Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampires in FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  03:25:56  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just how powerful can these undead beings get? Are there any notable vampires of extreme power? I have been looking for some information on them, but pickings are slim. Age must play a factor in their power, as well as what they were before turning, etc

I have read about a few supposedly powerful Vampires, but don't know enough about their involvement in the realms.

Spoilers below.

Reading Blackstaff, I was intrigued about the prologue at the start which showed Arun and his son(You know who) both showing fear over a certain vampire wizard named Palron Kaeth(I have heard the name before, but can't remember where). If high level Wizards are afraid of him, he must be one bad dude.

And of Course, the chaos Curse showed Rufo, a vampire who became by ingesting the curse itself(Strange), but he seemed to be more powerful than average.

Anyone have any more goodies to share?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  03:44:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a couple of vampires among the Moonstars... And one of the Manshoon clones is now a seriously powerful vampire in Westgate. For info on both, you can turn to a wonderful 2E book called Cloak & Dagger.

And speaking of 2E books... It's not Realms-specific, but Van Richten's Guide to Vampires (reprised in one of the volumes of the Monster Hunter's Compendiums) is an excellent source of lore and variant rules for vampires.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  03:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issues 126, 127 and 128 of Dungeon feature a 3 part campaign arc that depicts a power struggle amongst the notable vampires of Waterdeep.

One of my main beefs with 3E is that this once iconic monster has simply become a template that can be applied to nearly any race and or species...thus you now get vampiric dragons, vampiric illithids, vampiric (insert already powerful creature here), etc, etc....

I recall reading the old Raveloft novel Vampire of the Mists which featured Jander Sunstar and elven vampire from the Realms. He was at the time deemed rather special...but not by current edition standards.

This has really ruined (for me) the notion of a classic human/humaniod vampire being powerful since basically such are now considered useful for mass mobs (i.e thugs)....A party facing even a high level human vampire might actually breath a sigh of relief since they may have already faced off with a vampiric-beholder-illithid-demonspawn

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 21 Jul 2007 10:35:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  03:49:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of two specifically -- Shyressa of the Twisted Rune and the Night King [the Manshoon clone]. Steven Schend's Empires of the Shining Sea has a little about what the vampires serving the Twisted Rune are like, as well as Shyressa [see the 3e Lords of Darkness entry for the "Twisted Rune" also]. And Master of Chains, by Jess Lebow -- specifically the sections dealing with Shyressa and her cabal of vampires. For sources on the Night King, see the "Westgate" entry in Cloak & Dagger, and the section on the Night Masks in 3e Lords of Darkness.

Additionally, I suggest you take a look through the original Lords of Darkness REF5 tome, which also has lore on vampires in the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2007 03:52:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  03:58:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a couple of vampires among the Moonstars... And one of the Manshoon clones is now a seriously powerful vampire in Westgate. For info on both, you can turn to a wonderful 2E book called Cloak & Dagger.
Of particular note is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka, the LE vampire, who has joined with the Moonstars and was a deepcover Harper agent. He's also briefly mentioned in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

Eric Boyd's also shared a few minor tidbits about vampires in the Realms through some of his replies here at Candlekeep. Steven Schend has also, mainly in regard to those LE vampires operating among the Moonstars.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2007 03:58:48
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  09:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep and the north : The Vampire Kessar page 91
Waterdeep and the north : The Vampire Shulgi page 48

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  10:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Issues 126, 127 and 128 of Dragon feature a 3 part campaign arc that depicts a power struggle amongst the notable vampires of Waterdeep.

Don't you mean the Dungeon Magazine?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  10:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Issues 126, 127 and 128 of Dragon feature a 3 part campaign arc that depicts a power struggle amongst the notable vampires of Waterdeep.

Don't you mean the Dungeon Magazine?

That I do...sorry for that slip, I was up early to go stand in line for my Potter book (did not get much sleep) ...Thanks for the heads up Asgetrion

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  15:31:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

If high level Wizards are afraid of him, he must be one bad dude.

Anyone have any more goodies to share?

The other thing to remember about vampires is that they retain what they knew in life. A vampire not only becomes a more dangerous physical specimen, able to drain the life out of the living with a touch and to syphon their blood, and difficult to kill permanently if you don't trap them or find their resting place, but, for example, if they happened to be a skilled warrior, or a powerful wizard, those skills would still be evident above and beyond their new talents as a vampire.

Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  14:38:10  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of my main beefs with 3E is that this once iconic monster has simply become a template that can be applied to nearly any race and or species...thus you now get vampiric dragons, vampiric illithids, vampiric (insert already powerful creature here), etc, etc....

This has really ruined (for me) the notion of a classic human/humaniod vampire being powerful since basically such are now considered useful for mass mobs (i.e thugs)....A party facing even a high level human vampire might actually breath a sigh of relief since they may have already faced off with a vampiric-beholder-illithid-demonspawn

Even though the vampire template can be applied to a wide variety of creatures, it doesn't necessarily have to be used in this way on a frequent basis. I know I'd rather have the option of using the template instead of knowing that there is only a narrow range of races that could be vampiric. A vampiric beholder might be an interesting encounter once, but wouldn't be the kind of thing players expect to kill three of each day before breakfast. A DM who feels that vampirism is more suited to humanoid races like humans and elves can easily make sure that these are encountered more frequently. I do welcome the vampire as a template in 3E!

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  16:22:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Issues 126, 127 and 128 of Dungeon feature a 3 part campaign arc that depicts a power struggle amongst the notable vampires of Waterdeep.

I recall reading the old Raveloft novel Vampire of the Mists which featured Jander Sunstar and elven vampire from the Realms. He was at the time deemed rather special...but not by current edition standards.

Well, technically the vampire template can only be applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. So its still basically a humanoid thing.

That having been said, we have seen (in the Vampires of Waterdeep and one other place) a vampiric gibbering mouther. This is kind of presented as a scary aberration from the norm though.

Vampiric dragons have a origin in the Realms detailed in the Year of Rogue Dragons books, but they aren't exactly the spawn of some humanoid vampire that drained one of the behemoths dry, so if the origin for them in those books is the main origin of them in Faerun, then they shouldn't be too common (but can make for a nasty surprise).

Illithid vampires from Lords of Madness are actually unrelated to other vampires, and are feral undead creatures that don't have the intellect of other illithids.

However, if you use the Monstrous Vampire template from Ghostwalk, you can have that full range of bizarre aberration, fey, giant, or animal vampires, but if that doesn't appeal to you, its fairly easy to keep this a campaign specific option (although D&D minis and MWP DragonLance products have both features "monstrous" vampires).
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  18:36:42  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just how powerful do these guys get? Would they be a challenge to, say, one of the chosen of Mystra if they were a powerful mage before they became? Or someone like Szass tam is the Zulkir of Necromancy, so should i be under the impression he would have nothing to fear from Vamps...
Are they the second most powerful undead behind Liches ebcause they retain what they were as humans....etc, or can they become more powerful than liches

Ok, say not a chosen or powerful mage, but how big a problem would they be to someone like, say, Erevis Cale or Arylin moonblade, or A psionicist like Megadon or Kimmuriel Oblodra, or your average illithid...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  19:41:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just how powerful do these guys get? Would they be a challenge to, say, one of the chosen of Mystra if they were a powerful mage before they became? Or someone like Szass tam is the Zulkir of Necromancy, so should i be under the impression he would have nothing to fear from Vamps...
Are they the second most powerful undead behind Liches ebcause they retain what they were as humans....etc, or can they become more powerful than liches

Ok, say not a chosen or powerful mage, but how big a problem would they be to someone like, say, Erevis Cale or Arylin moonblade, or A psionicist like Megadon or Kimmuriel Oblodra, or your average illithid...

It all depends... There's simply too many factors. Even a relatively weak vampire can be a very serious threat, if he has the time to prepare, and/or to gather allies and equipment...

On the flip side, vampires have serious weaknesses, so a powerful vampire can be killed by a much weaker foe, if the foe can get to the vampire's coffin while vampy is asleep...

It's almost an X vs. Y debate, which we discourage here, for the same reasons: "Yeah, but if he has time to do this, then he'll win..."

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  15:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't one recent issue of DRAGON list some variant vampires, at least one of which (feral vampires, I think) could be creatures other than humanoid or monstrous humanoid?
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  13:32:23  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'all remember the enemy of Cadderly in The Chaos Curse?? Cadderly's enemy was a vampire and he retained everything he knew from before he was a vampire and he was almost more than a challenge for Cadderly before he became a Chosen of his Deity.

Oops, I didn't see the part where the initial poster wrote about the vamp in The Chaos Curse. My bad.

What about the vamps in Baldur's Gate game??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - Drakul on 26 Jul 2007 13:35:31
Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  17:26:55  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bodhi was a vampire from Baldur's Gate II. There's a bit of info (spoiler warning for both novel and game) at http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bodhi - also I think there must be some stats for her somewhere so you can get an idea of just how powerful (or not, maybe) she was, but I can't find them. Perhaps someone knows where though.

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com

Edited by - fw190a8 on 26 Jul 2007 17:33:51
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  18:47:00  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the vamp in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  21:26:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were still vampiric Ixitchitl (sp?) in 1e/2e.

There's quite a few of them in the Sea of Fallen Stars, last I heard.

Scariest variant: Vampire kender from Ravenloft

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jul 2007 21:27:48
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  23:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ixitxachitl are the subject of one of Ed's Ecology articles, in Dragon #85. (Stress on the second syllable!) They're also discussed in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, and one features in 'The Halls of the Beast-Tamers'.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  14:55:08  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vampiric Ixitchitl was converted to 3.0 stats in Monster Manual II(as was the "regular" ixitchitl [or however it's spelled]), which also notes that although they share many traits with vampires, they are, in fact, not undead.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  21:39:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there an upper limit to the strength of vampires? I know that a 1000-year old vampire is incredibly powerful, and all but immune to many of the things that can harm vampires, but what about a vampire who has lived for 8000 years? Or one who was turned into a vampire because of a failed magical experiment when the Arrukh ruled? There has to be some limit, or such vampires would simply be unstoppable, wouldn't they?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  02:09:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Older Vampires are immune to things the younger one's are not in FR? Like what?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  12:13:12  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A Patriarch class vampire could stay in the sun all day with no ill effects, for instance.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  19:37:20  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Libris Mortis, although it's not Realms canon yet, tells about an Evolved Undead which is a template you can add to any undead multiple times. It doesn't give any immunities, but it gives an undead faster healing (+3 per turn), some spell-like abilities, a +1 to AC, and a few more things. The explanation of the template is because as an undead grows older, it becomes more and more connected to the Negative Energy Plane.
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  21:03:47  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

A Patriarch class vampire could stay in the sun all day with no ill effects, for instance.

Khorne,
The Patriarch vampy is from Ravenloft (I'm quite fond of the progression myself, and use it in my realms games...).

My favorite part of the progression is that it makes vampirism feel evil and cursed and vile all at the same time.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  07:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the web addition on the WOTC site, the "Vampire Lord" template. I'm actually trying to put together Vampire Lord/monk npc/bad guy that would launch a one person attack on the Order of the Yellow Rose.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  05:11:08  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do Vampires in FR also get bonuses for long life? Like sun protection, etc?
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2007 :  16:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While he was mention briefly by another poster, I think Jander Sunstar deserves a nod. He was an elven vampire - originaly infected while trying to fight the vampires who took over Merrydale and turned it into Daggerdale. He eventually was transported into the mist of Ravenloft and ended up at Strahd's castle. Strahd took him into his house and tried to turn him to evil. Eventually, Jandar became quite powerful and even challenged Strahd (although that failed too).

Speaking of the Vampires of Merrydale, the Northern Journey Ggroup added some interesting non-canon FR lore to them in episode #4 - The Backlands.

According to the Northern Journey Project, a drow (or half-drow) female named Gwath summoned 15 great vampire lords from another plane, immediately exerted control over them, and ordered them to infect all of Merrydale with vampirism. So the vampires that infected the dale (and Jandar) originated from a different plane.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2007 :  04:19:03  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for answers regarding Forgotten realms vampires only. Ravenloft doesn't really count IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  02:43:47  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, I just realized that I never came back to this topic because nobody bumped it with an answer regarding the FR vamps and sun immunity.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  04:03:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was hoping for answers regarding Forgotten realms vampires only. Ravenloft doesn't really count IMO.

I know of no info suggestion Forgotten Realms vampires get anything beyond the standard vampire template.

That said, even with your dismissal of Ravenloft, I still have to recommend Van Richten's Guide to Vampires. That book can very much help you customize and tweak vampires to be anything you want. It doesn't matter that it's not Realms-specific -- it's your game.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000