Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Specific pasha in Calimshan?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  20:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail! I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm looking for some help identifying a specific pasha in Calimshan: The one who rules over Manshaka.

I have a player whose backstroy includes references to this pasha, but in going back over my own notes, I seem to have either misplaced some of my sources or, foolishly, failed to source certain details. A lot of the language is very specific, and I feel like at least some of it was taken from or inspired by canon material. However, Empires of the Shining Sea describes the throne in Manshaka as currently vacant (p110).

In case it helps, I'm including the quote taken from the character's introduction which sounds as though I was looking at some sort of official material when I wrote it:

quote:
The government of Calimshan is far from perfect, flawed by the corruption and indulgence of its decadent rulers—as you have come to know well during the last year and more. The Pasha of Manshaka, especially, is a man as ruthless as he is demanding in his tastes; not so far from the capital, he grates openly at the splendor and plenty of Calimport, which surpasses that of his own city despite its position as one of the largest and most prosperous in the nation. Whispers among the servant class cannot compare to the truth of the Pasha's envy and insecurity: It is well-known (at least, within his palace) that the Pasha has long craved that which he is unlikely to attain: The seat and title of Syl-Pasha, ruler of all Calimshan and answerable to none. Denied all opportunity to make good on his dreams, though, he wallows in frustration nearing madness, living out his rage through his attempts to build Manshaka into a greater city than Suldolphor or even Calimport—the greatest in the country.

Unfortunately, the Pasha's strength lies in control and management of people, not in the administration of numbers or resources. In a different ruler, this would be a strength—someone who recognized their own limitations would delegate responsibility to capable subordinates, ensuring a successful regime. The Pasha is incapable of admitting fault, however, perhaps even to himself, and hoards his power; many of his sultans are useless cronies, appointed on a whim to replace more hesitant noblemen with sufficiently fawning aristocrats who will stroke the Pasha's swollen ego—and send a clear message to even the most capable fellow sultans that their Pasha will brook neither defiance nor criticism, regardless of the consequences.

As a result, Manshaka stagnates, agitating its Pasha further. Sunk in paranoid depression broken by violent rages, he lurks within his ostentatious estate at the heart of the coastal city, taking what pleasure he can from small diversions, like his plentiful harem. An avowed collector of only the best and most beautiful, he snatches up those whom he likes, and who is there to stop him?

Any help at all is appreciated!

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.

Edited by - Morgan Coldsoul on 21 Feb 2015 20:45:55

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  21:23:10  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure the last mentioned pasha of Manshaka was Abon Duum, the Syl-Pasha's mentor before his rise to power, who disappeared in 1357 DR. El Pesarkhal deliberately kept that throne vacant into the early 1370s at least.

There are at least 3 other pashas in the city: Jhiavor (an enforcer for El Pesarkhal), Ladan el Viscek (a slaver) and Nur el Kahmir (a spy for El Pesarkhal) but none of them claim the throne of Manshaka.

Manshaka doesn't appear on any maps after 3rd edition and I assume it was ruined plus the reference to Suldophor obviously places your campaign before 4e. The background description doesn't really match with either Abon Duum or El Pesarkhal (who declared himself sultan rather than pasha) so I doubt your player is quoting any canon.

Well-written though!

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 21 Feb 2015 21:39:46
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  22:10:04  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah; I don't touch anything 4e. But the quote was from me rather than a player, which is why I was trying to figure out where I got it from. >_< I'm sure it was, at the very least, heavily inspired by something I read, to the tune of basically looking at a page and then typing, looking and typing, looking and typing, sort of thing.

I know Empires of the Shining Sea describes how the Syl-Pasha deliberately left the throne empty, which is why I was confused as to where all this description came from. :/ Shame on me for not keeping better notes, in this instance, definitely, since now I need them. So, everything you say is completely correct...which forces me to wonder where in Oghma's name I got all this. As much as I'd love to give myself credit for sheer creativity, I remain certain I took at least part of it from canon—I just have absolutely no idea where.

EDIT: It's possible I may have been inspired by a different pasha or something, too, and just moved them from another, less relevant city to Manshaka simply to have somebody there...but I doubt it, since I rarely make those kinds of gross adjustments to Realmslore in my games. I'm sure I picked Manshaka because of the nature of the character and his backstory, which means I was reading something that made me decide it was the correct city to use.

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.

Edited by - Morgan Coldsoul on 21 Feb 2015 22:13:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000