Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A few thoughts on the Servant of the Fallen feat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  12:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

The feat as written can only be taken by Clerics but what about other Divine spell casting classes (and Prcs) a Druid of Moander or a Paladin of Amaunator would also be unable to cast spells or use divine abilities, could they take Servant of the Fallen as well amnd regain there divine granted powers?

Also could say Shuruppak (Gilgreams former chosen) use the Servant of the Fallen feat to reconnect with Gilgream and regain his Chosen powers?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  22:50:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The feat as written can only be taken by Clerics but what about other Divine spell casting classes (and Prcs) a Druid of Moander or a Paladin of Amaunator would also be unable to cast spells or use divine abilities, could they take Servant of the Fallen as well amnd regain there divine granted powers?

Also could say Shuruppak (Gilgreams former chosen) use the Servant of the Fallen feat to reconnect with Gilgream and regain his Chosen powers?

You're right, it should be expanded to include all divine spellcasters.

As for Shuruppak... I'd say not. Why? Because a deity specifically selects a Chosen, and invests in that person a piece of their own divine essence. While granting spells is almost a reflexive action for gods, I'd say they'd have to be fully conscious to imbue a Chosen with their power. And with his recent death at Tiamat's hands, Gilgeam (if he's still around, and didn't simply leave or get banished) may not have the power to spare for a Chosen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  22:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if thats the case

Elminster and the other Chosen of Mystra should have become alot less Healthy and some of them should have dropped dead from old age when Helm killed Mystra during the Time of Troubles.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  23:23:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Well if thats the case

Elminster and the other Chosen of Mystra should have become alot less Healthy and some of them should have dropped dead from old age when Helm killed Mystra during the Time of Troubles.

Not necessarily... Mystra was a heck of a lot more powerful, had already made provisions for her death, and kinda dissolved back into the Weave. Also, part of the reason she had Chosen was in case something happened to her. Most importantly, Mystra was slain during the Time of Troubles, when all the normal deific rules had been chucked out the window. Gilgeam was slain after the ToT, and on his home plane, too.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I was wondering the same thing about Servant of the Fallen after thinking on it for awhile, but with respect to a different question.

Basically, it reads as though if you are a cleric, you gain the ability to cast spells only, but on the same token, says nothing about access to other clerical abilities (e.g. turn/rebuke undead). I just assumed that this would be included as the nice answer in my campaign, but Dargoth knows how fuzzy my mind is...

what with his recent infestation of dwarves and all...
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  13:40:24  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happens if you take this feat and then your god returns from the dead (like Bane)? Are you now stuck with the feat or do you get rewarded with a new feat from your deity? I prefer the latter especially as it is an incentive to work to bring your deity back (however remote that possibility is).

- Ed

Edited by - edbonny on 28 Feb 2005 16:56:40
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  14:55:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

What happens if you take this feat and then your god returns from the dead (like Bane)? Are you know stuck with the feat or do you get rewarded with a new feat from your deity? I prefer the latter especially as it is an incentive to work to bring your deity back (however remote that possibility is).

- Ed

Not sure if the prereqs would always work, but I'd be tempted to give the character the Initiate of XXX feat to replace the Servant of the Fallen (XXX) feat if the god comes back to life.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  22:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Banes Church in Mourktar never converted to Cyric or Xvim and as of Faithes of Avatars it wasnt known who was granting them spells, maybe they'd all taken the Servant of the Fallen Feat

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  23:41:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

What happens if you take this feat and then your god returns from the dead (like Bane)? Are you know stuck with the feat or do you get rewarded with a new feat from your deity? I prefer the latter especially as it is an incentive to work to bring your deity back (however remote that possibility is).

- Ed

Not sure if the prereqs would always work, but I'd be tempted to give the character the Initiate of XXX feat to replace the Servant of the Fallen (XXX) feat if the god comes back to life.

--Eric

That's a good suggestion.

But I'd go a little further -- at the least, an XP bonus from the newly-returned deity. Why? Well, any clerics after that could take the Initiate feat, so it makes sense that the truly loyal, those who believed when the deity was pushing up daisies, should get special recognition from the deity.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:17:35  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

You know, I was wondering the same thing about Servant of the Fallen after thinking on it for awhile, but with respect to a different question.

Basically, it reads as though if you are a cleric, you gain the ability to cast spells only, but on the same token, says nothing about access to other clerical abilities (e.g. turn/rebuke undead). I just assumed that this would be included as the nice answer in my campaign, but Dargoth knows how fuzzy my mind is...

I have a question along these lines too. Is the +1 luck bonus in place of Domain Granted Powers or is the luck bonus in addition to the Domain Granted Powers? I think it is the first one since they are special enough to get clerical spells.
Any thoughts?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:47:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's the second one. Basically the +1 luck bonus is "half a feat", to compensate for the fact that you're burning a feat for a role-playing hook.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:57:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I have a question along these lines too. Is the +1 luck bonus in place of Domain Granted Powers or is the luck bonus in addition to the Domain Granted Powers? I think it is the first one since they are special enough to get clerical spells.
Any thoughts?

I would put it in place of the domain powers, since there's no indication that those are granted...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  08:02:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth mentioned a Druid of Moander in his OP. Since Moander's all the rage these days, where can I find information about this class? Is it canon or was it homebrew?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  14:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Dargoth mentioned a Druid of Moander in his OP. Since Moander's all the rage these days, where can I find information about this class? Is it canon or was it homebrew?
I believe it would just be a druid who has take the Servant of the Fallen feat (Lost Empires of Faerűn, page 9).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000