Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Anyone with a PhD on evil outsiders?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chalaeus of the Warrens
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  04:12:42  Show Profile Send Chalaeus of the Warrens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm attempting to gather information on evil outsiders and wanted everyone's input on the best source of information. Also, does anyone know if Nightmares can breed with normal horses? And, is there a known multi-racial group that's devoted to the slaying of evil outsiders? Thanks in advance for the input.

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  05:39:48  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might check THIS recent scroll for sources on fiends and the Nightmare.

I'm not certain if they can breed with normal horses, but if they can breed with shapechanged humanoids, I'd say it's a safe bet.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Apr 2011 06:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  06:45:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can also breed with unicorns, which gives you a very scary result (and quite insane).

Hopefully, our resident expert Shemmy will be along - he is the 'go to' person for all things outsider & evil (in two different over-cosmologies, now).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  07:06:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My curiosity is aroused. I seem to recall a Dragon article about Equines of the Planes that may have more information, but can't seem to find it right now (it's 2 AM). I also thought the "Ecology of the Night Hag" article may have something since I could not find an "Ecology of the Nightmare," but no luck there either. Markus has the right of it. Shemmy will know.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Chalaeus of the Warrens
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  15:53:50  Show Profile Send Chalaeus of the Warrens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been intrigued by the prospect of the horse as well, but was unsure what the chances of success were (with the flame-wreathed hooves and such). I was also curious about the group of demon slayers, the only thing remotely close which I've been able to find was a wiki article on the Impilturan Demonslayer, which didn't quite fit what I'm looking for because they're a prestige or epic class of rangers with the ability to cast arcane spells. I'm looking for something more along the lines of a Triadic Knight or maybe a Sunmaster. Does anyone know of an established group, maybe worshipers of Amaunator/Lathander, with multiple classes and races, that is devoted to slaying demons, devils, and such? And thanks for the links, guys, they were very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  20:49:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR has Asperii, which are like wingless pegasi.

Just in-case you were looking for some sort of mount for the 'good guys'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  01:36:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a Demonslayer class in the Savage Tide adventure path. Twas more a primitive tribal sort of thing though. I spose it could be adapted readily enough, but it wasn't FR specific.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  06:08:41  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chalaeus of the Warrens

I've been intrigued by the prospect of the horse as well, but was unsure what the chances of success were (with the flame-wreathed hooves and such). I was also curious about the group of demon slayers, the only thing remotely close which I've been able to find was a wiki article on the Impilturan Demonslayer, which didn't quite fit what I'm looking for because they're a prestige or epic class of rangers with the ability to cast arcane spells. I'm looking for something more along the lines of a Triadic Knight or maybe a Sunmaster. Does anyone know of an established group, maybe worshipers of Amaunator/Lathander, with multiple classes and races, that is devoted to slaying demons, devils, and such? And thanks for the links, guys, they were very helpful.

If you're looking for canon groups, I can't think of anything large-scale. If you're willing to talk homebrew, I have been running a game in the Demonlands for which I have come up with a few things, mostly using the Knight of the Chalice PrC from CoW. I had all the usual suspects (the Triad, Bahumat, Helm) as well as some more unusual ones (Kelemvorites, a group of elves hoping to reclaim the lost lands of their people, Waukeenar wishing to avenge the insult done to their goddess after the ToT, etc.)

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  15:55:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They were published previously in some monster collection cards, and later in the Forgotten Realms Monster Compendium. And their powers are similar to those of the Dragon Horse from 1e (I think from Monster Manual II), the samurai's mount on the 1e Oriental Adventures cover, by Jeff Easley.

About demonslayers, I think the "Order of the Shooting Stars", a group of rangers devoted to Mystra, deals with outer planar and magical monsters that threaten the natural environment. They are cited on the 2e Faiths & Avatars.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 12 Apr 2011 15:56:51
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  15:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think nightmares should definitely be able to interbreed with horses, and I think it would be especially neat to have a nightmare "alpha" and a herd of fiend-touched horses. The Burning Herd, you might call them.

quote:

I've read about those before I think, but when I saw this comment I immediately thought "wait, isn't a wingless pegasus just a horse?"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 13 Apr 2011 16:00:58
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:02:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
)
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I think nightmares should definitely be able to interbreed with horses, and I think it would be especially neat to have a nightmare "alpha" and a herd of fiend-touched horses. The Burning Herd, you might call them.

quote:

I've read about those before I think, but when I saw this comment I immediately thought "wait, isn't a wingless pegasus just a horse?"

Cheers

Elaine used that beast in Elfsong...I thought the were more magical in nature that a regular horse (beside the flying I mean, being made up for wind or some such.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Apr 2011 16:03:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  18:02:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

(cue Johnny Cash) "Ghost riders in... the sky!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Apr 2011 18:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  19:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chalaeus of the Warrens

So, I'm attempting to gather information on evil outsiders and wanted everyone's input on the best source of information. Also, does anyone know if Nightmares can breed with normal horses? And, is there a known multi-racial group that's devoted to the slaying of evil outsiders? Thanks in advance for the input.

No reason why they couldn't, making half-fiend horses in the process. Heck, in theory a maralith (or most any other type of fiend) could do the deed. A generation or two down, a breed of tiefling'ish horses might be really cool.

Somewhere there's a Nightmare Moon joke I want to make.

As for the second question, off the top of my head, the one thing that jumps out was a PrC in one of the 3.0 splatbooks, the Knights of the Chalice, dedicated to slaying or banishing demons. It was a generic, non-setting specific thing, and hasn't been referenced elsewhere to my knowledge.

The BoED surely had something, but I try to avoid that one for the continuity issues that it had. Warriors of Heaven from 2e probably had some stuff as well, but again it has some issues of its own, and since it was a generic, non-Planescape book I don't have as much of a handle on the contents without looking back at my copy.

There's more out there, but my head is stuck in all things -Science!- at the moment, and I have to go back to a meeting shortly. Will think about this and post anything else that comes to mind later on.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Chalaeus of the Warrens
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  20:26:16  Show Profile Send Chalaeus of the Warrens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my computer fixed! Thanks for all the enlightening posts, I was trying to determine whether my story's protagonist would be able to have a half-nightmare mount. I'm thinking of basing my story around Impiltur, because I enjoy the idea of the reactions a tiefling or cambion protagonist would get from the natives of the region. Would it be unlikely for a noble of Impiltur to dabble in the slave trade? I'm assuming it wouldn't be COMPLETELY unheard of, given the proximity of Thay and Mulhorand. But I suppose that's a separate topic altogether. . . Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000