Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 vampires in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  15:40:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you mapped your Collinwood, Markus?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Feb 2011 15:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  16:39:14  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

there's an undead group called the Midnight Men in the Stonelands
Do you recall where this was sourced from? I'd love to learn more about this group.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:09:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

there's an undead group called the Midnight Men in the Stonelands
Do you recall where this was sourced from? I'd love to learn more about this group.

It's in Gold & Glory and in one of the magazines, not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:13:53  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  17:41:51  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Alystra, I would also like to know more about the "family of gold elf vampires in Cormanthyr." Where did you find this? and how much lore is written?

It was in the "Ask Ed" thread from the end of last year, regarding questions abou the region around Lisen Sands and its history, and some other stuff. Here's what THO said: "In 75 DR the Cormanthan elves of House Tsornyl became tainted by Moander’s rot whilst destroying the Creeping Evil he sent to afflict them. Most Tsornan elves died swiftly and horribly inside the wards thrown up around Tsornyl to contain the Foul God’s corruption. Sick and starting to decay, a handful of the most magically powerful elders of the family managed to create a gate (portal) to bypass the wards and take themselves elsewhere—far across the Realms, to Luernla (“refuge-place of mine”) an isolated island in the Beacon Rocks that Nueltrara Tsornyl had come across years earlier, and used for illicit trysts with a lover (Iyrindym Oordraekur, who was the married [to Jhaeress “Wyrmgoad” Oordraekur, a fiery-tempered elf sorceress famous as a hunter and tamer of dragons in her reckless youth] head of House Oordraekur) until both tired of the perils of their lusting, and saw each other no more.
Back in her greener days, Nueltrara had cached some personally precious mementoes and some magic items on the tiny wooded isle. Upon reaching Luernla through the gate, the Tsornyl matriarch destroyed the gate in a ritual that involved the murder of her detested wastrel nephew Alavaer Tsornyl. She then sacrificed most of her magic items—and her own life—in a great working of magic that purged her Tsornyl kin of Moander’s corruption but also gave them undeath in the process.
All sixteen of the surviving members of House Tsornyl fled the island via various spellworkings. Fourteen of them survive to this day (1370s DR). They are all now a unique sort of elven undead, retaining the spellcasting abilities they had in life (almost all of the Tsornyl elders were either sorcerers or wizards) and having all the powers and abilities of a vampire lord except the ability to create vampire spawn. They can also gain additional second winds whenever they sacrifice a spell—or permanently drain a magic item, which must be in their grasp—to do so.

Fearing attack by any servants of Moander or Cormanthan elves who identified them (for House Tsornyl had some bitter rivals, many of whom had eagerly advocated the obliberation of the city of Tsornyl and all in it, to “purge the taint that will otherwise destroy us all, wood and root and leaf and elf,” within the hearing of the House Tsornyl elves trapped within the wards), all of the House Tsornyl elves met together after their flight from Luernla to work common magics to alter their appearances—and take a new family name.
They have since gone their separate ways, and now inhabit Secomber, Riatavin, Zazesspur, and Velen (among other places up and down the Sword Coast, almost always close to a large wild wood such as the High Forest or the Wealdath). All of them now resemble pale-skinned, graceful and slender humans (with fine bones, suggesting elven blood), who have light blue hair and indigo-hued eyes, and now use the family name of “Marthram.” The story they will tell (only if asked) is that they are a “very old” and now scattered human family whose origins “have been lost to memory, over time,” but that they have always been “honorable, if quiet” folk.
(This is pure fiction; the fourteen House Tsornyl survivors are all very proud, ambitious individuals, who nurse grudges and thirst for wealth and behind-the-scenes power. They work together from time to time, and take care never to cross or work against each other, but otherwise live independent lives. They will give each other shelter or minor aid without hesitation, if asked. Most of them care not a whit for laws or principles, so long as they get their own way, but they are all capable of patience and superb acting, if need be.)
Some of the younger, less principled, more active “Marthrams” are (to give the human first names they now go by, reserving their real elven names for recognition-signals among the family, if encountered in magical disguises or unexpected places or circumstances) the males Alandor, Baerlyn, Cadreth, and Doamurl and the females Anathys, Evendra, Fildrara, Ghaele, and Jarathma. Alandor plays a handsome gallant who loves to sing and entertain ladies, and to “faciliate” trade possibilities for others (profiting himself thereby). Cadreth is a ruthless, accomplished killer. Anathys and Ghaele are “pure poison” when they unleash their icy, get-more-than-even disapproval of any who don’t agree with them or fall in with their plans, but Jarathma is always sweet, always gentle, and always three for four steps ahead of any other master of manipulation; she almost always gets her own way and makes coins from the way things are done, wherever she is and whatever she’s involved in (which for some years was gem-trading and the design and sale of expensive gowns worn by the richest and haughtiest human ladies in Amn and Tethyr).
The most senior surviving female of the family is the malicious, reclusive Tlurendra (her real, elf name is Tlaethe), and the most senior surviving male is Olondor (elf name Ondoreand), who is a master manipulator and financial strategist who has very quietly become one of the wealthiest investors and landlords in Zazesspur, profiting from the hard work of literally hundreds of small merchants—and taking ruthless revenges on any who cheat him."

so although they're not typical vampires, these elves still have the same powers, etc, and would certainly fit as vampires in the Realms.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  22:33:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alystra, Great lore, that. Copied and pasted. Although I am intrigued by the idea of a coven/clan of actual blood-drinking Elven vampires. I may have to do something with that. I can't seem to get enough Elf these days.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2011 :  23:27:49  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Elves are the best Elves in FR :D Fellfire you should check out my other post on here.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  05:29:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah there should be an elf fan club.... LOL!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2011 :  17:51:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this in the archives, tradwitch...

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9633&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=elves

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  03:49:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a vampire in the Hall of the Mad Mage who
will be your friend if you stay around and talk with
her. She's totally lonely and will slake her lust
for blood and death on others in the Undermountain.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  18:30:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like it. I'd like to know about how a vampire winds up in such a position!
Because he was there FIRST.

I'll give you a hint - the main tower of the keep is made from an unknown alabaster material.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Have you mapped your Collinwood, Markus?
Nope.

I created it for the small Stonelands project at the WotC forums, along with the village of Gwarch. It is a based on the main character from the old Dark Shadows TV show (THAT vampire lived in his ancestral estates, Collinwood). Only the village is named that - the family and estate are named differently so that it isn't a straight derivation. I also chose to make him an Earl, rather then a count, because counts are so cliché. He is more of a "just live me alone" type, but he does care for the villagers and has become strangely protective of the new halfling arrivals. I'm still trying to decide what happened to him post-Spellplague.

The article I pictured (I actually had two completely different articles planned, and was bouncing between them) would be called "Lesser-known Locales of Cormyr", and would include two of my HB locales, (Gwarch and Collinwood), and two canon locales that were never really detailed (one of which was to be Castle Stone, from the story A matter of Thorns in Realms of Infamy.

The article was to focus on Gwarch - a Goblin Trading post that has become a neutral meeting place for all types, and then just describe the other locals briefly, with perhaps a tantalizing dollop of 'local gossip' or 'legends' (which of course would name several other interesting, yet never detailed, locales... typical of Ed's style). I had planned a map of Gwarch - the main focus of the article - but not one for Collinwood. My assumption was that any generic village-map would work (I may have just asked to use one already made by my friends over at the Cartographer's Guild). Gwarch I have a very specfic layout for (a tiny island with an ancient keep on it in the center of a small lake, with the trading-post growing up around the lake itself).

All I had imagined for Collinwood was a small, rural village at the very edge of the King's Forest, with the familial keep of the Earl on a small hill overlooking the village - VERY typical. The purpose was to make the place as uninteresting looking as possible, because its not supposed to draw any attention (and doesn't appear on most maps outside of official Cormyrian Gov't ones). Most folks may stop there for a night en route between High Horn and Eveningstar without ever suspecting anything out of the ordinary. The idea was to create just enough lore as a starting point for most DMs, without creating an entire adventure - any generic module (including the original Ravenloft, or the Spulzeer ones) could have been inserted there without disturbing anything.

I was hoping to tie the place to two other mysteries - The Crystal Grot and the Haunted Halls - but I hadn't gone far enough into it to have anything concrete. I was going to use some of the lore Mr Misc. and I came up with for 'Stormhorn secrets' some time ago on the WotC site (and give him credit for his participation - he had some very cool ideas about reclusive dwarves with a hidden agenda and Eldritch giants).

My new copy of Photoshop doesn't run so well on my computer, so tomorrow I am going shopping for more memory and hopefully will be back to doing something physical for the Realms - I really miss making maps. I am also finally home, so I have my 'collection' all around me once again, which I find very comforting.

Although I did find someone in Kentucky who makes my own gaming collection look like that of a rank amateur... I was both jealous and mesmerized.

And he is my GF's brother... can I pick 'em or what?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Feb 2011 20:26:57
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:30:57  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As a DM, I am against Vampiric characters because they limit what I can do. It's also extremely unfair to the rest of the party (they either have to only adventure at night, or have to split the sessions with you). Like being a Drow, it becomes an exercise in "this game is all about ME!", but much worse (then a Drow).

I think as a DM, running a game with a Vampire PC would be more difficult, but that doesn't necessarily mean the campaign has to revolve around that particular PC, same goes for Drow Pcs as well. I would make it a requirement that the PC let the others (s)he's traveling with aware of their condiditon and act accordingly. With the half-vampire template or Vampire Bloodlines, the PC can act more under the radar and not derail the campaign because most Vampire Vulnerabilities aren't present. They still have to Blood Dependancy though and that will probably rear it's ugly head in the campaign as well.

Necro'd from a two-year slumber Bright out tonight.

I dealt with such a situation when I was playing an CG Elven Cleric of Corellen Lartethian some years back in a 3.5 game. One of the party had donned a cursed breastplate that turned him into a vampire nightly. I cannot remember if he was aware of it or not, but I ended up finding out he was some kind of undead, turned him and he ran off to NPC land.

In retrospect, I should have helped his char rather than try to destroy it. He wasn't a drain or disruption, nor did the campaign by any means revolve around him. I believe an accord could have been reached in game, as the nature of the curse helped him fly under the radar. Other than offending my religion and elven sensibilities, it wasn't much of an issue.

However, I did play a vampire in Rifts, and it was much as Markustay said; I forced the GM to keep constant track of night/day, limited party to nighttime, etc. Even as a player, I thought it was BS after a few weeks and promptly rolled up a full-conversion 'borg

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99
Go to Top of Page

Jergals Spare Scythe
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  02:36:08  Show Profile Send Jergals Spare Scythe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-EDIT- Double Post

"Seek to bring order to the chaos of life, for in death there is finality and a fixedness of state. Be ready for death for it is at hand and uncompromising."

Excerpt from Jergal's Dogma, Faiths and Pantheons, page 99

Edited by - Jergals Spare Scythe on 07 Mar 2013 02:36:47
Go to Top of Page

vertus
Acolyte

Brazil
18 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2019 :  13:52:42  Show Profile Send vertus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if there is some kind of policy against animating dead threads. If so, I'll delete this gladly.

I was doing some research on FR vampires for a fellow DM, and stumbled on this thread, and found it intriguing that no one mentioned Jonathon and Jere-
miah Morningmist, that were twin high elven brothers turned vampires, one by the traditional means, and other by a succubus.
They are in 1e Lords of Darkness, in the chapter written by Jean Rabe.

"Misty morning
Clouds in the sky
Without warning
A wizard walks by"
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  13:32:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read it carefully, but I haven't seen the vampire lady who follows Malar and lives (unlives?) in Undermountain. Ed also mentioned there are Hill Giant vampires in the Sword Coast, around cliffs near to the Trollbark forest IIRC, but I'm not sure if they were only mentioned here in the forums or if they are mentioned in any published material.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

paintphob
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  19:47:14  Show Profile Send paintphob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I didn't read it carefully, but I haven't seen the vampire lady who follows Malar and lives (unlives?) in Undermountain. Ed also mentioned there are Hill Giant vampires in the Sword Coast, around cliffs near to the Trollbark forest IIRC, but I'm not sure if they were only mentioned here in the forums or if they are mentioned in any published material.

FR5 mentioned that the lower halls of Southkrypt are lair to a vampire hill giant shaman (6th level) and his three vampire hill giant slaves.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  21:46:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The vampire hill giant shaman was detailed in Dragon #236, page 80.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 02 Apr 2019 21:54:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  22:50:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The vampire hill giant shaman was detailed in Dragon #236, page 80.

LOL, the Lostafinga tribe of hobgoblins serve him. Now that's a tribal name with a story behind it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

paintphob
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  23:09:42  Show Profile Send paintphob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric.
Reading the article, it says, "Here are four unusual vampires from Faerûn ...", but I only see three mentioned in the article (Morg, Saestra, and Saed). I assume that the forth got cut for space. I wonder who the missing fourth could have been.
Go to Top of Page

paintphob
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  23:15:18  Show Profile Send paintphob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
LOL, the Lostafinga tribe of hobgoblins serve him. Now that's a tribal name with a story behind it.

They also appear in the Dungeon adventure "The Inheritance", also written by Paul Culotta.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  23:54:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks Alystra, Great lore, that. Copied and pasted. Although I am intrigued by the idea of a coven/clan of actual blood-drinking Elven vampires. I may have to do something with that. I can't seem to get enough Elf these days.

Those lore bits don't say they are blood-drinking (or lifeforce-draining), however.
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I didn't read it carefully, but I haven't seen the vampire lady who follows Malar and lives (unlives?) in Undermountain.

Dhusarra el Abhuk?

Mod edit: Fixed the coding -- the URL needed to have quotation marks around it.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Apr 2019 02:57:10
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2019 :  00:15:14  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like it. I'd like to know about how a vampire winds up in such a position!
Because he was there FIRST.

I'll give you a hint - the main tower of the keep is made from an unknown alabaster material.

My wager is a vampire was a sorceror of Thaeravel before the Netherese razed the place.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2019 :  17:50:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems no one mentioned the vampire battlerager Thibbledorf Pwent...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: