Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you would live in the Realms...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:11:00  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...WHERE would you like to live and why?
If I would be a faerunian it would be my dream to open an martial arts school in Silverymoon. It's beatiful, big and diverse in culture and races.

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere close to a plagueland. A place where I can walk in and get superpowers, even lovecraftian super powers, is rather appealing.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  08:26:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would live in the Dales or the Moonsea area. Just the open lands aspect of both are appealing to me.

Hunting in lands once held by the elves would be awesome...even here in Montana there are few places you can go where mankind hasn't messed it up.

Living the Moonsea area, I would have to be in the north coast. Being a mercenary in one of the cities would be cool...but boring. More than likely I'd want to ride with the Erraka of The Ride and be a barbarian there...or else a member of a tribe within Thar of the Snow People.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:03:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...in Shade...to replace Telamont.

Seriously, my reason would be to further understand their culture and multifaceted schemes. Of course there would be a prerequisite: that I am rendered immune to whatever possible manipulation or harm they might inflict on me.

Or I could go back in time and live in Netheril, where I'd learn magecraft, and like Larloch, Telamont, and a few others, survived the Fall.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:55:21  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's safest? I don't want to be eaten or magicked!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  12:27:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Where's safest? I don't want to be eaten or magicked!

Without a doubt, Thay.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  12:31:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr...

Forgot why.

So I could run with Alusair in the Stonelands and serve the Purple Dragon...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 03 Apr 2011 12:34:31
Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  13:11:26  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leuthilspar in Evermeet (Evermeet in Faerie), Evereska, Sildeyuir, or somehwere in Faerie.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  14:31:38  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So I could run with Alusair in the Stonelands and serve the Purple Dragon...

I'm thinking it's a rather personal service you're offering...

I'm all about Waterdeep, myself, though I would have to specify Waterdeep as it existed before 4E. My second choice -- or my 4E choice -- is Silverymoon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:26:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anywhere in the Border Kingdoms, the Dragon Coast, the Moonsea, or Thay.

For a specific location, I would have to say Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Abenabin Gimblescrew
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:36:19  Show Profile Send Abenabin Gimblescrew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Western Heartlands, the Dales, Cormyr, Mulhorand, and perhaps Tethyr or Calimshan (kind of a toss up there). I like the North and Sword Coast, but I think I'd rather visit then actually live there. Its just too drafty up there!

Invention is the key to staying ahead of the competition.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  15:39:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Eileanar, Karsus' Enclave.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:33:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Silverymoon myself, buuuuuut...
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

FTW

If I didn't have to stop to eat and sleep, I would just read 24/7.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  22:07:44  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was thinking Silverymoon myself, buuuuuut...
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

FTW

Ah a good location indeed. But the library in Silverymoon is fairly expansive as well if i remember correctly. And you would have other entertainment options there vs Candlekeep (dreary dust-filled halls with wandering old grobnards pondering over moldy old scrolls.... oh wait...nevermind )
Evermeet would also be desireable.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  00:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When I was rudely evicted from Dweomerheart, I found the Fugue Plane a bit crowded. I would have to say that Asmodeus has spun a good tale (stories of my death have been greatly exaggerated) and so whilst I await my realtor to find me a nice, new plane, I'd say that the diversity of wizards in Waterdeep would make it a prime place to live. In addition, the great travel options granted by a port city allow for some interesting people to come through the City of Splendors.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  01:01:28  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep or Silverymoon pre-Spellplague. Perhaps Myth Drannor before the fall. Heck, anywhere in the Moonwood or Evermeet is great, too.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  05:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Waterdeep or Silverymoon pre-Spellplague. Perhaps Myth Drannor before the fall. Heck, anywhere in the Moonwood or Evermeet is great, too.

Indeed - Myth Drannor would be a great place to live after the laying of the Mythal...or Cormanthor prior to that, also.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  05:57:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

-At times, I even ignore those urges to read...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  07:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*ahem*, Please pay no heed to the madman in the Azuth costume. We of the nine hells assure you that all so called 'deities of magic' have indeed been brought to justice for crimes that cannot be listed at this time as they would surely make all women and small children present feint from horror. Take comfort knowing that you are free of Mystra and her vile ilk, and sleep soundly at night. Very soundly...

(This message brought to you by the Baatorian Department of Truth and Honesty, in the name of our glorious leader, Asmodeus the Honest One.)

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  07:25:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

*ahem*, Please pay no heed to the madman in the Azuth costume. We of the nine hells assure you that all so called 'deities of magic' have indeed been brought to justice for crimes that cannot be listed at this time as they would surely make all women and small children present feint from horror. Take comfort knowing that you are free of Mystra and her vile ilk, and sleep soundly at night. Very soundly...

(This message brought to you by the Baatorian Department of Truth and Honesty, in the name of our glorious leader, Asmodeus the Honest One.)

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  10:44:31  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Places like Halruaa, Myth Nantar, Deep Imaskar, Rhymanthiin, for obvious reasons, available knowledge and comfort.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:09:29  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You must have mistaken me for Mask, dear Brimstone. And you can tell Asmodeus that I still haven't forgiven him for changing which finger is pointed upward in my holy symbol whilst I slept during the Year of the Flippant Deity. Of course, we shall see if my lady Mystra has indeed been subverted. Many have made such a claim before, to their own folly. Rest assured that I shan't be recommending any vacations to the Nine Hells, no matter how many claims of "warm salt baths" ye claim. Blood is not a proper substance in which to bathe! 'Tis all right, though, for every time a wizard casts a spell, my power grows a bit stronger. Admittedly, Asmodeus has me at a disavantage as he gains power every time someone uses a privy. In the spirit of full disclosure, I had nothing to do with those boils on his nether-region at all, at all I say!

Brimstone, Mistress Dendar has asked that you ask Asmodeus to stop wallowing in dreams and send her more nightmares as she grows hungry. She also asked that I tell you she has a lovely cottage in a certain cave just outside the City of the Dead in which you are welcomed to take a vacation. Just move past the fangs stalagmites and look for the trail of blood; you can't miss it!

(The Baatorian Department of Health, over the objection of Asmodeus, the Filthy One, has insisted that all residents of the Nine Hells must bathe in Holy Water for purification. The Church of Azuth would like to point out that Azmodeus' use of "The High One" has not the same meaning as the title bestowed upon the First Magister, upon whom it was bestowed as an honorific as the higest of mages. Since Asmodeus has no honor, the alternate meaning has been allowed without challenge as it is what we true deities have suspected all along. Remember, children, make certain your warding circles are complete before summoning.)

I now return to my dalliance in Waterdeep.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  16:59:24  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

quote:

You must have mistaken me for Mask, dear Brimstone. And you can tell Asmodeus that I still haven't forgiven him for changing which finger is pointed upward in my holy symbol whilst I slept during the Year of the Flippant Deity. Of course, we shall see if my lady Mystra has indeed been subverted. Many have made such a claim before, to their own folly. Rest assured that I shan't be recommending any vacations to the Nine Hells, no matter how many claims of "warm salt baths" ye claim. Blood is not a proper substance in which to bathe! 'Tis all right, though, for every time a wizard casts a spell, my power grows a bit stronger. Admittedly, Asmodeus has me at a disavantage as he gains power every time someone uses a privy. In the spirit of full disclosure, I had nothing to do with those boils on his nether-region at all, at all I say!

Brimstone, Mistress Dendar has asked that you ask Asmodeus to stop wallowing in dreams and send her more nightmares as she grows hungry. She also asked that I tell you she has a lovely cottage in a certain cave just outside the City of the Dead in which you are welcomed to take a vacation. Just move past the fangs stalagmites and look for the trail of blood; you can't miss it!

(The Baatorian Department of Health, over the objection of Asmodeus, the Filthy One, has insisted that all residents of the Nine Hells must bathe in Holy Water for purification. The Church of Azuth would like to point out that Azmodeus' use of "The High One" has not the same meaning as the title bestowed upon the First Magister, upon whom it was bestowed as an honorific as the higest of mages. Since Asmodeus has no honor, the alternate meaning has been allowed without challenge as it is what we true deities have suspected all along. Remember, children, make certain your warding circles are complete before summoning.)

I now return to my dalliance in Waterdeep.

Ha! Further proof that Magisters DO have a sense of humor!! LOL!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:14:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You must have mistaken me for Mask...

Indeed I must have been mistaken. For truly you seem more an agent of Cyric, so cleverly you weave your lies and falsehoods. :p

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... I'd go for either that idyllic town on the Lake of Steam (Derlusk, I think, described in an old Ed writeup as having lots of gardens and musitions) as my current self, or in pre-Plague Halruaa as a successful wizard.

EDIT: to answer the other half of the question; first choice because the writeup made it sound really rather lovely, second choice because magic.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 04 Apr 2011 17:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  17:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
You must have mistaken me for Mask...

Indeed I must have been mistaken. For truly you seem more an agent of Cyric, so cleverly you weave your lies and falsehoods. :p

How did I know you'd bring up Cyric (clairvoyance not withstanding). I'm certain he pays Asmodeus frequent visits for their mutual...pleasure. Perhaps as a Chosen you might be involved? You just keep telling yourself whatever makes you feel stronger down in the Hells. I now return to my avatars, they are currently enjoying the finer things of mortal living in Baldur's Gate and Calimport.

If I see a lost succubus, I'll send her your way.

Cheers!

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Enwy
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  19:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Enwy's Homepage Send Enwy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely in Tethyr; preferably somewhere rural, though I'd love to tour the cities.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Go to Top of Page

Jelennet
Learned Scribe

Russia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  05:27:21  Show Profile Send Jelennet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very hard to choose when we are talking about the Realms. I'd better become a famous traveller, vizit all countries and places and choose later.
But some elven countries seem somewhat attractive...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  08:04:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's possible to have multiple abodes, so I might as well mention other places I want to live in. Waterdeep is next on my list. I'd like to discover for myself why it's called "The City of Splendors." I would go back in time and live in Halruaa, too. There's so much mystery in that realm that its single trilogy hardly revealed.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  02:03:52  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be traveling all the time, however some kind of "homebase" has to be there. In this case I'd pick the City of Splendors simply because of size and oportunities.
Another option would be a city in the Border Kingdoms and in 4e it might be Baldur's Gate as I really like big cities.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000