Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Quick Question: Troll Lifespan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Obsindian
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  01:04:00  Show Profile Send Obsindian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, I am new here. While I have read a few of the Realms novels, I have never owned any of the role playing books, nor have I played any campaign.

I can't seem to find the answer to my question. Does anyone know the max lifespan of a troll? Of course, death by old age and not some adventurer's fire enchanted sword, hahaha.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  01:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a perfect answer, but the Sea of Fallen Stars sourcebook notes that scrags (underwater trolls) have a lifespan of "300+." Take of that what you will.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Obsindian
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  02:00:01  Show Profile Send Obsindian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This answer works very well for me. Before I could not even guess. Thank you for the answer :)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  02:10:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on version some however 80 years was normal for a normal troll *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  15:47:06  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Venerable or old aged trolls would slowly lose their regenerative ability at the age of about 80 years, aye. They'll choose to seperate themselves from any clan they were in to die a peaceful death when able, because their fellow trolls really like to abuse them otherwise. The ability to ignore pain is a coveted and oftenly persued virtue for trolls; those that show weakness are often rend apart.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  17:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can either of you cite sources for that?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2011 :  22:43:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is the 3rd party product Slayers Guide to Trolls.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  02:40:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well just to make things interesting, I did find 2nd Edition citation that said they live to about 100 years, the 80 year quote I provided was something I read from WotC for 3.X, alass search of that site has not worked well. Either they need a far better search engine or I need to recall more about the article.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  04:28:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Pretty long lifespan for such "brutal" creatures. Orcs, they're also "brutal", and their natural lifespans are much shorter. Must be the regeneration keeping them alive longer. Wolverine, to use an example, has a healing factor, and he's over a century old, but appears in his mid-30s or so.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000