Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Slavery in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  18:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In general. In Thay. In drow cities. Westgate. Anywhere else. You choose.
Where to find something about it? Has Ed broached this topic? Or any other Sage of Candlekeep?
Zi

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  19:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Where to find something about it? Has Ed broached this topic? Or any other Sage of Candlekeep?
Zi

As far as the drow are concerned, I believe there is some info regarding slavery in Menzoberranzan in the aptly named boxed set.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The_Orconian
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  20:40:02  Show Profile Send The_Orconian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old Empires, Calimshan, Holy-warrior types in Zakhara an elsewhere in the Shining Lands as well.

Drow enslaved by other Drow are referred to as Battle-Captives, and given a slightly higher status then other Drow slaves.

Orcs am gewt peeble

Edited by - The_Orconian on 11 Jan 2011 20:43:07
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're interested in slavery in fifteenth century Calimshan that's a large component of my upcoming novel, Sandstorm.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  23:57:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zi

You can perform a search here at Candlekeep, as this topic has been dealt with previously.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  04:43:51  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melvaunt has a slave market. I believe Zhentil Keep, Mulmaster both have slavery.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  08:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Zi

You can perform a search here at Candlekeep, as this topic has been dealt with previously.

Tried. Many irrelevant things popped up and nothing on topic, so I decided to start a new scroll.
If there's an old scroll about this, please provide us with a link!

Old Empires, drow - that I knew. Calimshan was a surprise.

What do you think can be said about a slave's life? Where it's relatively safe and where it isn't? Would you make a slave NPC/PC?

Any tidbits (slave markets, how to buy a slave etc) hiding out there?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  09:04:13  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hlondeth and I guess other city states in this reagion uses slaves too.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  11:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I was scrolling down, for some reason I thought you said you can perform slavery here at Candlekeep
Need....More....Coffee.......

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 12 Jan 2011 11:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  02:29:04  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Necromancing" this topic...

I think Sembia also has "legal" slavery to some degree. One of Volo's Guide makes reference to "Sembian slavers".

Although I was searching information for my actual campaign, I found very little for that region. Anyone knows where to find more in-depth info about Sembia?

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  07:49:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia was left deliberately vague in AD&D 1E/2E, as promised by TSR, so you would have to look to lore published from 3E onwards.

I cant say whether slavery is an institution in Sembia, aside perhaps from a small number of criminals in servitude or zealous religious orders and such. But Sembian slavers might be merchants based in Sembia who buy and sell their wares abroad in places where slavery is legal. Sembian merchants are noted in many sources for being driven by pragmatism and greed, and while not necessarily evil they are easily able to balance their morals against their profits.

Then again, Sembia does harbour a few NPCs from Thay and other such evil lands, and the lore sometimes describes them as operating illegal (or very barely legal) ventures involving things like spying, smuggling, and slavery. One other thing which is well-known about Sembia is that - through properly-placed bribes and gifts and business arrangements - almost anything can be made legal. Sembia seems to be filled with ferengi magistrates, where even the laws of the land are just another marketable commodity.

I recall references from a novel - alas, I do not recall which one - wherein a minor noble family had slaves on their estates in the Sembian countryside. Perhaps an underground slave market thrives just outside tightly-ruled Sembian city walls? In other novels, rich families employ servants on their estates.

Sembia roughly overlaps the lands of Cormanthor and many Dales. Many of the inhabitants of those places would abhor the notion of slavery and actively combat it passionately. It seems like possession of slaves would attract endless attacks - overt and clandestine - which would occupy a great deal of Sembias soldiers on permanent garrisons, patrols, and enforcement duties. A costly military arrangement which might be judged highly unprofitable in the long term.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  08:08:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll note that pgs. 86-87 of the FRCS 3e make a blanket statement about slavery being illegal in most of the Heartlands except for the Moonsea. I'm assuming this includes Sembia as part of the Heartlands.

Of course, we do know that while not exclusively "dealing in the slave trade", a retired merchant judge, a bergun, of Daerlun for example can sentence convicted thieves to imprisonment in solitary deep cells where they are never heard from again. That is the official stance. Unofficially, the criminals are often sold into slavery. Drugged, these criminals are set into closed carts whereupon they are then taken to Urmlaspyr and placed aboard ships. From there, they are then taken across the Inner Sea, where they are likely to be sold in slave-trading locals both in the south and to the east.

Make of that what you will for your campaigns.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Feb 2015 08:09:15
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  12:29:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once around the Realms has slaves being transported by boat in it. From Hillsfar?... I can't recall :-/

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  13:46:08  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank guys! Very explanatory. I didn't know that Sembia was intended to be a "blank sand-box", that explains a lot.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  17:00:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calimport, of course.
Local statistics are: average 5 slaves/citizen, 35% citizens do not own any, so 7.7/owner. Also, since about 15% control more than 85% of wealth, the distribution probably is even more uneven.
212k citizens total; slaves, residents who don't own land and dependant rural families don't count, and there's a lot of visitors, total population 900k-2000k depending on season.
Craftsmen rarely own slaves, though some can afford it.
There's of course the whole movement dedicated to facilitating escapes (Nadhari) and Ilmatari shrine of St. Asref - their patron saint.

Skullport got to have something, at least on Xanathar's Guild.
And any sourcebook or module detailing Thay.

quote:

I'll note that pgs. 86-87 of the FRCS 3e make a blanket statement about slavery being illegal in most of the Heartlands except for the Moonsea. I'm assuming this includes Sembia as part of the Heartlands.

And even then, it's often "illegal, but thriving", and varies between main trade and auxiliary for different merchants. Even if they don't do it openly, both buyers and sellers are present in the first place and can find each other.
Blaskar Toldovar used to operate in Scornubel - remove him, there are still his trade contacts and competition.
Cormyrean nobles occasionally ship inconvenient folk to Westgate - but it's not like they would simply walk into a random port tavern and look for the guy in shadiest corner or something, would they?..

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  08:53:01  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume slavery is widespread. Or other forms such as indentured servitude. Good societies could potentially have slavery, too, for example Mulhorand. I think that slavery is a common pattern in human history so it would be present in the realms as much as the real world
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  08:52:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed had this to say about slavery:

There has always been a thriving slaving business in Sembia, Westgate, and Marsember (I’ve personally worked at least a dozen references to it into various FR releases, down the years; whenever you read about noble “kidnappings,” that’s what’s going on), but by the very nature of the business as practiced in that part of the Realms, there aren’t named, high-profile “slaving groups.”

Instead, it’s always a few individuals doing snatch-and-grab jobs and fetching captives (often drugged to keep them silent, eating and drinking little, and not trying to escape) to a hiding-place they control, from which they can readily be transferred aboard the ship of a captain who’s covertly dealing in slaves (an important source of income for some Sea of Fallen Stars pirates). There aren’t a lot of shipcaptains involved, per se, but there ARE a lot of little slaving cabals (of a dozen people at most, and half of those are usually guards and “heave the drugged bodies” muscle, with six at most being the active snatchers and thinkers). Many of them can (if someone starts to hunt or hound them) call on the occasional assistance of evil wizards and priests in return for bodies to experiment on or use in rituals. So that’s why you “haven’t heard mention” of power groups operating: they’re very small, secretive, informal gangs. And yes, they are hated and feared. Folk in Marsember tend to be blasé about them, and Sembians even know and accept that hiring someone to have a rival or fellow heir or creditor “removed” is a daily business option, if one dares to go asking and hiring - - but Dalefolk will attack suspected slavers on sight.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  18:28:12  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also point out that slavery is extremely common place in the Vilhon Reach and is practiced openly, particularly in Chondath, Sespech, and Nimpeth. Nimpeth is known both for being a thriving slave port, as well as the exporter of some of the best wine anywhere in Faerun. (This means that anyone enjoying such vintage is literally enjoying the fruits of slave labor.)

In Nimpeth, which is viewed as the slave capital of the Reach, they will accept large numbers of individuals being sold into slavery with no questions asked. They have a thriving slave market in the center of town. Their slaves come from all over, but seem to come from two primary sources. The first are prisoners of war who were captured and sold into slavery during the many conflicts that take place throughout the Reach, and the second would be the nearby nomadic and tribal Lions directly to the south and southwest. The Lions are a race of humans who predominate around the Lake of Steam, living and wandering between the various city-states there. They are divided up into several major tribes, and can be read about in the Empires of the Shining Sea. Many of them worship Nobanion.

Slaves, at least in Nimpeth, are legally the property of their owners, and they can do with them as they please. However, it would be a misconception to believe that slaves are always treated horribly by their Masters. Treatment varies from individual to individual, but some slaves live rather comfortable lives. It is even not unheard of for a man to marry one or more of his slaves -- it is not uncommon for men to have more than one wife in Nimpeth.

Slavery in Nimpeth, and likely throughout most of the Reach, is viewed less through the "superior race vs inferior race" context, and more likely through "superior culture vs inferior culture" and "free vs unfree". In other words, individuals taken as slaves are not viewed as inherently inferior, simply as backward and uneducated if from another culture. The laws of the Reach are clearly defined along the boundaries of free citizens and individuals who are owned by free citizens.

Stepping away from canon, and speculating a bit here, I suspect that slavery in the Reach is very similar to slavery in ancient Rome. Slaves would literally work everywhere, from private households, to the mines and fields, to serving the various guilds and temples. They would be used to work on government and civil engineering projects that require lots of labor, such as roads, aqueducts, and large public buildings. A slave, at a glance, would be somewhat difficult to distinguish from a common everyday citizen, though most are likely physically branded in some way as to mark them as slaves.

I suspect that they might actively engage in the practice of manumission, which is the legal ability for slaves to earn their freedom. As a result, slaves are likely freed in considerable numbers, with some being freed outright, and others being required to buy their own freedom (similar to debt bondage). This would be held out to slaves as a means to keep them obedient and hard working.

In the case where a slave is freed, proper paperwork would be filed with the local magistrate and the former slave would either be given full or partial citizenship based on law and custom. This means that any children that they have would be born as free citizens, after their formal manumission, including the right to hold land and other property, including slaves of their own.

As a result, it would not be uncommon to find freed slaves working the same jobs as common citizens, fully integrated into the society and the culture. Some may even become wealthy. However, such rises to power would be extremely rare, and most would likely find the stigma of slavery difficult to overcome.

I am sure there are reform minded individuals throughout the Reach. They would range from the Dalelander mindset which would favor the total abolishment of slavery, and toward the more moderate (and likely far more common) mindset which would advocate for laws governing the fair treatment of slaves to prevent abuse.

I would continue to draw inspiration from the Roman model of slavery. (Which can be read in more detail here.) It is extremely apparent that slavery in the Reach is not based on race, and thus the Roman model is the best thing that I can think of as a real world analog. Most of the canon stuff I discussed comes from the Vilhon Reach and Empires of the Shining Sea source books.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Stepping away from canon, and speculating a bit here, I suspect that slavery in the Reach is very similar to slavery in ancient Rome. Slaves would literally work everywhere, from private households, to the mines and fields, to serving the various guilds and temples.

There's no need to step away from canon, nor speculate. We identify slavery in the modern age to be associated with racial bondage. It's actually a blind spot because of our modern sensitivities. (I'm not trying to minimize it either.) Slavery in the middle ages and the ancient world is the correct analogue to slavery in a fantasy setting. Slavery in the ancient world was part of the caste system as well as an economic system.

Edited by - Rymac on 16 Feb 2015 00:15:55
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  23:44:50  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What demi-human cultures & societies practice slavery, in any? It's hard to imagine dwarves, halflings or elves owning other beings as property. For one thing, a properly-functioning slave economy would require adherence to intricate laws & paperwork, and given the chaotic nature of many demi-humans, it seems unlikely.

Conversely, in human-dominated societies, are some demi-humans especially prized as certain types of slave? Dwarven smiths or miners, halfling butlers, elven pleasure-slaves?

Edited by - BenN on 15 Feb 2015 23:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  00:02:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us not forget all the monstrous humanoids, goblinoids, orcs, ogres, gnolls, kobolds, and even giants or dragons who might easily enslave anybody they encounter. Such slaves may not have much of a life expectancy, however, unless (or perhaps especially because) they exhibit valuable skills and talents.

Some of these creatures might, from time to time, make special arrangements with human slavers to refill their stables. Or even to procure certain individuals with specific talents they require.

I could easily imagine Zhents handing a pile of elven slaves to a local orc tribe. Or operatives within the Cult of the Dragon trading subjugated skilled workers to a dragon who needs to craft some magical item or whatnot. Red Wizards might happily provide slave stock to liches interested in necromantic and anatomical researches. In return, the human organizations might gain some immunity from attack or ensure the caravans and settlements and agents of their competitors attract more attacks. Alliances could be settled in which both sides gain access to steel, magic, gold, and territory ... all they need to do is pay with slaves.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Feb 2015 00:11:12
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  00:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

What demi-human cultures & societies practice slavery, in any? It's hard to imagine dwarves, halflings or elves owning other beings as property. For one thing, a properly-functioning slave economy would require adherence to intricate laws & paperwork, and given the chaotic nature of many demi-humans, it seems unlikely.

Conversely, in human-dominated societies, are some demi-humans especially prized as certain types of slave? Dwarven smiths or miners, halfling butlers, elven pleasure-slaves?

Certainly not good dwarves, halflings, or elves. However, Drow for certain practice slavery, possibly the Duergar would practice it as well. A society of evil halflings? Probably not, as they'd be two busy trying to pick your pocket and steal stuff. (Pretty sure halflings don't need to be necessarily evil to do that usual thievery stuff either!)

The inverse? Yea. Zhentil Keep, Hillsfar, and Thay being three examples in the Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Let us not forget all the monstrous humanoids, goblinoids, orcs, ogres, gnolls, kobolds, and even giants or dragons who might easily enslave anybody they encounter. Such slaves may not have much of a life expectancy, however, unless (or perhaps especially because) they exhibit valuable skills and talents.

Especially if monstrous humanoids are allied with other evil power groups, city-states, and/or nations. Nor should we forget the more "alien" creatures and cultures that likely practice slavery in one form or another: Aboleth, Mind Flayers, etc..

Edited by - Rymac on 16 Feb 2015 00:25:25
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  05:30:37  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Mulhorand, slaves were the property of the gods, not mortals, and had certain protections as a result; killing or maiming them was an insult to the gods themselves. Old Empires explicitly states that slaves in Mulhorand were better off than in most other countries, especially neighboring Unther or Thay. I remember reading somewhere (I'm not sure if it was canon source or not) that one of the Mulhorandi advantages in the invasion of Unther was the enthusiastic support of slaves whose lot was much better under the Mulhorandi pantheon than Gilgeam.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  13:04:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Some of these creatures might, from time to time, make special arrangements with human slavers to refill their stables. Or even to procure certain individuals with specific talents they require.

I could easily imagine Zhents handing a pile of elven slaves to a local orc tribe. Or operatives within the Cult of the Dragon trading subjugated skilled workers to a dragon who needs to craft some magical item or whatnot. Red Wizards might happily provide slave stock to liches interested in necromantic and anatomical researches. In return, the human organizations might gain some immunity from attack or ensure the caravans and settlements and agents of their competitors attract more attacks. Alliances could be settled in which both sides gain access to steel, magic, gold, and territory ... all they need to do is pay with slaves.

Actually, I half wonder the reverse. In other words, we picture slaves and immeditately picture humans in slavery. I picture the exact opposite, with human sheriffs even in some relatively good territories capturing goblins and kobolds and selling them to passing slavers. Then those races are short-lived anyway, so setting them up as breeding stock to make more slaves can easily be a reward for good behavior (and/or a punishment for bad behavior is to not be allowed to breed).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  16:08:34  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any record of a slave rising, à la Spartacus, in the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Mulhorand is the result of one that comes to mind the quickest.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  20:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certain ancient and extremely traditional elven families enslave humans, thinking them little more than cattle. It's noted in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I think under the Races section, but I don't have that book at the moment, so can't give an exact cite.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  21:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never mind. I found my book, and the description. Pages 12-13: "The drow and certain elder sun and moon elven nobility (House Starym, for instance) are hauty esthetes who... and humans, halflings, orcs, and crossbreeds as children so far beneath elves in their intelligence and cutural development that they are dismissed as little better than animals able to follow instructions. This makes those latter races ideal - in their eyes - slaves who can be collected, bred for traits, experimented upon with herbs, poisons, maigc, and surgeries, and - for entertainment and betting purposes - hunted or used in races, fights, and other sporting contests."

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  01:48:42  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves look a little bit more evil every day to me...

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Mulhorand is the result of one that comes to mind the quickest.

The history of Mulhorand and the Imaskar Empire is great, I've just read it for the first time. Thanks for the tip.
It seems that in 4e people of the long lost "Deep Imaskar" came out from the ground again.

Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  05:24:56  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Certain ancient and extremely traditional elven families enslave humans, thinking them little more than cattle. It's noted in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I think under the Races section, but I don't have that book at the moment, so can't give an exact cite.

Canon heresy(?)idea:

Lolth is the true elf creator goddess.
She didn't betray the Seldarine; they turned against her when they rejected her wise teachings of elvish supremacy.

Maybe that's not true, but the drow believe it.

Anybody know if there's already something like this in canon?

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  05:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

Canon heresy(?)idea:

Lolth is the true elf creator goddess.
She didn't betray the Seldarine; they turned against her when they rejected her wise teachings of elvish supremacy.

Maybe that's not true, but the drow believe it.

Anybody know if there's already something like this in canon?

I like that idea as an elven creation heresy. It would certainly fit in with House Dlardrageth, given their fey'ri status.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000