Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Fiend related sourcebooks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Folly
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  06:50:39  Show Profile Send Folly a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. What has drawn me out is help and advice from my fellow gamers. I am currently working on a character for a game I'm playing with my friends and the frame for him is a Demonologist.
My question is, can I get a list of 3rd and 3.5 edition books that would be of help in this endeavor. Books on devils/demons/fiends, the planes, etc. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated mates!

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  07:08:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I told someone earlier about the Book of Vile Darkness...it has lots in it.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  07:40:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fiendish Codexes 1&2, Faces of Evil; the Fiends and Hellbound both 2e Planescape Supplements, and The Guide to Hell, also a 2e product. There is a good collection of lore called The Gates of Hell at Dicefreaks. A good 3rd party netbook. And of course the Demonomicon of Iggwilv from Dungeon.

You might also look in either of the 3.5 books Underdark or Drow of the Underdark in one of them is the Demonbinder PrC.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 27 Mar 2011 07:53:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  08:29:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellfire referenced the most prominent sources.

I'd also recommend two third-party supplements which offer fascinating takes on both demons and devils -- Armies of the Abyss and Legions of Hell -- and published by Green Ronin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  09:07:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Green Ronin books the Sage recommends were later added together with an equally large piece about daemons (the yugoloths not being open content) and published as Book of Fiends?

Another great source for demons are the Demonimocon of Iggwilw articles by James Jacobs in Dragon Magazine.
#329 - Pazuzu
#333 - Fraz-Urb'luu
#337 - Zuggtmoy
#341 - Baphomet
#345 - Kostchtchie
...are all available as downloads at the Paizo store, and
#349 - Dagon is at least listed with a price, still.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 27 Mar 2011 09:09:53
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  09:46:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other relevant (2E) planescape books are Planes of Law, Planes of Chaos, Planes of Conflict, and the Into The Abyss adventure. 2E fiend lore is scattered through almost every planescape product.

The SRD and Wikipedia have plenty of 3.?E-era D&D demon/devil lore.

Some of the more fiendish d20 products are: Book of Fiends (Volume I: Legions of Hell and Volume II: Armies of the Abyss), Fiendish Codex (I: Hordes of the Abyss and II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells), Anger of Angels, Demons and Devils, Oathbound (Domains of the Forge and The Plains Of Penance), Encyclopaedia Magica (Demonology: The Dark Road), Aasimar & Tieflings: A Guidebook To The Planetouched, and The Slayer's Guide To Demons.
None of these are canon. Quality, compatibility, tastefulness, and game balance varies, YMMV.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Mar 2011 09:50:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  15:09:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder's two volumes of the Book of the Damned (Lords of Chaos and Princes of Darkness) are good, too. They're not Realms-specific (and are in fact for another campaign setting, Golarion), but they've got some good stuff and I think they are in some ways superior to Planescape stuff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  16:33:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, excellent! Another fiendish book I haven't read. Mwoohahahaa.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  17:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pathfinder's two volumes of the Book of the Damned (Lords of Chaos and Princes of Darkness) are good, too. They're not Realms-specific (and are in fact for another campaign setting, Golarion), but they've got some good stuff and I think they are in some ways superior to Planescape stuff.

You know, the planar fan in me is embarrassed to say that I actually forgot about those two great sources.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  18:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

You know, the planar fan in me is embarrassed to say that I actually forgot about those two great sources.

Volume I and II of the 'Book of the Damned' series are seriously, seriously good.

'The Great Beyond' is pretty good too from what I've heard. ;)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  18:52:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shemmy, always a pleasure to see you round here. Are there Celestial counterparts to the Books of the Damned?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 27 Mar 2011 19:02:18
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  19:26:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While searching the Paizo website I dicovered Monster Chronicles: Nightmare co-written by our very own Ed Greenwood and Paizo's Rob McCreary. One thing is certain, it's worth the 3 bucks.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  19:29:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose (Goethe's) Faust is the classic fiend-related sourcebook, though not written D&D. Worth mentioning.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  19:43:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fellfire — Are there Celestial counterparts to the Books of the Damned?
Yes, but not as many. Those glowy-halo featherwings just aren't as marketable as nasty ol' fiends.

Planescape: On Hallowed Ground, Planes of Law, Planes of Chaos, Planes of Conflict, The Deva Spark (adventure)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  19:53:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referring to a Pathfinder product. I was unable to find one on their site, so I suspect that you are right.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7972 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  20:12:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's face it ... your party discovers that the only way they can destroy the Kidney of Vecna is to crush it under a big rock (the legendary kidney stone, of course) on some faraway exotic outer plane. It would make sense to put this special rock on the peak of Mount Celestia, where wholesome rays of goodness can cook away Vecna's renal vileness once and for all. Yet 9.73 out of every 10 DMs will choose, of all the possible places in the infinite multiverse, a nicely tropical adventure set somewhere like the 349th layer of the Abyss. Ergo, there's little demand for angels.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  22:35:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, let's face it ... your party discovers that the only way they can destroy the Kidney of Vecna is to crush it under a big rock (the legendary kidney stone, of course) on some faraway exotic outer plane. It would make sense to put this special rock on the peak of Mount Celestia, where wholesome rays of goodness can cook away Vecna's renal vileness once and for all. Yet 9.73 out of every 10 DMs will choose, of all the possible places in the infinite multiverse, a nicely tropical adventure set somewhere like the 349th layer of the Abyss. Ergo, there's little demand for angels.

Well, it does seem a little less heroic to mount an assault against the Seven Heavens than it does to do the same against the Nine Hells.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  23:07:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, it does seem a little less heroic to mount an assault against the Seven Heavens than it does to do the same against the Nine Hells.

My favorite adventure of all time is when my SHADE (who was Neutral Evil) had to sneak into an upper plane to steal something! Talk about feeling out of place!

With all the light and lack of shadows...lets just say I felt awkward!

did I spell that right? lol

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  02:01:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I would think that depends on how the campaign itself is waged.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Mar 2011 02:02:21
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  02:19:27  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not FR or even WotC, but for the sake of completeness Green Ronin's Book of Fiends I and II (Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss) and the Slayer's Guide to Demons by Mongoose Publishing deserve a mention. Does anybody know what ever became of the Slayer's Guide to Devils? Was it ever published?

edit: Sorry for the repeat reference on the Green Ronin books, Sage. I don't know how I missed that.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Apr 2011 05:42:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  02:32:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Does anybody know what ever became of the Slayer's Guide to Devils? Was it ever published?
The last bit of info I have on this, is from 2008. At which time, it was still listed as "delayed/postponed."

I've not heard anything about it since.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  06:17:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

While searching the Paizo website I dicovered Monster Chronicles: Nightmare co-written by our very own Ed Greenwood and Paizo's Rob McCreary. One thing is certain, it's worth the 3 bucks.

I just got this and as I suspected, twas a good read. A little short at only 8 pages, but worth a couple of bucks. I especially liked the Vampiric Nightmare and the Nightmare-sired Tiefling .
I was actually a little disappointed by the lack of a definitive origin. It states that they are neither devils nor horses, but doesn't say what they actually are or where they come from.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Apr 2011 06:56:51
Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  14:15:12  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Planescape supplement 'Faces of Evil' is fantastic. I think it's one of the best D&D books ever released, in fact. There are no stats in it at all; it's purely lore so it is useful with whatever system of edition you want to run.

I also have to agree with Wooly and Shemmy. I really like Paizo's 'Book of the Damned Volume 1: Princes of Evil' which deals with Devils. I keep meaning to buy the new one, 'Lords of Chaos' but haven't got around to it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  14:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fingal
I keep meaning to buy the new one, 'Lords of Chaos' but haven't got around to it yet.

It's really, -really- good. James Jacobs did a spectacular job on that one. :)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  13:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiend Folio

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  21:50:34  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such excellent references! Thanks for the related books I've never heard of before ...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000