Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cerberus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  18:54:05  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My googling hasn't yielded much. Has Cerberus ever been D&Deified? I think he would make a great guardian for the Gates of Nessus. Perhaps even a minor Duke of Hell in his own right. We already have the Nessian Warhounds, Advanced Hellhounds. Perhaps they are whelps of Cerberus. I'd like to find 3.5 stats for this diabolic canine. Also some cool pics. Anybody know of any? Comics, video games, anime, tattoos, wherever brilliant artists congregate.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Apr 2011 18:56:07

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  18:58:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is written-up in both the 1e DD and the 2e L&L.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  21:38:24  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kezef the Chaos Hound is sort of the Realmsian mirror image of Cerberus, except he is a tad more vile with his "puss and maggots" theme.

I think this makes for a cool image for a draconic triple headed hound.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  21:55:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that due to his exact position in (is it Greek mythology?), that he hasn't been
used for any other world setting.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  22:18:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Kezef is Fenris, not Cerberus.

Cerberus has three heads.

He 'may' be detailed in one of the PS products, because I know they've included Charon and the River Styx. Hopefully, someone with more PS knowledge then me (which is most folks) will come along and either confirm or deny that.

EDIT: Two-headed Death Dogs appear in the 1e FF. Some sort of offspring, perhaps? (like an animal version of a Cambion)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Apr 2011 22:22:41
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  00:13:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Take the Hellhound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hellHound.htm), advance it, make it bigger, maybe, and apply the "multiple headed" Template from 3e Savage Species, and there you go. One variation.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  00:18:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also add the creature of legend template from I don't remember where.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  15:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost certain that was in one of the fiend folios.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  16:29:13  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy? Just play him a bit of music and he goes right to sleep...
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  16:47:09  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT: Two-headed Death Dogs appear in the 1e FF. Some sort of offspring, perhaps? (like an animal version of a Cambion)

While I don't have the 1E FF at hand, my guess is that those Death Dogs were inspired by Orthros, a two-headed monstrous dog also from Greek mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthrus (note the latinised English spelling with a 'u' instead of the Greek 'o'). In Hesiod's Theogony, which is one of the oldest extant Western poems, he is father of the (Greek) Sphinx and brother of Kerberos (who in the Theogony is fifty-headed - read the description: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0130%3Acard%3D304 -, and even hundred-headed in a later, 5th century BC poem).

Edited by - Thieran on 11 Apr 2011 16:47:53
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  17:36:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Fluffy? Just play him a bit of music and he goes right to sleep...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  17:42:01  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should nae said dat.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  17:59:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hundred-headed or even fifty-headed anything is utterly ridiculous. Either its heads would have to be proportionately tiny (which would just look silly as hell), or it wouldn't be able to lift it's heads off the ground (if they were proportionate to the body).

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I'd also add the creature of legend template from I don't remember where.
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'm almost certain that was in one of the fiend folios.

3e MM2, pg.213.

And I suppose a Canino-Hydra isn't out of the question (a multi-headed reptile with wolf-like heads).

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn. I had downloaded MM2 and the fiend folio same day. Get them mixed up every now and then.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:18:54  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A hundred-headed or even fifty-headed anything is utterly ridiculous. Either its heads would have to be proportionately tiny (which would just look silly as hell), or it wouldn't be able to lift it's heads off the ground (if they were proportionate to the body).

If taken literally, yes. But keep in mind that this is (ancient) literature and thought.

I guess you are also not a fan of the Hekatoncheires then... ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hekatonkheires
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hell, Typhon's worse than that. He had 100 dragon heads on each hand/arm/shoulder, each one of which could be torn off into a fully grown dragon. The greeks were big on things with multiple heads.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:42:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the more ancient religions had very weird, non-human gods. The Asians were particularly fond of multi-head, multi-eyed themes.

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

I guess you are also not a fan of the Hekatoncheires then... Linky
Nope - I always found them silly.

But then again, anything with a Hundred cherries is alright in my book.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Apr 2011 18:42:45
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that it adds a great deal to the discussion, but I particularly like the image of the Hundred-Handed One that showed up in the 4e Astral Sea book.

Carry on!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  18:54:46  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nope - I always found them silly.

Please trust me when I say that I don't want to sound (or be) patronising but this is a good opportunity to point out the differences in the reception of mythology etc. in different cultures and periods: I absolutely agree that the Hekatoncheires appear silly to our modern minds but we should note that they were not ridiculous in antiquity (or in the Theogony at least) but taken seriously by the poet and his audience. Quite interesting if one thinks about it!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  20:35:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I don't offend easily.

In fact, only one person on this site EVER managed to get under my skin enough for me to report them - something I am normally LOATHE to do (as a 'New Yorker', I have this thing about 'being a rat').

Good call, though. It is kinda funny when you look at what used to scare people in the past, which is pretty funny to us now (like old-school movie monsters).

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Not that it adds a great deal to the discussion, but I particularly like the image of the Hundred-Handed One that showed up in the 4e Astral Sea book.
That is INSANELY cool, Erik.

I've just changed my mind - I never pictured anything like THAT.

Epic-props for showing us that.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Apr 2011 20:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  22:24:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Carry on!

Cheers

Interesting. It's like a dream vestige in corporeal form, and with swords.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  23:55:32  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really cool!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  00:10:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is it alright if I really hate that creature?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  05:00:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Carry on!

Cheers

-What is it?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  06:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cerberus has a 2e write up in Legends & Lore p.121. There's also a version of him in the very first Gods book, the original D&D Supplement IV Gods, Demigods & Heroes p.17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000