user friendly form, then surely the amount of power available to her is just the same?
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:44:16  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mystra pleaded guilty to failing her office at her trial and was given another chance. From then on I would imagine that she had a more neutral view on magic users.

Kelemvor dramatically changed as a result of the trial, but Mystra not so much. I can easily imagine Azuth remaining irritated by Mystra's continuing imbalance after the trial.

But there I go again, speculating in the face of canon. I really should go get a self-flagellation whip, use it whenever a creative impulse hits, and never attempt to be creative on Candlekeep.

quote:

Question. If Mystra is the goddess of ALL magic, then why is she so weak on her return? As the weave was a construct that allowed magic users to convert raw magic into a more user friendly form, then surely the amount of power available to her is just the same?

Honestly, we should all just wait for the novel to come out so that we have our perfect canon answer. Pesky questions just lead to speculation, and we know that speculation involves creative thought. Can't have any of that. So I suggest waiting.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 11 Jun 2011 18:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  18:47:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one of my pet peeves. Mystra 2.0 leaning overly much towards good was a plot device in one novel. It was presented and dealt with in the same novel -- she was basically slapped down for not being neutral in regards to her office.

It never had any effect on gameplay. It was a one-off plot device, and that's it.

And yet for more than ten years, people have complained about this supposed imbalance that simply does not exist.

I wish people would either get over it, or, even better, read all of the source material they're citing, rather than cherry-picking factoids and plot elements.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  19:10:47  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we all cherry-pick facts in one way or another wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  19:40:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This is one of my pet peeves. Mystra 2.0 leaning overly much towards good was a plot device in one novel. It was presented and dealt with in the same novel -- she was basically slapped down for not being neutral in regards to her office.

It never had any effect on gameplay. It was a one-off plot device, and that's it.

And yet for more than ten years, people have complained about this supposed imbalance that simply does not exist.

I wish people would either get over it, or, even better, read all of the source material they're citing, rather than cherry-picking factoids and plot elements.

Oh Thank you for saying this. Completely true. It is even documented that she has assisted many "evil" mages in the past as long as they create and spread magic. Halaster? Larloch? But I think many have taken their dislike for the Chosen of Mystra and projected it onto Mystra, understandably so. This might be one of the "corrections" that is coming in the next novel.

Edited by - Caolin on 11 Jun 2011 20:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  19:42:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-A billionaire who goes broke when he looses all his assets, it's going to take him a while to build his personal worth back up to levels that are even an echo of what they used to be.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  20:28:01  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm probably going to regret opening this can 'o worms, but I am nothing if not a glutton for punishment.

The truth is that you're correct. As far as I am aware, Mystra after the trial changed her ways. However, there are effectively two types of truth. There are the "facts" and there is "perception." Factually, you're correct. Among the people here you are correct.

However, I think when you step outside of Candlekeep and dedicated Realms forums the perception would be radically different. Hell, even here and on other dedicated Realms forums the perception varies from individual to individual. So this inevitably brings up the question: Why does the perception of Mystra 3.0 differ from the facts?

In my opinion, there are many reasons.

First, it had to do with Mystra's stated alignment as a deity. If you slap a good alignment on something, people expect it - whatever it is - to actually hold to that alignment. I would argue that the moment Mystra began advocating for the use of evil magic (and perhaps even began to dabble herself), and certainly when she began to promote it, is the moment she lost that good alignment. You cannot be good and simultaneously promote and defend those who do evil. Slapping a neutral alignment on Mystra in the 3E FRCS and F&P would have solved that problem.

Second, it had to do with how Mystra's Chosen were portrayed. More often than not they were heroic characters of good alignment. They were frequently fighting against obvious and clear characters that were the designated villains of the setting. Many, though not all, held good alignments themselves. This encouraged the notion that Mystra promotes good.

Sure, we knew (from Ed) that Mystra had evil Chosen. However, they were never put on display. There was no "balance" in the portrayal of Mystra's Chosen. At best, some of her Chosen committed morally dubious acts, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that any were down right villainous.

Third, there was the old TSR ethical code regarding evil. I don't think it is ever possible to overstate enough the influence this code regarding evil has had on the Realms. Though I don't have Ed's own words to back up my assertion here, I feel I'm on pretty strong ground by saying the reason the darker aspects of Mystra and her Chosen were never displayed was because of that code of ethics. The code stated, basically, that evil could never be shown succeeding or in a favorable light.

How then could you show a Chosen of Mystra defending an evil wizard advancing the cause of magic in the Realms? There was simply no way for that to happen, even though it no doubt happened in canon many a time. Showing it later would have created reader whiplash. ("What?! Why is Elminster directing these goodly adventurer folk to their certain deaths so the evil transmuter can continue his experimentation on the fetuses of innocent elf women?!")

In my view, that code has been one of the most destructive legacies ever to plague the Realms. It has (IMO) ruined entire deities such as Cyric, and entire organizations such as the Zhents. It's the reason such organizations are viewed as bumbling, foolish, and inept (to put it all mildly) because they were required to be portrayed in a way that showed them never being successful at their (insanely mild and outright cartoonish) villainy.

It has impacted the very nature of the stories told in the Realms (and here are just a few quotes from Ed on the matter):

quote:
"The return of Bane. As I’ve said before, I’d love to write a novel about the return of Bane, or see a novel written by someone else who I think can properly handle Bane himself (and yes, Jim Lowder would be my first choice, and a superb one), published. However, Wizards seems uninterested in this (yes, I’ve asked, several times, and so have lots of GenCon attendees, over the years), and the best time for such a novel to appear is past. It should have been a “right after the 3rd Edition FRCS” blockbuster.

So yes, I believe the FRCS entry is all you’re going to get for now. I’m hoping that in the context of publishing some lore about the various priesthoods in the Realms, we can sneak in some additional coverage of this - - but of course it’ll be a “possibly distorted by doctrine” version, not a “you the reader are there and so KNOW all of this to be true” viewpoint. Like the slaying of Leira, this was a topic initially ‘off limits’ because of the old TSR Code of Ethics (couldn’t show evil succeeding, and there’s no greater success for evil than godslaying, after all - - regardless of the nature of the deity), and probably makes some game company execs very uneasy because of the American Religious Right’s likely reaction if they get word of such a topic."
- Ed Greenwood on the 21st of January, 2005.

quote:
TSR/WotC Realms novels have that structure because strict sets of Code of Ethics have applied, down the years, mandating that. In short, we were forced to write "good guys win" novels (hence the Keystone Kops-incompetent Zhents of early books). That has slowly been relaxed (as for how CRUCIBLE got that way, it must have had full editorial approval).

You're quite right that evil must triumph to set up those established powerful evil organizations - - and if you check Realmslore, you'll see many, many historical instances of the bad guys winning (fall of Myth Drannor, etc.).
- Ed Greenwood on the 5th of March, 2007

quote:
“The "Keystone Kops" nature of the early published Zhentarim was due to the TSR Code of Ethics, which was being VERY strictly applied to the Realms because Dragonlance (what with Raistlin and Takhisis and Kitiara and the draconians) was seen by some in the company as having 'broken' the Code and gotten far too 'evil-is-successful-and-attractive' - - and "We're NOT going to let that happen in the Realms!"
- Ed Greenwood on the 25th of January, 2005

And on and on it goes. Naturally, the Zhents had many successes otherwise they would have simply collapsed. They were a strongly effective organization. Ed was always clear that we were only seeing a tiny fraction of what was actually going on through the novels. For every failure displayed in the novels, there were ten more successes left untold.

Yet the point is this: No matter what the facts the perception people hold will trump it every single time. If people perceive something incorrectly, it will become the truth to those people.

This brings me to my forth and final point. Because the perception that Mystra and her Chosen were good and heroic, people began to spread that word to others. It was repeated again and again. People who knew little to nothing about the Realms know about Elminster, about the Chosen, and about Mystra. These people in their own ignorance of the facts, repeat the perception to others, and on and on it goes.

Which ultimately brings us full circle and back to the discussion at hand. Since the code of ethics has been relaxed by WotC, and "evil" characters are given more of a fair shake than in the past... assuming that this really IS Mystra... then there will likely be an attempt to display her and her Chosen accurately - as they have been canonically all along, though hidden away from the eyes of readers.

So from the perspective a reader who has been a long fan of Mystra, seeing Mystra and her Chosen actively defend AND work against heroic characters seeking to undermine evil wizards that advance the cause of magic... well... that would definitely be a shift.

Something I personally would love to see, especially if this is the return of Mystra, is for her to attempt to gain followers among the Shades and throughout Netheril. Have her become an underground cult working in opposition to Shar. No, her cult would not dissuade the Netherese from their stated goals of Empire. Nor would it discourage their use of magic toward evil ends. Instead, it would actively encourage these things - and her Chosen would defend them. It would be a wonderful thing in my opinion to have Mystra take one of the Princes of Shade as a secret Chosen.

Edited by - Aldrick on 11 Jun 2011 20:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2011 :  21:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-A billionaire who goes broke when he looses all his assets, it's going to take him a while to build his personal worth back up to levels that are even an echo of what they used to be.

An inaccurate metaphor. Mystra is the god of magic, Mystra is magic. If magic is still there then Mystra should have full access to that power.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  04:25:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it is Mystra, then I think that it's pretty clear that she will be changed radically. Ed's sample chapter describes her as being more distant to El. Maybe it will be more of a return to the original Mystryl rather than the latest (Midnight) Mystra.

Mystra/Midnight was already different in her attitude/treatment of Elminster as opposed to the Myrjala/Mystra. The novels "Elminster in Hell" and "Elminster's Daughter" both give some insight into this changed relationship and how Midnight/Mystra felt a tad uncomfortable with her predecessor's relationship with this particular Chosen. She relied upon him and trusted him but didn't "love" him like the other one did. She also questioned the power and knowledge the previous Mystra had bestowed upon him and made at least one comment that it might be 'safer' to strip him of everything. With the advent of the Spellplague, and the seeming failure of the previous Mystra's best laid plans (although I'm sure I might be off base on this one given Ed's wheels within wheels Realms planning) this vestige of Mystra might be a damaged, quasi-insane half-deity that will stop at nothing and be prepared to use up everything and everyone to get back her godhood. Watch this space kids.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  04:59:17  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Saer Cormaeril-

I would feel sad. I really liked it when Mystra became good (FRA, I think?); and since I think that good and evil are very mortal concepts in DnD, it made me feel like Mysta was on the side of humanity. Her Chosen were each inspiring figures. I love the Seven Sisters. LOVE THEM. The Pleiades were my favorite constellation as a child. Mystra having evil Chosen would be a no-go for me.

From the perspective of my favorite character in the Realms, a devout Mystran before during and after the Plague, I have to believe that the Art has purpose and that the Goddess can cultivate the Art to eliminate evil. Evil always turns on itself in the end in DnD, essentially victimizing itself, like a serpent eating it's own tail. But good builds, good endures. Even if humanity is just a dust-mite leeching a ride on the cosmological infinities, I believe Mystra is with us, not against us.

quote:

I can only have faith that the Goddess is playing a long game beyond my ken, but it boils my blood when her Chosen use mindrape and similar, autonomy corrupting dweomers. For all the inspiration and power the Chosen, particularly the Seven, have lent Faerun, they themselves have too often made personal choices that fell below my metric for moral accountability. Though the daughters of a Goddess, mortal, none the less...

quote:

<snip>

I feel that such an outcome would be horrifying. Everyone knows that the fire in all things is not the plaything of corrupt and petty men.

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  05:00:03  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the problems with saying "never" is that there are always exceptions. And in this case, although you think it's "cherry picking" there were many, many gamers that had this perception of Mystra and her Chosen being good. Mystra's stats in the FRA of 2E count her as Neutral Good. That's CANON, and I guarantee it affected different gamers. But you can circle Mystra's LN alignment from all other sources in red pen and shake it at people angrily, but you're still fighting against some very strong perceptions and the reality of Mystra in 2E. Further, they are well-grounded in the fact that they've never shown us an evil Chosen of Mystra.

As Aldrick said, perception counts for a lot. Not everyone who uses the Realms really cares to read every single thing and commit it to memory. Not everyone who plays in the Realms wants to import every single thing from novel canon. You're welcome to sit on your pile of canon and research minor facts, you can even worship it. But for most people, it's a game and they intentionally pick and choose what they like and want.

As one very interesting example of peoples' thinking about the "good" Mystra, there was a really wonderful Dungeon adventure series called the "Age of Worms" with an awesome conversion by Eric Boyd for the Realms. In it, Boyd had a pretty fascinating option for players where Mystra worshippers could focus on the Mystra-Kelemvor relationship as the "Cult of Ascended Lovers". Now this isn't canon, but it's something that a lot of gamers picked up on in the novels. The idea for the cult was pretty cool, although I don't want to focus specifically on its details.

How long, really, could this cult have been around, given that their relationship was also a "plot point" that resolved itself fairly quickly? Long enough for gamers to think about it. Long enough for Mystra's goodness to filter into the equation, especially since we never see Midnight/Mystra act neutral or give any support to evil mages much less have a balance with evil Chosen?

Also, "when" and "how quickly" things happen in novels for the gods might be vastly different than "when" and "how quickly" they do for mortals. There's this thing called "mythic time" after all. Mortals might never see something that happens between gods (like the Dawn Cataclysm) or they might be drawn out over weeks, months, decades, or millenia. This "Cult of Ascended Lovers" may have been popular in some gamers' campaigns. Just like some gamers built whole campaigns involving Iyachtu Xvim's ascension and other gamers let it pass as a blip just to get Bane back. Same thing with people perceiving Mystra to be good, and not LN. Lots of gamers probably built their campaigns around Mystra being nice and sweet, and it's not up to you to tell them they were wrong. It's a perception, and a choice.

We are meant to pick and choose. And just because people do, it doesn't make them wrong. I wish people would get over treating canon as inviolate.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 13 Jun 2011 05:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  07:43:27  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saer Cormaeril
I would feel sad. I really liked it when Mystra became good (FRA, I think?); and since I think that good and evil are very mortal concepts in DnD, it made me feel like Mysta was on the side of humanity. Her Chosen were each inspiring figures. I love the Seven Sisters. LOVE THEM. The Pleiades were my favorite constellation as a child. Mystra having evil Chosen would be a no-go for me.

Here with this statement you've proven a couple of the points I've been making.

The first is that people who loved Mystra and her Chosen will not be happy by any changes made, because changes - by their very nature - alter something they've loved. So unless Mystra has returned and intends to carry on where she left off, and I believe we have enough solid proof to believe otherwise, individuals such as yourself are going to be left disappointed by the outcome. Depending on the nature of the change - whether it is mild or great - there may even be feelings of alienation. ("How dare you! Not only did you murder Mystra, but now you bring her back only to defame and desecrate her character!") This could have the effect of opening old wounds.

Not to mention there will be individuals who'll be angry at bringing Mystra back in -ANY- incarnation - even as an outright villainous deity.

Second, you prove my point about perception. You view Mystra and her Chosen as goodly heroes of the Realms in your words, "on the side of humanity." And you also state, "Mystra having evil Chosen would be a no-go for me."

You perceived Mystra and her Chosen in a favorable light, for all the reasons you've stated. Others had the same exact perception as you - that they were goodly heroes of the Realms on the side of good - and they hated Mystra and her Chosen for it. The only difference between your perception and their perception of the Chosen is that you loved what you perceived, and they hated it.

However, their perceptions - your perceptions - are (to the best of my knowledge) incorrect. Canonically, Mystra's Chosen existed to promote and spread the use of magic. That's what they did - that was their job. If they had to sometimes do things they felt were morally objectionable to spread and promote the use of magic - they did it anyway.

All of the Chosen have aided evil wizards at various times in the past. Does anyone honestly believe that the Chosen haven't tempted to encourage evil wizards to share their knowledge of magic with others? That was their job, their duty from on high by the Lady of Mysteries herself. ...and imagine if they were successful, all the horrible and evil magic you object to would spread and become more widely available. All of it thanks to Elminster, the Seven, and the rest of the Chosen.

Ed has stated that Mystra did indeed have evil Chosen - at least in the past. She had many more Chosen that we never knew, some of which could still be alive in 4E. This, too, is canon. So, the dislike of Mystra gaining evil Chosen shows the inaccurate perception of Mystra and her Chosen - because evil Chosen have existed in the past, and have likely always existed since the beginning.

Mystra and her Chosen may, at best, have hoped to see magic used for good. They certainly disliked magic being used in a way that caused people to fear wizards. Yet, subtle evil? No problem. And even if an evil wizard is acting in a way that causes people to fear wizards, but also happens to be sharing his arcane knowledge? The Chosen and Mystra are not going to act against him unless he acts against one of them. They may disapprove of his methods, but his contributions to the Art could certainly be deemed more valuable. In fact, Mystra may order one of her Chosen to go to him - if he's causing enough trouble - and give him various tips on acting more subtly, and giving him encouragement to do so - not with sticks, but with honey (more knowledge and power). A prime example of Mystra helping / befriending an evil wizard is the mysterious relationship she had with Larloch.

Ed has even stated that all of the Chosen had, at one point or another, committed evil actions within the service of Mystra. He specifically highlighted murder.

In the end, we either have a goddess of all magic or we don't. If Mystra had decided to shrink her portfolio to "good magic" only, I'm very certain more than a handful of other deities would be happy to fight over "evil magic." This is how the portfolio of magic was divided up in the Mulhorandi Pantheon.

quote:
Evil always turns on itself in the end in DnD, essentially victimizing itself, like a serpent eating it's own tail.

This is a misconception. Evil has to win and be successful quite often. If it was not the case groups such as the Zhents, Red Wizards, Cult of the Dragon, and Returned Netheril could not exist.

Just because evil may not be shown to win in novels, does not mean that it is not making gains - that for every failure there is at least one or more equal successes.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  10:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil not winning in D&D is more due to the publishers fear of glamorising bad deeds and setting a good example to its fans.

Personally I feel that evil chosen wouldn't endure as long as good or neutral chosen simply because of their own natures. Evil beings try to corrupt, overpower and steal etc, these ways lead to far more confrontation with others. Good chosen tend to act like cops- only fighting when truly necessary, thus giving them the opportunity to live (if they win) far longer.
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  14:08:15  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here with this statement you've proven a couple of the points I've been making.

That is incorrect.

quote:

The first is that people who loved Mystra and her Chosen will not be happy by any changes made, because changes - by their very nature - alter something they've loved. So unless Mystra has returned and intends to carry on where she left off, and I believe we have enough solid proof to believe otherwise, individuals such as yourself are going to be left disappointed by the outcome. Depending on the nature of the change - whether it is mild or great - there may even be feelings of alienation. ("How dare you! Not only did you murder Mystra, but now you bring her back only to defame and desecrate her character!") This could have the effect of opening old wounds.

Not to mention there will be individuals who'll be angry at bringing Mystra back in -ANY- incarnation - even as an outright villainous deity.

You are incorrect on all fronts save "This could have the effect of opening old wounds."
Indeed, it could.

quote:

Second, you prove my point about perception. You view Mystra and her Chosen as goodly heroes of the Realms in your words, "on the side of humanity." And you also state, "Mystra having evil Chosen would be a no-go for me."

You perceived Mystra and her Chosen in a favorable light, for all the reasons you've stated. Others had the same exact perception as you - that they were goodly heroes of the Realms on the side of good - and they hated Mystra and her Chosen for it. The only difference between your perception and their perception of the Chosen is that you loved what you perceived, and they hated it.

However, their perceptions - your perceptions - are (to the best of my knowledge) incorrect. Canonically, Mystra's Chosen existed to promote and spread the use of magic. That's what they did - that was their job. If they had to sometimes do things they felt were morally objectionable to spread and promote the use of magic - they did it anyway.

You are incorrect on all fronts again, I am afraid, save the last. The Chosen have frequently made many mistakes of morality.

Please give source and page number to validate the following: "Canonically, Mystra's Chosen existed to promote and spread the use of magic. That's what they did-that was their job"
(I chose to remove the obnoxious bold+underline format, above.)

quote:

All of the Chosen have aided evil wizards at various times in the past. Does anyone honestly believe that the Chosen haven't tempted to encourage evil wizards to share their knowledge of magic with others? That was their job, their duty from on high by the Lady of Mysteries herself. ...and imagine if they were successful, all the horrible and evil magic you object to would spread and become more widely available. All of it thanks to Elminster, the Seven, and the rest of the Chosen.

You've based the above on an incorrect assertion.
Please give one canon example of one of the Seven, or any Chosen, assisting an evil wizard.
(PS, good luck!)

quote:

Ed has stated that Mystra did indeed have evil Chosen - at least in the past. She had many more Chosen that we never knew, some of which could still be alive in 4E. This, too, is canon. So, the dislike of Mystra gaining evil Chosen shows the inaccurate perception of Mystra and her Chosen - because evil Chosen have existed in the past, and have likely always existed since the beginning.

You are incorrect again. Evil Chosen have existed, however, Mystra was using them to her purposes, to cultivate the Art. You fail because you are talking about a different Goddess, the LN goddess of OGB. THE DEAD, OGB, OVER 20YEARS DEAD AND GONE LN GODDESS OF MAGIC.

quote:

<Snipped a bunch of repetitive non-sense>

In the end, we either have a goddess of all magic or we don't. If Mystra had decided to shrink her portfolio to "good magic" only, I'm very certain more than a handful of other deities would be happy to fight over "evil magic." This is how the portfolio of magic was divided up in the Mulhorandi Pantheon.

quote:
Evil always turns on itself in the end in DnD, essentially victimizing itself, like a serpent eating it's own tail.

This is a misconception. Evil has to win and be successful quite often. If it was not the case groups such as the Zhents, Red Wizards, Cult of the Dragon, and Returned Netheril could not exist.

Just because evil may not be shown to win in novels, does not mean that it is not making gains - that for every failure there is at least one or more equal successes.

You are incorrect in your assessments of the progression of Evil. In addition, you seem to be under the laughable impression that the Zhents, Red Wizards, Cult of the Dragons and Shadovar 'could not' exist unless 'Evil Wins'. The very thought is ridiculous to an obscene level.

Brace Cormaeril

Edited by - Saer Cormaeril on 13 Jun 2011 14:09:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  15:23:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saer Cormaeril, you might want to read "All Shadows Fled" (p.290) to see a small example of Sylune working with an evil archmage of Thay and imparting magical knowledge to him.

As for Mystra's Chosen existing to promote and spread the use of magic, that's one of their roles and uses (of many). A little example of that role can be found in "The Temptation of Elminster" (hardcover) pgs.193-195.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  17:33:44  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You are incorrect in your assessments of the progression of Evil. In addition, you seem to be under the laughable impression that the Zhents, Red Wizards, Cult of the Dragons and Shadovar 'could not' exist unless 'Evil Wins'. The very thought is ridiculous to an obscene level.

With respect, I don't think Aldrick was suggesting that "Evil wins" all the time in order for the Zhents, Red Wizards, etc. in order to exist. Rather, it's more that those evil organizations wouldn't exist if they toppled easily and lost every time to those of good or neutral alignment. At their core, each of those organizations really had to have been doing a lot of evil-oriented things in order to prosper. We just never saw those organizations doing their evilness and winning, because it was a TSR "no no!"

If they really did start showing these organizations fully (or whatever their successors/counterparts morphed into for 4E) and truly let readers "see" the depths of evil winning as much as they'd need to just for realism, the Realms would indeed be perceived as having a much darker tone.

In many ways, if they showed evil organizations winning from time to time, if they showed Mystra being more like her old LN Mystryl-like self, IMO not only would it make the Realms more realistic it would also make the wins of heroic protagonists all the more heroic. It would be gritty in the real sense of the word (like a Lieber-style Lankhmar gritty), and not the silly and overdone darky darkness of New Thay or the fakey Chthulu-wannabe-isms of all the Far Realms BS they've tried to inject recently. I utterly hate New Thay for essentially being Mordor. I hate Far Realms because it was their "answer" for needing scary demons/devils after they castrated the scariness of the Abyss and Nine Hells.

But a truly gritty setting with a LN Mystryl goddess and realistic shades of gray like Lankhmar, I'd sign up for that. It would make good characters' efforts all the more emotionally powerful and satisfying, and genuinely more heroic.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2011 :  18:05:21  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You are incorrect on all fronts save "This could have the effect of opening old wounds."
Indeed, it could.

I don't understand why you'd deny that you'd be angry if Mystra was portrayed differently – specifically less goodly. After all, old wounds couldn't be opened unless there were hard feelings and anger involved. You've stated your opinion very clearly on the matter, and in no uncertain terms made it known that it would upset you a great deal to see Mystra change in any really significant way. You liked her as she was, and as a result, want her to stay more-or-less the same.

Yet, all evidence we have at the moment – assuming that this even IS Mystra (a matter up for debate) – points to things going in a direction that you'd disapprove of... I don't understand why you'd reject this notion as being incorrect, when there are many people who'd agree with you.

There were and are tons and tons of people – longtime fans – who loved Mystra exactly as she was, and would prefer to see her return to pick up where she left off.

However, even assuming that is exactly what happens, there are also tons and tons of people – also longtime fans – who hated Mystra for all the reasons that you liked her.

Which goes back to my previous statement, in which I expressed surprise to see WotC / Ed stepping into this pile of doo-doo all over again. I don't see where there can be any middle ground, because if you try and please everyone no one will be pleased. If you try and please one side another will become angry.

The end result is that old wounds open again.

Of course, I don't think this should stop Ed from telling his stories as he sees fit. If he wants to continue writing about Mystra and her Chosen – more power to him. But as a shared setting for authors and a setting in which people also game frequently, there is going to be a diversity of opinion on the matter. Some will like it. Some won't. Some will be indifferent. These opinions will be expressed in any number of ways throughout the community.

quote:
The Chosen have frequently made many mistakes of morality.

Of course they have – this is not a point of disagreement. This is a point of agreement. The Chosen have at times done things that are... less than good. They do these things in the service of Mystra.

quote:
Please give source and page number to validate the following: "Canonically, Mystra's Chosen existed to promote and spread the use of magic. That's what they did-that was their job"

George has already pointed out a couple, but I would point out that just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It goes back to my previous statement on how the TSR code of ethics regarding evil has influenced the Realms. It influenced - quite directly - what you could and could not see the Chosen doing. As a result, it had a direct impact on the perception of the Chosen and Mystra.

I'm not going to sit here and claim that Elminster and the Seven gleefully strode forth to aid evil - no! They may have hated doing it, disliked that aspect of their duties, or simply decided to take the long view and hope for the best. They could have even spent huge portions of their time working to undermine or negate the magic of evil wizards, and then spread that magic to the rivals and enemies of said evil wizards. This would be completely consistent with the duties of the Chosen.

However, that still doesn't negate the fact that there were many more Chosen than we knew about. Some of them could have easily been doing the exact opposite of what Elminster and the Seven were doing, and for every act of goodness they brought into the world an equally evil act was committed by another Chosen somewhere else.

quote:
I can confirm two things, from my own prior knowledge. Yes, Mystra has had evil (and amoral, self-interested) Chosen...as well as Chosen who have "gone bad."
- THO, July 16, 2010

quote:
Now as for the Chosen: Mystra has indeed had evil Chosen (NDAs prevent me from saying much about who, when, why, and so on)...
- Ed Greenwood September 4, 2005

He goes on to state the following, regarding what Mystra has learned about having evil Chosen:

quote:
[Mystra has] learned that evil beings, whatever their promises to her or initial intent, always drifted into "control" of magic (heavy restrictions), rather than just strategically letting this person but not that person have a particular spell or lore-knowledge.

I would point out that the same can be true of good aligned Chosen who attempt to restrict the knowledge of magic due to moral reasons. I would also point out that Ed specifically mentioned groups such as Thay, primarily because their power was bound up in their control of magic. This does not, and indeed cannot, be the case for any Chosen of Mystra.

While it might be possible, and even desirable, to deny certain individuals or groups knowledge (because they would use it to cause harm to the Weave, for example), the Chosen always drift toward openness and the spreading of magical knowledge. That is one of their core duties.

As a result, there is no reason an evil wizard who was very adept and knowledgeable in bending, controlling, and breaking the minds of sentient beings - who was constantly studying new ways to improve this art - would be excluded from becoming a Chosen. The only thing that would be required of him is that he share and spread this knowledge to others, and this easily benefits an evil wizard as he can offer his knowledge in trade for the knowledge of others. "I shall grant to you the knowledge of how to break all mental barriers and bend those who oppose you to your will, but in exchange you shall show me how you've created this extra-dimensional portal which has not been seen since the fall of the Imaskari. This knowledge must be spread, so that the power and influence of the Lady of Mysteries can grow."

And of course, the more power and influence Mystra, her Chosen, and her faithful have the more power that the evil Chosen has - it's a beneficial relationship.

So, being evil does not preclude you from being a Chosen of Mystra. Mystra simply favors those who intend to spread magic, because it is beneficial to her for them to do so. The key then, when it comes to
selecting a new Chosen - regardless of alignment, is to ensure that they align with Mystra's stated goals.

quote:
Yes, all of the Chosen have performed evil tasks … to advance Mystra's aims. Magic has been stolen by Chosen, copied or duplicated against the wishes of (or laws crafted by) its owners by the Chosen, some of the Chosen have tricked, killed, and betrayed (into death-traps) particular rulers, and so on.

quote:
... the Chosen understand their cardinal role (helping Mystra spread the use of magic throughout Faerûn, by undertaking specific tasks she orders - - some of which they may not understand or see the point of, at all).

... if you encounter Chosen portrayed in game play or Realms publications as not knowing or agreeing with this role, either you're seeing other creatures masquerading as Chosen, or encountering the work of a player or DM who doesn't understand the Chosen, and DOES see them as "Ed's meddling old goat wizards and superbabes serving Miss Goody Two-Boots Magic to defeat evil and spread overly-sweet goodness across the Realms."

quote:
This comment from Ed is regarding these words (and only these words) from Markustay:

quote:
"First, I never said Mystra was a 'force for good' - she isn't.

She is a force to promote Arcane magic, and she uses the weave to that end. Technically, I think of Mystra as more of an immensely powerful, sentient artifact. She was created by gods, and is the self-aware consciousness of the weave. At that level of power, the difference between such an artifact and a 'true god' is negligible; merely a matter of semantics. She's like an overly-complex computer program that keeps needing to be rebooted every so often.

Anyhow, the spread of Ubral (shadow) magic is what she is trying to prevent - its natural connections to death would have a devastating effect on the Realms (look at Anauroch). That may make it seem like she is a force for good, but technically 'Good vs Evil' don't enter into it - magic is merely a means to an end, and can be used for either. It is the type of magic she is most concerned with.

While the 'free use of magic' is best-promoted by a free, democratic society, it is not necessary. She obviously had no problem with Aryvandaar and the Vyshann Empire (although it is questionable how much control she can exert over elves). Tyranny tends to lend itself to those in power being the only ones allowed to hold power, and that is the only reason why Mystra opposes those types of cultures."

Ed saith:

Markustay, every word of this is correct, and is superbly expressed. Right on, in every detail.

All I can say, in the end, is that Mystra and her Chosen have both benefited and been harmed by the perception people have of them. Too often people don't stop to think and consider what things look like as a whole. They focus on the details and knowledge before them, ignoring the fact that knowledge and information is frequently denied, hidden, or unknown.

Just because we've seen Mystra and her Chosen doing certain things, does not mean that they are also not doing OTHER things that we don't see. ...or indeed, whether Mystra has tons more Chosen that we've never known about. Ed has made clear in the past that there are others that we are unaware of and he can't really go further than that due NDA.

Just as an example, here is one Chosen Ed has brought up in the past:

quote:
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”

Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).

Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.

Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).

Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.

Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).

Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.

This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}
- Ed Greenwood August 23, 2009

I imagine there could be hordes of Chosen just like Narandor, who more often than not, keep a low profile. Some of these Chosen could certainly be evil, living in near isolation, content to simply study their magic undisturbed.

quote:

I did not say that they could not exist unless 'Evil Wins'. I said that evil has to win - as in they have to make gains - in order to continue to exist. At some point, this means that the good guys lose. Harpers get discovered and killed while infiltrating the Zhents, and fail to stop the plans of the Zhents. Zhents infiltrate the Harpers and cause the destruction of an entire cell, allowing them to operate in an area unchallenged.

Unless the bad guys have creditable victories they lose resources, power, and influence... and from there, it will simply be a long downward spiral until they no longer exist.

Over the long term, in D&D, things tend to balance themselves out. Strong gains by evil tend to be pushed back by good, but likewise strong gains by good get pushed back by evil. From a mortal perspective things may seem very different, but over the course of hundreds and thousands of years, it all balances itself out on a cosmic scale.

Edited by - Aldrick on 13 Jun 2011 18:16:14
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  04:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

With respect, I don't think Aldrick was suggesting that "Evil wins" all the time in order for the Zhents, Red Wizards, etc. in order to exist. Rather, it's more that those evil organizations wouldn't exist if they toppled easily and lost every time to those of good or neutral alignment. At their core, each of those organizations really had to have been doing a lot of evil-oriented things in order to prosper. We just never saw those organizations doing their evilness and winning, because it was a TSR "no no!"

If they really did start showing these organizations fully (or whatever their successors/counterparts morphed into for 4E) and truly let readers "see" the depths of evil winning as much as they'd need to just for realism, the Realms would indeed be perceived as having a much darker tone.

In many ways, if they showed evil organizations winning from time to time, if they showed Mystra being more like her old LN Mystryl-like self, IMO not only would it make the Realms more realistic it would also make the wins of heroic protagonists all the more heroic. It would be gritty in the real sense of the word (like a Lieber-style Lankhmar gritty), and not the silly and overdone darky darkness of New Thay or the fakey Chthulu-wannabe-isms of all the Far Realms BS they've tried to inject recently. I utterly hate New Thay for essentially being Mordor. I hate Far Realms because it was their "answer" for needing scary demons/devils after they castrated the scariness of the Abyss and Nine Hells.

But a truly gritty setting with a LN Mystryl goddess and realistic shades of gray like Lankhmar, I'd sign up for that. It would make good characters' efforts all the more emotionally powerful and satisfying, and genuinely more heroic.

I argued this point in another thread on here a while ago. I thought it was the thread dealing with the idea of having a series of novels centered on villains, but I am not sure. I am in agreement. For Thay or the Zhents to be what they are, they had to have had several victories. And they have to continue to have them.

As for the preview chapter, I liked it and I am curious to see where it goes. It would be nice to finally see an evil Chosen in the fiction.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  04:50:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unimpeachable work, Sage Aldrick. Well said! I commend you.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Jun 2011 04:53:33
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  05:49:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

As for the preview chapter, I liked it and I am curious to see where it goes. It would be nice to finally see an evil Chosen in the fiction.

-I don't even particularly like Mystra's Chosen, but I'm all for seeing as many as possible being revealed, with as much variety as possible.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  07:55:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just read the sample chapter, and I'm not sure if I'm glad I did, or not. If not for Mystra and Alassra (and her possible revival), I wouldn't bother buying the book. Arclath going crazy...Now where did I hear that before?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000